One good turn asketh another. -- John Heywood

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

SubjectAuthor
* Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-postDavid
+* Re: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-postAndy Burns
|`- Re: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-postBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-postRod Speed
|+* Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!SH
||`* Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!David
|| +- Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Jeff Gaines
|| `* Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!David
||  `- Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Jaimie Vandenbergh
|+- Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Jeff Gaines
|`- Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Rod Speed
`* Re: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-postPaul
 +- Re: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-postAnother Dave
 `- Re: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-postAnother Dave

1
Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-post

<iof99oF6g0lU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1297&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1297

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-post
Date: 22 Aug 2021 15:37:28 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 15:37 UTC

Subject says it all.
I can start Notepad and it appears in the task bar but it won't display on
the screen.
No idea if this is a recent W10 "feature".
Initial searches not helping.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-post

<iofb5jFfr2oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1298&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1298

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 17:09:23 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 16:09 UTC

David wrote:

> I can start Notepad and it appears in the task bar but it won't display on
> the screen.

make sure the "invisible" notepad is selected in the taskbar,
press alt-space and then choose either restore or maximize from the menu
that should pop-up

Re: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-post

<iog483FkhjtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1299&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1299

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:17:20 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 23:17 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote

> Subject says it all.
> I can start Notepad and it appears in the
> task bar but it won't display on the screen.

Most likely its completely off the screen. Just use the move options.

> No idea if this is a recent W10 "feature".
> Initial searches not helping.

Re: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-post

<sfvhj5$3pe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1300&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1300

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 08:09:23 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 07:09 UTC

Why would you want an invisible notepad to start with?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> David wrote:
>
>> I can start Notepad and it appears in the task bar but it won't display
>> on
>> the screen.
>
> make sure the "invisible" notepad is selected in the taskbar,
> press alt-space and then choose either restore or maximize from the menu
> that should pop-up

Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<sfvocd$nad$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1301&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1301

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 10:05:16 +0100
 by: SH - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:05 UTC

On 23/08/2021 09:52, Peeler wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:17:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent
> Speed, the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:
>
>>> Subject says it all.
>>> I can start Notepad and it appears in the
>>> task bar but it won't display on the screen.
>>
>> Most likely its completely off the screen. Just use the move options.
>
> If it's *completely* off the screen, he won't be able to use the move
> options, smart aleck.

Does the OP use a 2nd monitor occasionally?

I use a PC monitor on display port and a TV set that also happens to
have HDMI.

The TV is on the wall above the desk

Reason being I have CCTV software so I can move the video mosaic to the
TV set and thus keep teh PC monitor clear for real computer work.

I only turn the TV set on when I need to view the video mosaic and I
leave the TV set plugged in via HDMI.

Winodws is pretty good at working out that the effective display changes
when I turn said TV on or off but occasionally Winodws gets itself into
a twist when I start up something and I can;t find it on the PC monitor
even though I can see the task bar button for it.

Solution is to turn TV ok, and use the mouse to drag the window across
to the PC monitor and turn the TV set off.

Re: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-post

<sfvphe$1k84$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1302&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1302

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 05:25:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:25 UTC

David wrote:
> Subject says it all.
> I can start Notepad and it appears in the task bar but it won't display on
> the screen.
> No idea if this is a recent W10 "feature".
> Initial searches not helping.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave R

You could try Task Manager - Processes_Tab - click the instance line for it - Maximize.

https://i.postimg.cc/N0wB6xM1/Task-Manager-Process-Tab-Maximize.gif

That's to prove it actually has a corresponding window.

Don't ask me what to do next :-)

I'm just trying to do something simple, to prove there
isn't a more serious problem.

