We just joined the civil hair patrol!

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

SubjectAuthor
* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Tweed
`* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Graeme Wall
 +* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Tweed
 |`* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 | `* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Tweed
 |  +* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Graeme Wall
 |  |+- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 |  |+* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Clank
 |  ||+- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Certes
 |  ||`* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 |  || +- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 |  || `* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Anna Noyd-Dryver
 |  ||  `* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 |  ||   +- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Charles Ellson
 |  ||   `- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Anna Noyd-Dryver
 |  |`* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardJohn Levine
 |  | +* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardRoland Perry
 |  | |+* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardAnna Noyd-Dryver
 |  | ||`* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardRoland Perry
 |  | || `* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardAnna Noyd-Dryver
 |  | ||  `- scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardRoland Perry
 |  | |+* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardPeter Johnson
 |  | ||`* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardMark Goodge
 |  | || +- scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardNY
 |  | || `- scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardNY
 |  | |+- scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardPeter Johnson
 |  | |`- scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardPeter Johnson
 |  | `- scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardLondon calling
 |  `* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 |   `* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Tweed
 |    `- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 +- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Anna Noyd-Dryver
 `* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
  +* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Charles Ellson
  |`* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
  | `- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Charles Ellson
  `- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Lew 1

Pages:12
Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14000&group=uk.transport.london#14000

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 13:34:56 -0000 (UTC)
<amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk>
<t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me>
<t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None>
<t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk>
<t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me>
<t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk>
<t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me>
<t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>
<crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk>
sha1:AOH+D5XVaCX2QeBB9Z/1w3z1b0k=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 13:34 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:47:22 on Fri, 24 Jun
> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If WH Smith can’t change £10, cash has had its day
>>>

>>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c367adcc-f328-11ec-beb3-8cbcdd742a9
>>> 5?shareToken=f10ac23e3bd28522a080591f185eeb93>
>>
>> I, quite literally, can’t remember the last time I *had* to pay with cash.
>
> Whereas now that Covid precautions are winding down, I must experience
> about once a week.
>
>> Which brings me to a related matter. At petrol stations where every pump is
>> pay at pump significant numbers of folk, around half, still go to pay
>> inside and most don’t come out with kiosk additional purchases. My, perhaps
>> uncharitable, thought is this is a way of disposing of cash in hand
>> earnings that don’t go through the books.
>
> Technophobia. My local quite big CoOp installed three self-scan tills
> about six weeks ago, and de-manned their four - but rarely more than one
> manned - traditional belt-tills (leaving just the Smoking/Lottery/
> Click&collect counter). And when I go in, the typical scene is ten to
> fifteen people queuing at that counter, and all three self-scan tills
> available.

I think that’s mainly because self scan tills are so bad. The ones that
have scales are terrible as you have to wait for each purchase to settle.
Even those that don’t have these have scanners that aren’t that good at
finding the bar code. Wilko recently turned some of their staff operated
checkouts over to customer use. Their hand held bar code scanners find the
barcode with ease. They are very much easier to use.

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14004&group=uk.transport.london#14004

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 16:25:32 +0100
<GxM0axPQDWsiFAhZ@perry.uk> <t8rtdo$oin$2@dont-email.me>
<67LbosWMoasiFAGV@perry.uk> <t8so37$muq$1@dont-email.me>
<t8sods$u5v$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t8sqjl$47l$5@dont-email.me>
<FE5kHIqEeqsiFADq@perry.uk> <t8ub9t$me2$1@dont-email.me>
<amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk> <t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me>
<t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None>
<t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk>
<t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me> <t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk> <t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me>
<t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me> <crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk>
<t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 15:25 UTC

On 24/06/2022 14:34, Tweed wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:47:22 on Fri, 24 Jun
>> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> I, quite literally, can’t remember the last time I *had* to pay with cash.
>>
>> Whereas now that Covid precautions are winding down, I must experience
>> about once a week.
>>
>>> Which brings me to a related matter. At petrol stations where every pump is
>>> pay at pump significant numbers of folk, around half, still go to pay
>>> inside and most don’t come out with kiosk additional purchases. My, perhaps
>>> uncharitable, thought is this is a way of disposing of cash in hand
>>> earnings that don’t go through the books.
>>
>> Technophobia. My local quite big CoOp installed three self-scan tills
>> about six weeks ago, and de-manned their four - but rarely more than one
>> manned - traditional belt-tills (leaving just the Smoking/Lottery/
>> Click&collect counter). And when I go in, the typical scene is ten to
>> fifteen people queuing at that counter, and all three self-scan tills
>> available.
>
> I think that’s mainly because self scan tills are so bad. The ones that
> have scales are terrible as you have to wait for each purchase to settle.
> Even those that don’t have these have scanners that aren’t that good at
> finding the bar code. Wilko recently turned some of their staff operated
> checkouts over to customer use. Their hand held bar code scanners find the
> barcode with ease. They are very much easier to use.

