If we men married the women we deserved, we should have a very bad time of it. -- Oscar Wilde

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Noddy
+- Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Clocky
+* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Daryl
|`* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Noddy
| `* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Daryl
|  `* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Noddy
|   `* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Daryl
|    `* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Noddy
|     +- Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Xeno
|     `* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Daryl
|      `* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Noddy
|       +* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Daryl
|       |`- Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Noddy
|       `- Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Xeno
+* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Trevor Wilson
|+* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Clocky
||`* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Trevor Wilson
|| +* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Daryl
|| |+* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Trevor Wilson
|| |`* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Noddy
|| | `- Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Xeno
|| +* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Noddy
|| |`- Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Xeno
|| `- Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Clocky
|`* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Noddy
| +* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Trevor Wilson
| |+* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Noddy
| ||`* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Trevor Wilson
| || `* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Noddy
| ||  `* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Trevor Wilson
| ||   +* Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Noddy
| ||   |`- Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Xeno
| ||   `- Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Clocky
| |`- Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Clocky
| `- Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)Xeno
`- Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)alvey

Pages:12
Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<jc2htfF77p7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13874&group=aus.cars#13874

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 23:10:05 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 13:10 UTC

On 17/4/2022 6:30 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 17/04/2022 3:56 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> No idea. It did say on the quote that a price for a second hand unit
>>> wasn't available as the "wreckers were closed", but I would suspect
>>> that was bullshit as any dealership would normally be operating
>>> during the same working hours. I would think the real truth is that
>>> the stood to make far more money on selling the owner a new ECU.

>>> Very possibly.
>>>
>>> Given that I wasn't changing them anything to do the job I didn't
>>> want to spend too much time fucking around with it, but I might open
>>> it up just to have a look. I did go as far as calling Injectroinics
>>> to see if they were familiar with the things and had a change over
>>> but they'd never done one before. They would have been happy to have
>>> a crack at this one, but given that prices start at 160 bucks just to
>>> open it up and have a look plus the fact of possibly needing the
>>> other sensors off the car to excite the thing and make it work it was
>>> easier and cheaper just to opt for the second hand unit and hope it
>>> never occurs again.
>>>

>> A friend who lives in Gisborne owns a MB Vito van, a few weeks ago he
>> went to start it and it was dead, he checked all the basics like the
>> battery and key battery but still dead, some lights would work but the
>> dash didn't light up and it wouldn't crank.
>> He's an electronics engineer so he did some research and ended up
>> suspecting the "SAM" unit which is MB name for the communications module.
>> Pulled it out and found lots of bad solder joints, repaired and
>> refitted and the van fired up straight away, needless to say he was
>> pretty pissed of because it cost him roughly 4days work finding and
>> fixing it but at least he didn't have to spend mega bucks on new or sh
>> parts.
>
> It's getting pathetic to be honest. Some people like to claim that cars
> are more reliable today than they ever have been, but I reject that
> call. They're certainly more elaborate, are far more capable, more
> economical and are far better equipped, but in terms of reliability I
> don't think they're any better than the shit from 40 years ago. In fact
> I think they're far more brittle today in that they can be rendered
> completely useless for the most insignificant of things.

Depends on what you mean by reliable, modern cars have a lot more
electronics so more points of failure but generally speaking electronics
in cars are very reliable.
In a way the reliability of modern cars can led to problems, on the
weekend I did a major service on a 2015 V6 petrol Hilux that had done
117,000km, the owner stated that it had been serviced but I struggled to
get the engine dipstick out it was so sludged up as was the oil filler cap.
Spark plugs were original and by the look of them had never been out yet
despite being so neglected it ran and drove almost perfectly, when I
told him what I found he was pretty pissed off with the mechanic he's
been taking it to.
His biggest issue was he thought that occasionally the trans "slipped"
and didn't change properly so he wanted the trans serviced, its
supposedly "sealed for life", Toyota don't stock filter kits so I just
just drained and refilled it 3 times then Googled the correct procedure
for checking the oil level.
The damn things are so reliable people don't bother to service them yet
they keep on running.