*******

Right now on 21H1, I can see that some incoming patch,
is patching Notepad. Again, a state of flux exists.
Is it installed, that patch ? Or not ? Have you rebooted
lately and given the stupid thing a chance to finish
whatever mess it got itself into ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/august-10-2021-kb5005033-os-builds-19041-1165-19042-1165-and-19043-1165-b4c77d08-435a-4833-b9f7-e092372079a4

If the machine had been turned off for a while, that
might have just arrived. This is a file which lists
every file included in the KB5005033.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/1/e/e/1eeb7268-cb6a-4865-a98b-9c51f0ec7beb/5005033.csv

Notepad.exe 10.0.19041.1081 218624 bytes

*******

My notepad is functional. This is what Spy++ shows.

https://i.postimg.cc/VNyg0kq5/spy-notepad-details.gif

Under the green "Code" button here, is a "Download ZIP" option.
The ZIP I got, has a "spy14.00.25420" folder in it. The
"spyxx_amd64.exe" is for an x64 OS. The "spyxx.exe" is
for a x86 (32bit) OS.

https://github.com/westoncampbell/SpyPlusPlus

If you run that on Win7 or Win8, you'll need "two clumps
of DLLs". Since we're discussing Win10 right now, I
won't go into the misery of satisfying the extra passengers
that need to be thrown into the folder. Suffice to say,
some of the daily utilities we use, like Firefox, actually
have one of the clumps of DLLs installed with them. The
other bunch is a Visual Studio runtime (the files all have
the same name but are different versions, the most recent
versions contain multiple versions of files).

In Win10, "spyxx_amd64.exe" should "just work". Double-click.

In any case, you have two things. You have the Task Manager
knob, to try to get the window to appear. And running the
"spyxx_amd64.exe" by double-clicking, compare to my
[working] Notepad example, and see if there really is
a window listed for it. If your entry doesn't match mine,
that would be a bad sign. And you can't really make
a program do the right thing -- you could try elevating
Notepad, which Notepad does not mind. But things like
session number protection (where a program is in a
different "session" than the display manager), you can
be blocked then, from opening windows, which would be
an excellent reason for a window to be absent. You would
think any decent application would just exit, if denied
access to the display.

Paul

Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<xn0n1z2pja1ubg201a@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1303&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1303

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 23 Aug 2021 09:43:47 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:43 UTC

On 23/08/2021 in message <wmJUI.2080643$O2a8.1829979@usenetxs.com> Peeler
wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:17:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent
>Speed, the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:
>
>>>Subject says it all.
>>>I can start Notepad and it appears in the
>>>task bar but it won't display on the screen.
>>
>>Most likely its completely off the screen. Just use the move options.
>
>If it's completely off the screen, he won't be able to use the move
>options, smart aleck.

Yes you can, Alt + Spacebar then arrows or mouse, works a treat.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
George Washington was a British subject until well after his 40th birthday.

Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<iohbggFrm24U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1304&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1304

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 20:27:23 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 10:27 UTC

Peeler <trolltrap@valid.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Subject says it all.
>>> I can start Notepad and it appears in the
>>> task bar but it won't display on the screen.
>
>> Most likely its completely off the screen. Just use the move options.

> If it's *completely* off the screen, he
> won't be able to use the move options,

Wrong, as always. You use the keyboard keys to move it back onscreen,
fuckwit.

Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<ioibm4F6g0lU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1308&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1308

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 23 Aug 2021 19:36:36 GMT
 by: David - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 19:36 UTC

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 10:05:16 +0100, SH wrote:

> On 23/08/2021 09:52, Peeler wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:17:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent
>> Speed, the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

>>> Most likely its completely off the screen. Just use the move options.
>>
>> If it's *completely* off the screen, he won't be able to use the move
>> options, smart aleck.
>>

> Does the OP use a 2nd monitor occasionally?
>
> I use a PC monitor on display port and a TV set that also happens to
> have HDMI.
>
> The TV is on the wall above the desk
>
> Reason being I have CCTV software so I can move the video mosaic to the
> TV set and thus keep teh PC monitor clear for real computer work.
>
> I only turn the TV set on when I need to view the video mosaic and I
> leave the TV set plugged in via HDMI.
>
> Winodws is pretty good at working out that the effective display changes
> when I turn said TV on or off but occasionally Winodws gets itself into
> a twist when I start up something and I can;t find it on the PC monitor
> even though I can see the task bar button for it.
>
> Solution is to turn TV ok, and use the mouse to drag the window across
> to the PC monitor and turn the TV set off.

Interesting.
I do run a second monitor at times but assumed that when I disconnected
the second monitor and rebooted the system would know that there was only
one monitor.

