From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Sort of on topic - Audiobooks
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 12:02:39 +0000
 by: Penny - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 12:02 UTC

I've been 'reading' Belinda Bauer's 'Snap'* this week and wondering who was
reading it (no clues on the book itself - they usually say on the 'cover').
I keep thinking it sounds like Adam, but better.

I finally looked it up online and it is indeed read by Adam's close friend
- sounding much more like a real person than Adam ever does, but with that
slight twinge of 'does anyone really speak like that?', I always get from
Adam.

I've tried to listen to David's close friend reading Mary Renault's
'Persian boy', a couple of times. He always sends me straight to sleep. So
maybe a slight annoyance to a reader's voice is actually required? I don't
think that's true, many of the audio books I've heard are un-put-downable,
so it must be a combination of words and reader.

'Adam' annoys me enough to want a break now and then - which is annoying
in itself, as the current 'chapter' is about 500 minutes long :(
There are plenty of obvious 'scene changes', I feel the publisher could
have put in the effort to introduce more natural breaks in the narrative.
The most convenient books for my usage have chapters running around 20-30
minutes.

*I'd never heard of her either, the book was recommended by a TV 'book
club'.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959