> Speaking of cars, I didn't end up buying the car from the bloke we met
> the other day. It's a decent car that could be nice as it has a good
> factory options but it's not a factory 4 speed car as he thinks it is:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9F40L
>
> It's a genuine GT and has been sitting in that spot for the last 28
> years, so a bit of a barn find. It's mostly complete, but had been
> stolen and recovered 3 times in it's past life and a lot of parts robbed
> from it in the process. It's a factory T bar auto car that certainly has
> potential and would make a good cruiser, and I've offered him 65 grand
> and left him to think about it. He seems firm on wanting 80, and in it's
> current state I think he'll have to wait to get it.
>
> Still, the market is stupid crazy at the moment.

Would an auto be more desirable because its a lot rarer?
I can't imagine that there were too many auto GT's, I've only ever seen
one factory auto XY GT.
At least the body looks pretty straight, it would be a brilliant buy for
$65k.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<t3h951$7c9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13878&group=aus.cars#13878

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 00:44:46 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:44 UTC

On 17/04/2022 11:10 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 17/4/2022 6:30 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> It's getting pathetic to be honest. Some people like to claim that
>> cars are more reliable today than they ever have been, but I reject
>> that call. They're certainly more elaborate, are far more capable,
>> more economical and are far better equipped, but in terms of
>> reliability I don't think they're any better than the shit from 40
>> years ago. In fact I think they're far more brittle today in that they
>> can be rendered completely useless for the most insignificant of things.
>
> Depends on what you mean by reliable, modern cars have a lot more
> electronics so more points of failure but generally speaking electronics
> in cars are very reliable.
> In a way the reliability of modern cars can led to problems, on the
> weekend I did a major service on a 2015 V6 petrol Hilux that had done
> 117,000km, the owner stated that it had been serviced but I struggled to
> get the engine dipstick out it was so sludged up as was the oil filler cap.
> Spark plugs were original and by the look of them had never been out yet
> despite being so neglected it ran and drove almost perfectly, when I
> told him what I found he was pretty pissed off with the mechanic he's
> been taking it to.
> His biggest issue was he thought that occasionally the trans "slipped"
> and didn't change properly so he wanted the trans serviced, its
> supposedly "sealed for life", Toyota don't stock filter kits so I just
> just drained and refilled it 3 times then Googled the correct procedure
> for checking the oil level.
> The damn things are so reliable people don't bother to service them yet
> they keep on running.

It's the little foibles of modern cars that shit me at times, like VW
van you were talking about being sidelined for 4 days because of it's
"communications module". The fact that you're locked out of using your
own car for something as stupid as that is ridiculous, and it's not the
first time I've heard of that either. A bloke I used to know had a Vito
that he used as a mobile mechanic and it did a similar thing. Had to be
towed to Volkswagen to be fixed which took a week if I remember
correctly, and it was no doubt profoundly embarrassing for him and his
business.

I had Rebecca over here a couple of weeks ago with her son's VT Commy
which is flashing all kinds of warning messages about the ABS not
working, Stability control not working, Traction control not working,
etc etc. They're a *cunt* of a car with *many* bugs, and these faults
are a a *very* common issue that relate to either the rear wheel speed
sensors or the speed sensor wiring harness. Normally you change the
sensors or repair/replace the harness and the fault goes away until
*next* time the car fucks up. But not on this one. Both the rear sensors
were replaced and the loom is perfect and still the problem persists
with the ECU not talking to the ABS controller.

Did I mention that they're a cunt of a car? I hope so :)

>> Speaking of cars, I didn't end up buying the car from the bloke we met
>> the other day. It's a decent car that could be nice as it has a good
>> factory options but it's not a factory 4 speed car as he thinks it is:
>>
>>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9F40L
>>
>> It's a genuine GT and has been sitting in that spot for the last 28
>> years, so a bit of a barn find. It's mostly complete, but had been
>> stolen and recovered 3 times in it's past life and a lot of parts
>> robbed from it in the process. It's a factory T bar auto car that
>> certainly has potential and would make a good cruiser, and I've
>> offered him 65 grand and left him to think about it. He seems firm on
>> wanting 80, and in it's current state I think he'll have to wait to
>> get it.
>>
>> Still, the market is stupid crazy at the moment.
>>

> Would an auto be more desirable because its a lot rarer?

