Their idea of an offer you can't refuse is an offer... and you'd better not refuse.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

SubjectAuthor
* Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Pamela
+* Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Jeff Layman
|+* Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Pamela
||`* Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Andy Burns
|| `- Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Jonathan Ward
|`* Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Chris Bacon
| +* Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?David Hill
| |`- Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Bill Davy
| `- Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Pamela
`* Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Martin Brown
 +* Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?The Natural Philosopher
 |`* Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Martin Brown
 | +* Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Jeff Layman
 | |+* Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?The Natural Philosopher
 | ||`* Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Graeme
 | || `- Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Martin Brown
 | |`- Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Jonathan Ward
 | `- Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?David
 `- Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?Pamela

1
Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<XnsAD9F7E4197B6C37B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1374&group=uk.rec.gardening#1374

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 12:24:41 +0100
 by: Pamela - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 11:24 UTC

Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

I want to kill off ivy in a privet hedge and I'm told ivy can be a bit
resistant to glyphosate at the best of times. So I was considering SBK
but will it work with reduced plant growth at this time of year?

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<shaqdr$o3b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1376&group=uk.rec.gardening#1376

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 18:03:54 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 17:03 UTC

On 08/09/2021 12:24, Pamela wrote:
> Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?
>
> I want to kill off ivy in a privet hedge and I'm told ivy can be a bit
> resistant to glyphosate at the best of times. So I was considering SBK
> but will it work with reduced plant growth at this time of year?

Ivy is still growing well and the soil is warm, so you have time to
spray. However, you'll kill the privet too unless you are very careful.
The active ingredient of SBK (triclopyr) is not inactivated once it
reaches the soil, unlike glyphosate.

I find glyphosate pretty ineffective against ivy even on repeated
application. "Validate"
(<https://www.progreen.co.uk/validate-1l-maximises-herbicide-performance/>)
might improve things, but I think that it's only available to professionals.

--

Jeff

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<XnsAD9FC5315990337B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1377&group=uk.rec.gardening#1377

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 19:23:05 +0100
 by: Pamela - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 18:23 UTC

On 18:03 8 Sep 2021, Jeff Layman said:
> On 08/09/2021 12:24, Pamela wrote:
>>
>> Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?
>>
>> I want to kill off ivy in a privet hedge and I'm told ivy can be a
>> bit resistant to glyphosate at the best of times. So I was
>> considering SBK but will it work with reduced plant growth at this
>> time of year?
>
> Ivy is still growing well and the soil is warm, so you have time to
> spray. However, you'll kill the privet too unless you are very
> careful. The active ingredient of SBK (triclopyr) is not inactivated
> once it reaches the soil, unlike glyphosate.
>
> I find glyphosate pretty ineffective against ivy even on repeated
> application. "Validate"
> (<https://www.progreen.co.uk/validate-1l-maximises-herbicide-performa
> nce/>) might improve things, but I think that it's only available to
> professionals.

I am not having much success with glyphosate but spraying it onto ivy in
a privet hedge is pretty hit and miss and my aim might be to blame.

I heard SBK was better on ivy. Validate looks interesting.

One web page suggested removing ivy leaves to force regrowth and then
applying the weedkiller to the tender new leaves -- but I doubt the
weather is now suitable for sufficient regrowth.

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<shb2o2$1q4r$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1379&group=uk.rec.gardening#1379

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 20:25:54 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 19:25 UTC

On 08/09/2021 18:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
> I find glyphosate pretty ineffective against ivy even on repeated
> application.

I use the "conifer thinning" technique, and it works very well. See the
label.

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<ipsjccF8frqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1380&group=uk.rec.gardening#1380

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 21:05:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 20:05 UTC

Pamela wrote:

> One web page suggested removing ivy leaves to force regrowth and then
> applying the weedkiller to the tender new leaves

Sever the main stem(s) with secateurs, wait a few months.

