God made the integers; all else is the work of Man. -- Kronecker

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / BAC for moss killing

SubjectAuthor
* BAC for moss killingPamela
`* Re: BAC for moss killingGeoff Green
 `* Re: BAC for moss killingalan_m
  `* Re: BAC for moss killingPamela
   `* Re: BAC for moss killingalan_m
    `* Re: BAC for moss killingPamela
     `* Re: BAC for moss killingalan_m
      `- Re: BAC for moss killingPamela

1
BAC for moss killing

<XnsADA2C414724B837B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1391&group=uk.rec.gardening#1391

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: BAC for moss killing
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 19:16:31 +0100
 by: Pamela - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 18:16 UTC

How long should BAC be left on moss before it rains for it to work?

I used BAC recently and it rained a bit during the night. Would this
reduce effectiveness or would BAC have done its work by then?

It can take a couple of weeks for the moss to die off and I would like to
know before then if I should re-apply BAC.

Re: BAC for moss killing

<shnl7e$18fl$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1418&group=uk.rec.gardening#1418

From: privat...@net.co.uk (Geoff Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: BAC for moss killing
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 14:54:48 +0100
 by: Geoff Green - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 13:54 UTC

On 11/09/2021 19:16, Pamela wrote:
> How long should BAC be left on moss before it rains for it to work?
>
> I used BAC recently and it rained a bit during the night. Would this
> reduce effectiveness or would BAC have done its work by then?
>
> It can take a couple of weeks for the moss to die off and I would like to
> know before then if I should re-apply BAC.

All your posts are about killing off plants, are you trying to wind this
experience Gardening Group up. Do you actually have any plants to kill?

BAC50 is no longer permitted for use in removing moss due to plant
protection legislation.

Re: BAC for moss killing

<iq9vn9FqbacU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1425&group=uk.rec.gardening#1425

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 22:55:53 +0100
 by: alan_m - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 21:55 UTC

On 13/09/2021 14:54, Geoff Green wrote:
> On 11/09/2021 19:16, Pamela wrote:
>> How long should BAC be left on moss before it rains for it to work?
>>
>> I used BAC recently and it rained a bit during the night. Would this
>> reduce effectiveness or would BAC have done its work by then?
>>
>> It can take a couple of weeks for the moss to die off and I would like to
>> know before then if I should re-apply BAC.
>>
> All your posts are about killing off plants, are you trying to wind this
> experience Gardening Group up.  Do you actually have any plants to kill?
>
> BAC50 is no longer permitted for use in removing moss due to plant
> protection legislation.

It's is the same chemical as used in a multitude of commercial moss
killers on sale in every garden centre.

Re: BAC for moss killing

<XnsADA638CF2B6137B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1441&group=uk.rec.gardening#1441

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:20:56 +0100
 by: Pamela - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:20 UTC

On 22:55 13 Sep 2021, alan_m said:
> On 13/09/2021 14:54, Geoff Green wrote:
>> On 11/09/2021 19:16, Pamela wrote:
>>>

>>> How long should BAC be left on moss before it rains for it to
>>> work?
>>>
>>> I used BAC recently and it rained a bit during the night. Would
>>> this reduce effectiveness or would BAC have done its work by then?
>>>
>>> It can take a couple of weeks for the moss to die off and I would
>>> like to know before then if I should re-apply BAC.
>>>
>> All your posts are about killing off plants, are you trying to wind
>> this experience Gardening Group up.� Do you actually have any
>> plants to kill?
>>
>> BAC50 is no longer permitted for use in removing moss due to plant
>> protection legislation.
>
> It's is the same chemical as used in a multitude of commercial moss
> killers on sale in every garden centre.

Maybe Geoff got confused between BAC50 and the lower dilutions it is
available in.

Presumably if you use BAC50 to kill lichen and algae then it's okay,
which makes it another example of a silly regulation to be ignored.