4 Speed cars generally bring better money.

> I can't imagine that there were too many auto GT's, I've only ever seen
> one factory auto XY GT.

There's a few around. Most GT's were manuals as I imagine most buyers
wanted the "driver's experience". This one seems to have been a
"gentleman's GT in that it was ordered from the factory with T-bar, air
conditioning, power steering, power windows, black vinyl top, tinted
windows and cloth seat inserts. A pretty impressive options list which
would make it a reasonably desirable car today as buyers seem to go ape
over that stuff, but it does need a lot of work.

As I mentioned it's been stolen and recovered a few times, and on those
occasions it lost some parts. The seats were knicked and replaced with
full regular Falcon jobs which are the wrong colour. The Aircon was
ripped out of it. The original carburetor, alternator and radio are
gone. It was on LPG at some previous stage and has holes drilled in it
everywhere where the gas kit used to be, and it's been hit on the
driver's side and has had those two doors replaced and in doing so had
two doors without factory tint on the windows fitted.

The body is reasonably good thanks to it sitting under cover for so
long, but it's a a full resto and needs everything. Paint, panel, trim,
rubber, glass, and all mechanicals.

> At least the body looks pretty straight, it would be a brilliant buy for
> $65k.

I'd be happy with it at 65 grand. I reckon I could get it back to it's
former glory for around a hundred all up, and at that price it would be
cheap given where the market is at today. At the 80 grand he's asking
for it the thing is *still* half decent, but you wouldn't have it on the
road for under 120 I reckon. I don't think he'll come at the 65, but we
may be able to meet somewhere in the middle.

Still, the market is strong. This is almost exactly the same car but
without all the options:

> https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/detail/ford-falcon-876901

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<w7jrwdjjswsw.m37qtlx86ncz$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13879&group=aus.cars#13879

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:28:14 +1000
 by: alvey - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 20:28 UTC

On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 13:09:46 +1000, Noddy wrote:

snip worthless

How curious. A scan *and* a photo of a simple replacement to try and get
some cred, yet the Fraudster won't do anything to substantiate his Big
Claims. Why is that Fraudster?

alvey

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<jc3dvlFcenbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13883&group=aus.cars#13883

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:09:08 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 21:09 UTC

On 17/04/2022 8:22 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> I'll get it out of the scrap bin and open it up for some pics this
>>> afternoon Trev. I never looked inside the thing but just assumed it
>>> had about 30 bucks worth of radio shack parts in it like most
>>> automotive electronics.
>>>

>> **I doubt that. Automotive electronics is actually, usually, well
>> built to withstand quite difficult conditions. Certainly far more
>> challenging that a laptop for instance. Component choice usually
>> involves fitting premium quality parts in critical areas, conformal
>> coating on PCBs and fibre-glass PCBs. These comments do not extend to
>> car stereos, but they are generally more robust than domestic stuff
>> too. The die-cast box and connectors would eat up most of your $30.00
>> budget.
>
> Of course. "30 bucks worth of Radio Shack parts" was figure of speech,
> but by and large automotive electronics are hideously over priced.

**No argument from me.

>> My best guess is that, at the time of manufacture, the cost of the box
>> would be more like $200.00.
>
> Perhaps, but they are/were having these things made by the thousands by
> the lowest priced bidder. 200 bucks would probably be at the outside,
> and certainly nothing like the 3500 bucks Mazda want to sell you one :)

**Of course.

> Incidentally, I took the cover off the power steering controller and it
> looked like this:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9F5RT
>
> There was another board under this one separated by the plastic sandwich
> plate but it wouldn't come apart without desoldering it which I didn't
> have the time or energy to do. The second board underneath was screwed
> to the bottom half of the alloy box and had 3 big capacitors and half a
> dozen mosfets on it that I could see.

**Thanks for that. I'm gonna guess that my original cost estimate is
about right. I note that it appears the circuit board is manufactured by
Mitsubishi FWIW.