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<ipt0dhFastcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1381&group=uk.rec.gardening#1381

From: dav...@abacus-nurseries.co.uk (David Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 00:47:59 +0100
 by: David Hill - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 23:47 UTC

On 08/09/2021 20:25, Chris Bacon wrote:
> On 08/09/2021 18:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> I find glyphosate pretty ineffective against ivy even on repeated
>> application.
>
> I use the "conifer thinning" technique, and it works very well. See the
> label.
try adding a few drops of washing up liquid. it acts as a weting agent
and helps the chemicals go through the waxy outer layer of the leaf.

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<iptsvrFfti6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1382&group=uk.rec.gardening#1382

From: Bil...@XchelSys.co.uk (Bill Davy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 08:55:39 +0100
 by: Bill Davy - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 07:55 UTC

On 09/09/2021 00:47, David Hill wrote:
> On 08/09/2021 20:25, Chris Bacon wrote:
>> On 08/09/2021 18:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> I find glyphosate pretty ineffective against ivy even on repeated
>>> application.
>>
>> I use the "conifer thinning" technique, and it works very well. See
>> the label.
> try adding a few drops of washing up liquid. it acts as a weting agent
> and helps the chemicals go through the waxy outer layer of the leaf.

Or beat some parts of the ivy to break the surface, and ease tension.

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<87f77214-641b-43d8-8c7a-ee38e991b283n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1384&group=uk.rec.gardening#1384

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 03:33:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: ward...@hotmail.co.uk (Jonathan Ward)
 by: Jonathan Ward - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 10:33 UTC

On Wednesday, September 8, 2021 at 9:05:34 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
> Pamela wrote:
>
> > One web page suggested removing ivy leaves to force regrowth and then
> > applying the weedkiller to the tender new leaves
> Sever the main stem(s) with secateurs, wait a few months.

And then paint SBK concentrated onto the stump.

Jonathan

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<XnsADA27877A498C37B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1389&group=uk.rec.gardening#1389

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 11:50:32 +0100
 by: Pamela - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 10:50 UTC

On 20:25 8 Sep 2021, Chris Bacon said:
> On 08/09/2021 18:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>
>> I find glyphosate pretty ineffective against ivy even on repeated
>> application.
>
> I use the "conifer thinning" technique, and it works very well. See
> the label.

What is the conifer thinning technique? It's not mentioned on my label.

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<shnt8t$1qin$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1421&group=uk.rec.gardening#1421

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 17:12:12 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 16:12 UTC

On 08/09/2021 12:24, Pamela wrote:
> Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?
>
> I want to kill off ivy in a privet hedge and I'm told ivy can be a bit
> resistant to glyphosate at the best of times. So I was considering SBK
> but will it work with reduced plant growth at this time of year?

Way too late.

But ivy in a privet hedge is most easily dealt with by grabbing hold of
the ivy stems with a gloved hand and just pulling. Some people are
allergic to the sap so best not to take any chances. The odd time you
may need to snick it free with secateurs but most times it is easy
enough to just physically pull to remove it from a hedge.

There is an interesting parasite of ivy that you can add to reduce its
vigour. Ivy broomrape aka Orobanche hererae (thing that lives on ivy).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orobanche_hederae

Decidedly weird looking thing and that species very specific to ivy.

Ivy seedlings are waxy and one of the things that invariably survive
hitting an overgrown wasteland with glyphosate so even in much better
conditions I don't fancy your chances using a weedkiller on ivy in a
hedge without a great deal of collateral damage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<sho25n$qcu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1422&group=uk.rec.gardening#1422

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 18:35:51 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 17:35 UTC

