From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Replacement laptop batteries - reliable source? Dell Latitude 7280
Date: 14 Aug 2021 13:51:36 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 13:51 UTC

The battery on my Dell Latitude 7280 has finally given up the ghost.
Hero to zero in about a minute.

I am looking for a replacement and seeing many options, but which
suppliers are reliable?

Any recommendations most welcome.

Regards

Dave R

Re: Replacement laptop batteries - reliable source? Dell Latitude 7280

<ioibotF6g0lU5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1309&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1309

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Replacement laptop batteries - reliable source? Dell Latitude
7280
Date: 23 Aug 2021 19:38:05 GMT
 by: David - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 19:38 UTC

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 13:51:36 +0000, David wrote:

> The battery on my Dell Latitude 7280 has finally given up the ghost.
> Hero to zero in about a minute.
>
> I am looking for a replacement and seeing many options, but which
> suppliers are reliable?
>
> Any recommendations most welcome.

Bump.

TIA

Dave R

Re: Replacement laptop batteries - reliable source? Dell Latitude 7280

<ipmfjiF6g0mU18@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1339&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1339

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
7280
Date: 6 Sep 2021 12:24:18 GMT
 by: David - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 12:24 UTC

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 13:51:36 +0000, David wrote:

> The battery on my Dell Latitude 7280 has finally given up the ghost.
> Hero to zero in about a minute.
>
> I am looking for a replacement and seeing many options, but which
> suppliers are reliable?
>
> Any recommendations most welcome.

Ordered from replacement-batteries.co.uk.
Received a confirmation email saying the package had been sent out on 30th
August.
Carrier is Yodel, status is notified of package and waiting for it to
arrive at depot.
Depot is Hayes (which I assume means Heathrow).

I raised a query via their chat line and got the following:

"Hi

The package will be delivered by yodel.

This tracking info will not be updated more until it arrives in your local
city.
Shipping time for a battery package will take about 10~11 days generally
speaking.
So many flights are canceled because of the COVID-19, shipping time will
be longer than before.
Please wait patiently, any other questions please feel free to contact
us."

Plenty of what look like Chinese characters in the email.
Message is from laptop-adapters.org.

Conclusion: UK address is a blind and it is being delivered from China.
I wonder what the distance selling regulations make of this - in case of
problems do I have a claim against the UK arm of this organisation?

Fortunately I'm not in desperate need of the battery.

Oh, estimated delivery on the website said 2-4 days for UK.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Replacement laptop batteries - reliable source? Dell Latitude 7280

<sh53bn$hj6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1340&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1340

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.com (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
7280
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 13:59:31 +0100
 by: GB - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 12:59 UTC

On 06/09/2021 13:24, David wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 13:51:36 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> The battery on my Dell Latitude 7280 has finally given up the ghost.
>> Hero to zero in about a minute.
>>
>> I am looking for a replacement and seeing many options, but which
>> suppliers are reliable?
>>
>> Any recommendations most welcome.
>
> Ordered from replacement-batteries.co.uk.

Oh dear!

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/replacement-batteries.co.uk

Re: Replacement laptop batteries - reliable source? Dell Latitude 7280

<Peh*QcDty@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1342&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1342

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 07 Sep 2021 11:44:57 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 10:44 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Conclusion: UK address is a blind and it is being delivered from China.
> I wonder what the distance selling regulations make of this - in case of
> problems do I have a claim against the UK arm of this organisation?

It looks like they're dropshipping from China. If the battery is faulty the
best you'll get is 'send it back to China' which would probably cost more
than the value of the battery (especially given much of the postal service
won't take lithium batteries).

> Fortunately I'm not in desperate need of the battery.
>
> Oh, estimated delivery on the website said 2-4 days for UK.

The website looks rather dubious, I have to say. It says:
"Global Company Info:
Meledo Company Limited
330 High Holborn, Holborn
WC1V 7QT, London, United Kingdon
Company number 11736866
TEL: 442086385417

which does exist:
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11736866
Nature of business (SIC)
46420 - Wholesale of clothing and footwear
One officer, based in Shenzhen
In the 2019 accounts the company had £300.

330 High Holborn is a virtual office building - £112 per month:
https://www.regus.com/en-gb/united-kingdom/london/camden/holborn-gate-162

It appers over the last two years they've moved four times:

红松鼠超市, 63 High St, Orpington BR6 0JF (which translates as Red Squirrel
Supermarket)
107-111 Fleet Street London Greater London EC4A 2AB (Regus virtual office)
31 Southampton Row London (rent-by-desk office)
330 High Holbor (sic) London (virtual office)

Oh dear, it seems like Meledo has quite a reputation for scamming:
https://www.scampulse.com/meledo-company-limited-reviews
and if you search for it there's a huge number of sites that Meledo claims
to be operating, as well as people calling them out to be scams in equal
measure. Pretty impressive for a £300 company.

It sounds as shady as shady can be :-(

You could sue them for their £300 but they would just go bankrupt and start
again.

I'd expect 'a' battery to turn up, but the quality may be low and it not to
last very long. It may not even fit. It sounds like this kind of scam:
https://time.com/5921820/facebook-shopping-scams-holidays-covid-19/

I'm not sure what to do about it at this point, but I'd be tempted to refuse
delivery. The parcel may end up in customs limbo, but at least you can
claim you don't have the item in any future complaint.

Theo
(who had no recommendations for battery suppliers for your original post
because my only experience with even a bona fide UK one was that they
couldn't get good stock and did two replacements before I gave up and junked
the laptop)

Re: Replacement laptop batteries - reliable source? Dell Latitude 7280

<iqonq0FlbbmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1390&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1390

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
7280
Date: 19 Sep 2021 12:12:48 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 12:12 UTC

On Mon, 06 Sep 2021 12:24:18 +0000, David wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 13:51:36 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> The battery on my Dell Latitude 7280 has finally given up the ghost.
>> Hero to zero in about a minute.
>>
>> I am looking for a replacement and seeing many options, but which
>> suppliers are reliable?
>>
>> Any recommendations most welcome.
>
> Ordered from replacement-batteries.co.uk.
> Received a confirmation email saying the package had been sent out on
> 30th August.
> Carrier is Yodel, status is notified of package and waiting for it to
> arrive at depot.
> Depot is Hayes (which I assume means Heathrow).
>
> I raised a query via their chat line and got the following:
>
> "Hi
>

> The package will be delivered by yodel.
>

> This tracking info will not be updated more until it arrives in your
> local city.
>
> Shipping time for a battery package will take about 10~11 days generally
> speaking.
>
> So many flights are canceled because of the COVID-19, shipping time will
> be longer than before.
>
> Please wait patiently, any other questions please feel free to contact
> us."
>

> Plenty of what look like Chinese characters in the email.
> Message is from laptop-adapters.org.
>
> Conclusion: UK address is a blind and it is being delivered from China.
> I wonder what the distance selling regulations make of this - in case of
> problems do I have a claim against the UK arm of this organisation?
>
> Fortunately I'm not in desperate need of the battery.
>
> Oh, estimated delivery on the website said 2-4 days for UK.

Well, the battery turned up within the 12-14 working days for
International ahipping and is installed on this laptop.
There was enough charge to start the PC up, and I then connected the
charger.
Now charging with about 1.5 hours until fully charged (allegedly).

If all continues to go well I will run a couple of charge/dischage cycles
to confirm how much storage the battery really has.
As long as it has an hour I will be reasonably satisfied because the old
battery had zilch.

Next up will be why my Dell USB C hub is now misbehaving.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)