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<t3i8p7$5f3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13887&group=aus.cars#13887

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:44:39 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 23:44 UTC

On 18/04/2022 7:09 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 17/04/2022 8:22 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> Incidentally, I took the cover off the power steering controller and
>> it looked like this:
>>
>>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9F5RT
>>
>> There was another board under this one separated by the plastic
>> sandwich plate but it wouldn't come apart without desoldering it which
>> I didn't have the time or energy to do. The second board underneath
>> was screwed to the bottom half of the alloy box and had 3 big
>> capacitors and half a dozen mosfets on it that I could see.
>
> **Thanks for that. I'm gonna guess that my original cost estimate is
> about right. I note that it appears the circuit board is manufactured by
> Mitsubishi FWIW.

Yeah, it had Mitsubishi all over it.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<jc3ngmFe4eaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13889&group=aus.cars#13889

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:51:52 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 23:51 UTC

On 18/04/2022 9:44 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/04/2022 7:09 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 17/04/2022 8:22 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> Incidentally, I took the cover off the power steering controller and
>>> it looked like this:

>>> There was another board under this one separated by the plastic
>>> sandwich plate but it wouldn't come apart without desoldering it
>>> which I didn't have the time or energy to do. The second board
>>> underneath was screwed to the bottom half of the alloy box and had 3
>>> big capacitors and half a dozen mosfets on it that I could see.
>>
>> **Thanks for that. I'm gonna guess that my original cost estimate is
>> about right. I note that it appears the circuit board is manufactured
>> by Mitsubishi FWIW.
>
> Yeah, it had Mitsubishi all over it.

**And that represents part of the reason why the Japanese automotive
industry has been so successful. They share technology with each other.
Mazda is clearly not strong in electronics technology, but Mitsubishi
has long and broad experience in that area.

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<jc3pctFefohU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13892&group=aus.cars#13892

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:23:57 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 00:23 UTC

On 18/4/2022 12:44 am, Noddy wrote:
> [...]
> correctly, and it was no doubt profoundly embarrassing for him and his
> business.
>
> I had Rebecca over here a couple of weeks ago with her son's VT Commy
> which is flashing all kinds of warning messages about the ABS not
> working, Stability control not working, Traction control not working,
> etc etc. They're a *cunt* of a car with *many* bugs, and these faults
> are a a *very* common issue that relate to either the rear wheel speed
> sensors or the speed sensor wiring harness. Normally you change the
> sensors or repair/replace the harness and the fault goes away until
> *next* time the car fucks up. But not on this one. Both the rear sensors
> were replaced and the loom is perfect and still the problem persists
> with the ECU not talking to the ABS controller.
>
> Did I mention that they're a cunt of a car? I hope so :)

Seems like your diagnosis skills are lacking. How unsurprising.

<bullshit snipped>

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<jc3rgaFerd6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13893&group=aus.cars#13893

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:59:51 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 00:59 UTC

> [...]
> correctly, and it was no doubt profoundly embarrassing for him and his
> business.
>
> I had Rebecca over here a couple of weeks ago with her son's VT Commy
> which is flashing all kinds of warning messages about the ABS not
> working, Stability control not working, Traction control not working,
> etc etc. They're a *cunt* of a car with *many* bugs, and these faults
> are a a *very* common issue that relate to either the rear wheel speed
> sensors or the speed sensor wiring harness. Normally you change the
> sensors or repair/replace the harness and the fault goes away until
> *next* time the car fucks up. But not on this one. Both the rear sensors
> were replaced and the loom is perfect and still the problem persists
> with the ECU not talking to the ABS controller.
>
> Did I mention that they're a cunt of a car? I hope so :)

LOL, know what you mean, son bought a rolled VE SS auto for the engine
and trans, he asked me to have a look at it because it was smokey, that
was easily fixed by throwing away the oil soaked air filter and cleaning
out the plastic intake but then I decided to scan it to clear the codes.
It wouldn't let me do a full scan, I managed to scan the engine and
clear the codes but either Holden's computer system isn't compatible
with my MS906BT or there was something damaged that wouldn't allow it to
scan but the car ran and drove OK.
I did a service on another Hilux owned by the same person as the recent
one, main issue was the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree, TC, ABS
and brake warning lights were on, turns out it was just a blown brake
lamp fuse caused by a damaged wire when the driver backed into something.
The driver and owner thought that there was something major wrong.