On 13/09/2021 17:12, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 08/09/2021 12:24, Pamela wrote:
>> Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?
>>
>> I want to kill off ivy in a privet hedge and I'm told ivy can be a bit
>> resistant to glyphosate at the best of times.  So I was considering SBK
>> but will it work with reduced plant growth at this time of year?
>
> Way too late.
>
> But ivy in a privet hedge is most easily dealt with by grabbing hold of
> the ivy stems with a gloved hand and just pulling. Some people are
> allergic to the sap so best not to take any chances. The odd time you
> may need to snick it free with secateurs but most times it is easy
> enough to just physically pull to remove it from a hedge.
>
> There is an interesting parasite of ivy that you can add to reduce its
> vigour. Ivy broomrape aka Orobanche hererae (thing that lives on ivy).
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orobanche_hederae
>
> Decidedly weird looking thing and that species very specific to ivy.
>
> Ivy seedlings are waxy and one of the things that invariably survive
> hitting an overgrown wasteland with glyphosate so even in much better
> conditions I don't fancy your chances using a weedkiller on ivy in a
> hedge without a great deal of collateral damage.

I cannot but agree. Ive hit ivy with Pathclear 'kill everything' and it
just scorches the leaf edges, but cutting stems at ground level kills a
tree full.

Some people like it. I regard it as an invasive weed.

"Saki"

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<shpqlf$i6j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1426&group=uk.rec.gardening#1426

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:39:58 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:39 UTC

> On 13/09/2021 17:12, Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 08/09/2021 12:24, Pamela wrote:
>>> Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?
>>>
>>> I want to kill off ivy in a privet hedge and I'm told ivy can be a bit
>>> resistant to glyphosate at the best of times.  So I was considering SBK
>>> but will it work with reduced plant growth at this time of year?
>>
>> Way too late.
>>
>> But ivy in a privet hedge is most easily dealt with by grabbing hold
>> of the ivy stems with a gloved hand and just pulling. Some people are
>> allergic to the sap so best not to take any chances. The odd time you
>> may need to snick it free with secateurs but most times it is easy
>> enough to just physically pull to remove it from a hedge.
>>
>> There is an interesting parasite of ivy that you can add to reduce its
>> vigour. Ivy broomrape aka Orobanche hererae (thing that lives on ivy).
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orobanche_hederae
>>
>> Decidedly weird looking thing and that species very specific to ivy.
>>
>> Ivy seedlings are waxy and one of the things that invariably survive
>> hitting an overgrown wasteland with glyphosate so even in much better
>> conditions I don't fancy your chances using a weedkiller on ivy in a
>> hedge without a great deal of collateral damage.
>>
> I cannot but agree. Ive hit ivy with Pathclear 'kill everything' and it
> just scorches the leaf edges, but cutting stems at ground level kills a
> tree full.

Indeed the simplest way to kill it is chop a chunk out of the stem at or
near ground level. A couple of inches lopped out is all it takes.

> Some people like it. I regard it as an invasive weed.

I don't particularly like it but I tolerate it in the wilder end of the
garden as it is a dense wildlife habitat and its winter berries food of
last resort for the birds in the hardest winter weather. Unfortunately

Variegated forms are somewhat less vigorous but the wild form is pretty
invasive if left to its own devices. The parasite is handy for that.
(although quite rare and hard to find seed)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<shpsat$ilf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1427&group=uk.rec.gardening#1427

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:08:29 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:08 UTC

On 14/09/2021 10:39, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 13/09/2021 18:35, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>>
>> I cannot but agree. Ive hit ivy with Pathclear 'kill everything' and it
>> just scorches the leaf edges, but cutting stems at ground level kills a
>> tree full.
>
> Indeed the simplest way to kill it is chop a chunk out of the stem at or
> near ground level. A couple of inches lopped out is all it takes.

Does that not just kill the part above ground, leaving the rest to resprout?

--

Jeff

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<iqbh0rFio20U7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1428&group=uk.rec.gardening#1428

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 14 Sep 2021 11:57:15 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:57 UTC

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:39:58 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

<snip>

> I don't particularly like it but I tolerate it in the wilder end of the
> garden as it is a dense wildlife habitat and its winter berries food of
> last resort for the birds in the hardest winter weather. Unfortunately
>
> Variegated forms are somewhat less vigorous but the wild form is pretty
> invasive if left to its own devices. The parasite is handy for that.
> (although quite rare and hard to find seed)

Very noticeable at the moment in the hedgerows where the ivy is coming
into flower that the insects love it.
More butterflies than on a buddleia.

