Getting into trouble is easy. -- D. Winkel and F. Prosser

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Three temporary cycling lanes to be made permanent, says Transport for London

SubjectAuthor
* Three temporary cycling lanes to be made permanent, says Transportswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Three temporary cycling lanes to be made permanent, saysSpike
`- Re: Three temporary cycling lanes to be made permanent, saysswldx...@gmail.com

1
Three temporary cycling lanes to be made permanent, says Transport for London

<3da0d17e-c206-4837-abde-1603f45063e3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13852&group=uk.rec.cycling#13852

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 10:08:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Three temporary cycling lanes to be made permanent, says Transport
for London
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 17:08 UTC

Three temporary roads schemes in London, introduced during the pandemic to make cycling and walking safer in the capital, will be made permanent, says Transport for London (TfL) after data collected during the recent trial period showed that the measures have boosted cycling by more than 25 percent – without negatively impacting motor traffic.

Following public consultations, TfL have confirmed that the protected cycle lane on Tooley Street in Southwark (installed to make it easier for people to travel between existing cycle routes in the area, including on London Bridge and towards Greenwich along Cycleway 4), the new sections of protected bike lane and bus lane on Cycleway 8 between Chelsea Bridge and Wandsworth town centre, and the 24-hour bus lanes on Cycleway 7 between Elephant & Castle and Oval, will all be retained.

According to TfL, data collected during the schemes’ experimental period has demonstrated that the changes have been successful in increasing the number of people cycling.

On Tooley Street and along Cycleway 8, the number of cyclists increased by more then 25 percent since the schemes were implemented.

More than 9,500 people on an average weekday cycle along some sections of CS7, putting it in the top five percent of routes in London, according to TfL, “with the greatest potential for people to cycle”.

Before Howard Cox comes along to complain, the data also shows that the measures have not delayed motor traffic, with very little change occurring to the road network – and the time spent queuing in cars – since the cycle lanes were introduced.

On Tooley Street, vehicle numbers have fallen by a third, making the area – as TfL says – “more pleasant for people visiting”, while bus journey times westbound are now quicker and more reliable.

“We’ve seen a huge rise in walking and cycling over the past two years as more and more Londoners enjoy using sustainable ways to get around the capital,” says Will Norman, London’s Walking and Cycling Commissioner.

“To maintain this success, we are continuing to make our roads safer as we build a better London for everyone. I’m delighted that these cycle schemes have been made permanent, enabling even more Londoners to choose greener, cleaner and healthier modes of transport.”

A consultation has also been launched to allow locals to have their say on another of the schemes introduced during lockdown between Clapham Common and Oval.

TfL says that the scheme has shown peaks of more than 870 people per hour cycling southbound on the corridor with highs of nearly 3,500 people cycling in both directions each day. The consultation remains open until 9 October..

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-6-september-2022-295735#live-blog-item-37165

Re: Three temporary cycling lanes to be made permanent, says Transport for London

<jnpf0vFd1hcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13854&group=uk.rec.cycling#13854

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Three temporary cycling lanes to be made permanent, says
Transport for London
Date: 6 Sep 2022 17:40:47 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 17:40 UTC