Re: BAC for moss killing

<iqeqrhFoc5pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1448&group=uk.rec.gardening#1448

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 19:03:29 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 18:03 UTC

On 15/09/2021 00:20, Pamela wrote:
> On 22:55 13 Sep 2021, alan_m said:

>>> All your posts are about killing off plants, are you trying to wind
>>> this experience Gardening Group up.  Do you actually have any
>>> plants to kill?
>>>
>>> BAC50 is no longer permitted for use in removing moss due to plant
>>> protection legislation.
>>
>> It's is the same chemical as used in a multitude of commercial moss
>> killers on sale in every garden centre.
>
> Maybe Geoff got confused between BAC50 and the lower dilutions it is
> available in.
>
> Presumably if you use BAC50 to kill lichen and algae then it's okay,
> which makes it another example of a silly regulation to be ignored.

It's used in baby wipes. (probably diluted) :)

The safety factor of benzalkonium chloride allows its use in a wide
range of leave-on skin sanitisers and sanitary baby wipes. BAC 50 is
widely used as a preservative in ophthalmic, nasal and aural
pharmaceutical preparations as well as to optimise emolliency and
substantivity in formulations.

https://www.quatchem.com/manufacturing-solutions/biocidal-raw-materials/benzalkonium-chloride/benzalkonium-chloride-applications

Re: BAC for moss killing

<XnsADA7A7C57F5A037B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1450&group=uk.rec.gardening#1450

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 16:29:33 +0100
 by: Pamela - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 15:29 UTC

On 19:03 15 Sep 2021, alan_m said:
> On 15/09/2021 00:20, Pamela wrote:

>>> It's is the same chemical as used in a multitude of commercial
>>> moss killers on sale in every garden centre.
>>
>> Maybe Geoff got confused between BAC50 and the lower dilutions it
>> is available in.
>>
>> Presumably if you use BAC50 to kill lichen and algae then it's
>> okay, which makes it another example of a silly regulation to be
>> ignored.
>>

> It's used in baby wipes. (probably diluted) :)
>
> The safety factor of benzalkonium chloride allows its use in a wide
> range of leave-on skin sanitisers and sanitary baby wipes. BAC 50 is
> widely used as a preservative in ophthalmic, nasal and aural
> pharmaceutical preparations as well as to optimise emolliency and
> substantivity in formulations.
>
> https://www.quatchem.com/manufacturing-solutions/biocidal-raw-
> materials/benzalkonium-chloride/benzalkonium-chloride-
> applications

It's not "BAC 50" but BAC (or somtimes ADBAC).

You're still conflating BAC with a commonly available concentration and
have quoted text from a supplier's trade name for one specified
concentration.

Re: BAC for moss killing

<iqjtgpFnpp9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1452&group=uk.rec.gardening#1452

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 17:19:37 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:19 UTC

On 16/09/2021 16:29, Pamela wrote:

> It's not "BAC 50" but BAC (or somtimes ADBAC).
>
> You're still conflating BAC with a commonly available concentration and
> have quoted text from a supplier's trade name for one specified
> concentration.

But commonly sold by manufactures as a 50% w/w concentration

Search for suppliers of BAC on Ebay and all the relevant products will
be BAC50.

The supplier that I linked to also do a 85% concentration, BAC85

Re: BAC for moss killing

<XnsADA97F4E6484937B93@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1455&group=uk.rec.gardening#1455

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:30:52 +0100
 by: Pamela - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 11:30 UTC

On 17:19 17 Sep 2021, alan_m said:
> On 16/09/2021 16:29, Pamela wrote:
>>

>> It's not "BAC 50" but BAC (or somtimes ADBAC).
>>
>> You're still conflating BAC with a commonly available concentration
>> and have quoted text from a supplier's trade name for one specified
>> concentration.
>
> But commonly sold by manufactures as a 50% w/w concentration
>
> Search for suppliers of BAC on Ebay and all the relevant products
> will be BAC50.
>
> The supplier that I linked to also do a 85% concentration, BAC85

Yes, BAC50 is the name of a product not the name of the compound.

Products like Patio Magic (in the UK), sold as a concentrate, are less
than 50% BAC.