Tact is the ability to tell a man he has an open mind when he has a hole in his head.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Family of cyclist appeal to elderly motorists as driver jailed

SubjectAuthor
* Family of cyclist appeal to elderly motorists as driver jailedswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Family of cyclist appeal to elderly motorists as driver jailedSpike
`- Re: Family of cyclist appeal to elderly motorists as driver jailedswldx...@gmail.com

1
Family of cyclist appeal to elderly motorists as driver jailed

<764ed680-207e-457a-9880-f36d704b79a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13751&group=uk.rec.cycling#13751

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 02:52:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Family of cyclist appeal to elderly motorists as driver jailed
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 09:52 UTC

The family of a man who was killed in a collision near Andover have called on drivers to check their eyesight.

Peter Gardner, 82, of Bloswood Lane, Whitchurch, was driving a silver Vauxhall Vectra when he collided with cyclist Jim Tassell from behind and knocked him off his bike.

The incident happened on the B3400 between Andover Down and Hurstbourne Priors at about 10am on Friday, 23 July 2021.

Mr Tassell (pictured above), a 70-year-old from Andover, was taken by air ambulance to Southampton General Hospital where he sadly died five days later.

On Friday, 2 September at Salisbury Crown Court, Gardner was jailed for six months for causing death by careless driving after pleading guilty.

The court heard Gardner was only able to read a registration plate at three metres away, as opposed to the required 20 metres.

In his sentencing remarks, the judge said Gardner must have known his eyesight was failing.

Following the sentencing, the Tassell family said: “We are pleased the judge imposed a custodial sentence as this gives us a small piece of justice.

“We hope this sentence acts as a warning to any elderly driver with poor eyesight to ensure they are medically and legally fit to drive.

“We urge anyone who is concerned about an elderly driver to act so other families do not have to go through the pain and devastation that was inflicted upon us.”

Police Sergeant Spencer Wragg, of the Roads Policing Unit, said: “This was a tragic and completely avoidable death.

“If Peter Gardner had made sure he was safe to drive then this collision would not have happened, saving the Tassell family the pain and turmoil they have been through.

“All drivers, no matter their age, have a responsibility to ensure they are fit and healthy. By getting behind the wheel with poor eyesight, you are putting your own life and the lives of other innocent road users at risk.

“If you are concerned about your eyesight, or the eyesight of a loved one who drives, please find help and advice at https://olderdrivers.org.uk/

https://www.hampshire.police.uk/news/hampshire/news/news/2022/september/family-of-cyclist-appeal-to-elderly-motorists-as-driver-jailed/

Re: Family of cyclist appeal to elderly motorists as driver jailed

<jnm4psFre3vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13757&group=uk.rec.cycling#13757

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 5 Sep 2022 11:27:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 11:27 UTC

> The family of a man who was killed in a collision near Andover have
> called on drivers to check their eyesight.
>
> Peter Gardner, 82, of Bloswood Lane, Whitchurch, was driving a silver
> Vauxhall Vectra when he collided with cyclist Jim Tassell from behind and
> knocked him off his bike.
>
> The incident happened on the B3400 between Andover Down and Hurstbourne
> Priors at about 10am on Friday, 23 July 2021.
>
> Mr Tassell (pictured above), a 70-year-old from Andover, was taken by air
> ambulance to Southampton General Hospital where he sadly died five days later.
>
> On Friday, 2 September at Salisbury Crown Court, Gardner was jailed for
> six months for causing death by careless driving after pleading guilty.
>
> The court heard Gardner was only able to read a registration plate at
> three metres away, as opposed to the required 20 metres.
>
> In his sentencing remarks, the judge said Gardner must have known his eyesight was failing.
>
> Following the sentencing, the Tassell family said: “We are pleased the
> judge imposed a custodial sentence as this gives us a small piece of justice.
>
> “We hope this sentence acts as a warning to any elderly driver with poor
> eyesight to ensure they are medically and legally fit to drive.
>
> “We urge anyone who is concerned about an elderly driver to act so other
> families do not have to go through the pain and devastation that was inflicted upon us.”
>
> Police Sergeant Spencer Wragg, of the Roads Policing Unit, said: “This
> was a tragic and completely avoidable death.
>
> “If Peter Gardner had made sure he was safe to drive then this collision
> would not have happened, saving the Tassell family the pain and turmoil
> they have been through.
>
> “All drivers, no matter their age, have a responsibility to ensure they
> are fit and healthy. By getting behind the wheel with poor eyesight, you
> are putting your own life and the lives of other innocent road users at risk.
>
> “If you are concerned about your eyesight, or the eyesight of a loved one
> who drives, please find help and advice at https://olderdrivers.org.uk/
>

> https://www.hampshire.police.uk/news/hampshire/news/news/2022/september/family-of-cyclist-appeal-to-elderly-motorists-as-driver-jailed/

How much better it might have been had Police Sergeant Spencer Wragg said
“All road users, no matter their age, have a responsibility to ensure they
are fit and healthy. By going on the road with poor eyesight, you are
putting your own life and the lives of other innocent road users at risk.”

Road = carriageway + footpath

--
Spike

Re: Family of cyclist appeal to elderly motorists as driver jailed

<71ba46a4-a98f-42f3-8cba-1cf88b722cbfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13761&group=uk.rec.cycling#13761

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 04:35:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 11:35 UTC

QUOTE: The court heard Gardner was only able to read a registration plate at three metres away, as opposed to the required 20 metres. ENDS

Jesus Christ - they live among us.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Family of cyclist appeal to elderly motorists as driver jailed