>>> Speaking of cars, I didn't end up buying the car from the bloke we
>>> met the other day. It's a decent car that could be nice as it has a
>>> good factory options but it's not a factory 4 speed car as he thinks
>>> it is:

>>> It's a genuine GT and has been sitting in that spot for the last 28
>>> years, so a bit of a barn find. It's mostly complete, but had been
>>> stolen and recovered 3 times in it's past life and a lot of parts
>>> robbed from it in the process. It's a factory T bar auto car that
>>> certainly has potential and would make a good cruiser, and I've
>>> offered him 65 grand and left him to think about it. He seems firm on
>>> wanting 80, and in it's current state I think he'll have to wait to
>>> get it.
>>>
>>> Still, the market is stupid crazy at the moment.
>>>

>> Would an auto be more desirable because its a lot rarer?
>
> 4 Speed cars generally bring better money.
>
>> I can't imagine that there were too many auto GT's, I've only ever
>> seen one factory auto XY GT.
>
> There's a few around. Most GT's were manuals as I imagine most buyers
> wanted the "driver's experience". This one seems to have been a
> "gentleman's GT in that it was ordered from the factory with T-bar, air
> conditioning, power steering, power windows, black vinyl top, tinted
> windows and cloth seat inserts. A pretty impressive options list which
> would make it a reasonably desirable car today as buyers seem to go ape
> over that stuff, but it does need a lot of work.
>
> As I mentioned it's been stolen and recovered a few times, and on those
> occasions it lost some parts. The seats were knicked and replaced with
> full regular Falcon jobs which are the wrong colour. The Aircon was
> ripped out of it. The original carburetor, alternator and radio are
> gone. It was on LPG at some previous stage and has holes drilled in it
> everywhere where the gas kit used to be, and it's been hit on the
> driver's side and has had those two doors replaced and in doing so had
> two doors without factory tint on the windows fitted.
>
> The body is reasonably good thanks to it sitting under cover for so
> long, but it's a a full resto and needs everything. Paint, panel, trim,
> rubber, glass, and all mechanicals.

Shame that its had such a bad history but given its age its not all that
surprising.

>> At least the body looks pretty straight, it would be a brilliant buy
>> for $65k.
>
> I'd be happy with it at 65 grand. I reckon I could get it back to it's
> former glory for around a hundred all up, and at that price it would be
> cheap given where the market is at today. At the 80 grand he's asking
> for it the thing is *still* half decent, but you wouldn't have it on the
> road for under 120 I reckon. I don't think he'll come at the 65, but we
> may be able to meet somewhere in the middle.
>
> Still, the market is strong. This is almost exactly the same car but
> without all the options:
>
>> https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/detail/ford-falcon-876901

Hopefully you can meet him in the middle somewhere, it certainly should
be restored and put back on the road.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<t3ieg2$4le$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13897&group=aus.cars#13897

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:22:08 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 01:22 UTC

On 18/04/2022 9:51 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 18/04/2022 9:44 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> **Thanks for that. I'm gonna guess that my original cost estimate is
>>> about right. I note that it appears the circuit board is manufactured
>>> by Mitsubishi FWIW.
>>
>> Yeah, it had Mitsubishi all over it.
>>

> **And that represents part of the reason why the Japanese automotive
> industry has been so successful. They share technology with each other.
> Mazda is clearly not strong in electronics technology, but Mitsubishi
> has long and broad experience in that area.

They do, but that in itself can be interesting in other ways.

For example, I'm looking at buying a new dual cab ute, and am currently
hanging out to see what the new V6 Ranger is like when it hits the
dealerships in a couple of months. If that doesn't impress me as much as
I want it to then my plan B will be to opt for a Mitsubishi Triton.
Mitsubishi have made great commercial vehicles for years and as you say
their electronics experience is extensive.

Yet the current Triton has a 7 inch multi function head unit that is
apparently made by Kenwood and from all accounts it is a fascinating
heap of unreliable shit.