I will check.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<xn0n1zkn7aq2mv2001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1310&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1310

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 23 Aug 2021 21:02:06 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 21:02 UTC

On 23/08/2021 in message <ioibm4F6g0lU4@mid.individual.net> David wrote:

>Interesting.
>I do run a second monitor at times but assumed that when I disconnected
>the second monitor and rebooted the system would know that there was only
>one monitor.

I wrote a program that saves its screen position in an xml file when it
shuts down. Windows does some very weird things with X/Y coordinates when
you are using more than one screen! I can't remember the details but think
negative coordinates and coordinates much greater than the screen size.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<iqoo5uFlen6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1391&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1391

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 Sep 2021 12:19:10 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 12:19 UTC

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 19:36:36 +0000, David wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 10:05:16 +0100, SH wrote:
>
>> On 23/08/2021 09:52, Peeler wrote:
>>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:17:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer
>>> Rodent Speed, the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered,
>>> again:

>>> If it's *completely* off the screen, he won't be able to use the move
>>> options, smart aleck.
>>>

>> Does the OP use a 2nd monitor occasionally?
>>
>> I use a PC monitor on display port and a TV set that also happens to
>> have HDMI.
>>
>> The TV is on the wall above the desk
>>
>> Reason being I have CCTV software so I can move the video mosaic to the
>> TV set and thus keep teh PC monitor clear for real computer work.
>>
>> I only turn the TV set on when I need to view the video mosaic and I
>> leave the TV set plugged in via HDMI.
>>
>> Winodws is pretty good at working out that the effective display
>> changes when I turn said TV on or off but occasionally Winodws gets
>> itself into a twist when I start up something and I can;t find it on
>> the PC monitor even though I can see the task bar button for it.
>>
>> Solution is to turn TV ok, and use the mouse to drag the window across
>> to the PC monitor and turn the TV set off.
>>

> Interesting.
> I do run a second monitor at times but assumed that when I disconnected
> the second monitor and rebooted the system would know that there was
> only one monitor.
>
> I will check.

Now back up on the laptop with the new battery.
Connected to the desktop monitor and it is showing Notepad.

I am still confused as to why it doesn't revert everything to the main
display when the laptop is running on its own.

At the moment I am just using the big monitor, with the lid of the laptop
closed.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-post

<si7mqk$5sd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1392&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1392

From: dmars...@nospam.com (Another Dave)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:00:20 +0100
 by: Another Dave - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:00 UTC

And this simpler than Linux? ;-(

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie

Re: Quick question - Notepad on W10 will only run minimised - X-post

<si7mun$5sd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1393&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1393

From: dmars...@nospam.com (Another Dave)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:02:31 +0100
 by: Another Dave - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:02 UTC

And this is simpler than Linux? ;-(

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie

Re: Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<iqp71hFoadbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1394&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1394

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Date: 19 Sep 2021 16:32:49 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:32 UTC

On 19 Sep 2021 at 13:19:10 BST, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 19:36:36 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 10:05:16 +0100, SH wrote:
>>>
>>> Winodws is pretty good at working out that the effective display
>>> changes when I turn said TV on or off but occasionally Winodws gets
>>> itself into a twist when I start up something and I can;t find it on
>>> the PC monitor even though I can see the task bar button for it.
>>>
>>> Solution is to turn TV ok, and use the mouse to drag the window across
>>> to the PC monitor and turn the TV set off.
>>>

>> Interesting.
>> I do run a second monitor at times but assumed that when I disconnected
>> the second monitor and rebooted the system would know that there was
>> only one monitor.
>>
>> I will check.
>
> Now back up on the laptop with the new battery.
> Connected to the desktop monitor and it is showing Notepad.
>
> I am still confused as to why it doesn't revert everything to the main
> display when the laptop is running on its own.

It is *supposed* to. If it doesn't there isn't a lot you can do about it
aside from re-connecting the second/larger screen and dragging it to
your primary/closer to the top-left. You can sometimes go Registry
diving and play 'spot the screen coordinates', but that's not at all
reliable these days. I remember when all this were .ini files....

Cheers - J
--
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's a scavenger hunt.