From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Colchicum bulbs
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 14:18:01 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 13:18 UTC

I put these in very late and something is digging them up (in flower, no
roots as yet) and leaving them strewn around. I thought it might be
squirrels but surely after an attempt or two they realise they are not
good to eat and would leave them alone. What about birds? Do blackbirds,
pigeons, or magpies pull them up?

--

Jeff

Re: Colchicum bulbs

<sha9bn$vae$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1375&group=uk.rec.gardening#1375

From: inva...@nospam.invalid (William Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Colchicum bulbs
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 13:12:38 +0100
 by: William Johnson - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 12:12 UTC

On 07/09/2021 14:18, Jeff Layman wrote:
> I put these in very late and something is digging them up (in flower, no
> roots as yet) and leaving them strewn around. I thought it might be
> squirrels but surely after an attempt or two they realise they are not
> good to eat and would leave them alone. What about birds? Do blackbirds,
> pigeons, or magpies pull them up?

Probably squirrels. I once had every unripe fig on a small fig tree
bitten by a squirrel as it tried to find one it liked.