<shrug>

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<t3ifoe$bgo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13898&group=aus.cars#13898

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:43:40 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 01:43 UTC

On 18/04/2022 10:59 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/4/2022 12:44 am, Noddy wrote:

>> Did I mention that they're a cunt of a car? I hope so :)
>
> LOL, know what you mean, son bought a rolled VE SS auto for the engine
> and trans, he asked me to have a look at it because it was smokey, that
> was easily fixed by throwing away the oil soaked air filter and cleaning
> out the plastic intake but then I decided to scan it to clear the codes.
> It wouldn't let me do a full scan, I managed to scan the engine and
> clear the codes but either Holden's computer system isn't compatible
> with my MS906BT or there was something damaged that wouldn't allow it to
> scan but the car ran and drove OK.

They really are a steaming pile of shit. Have a look at this here. This
is Bev's kid's car that suffers from a host of normal, everyday VE
quality issues:

Apart from the clear peeling off:

> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZD

The interior is falling apart at warp speed. Broken seat base here:

> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZB

And collapsed seat foam and springs here:

> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZC

And check out how badly the driver's door glass rattles in the door when
it's down? The bailey channel is completely worn out:

> https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gNjL-RlPEc8

Great, huh? It drives as well as it looks and has a shit-tonne of faults
like all good Commodores do. Best part? This car has done a genuine 116
thousand km's:

> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZA

Why anyone would *want* one of these fucking heaps of shit is totally
beyond me....

> I did a service on another Hilux owned by the same person as the recent
> one, main issue was the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree, TC, ABS
> and brake warning lights were on, turns out it was just a blown brake
> lamp fuse caused by a damaged wire when the driver backed into something.
> The driver and owner thought that there was something major wrong.

Yep. Little things can set them off. Lots of people plugging in trailers
and popping fuses cause all kinds of mayhem.

>> The body is reasonably good thanks to it sitting under cover for so
>> long, but it's a a full resto and needs everything. Paint, panel,
>> trim, rubber, glass, and all mechanicals.
>

> Shame that its had such a bad history but given its age its not all that
> surprising.

Not at all. Unfortunately finding a decent, unmodified, completely all
original barn find is extremely rare, and to the point where I'd never
be able to afford one today. I had one years ago when I bought my XU1
Torana, but that's my luck used up :)

>> I'd be happy with it at 65 grand. I reckon I could get it back to it's
>> former glory for around a hundred all up, and at that price it would
>> be cheap given where the market is at today. At the 80 grand he's
>> asking for it the thing is *still* half decent, but you wouldn't have
>> it on the road for under 120 I reckon. I don't think he'll come at the
>> 65, but we may be able to meet somewhere in the middle.
>>
>> Still, the market is strong. This is almost exactly the same car but
>> without all the options:
>>
>>> https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/detail/ford-falcon-876901
>>

> Hopefully you can meet him in the middle somewhere, it certainly should
> be restored and put back on the road.

We'll see how it goes.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<jc44d0FgcjpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13904&group=aus.cars#13904

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:31:42 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 03:31 UTC

On 18/4/2022 11:43 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/04/2022 10:59 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 18/4/2022 12:44 am, Noddy wrote:
>

>>> Did I mention that they're a cunt of a car? I hope so :)
>>
>> LOL, know what you mean, son bought a rolled VE SS auto for the engine
>> and trans, he asked me to have a look at it because it was smokey,
>> that was easily fixed by throwing away the oil soaked air filter and
>> cleaning out the plastic intake but then I decided to scan it to clear
>> the codes.
>> It wouldn't let me do a full scan, I managed to scan the engine and
>> clear the codes but either Holden's computer system isn't compatible
>> with my MS906BT or there was something damaged that wouldn't allow it
>> to scan but the car ran and drove OK.
>
> They really are a steaming pile of shit. Have a look at this here. This
> is Bev's kid's car that suffers from a host of normal, everyday VE
> quality issues:
>
> Apart from the clear peeling off:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZD
>
> The interior is falling apart at warp speed. Broken seat base here:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZB
>
> And collapsed seat foam and springs here:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZC
>
> And check out how badly the driver's door glass rattles in the door when
> it's down? The bailey channel is completely worn out:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gNjL-RlPEc8
>
> Great, huh? It drives as well as it looks and has a shit-tonne of faults
> like all good Commodores do. Best part? This car has done a genuine 116
> thousand km's:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZA
>
> Why anyone would *want* one of these fucking heaps of shit is totally
> beyond me....