It is a real pain in the garden, though.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<shqkg0$igd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1430&group=uk.rec.gardening#1430

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:00:48 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:00 UTC

On 14/09/2021 11:08, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 14/09/2021 10:39, Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 13/09/2021 18:35, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>>>
>>> I cannot but agree. Ive hit ivy with Pathclear 'kill everything' and it
>>> just scorches the leaf edges, but cutting stems at ground level kills a
>>> tree full.
>>
>> Indeed the simplest way to kill it is chop a chunk out of the stem at or
>> near ground level. A couple of inches lopped out is all it takes.
>
> Does that not just kill the part above ground, leaving the rest to
> resprout?

I am not sure it does resprout

let them."

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<$E3$siEiFOQhFw4T@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1434&group=uk.rec.gardening#1434

From: New...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Graeme)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:52:34 +0100
 by: Graeme - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:52 UTC

In message <shqkg0$igd$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 14/09/2021 11:08, Jeff Layman wrote:

<Ivy>

>> Does that not just kill the part above ground, leaving the rest to
>>resprout?
>>
>I am not sure it does resprout

We have an old, roofless (long story) stable in the garden, which was
untouched for at least 20 years. Ivy had completely taken over, and
removing it has been an ongoing project. Yes, whatever remains in the
ground will resproat after the above ground part is chopped off. Well,
it will in this garden, anyway.
--
Graeme

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<XnsADA6461115F337B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1442&group=uk.rec.gardening#1442

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:25:49 +0100
 by: Pamela - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:25 UTC

On 17:12 13 Sep 2021, Martin Brown said:

> [...]
>
> But ivy in a privet hedge is most easily dealt with by grabbing hold
> of the ivy stems with a gloved hand and just pulling.

Saedly the roots of the plant are mostly on my neighbour's side of the
privet hedge and they seem to think it looks decorative in the hedge. I
disagree.

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<shsgf0$jko$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1446&group=uk.rec.gardening#1446

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 11:04:15 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 10:04 UTC

On 14/09/2021 18:52, Graeme wrote:
> In message <shqkg0$igd$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 14/09/2021 11:08, Jeff Layman wrote:
>
> <Ivy>
>
>>>  Does that not just kill the part above ground, leaving the rest to
>>> resprout?
>>>
>> I am not sure it does resprout
>
> We have an old, roofless (long story) stable in the garden, which was
> untouched for at least 20 years.  Ivy had completely taken over, and
> removing it has been an ongoing project.  Yes, whatever remains in the
> ground will resproat after the above ground part is chopped off.  Well,
> it will in this garden, anyway.

But you can kill the bulk of it by severing it from its roots and it has
much less stiction to the wall after it has dessicated. In good health
can grab onto porous brick and weak mortar in a way that will damage it.
Or rather that physical removal will cause damage.

You still need to kill the roots but that can be done at leisure by
hitting it with whichever weedkiller you happen to be using and/or
strimming off any regrowth.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Is it too late in the year to use a systemic weedkiller?

<25a745c6-2475-456b-aa73-13db43581f1bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1449&group=uk.rec.gardening#1449

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 06:18:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: ward...@hotmail.co.uk (Jonathan Ward)
 by: Jonathan Ward - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 13:18 UTC

On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 11:08:31 AM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 14/09/2021 10:39, Martin Brown wrote:
> > On 13/09/2021 18:35, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> >>>
> >> I cannot but agree. Ive hit ivy with Pathclear 'kill everything' and it
> >> just scorches the leaf edges, but cutting stems at ground level kills a
> >> tree full.
> >
> > Indeed the simplest way to kill it is chop a chunk out of the stem at or
> > near ground level. A couple of inches lopped out is all it takes.
> Does that not just kill the part above ground, leaving the rest to resprout?
>
> --
>
> Jeff
Yes, ti will come back.

Jonathan