> Three temporary roads schemes in London, introduced during the pandemic
> to make cycling and walking safer in the capital, will be made permanent,
> says Transport for London (TfL) after data collected during the recent
> trial period showed that the measures have boosted cycling by more than
> 25 percent – without negatively impacting motor traffic.
>
> Following public consultations, TfL have confirmed that the protected
> cycle lane on Tooley Street in Southwark (installed to make it easier for
> people to travel between existing cycle routes in the area, including on
> London Bridge and towards Greenwich along Cycleway 4), the new sections
> of protected bike lane and bus lane on Cycleway 8 between Chelsea Bridge
> and Wandsworth town centre, and the 24-hour bus lanes on Cycleway 7
> between Elephant & Castle and Oval, will all be retained.
>
> According to TfL, data collected during the schemes’ experimental period
> has demonstrated that the changes have been successful in increasing the
> number of people cycling.
>
> On Tooley Street and along Cycleway 8, the number of cyclists increased
> by more then 25 percent since the schemes were implemented.
>
> More than 9,500 people on an average weekday cycle along some sections of
> CS7, putting it in the top five percent of routes in London, according to
> TfL, “with the greatest potential for people to cycle”.
>
> Before Howard Cox comes along to complain, the data also shows that the
> measures have not delayed motor traffic, with very little change
> occurring to the road network – and the time spent queuing in cars –
> since the cycle lanes were introduced.
>
> On Tooley Street, vehicle numbers have fallen by a third, making the area
> – as TfL says – “more pleasant for people visiting”, while bus journey
> times westbound are now quicker and more reliable.
>
> “We’ve seen a huge rise in walking and cycling over the past two years as
> more and more Londoners enjoy using sustainable ways to get around the
> capital,” says Will Norman, London’s Walking and Cycling Commissioner.
>
> “To maintain this success, we are continuing to make our roads safer as
> we build a better London for everyone. I’m delighted that these cycle
> schemes have been made permanent, enabling even more Londoners to choose
> greener, cleaner and healthier modes of transport.”
>
> A consultation has also been launched to allow locals to have their say
> on another of the schemes introduced during lockdown between Clapham Common and Oval.
>
> TfL says that the scheme has shown peaks of more than 870 people per hour
> cycling southbound on the corridor with highs of nearly 3,500 people
> cycling in both directions each day. The consultation remains open until 9 October.

> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-6-september-2022-295735#live-blog-item-37165

🙄⚠️Sleight Of Hand Warning ⚠️🙄

There is no data reported to show an overall increase in cycling, merely
percentages of increased cycle traffic in a handful of locations.

For all we know, cycling numbers may well have fallen in other areas, but
of course if you don’t want to know the answer, don’t ask the question.

--
Spike

Re: Three temporary cycling lanes to be made permanent, says Transport for London

<e90d22e1-9098-4e14-850d-f55952ff4a1fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13856&group=uk.rec.cycling#13856

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 10:44:22 -0700 (PDT)
Transport for London
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 17:44 UTC

We should be claiming a protected space. I understand the concerns but "on the road" is not actually the key point for moving forward - unless you're totally happy with how it is now.

Why? Most of us use the roads I'm guessing and maybe don't much care about all the non-cyclists? Won't you think of the children? Unfortunately without something they consider a suitable alternative the most people will keep using motor vehicles (yes - there are lots of factors keeping this as is). That means it's not going to get much better for we band of brothers. So considering how to get others out of their vehicles is just enlightened self-interest. As others have pointed out most people consider cycling on our current roads less appealing than most available cycle infra (assuming there is any locally available at all). For more than the current 3% of trips to be cycled on roads as currently exist in the UK would need a bit of work:

a) Remove all motor vehicles. Well, OK, remove most lorries and heavier vehicles, remove a LOT of the cars (including the parked ones), slow down the moving cars and in some places persuade them to not overtake cyclists at all.

b) Remove traffic lights (not needed for cycling) - oh, but we can't if we still have motor vehicles? And junctions are some of the most dangerous (and least convenient) places for cyclists? Hmm.. OK, let's just leave them for now.

c) Fix the roads! Plenty of craters round here which could swallow a scooter.

d) Remove other unnecessary things / dangers. Metal lumps and grates. Those kerbs are a bit high now. Other dangers like tram lines need sorting.

e) Details: cycle-suitable signs and some extra lighting. In some places maybe lighting could be made less bright? The odd ford needs a bridge too.

(a) seems a bit of an ask in isolation. If that's not doable we'll need some more dedicated cycle infra. That will definitely use some roads via things like modal filters, traffic calming, removing rat-running etc. I think we need multiple things for change. Infra that's attractive enough to make the majority (8 - 80) feel it's safe and convenient. Making driving - at least in some places / at some times - less attractive. Public transport and better enforcement of road law. If people want to help out by looking normal / stylish (not like "cyclists") on their bikes and being extra polite, all to the good!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Three temporary cycling lanes to be made permanent, says Transport for London