Don't you know they are cool:-)
I really don't get why a young person would want a big car considering
the cost of petrol, maybe they think that being a Holden parts and
service will be cheap offsetting the fuel cost, how wrong can you be.
If I had to guess I'd say that the car in the pics had done closer to
300,000kms, I know they aren't great but to have that sort of wear at
that low kms is incredible.
I would have to wonder if the previous owner weighed 200kg and treated
the car like shit.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<t3im6e$gp7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13905&group=aus.cars#13905

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:33:29 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 03:33 UTC

On 18/04/2022 7:51 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 18/04/2022 9:44 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> **Thanks for that. I'm gonna guess that my original cost estimate is
>>> about right. I note that it appears the circuit board is manufactured
>>> by Mitsubishi FWIW.
>>
>> Yeah, it had Mitsubishi all over it.
>>

> **And that represents part of the reason why the Japanese automotive
> industry has been so successful. They share technology with each other.
> Mazda is clearly not strong in electronics technology, but Mitsubishi
> has long and broad experience in that area.

Mitsubishi Electric is an electronics and electrical products
manufacturer and it's own division of the Mitsubishi group of companies.
It's run completely separately from the automotive division.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<t3imgb$gp7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13906&group=aus.cars#13906

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:38:53 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 03:38 UTC

On 17/04/2022 1:10 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 17/04/2022 3:04 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> **Well done. I'd like to see a couple of internal photos of the
>>> controller, if possible. I betcha the fault is as simple as
>>> electrolytic capacitor replacement. Mind you: That would likely cost
>>> as much the second hand controller you found.
>>
>> I'll get it out of the scrap bin and open it up for some pics this
>> afternoon Trev. I never looked inside the thing but just assumed it
>> had about 30 bucks worth of radio shack parts in it like most
>> automotive electronics.
>>

> **I doubt that. Automotive electronics is actually, usually, well built
> to withstand quite difficult conditions.

Or not as is often the case as anyone working as a mechanic or auto
sparky would be most aware of.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<t3irso$ems$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13910&group=aus.cars#13910

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:10:45 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 05:10 UTC

On 18/04/2022 1:31 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/4/2022 11:43 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> LOL, know what you mean, son bought a rolled VE SS auto for the
>>> engine and trans, he asked me to have a look at it because it was
>>> smokey, that was easily fixed by throwing away the oil soaked air
>>> filter and cleaning out the plastic intake but then I decided to scan
>>> it to clear the codes.
>>> It wouldn't let me do a full scan, I managed to scan the engine and
>>> clear the codes but either Holden's computer system isn't compatible
>>> with my MS906BT or there was something damaged that wouldn't allow it
>>> to scan but the car ran and drove OK.
>>
>> They really are a steaming pile of shit. Have a look at this here.
>> This is Bev's kid's car that suffers from a host of normal, everyday
>> VE quality issues:
>>
>> Apart from the clear peeling off:
>>
>>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZD
>>
>> The interior is falling apart at warp speed. Broken seat base here:
>>
>>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZB
>>
>> And collapsed seat foam and springs here:
>>
>>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZC
>>
>> And check out how badly the driver's door glass rattles in the door
>> when it's down? The bailey channel is completely worn out:
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gNjL-RlPEc8
>>
>> Great, huh? It drives as well as it looks and has a shit-tonne of
>> faults like all good Commodores do. Best part? This car has done a
>> genuine 116 thousand km's:
>>
>>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZA
>>
>> Why anyone would *want* one of these fucking heaps of shit is totally
>> beyond me....
>
> Don't you know they are cool:-)

Yeah, right :)

> I really don't get why a young person would want a big car considering
> the cost of petrol, maybe they think that being a Holden parts and
> service will be cheap offsetting the fuel cost, how wrong can you be.
> If I had to guess I'd say that the car in the pics had done closer to
> 300,000kms, I know they aren't great but to have that sort of wear at
> that low kms is incredible.

It's a total heap of shit that they bought as a one owner, and it's just
fallen apart around them. The sad thing is that it's not at all out of
the ordinary for these things.

> I would have to wonder if the previous owner weighed 200kg and treated
> the car like shit.

I remember seeing it when they first bought it and it was okay. Had a
few niggles as all Commonwhores do, but it rapidly deteriorated. Not
that I think her son gives it a hard time, but it's not holding up well.

They just want it gone....

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<jc4accFhdk4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13911&group=aus.cars#13911

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:13:44 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 05:13 UTC

On 18/4/2022 11:22 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> Yeah, it had Mitsubishi all over it.
>>>

>> **And that represents part of the reason why the Japanese automotive
>> industry has been so successful. They share technology with each
>> other. Mazda is clearly not strong in electronics technology, but
>> Mitsubishi has long and broad experience in that area.
>
> They do, but that in itself can be interesting in other ways.
>
> For example, I'm looking at buying a new dual cab ute, and am currently
> hanging out to see what the new V6 Ranger is like when it hits the
> dealerships in a couple of months. If that doesn't impress me as much as
> I want it to then my plan B will be to opt for a Mitsubishi Triton.
> Mitsubishi have made great commercial vehicles for years and as you say
> their electronics experience is extensive.
>
> Yet the current Triton has a 7 inch multi function head unit that is
> apparently made by Kenwood and from all accounts it is a fascinating
> heap of unreliable shit.
>
> <shrug>

You should be used to unreliable heaps of shit by now, Navaras come to
mind. Obviously you are capable of *some* learning since you aren't
going to repeat that mistake and instead are looking for something
(anything!) different to replace that embarrassing Nissan parked in your
driveway.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Mazda 6 Power Steering :)

<jc4b4mFhil8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13913&group=aus.cars#13913

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:26:43 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 05:26 UTC

On 18/4/2022 11:43 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/04/2022 10:59 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 18/4/2022 12:44 am, Noddy wrote:
>

>>> Did I mention that they're a cunt of a car? I hope so :)
>>
>> LOL, know what you mean, son bought a rolled VE SS auto for the engine
>> and trans, he asked me to have a look at it because it was smokey,
>> that was easily fixed by throwing away the oil soaked air filter and
>> cleaning out the plastic intake but then I decided to scan it to clear
>> the codes.
>> It wouldn't let me do a full scan, I managed to scan the engine and
>> clear the codes but either Holden's computer system isn't compatible
>> with my MS906BT or there was something damaged that wouldn't allow it
>> to scan but the car ran and drove OK.
>
> They really are a steaming pile of shit. Have a look at this here. This
> is Bev's kid's car that suffers from a host of normal, everyday VE
> quality issues:
>
> Apart from the clear peeling off:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZD
>
> The interior is falling apart at warp speed. Broken seat base here:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZB
>
> And collapsed seat foam and springs here:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZC
>
> And check out how badly the driver's door glass rattles in the door when
> it's down? The bailey channel is completely worn out:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gNjL-RlPEc8
>
> Great, huh? It drives as well as it looks and has a shit-tonne of faults
> like all good Commodores do. Best part? This car has done a genuine 116
> thousand km's:
>
>> https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME9FMZA
>
> Why anyone would *want* one of these fucking heaps of shit is totally
> beyond me....
>
>> I did a service on another Hilux owned by the same person as the
>> recent one, main issue was the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree,
>> TC, ABS and brake warning lights were on, turns out it was just a
>> blown brake lamp fuse caused by a damaged wire when the driver backed
>> into something.
>> The driver and owner thought that there was something major wrong.
>
> Yep. Little things can set them off. Lots of people plugging in trailers
> and popping fuses cause all kinds of mayhem.

Plugging in a trailer *will not pop a brake light fuse*. All trailer
lights have their own fuse on the 12 volt power feed which may be
incorporated into the main fuse box or in an inline fuse holder. You
don't have a clue how trailer brake harnesses are incorporated into the
main loom! Do ya? I'll give you a clue! Trailer lights *do not load* the
car light circuits so cannot blow car lighting system fuses. The only
fuse they can blow is their own 12 volt supply fuse.

Had you *ever* done an apprenticeship as a mechanic, or an auto leccy,
you would know this.