The scales on the self-serve tills are exactly the same as the those on
the manned tills.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14007&group=uk.transport.london#14007

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 17:02:17 -0000 (UTC)
<amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk>
<t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me>
<t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None>
<t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk>
<t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me>
<t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk>
<t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me>
<t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>
<crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk>
<t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me>
<t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:7zlvwjnYD+n0CN6YZHzQuKpXMas=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 17:02 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24/06/2022 14:34, Tweed wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:47:22 on Fri, 24 Jun
>>> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Whereas now that Covid precautions are winding down, I must experience
>>> about once a week.

>>> Technophobia. My local quite big CoOp installed three self-scan tills
>>> about six weeks ago, and de-manned their four - but rarely more than one
>>> manned - traditional belt-tills (leaving just the Smoking/Lottery/
>>> Click&collect counter). And when I go in, the typical scene is ten to
>>> fifteen people queuing at that counter, and all three self-scan tills
>>> available.
>>
>> I think that’s mainly because self scan tills are so bad. The ones that
>> have scales are terrible as you have to wait for each purchase to settle.
>> Even those that don’t have these have scanners that aren’t that good at
>> finding the bar code. Wilko recently turned some of their staff operated
>> checkouts over to customer use. Their hand held bar code scanners find the
>> barcode with ease. They are very much easier to use.
>>

> The scales on the self-serve tills are exactly the same as the those on
> the manned tills.

I mean the scales fitted to weigh every purchase to check you are putting
the correct thing in your bag, not scales to weigh loose veg etc.

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<t954fh$it9$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14011&group=uk.transport.london#14011

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 19:49:05 -0000 (UTC)
<amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk>
<t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me>
<t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None>
<t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk>
<t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me>
<t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk>
<t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me>
<t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>
<crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk>
<t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me>
<t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:Mrl/R4OXZvhqZlHvmKJbsyygRpQ=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 19:49 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24/06/2022 14:34, Tweed wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:47:22 on Fri, 24 Jun
>>> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Whereas now that Covid precautions are winding down, I must experience
>>> about once a week.

>>> Technophobia. My local quite big CoOp installed three self-scan tills
>>> about six weeks ago, and de-manned their four - but rarely more than one
>>> manned - traditional belt-tills (leaving just the Smoking/Lottery/
>>> Click&collect counter). And when I go in, the typical scene is ten to
>>> fifteen people queuing at that counter, and all three self-scan tills
>>> available.
>>
>> I think that’s mainly because self scan tills are so bad. The ones that
>> have scales are terrible as you have to wait for each purchase to settle.
>> Even those that don’t have these have scanners that aren’t that good at
>> finding the bar code. Wilko recently turned some of their staff operated
>> checkouts over to customer use. Their hand held bar code scanners find the
>> barcode with ease. They are very much easier to use.
>>

> The scales on the self-serve tills are exactly the same as the those on
> the manned tills.

The staffed checkouts don't weigh the scanned shopping to make sure that
the customer isn't trying to steal anything.

We're not talking about the scale with a scanner window in it, which you
use to weigh loose veg etc.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<41m77Tw$FttiFAf1@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14013&group=uk.transport.london#14013

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 10:12:31 +0100
<t8ub9t$me2$1@dont-email.me> <amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk>
<t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me> <t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None> <t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk> <t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me>
<t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org> <UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk>
<t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me> <t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>
<crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk> <t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me>
<t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 09:12 UTC

In message <t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:25:32 on Fri, 24 Jun
2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>>My local quite big CoOp installed three self-scan tills
>>> about six weeks ago, and de-manned their four - but rarely more than one
>>> manned - traditional belt-tills (leaving just the Smoking/Lottery/
>>> Click&collect counter). And when I go in, the typical scene is ten to
>>> fifteen people queuing at that counter, and all three self-scan tills
>>> available.

>> I think that’s mainly because self scan tills are so bad. The ones
>>that have scales are terrible as you have to wait for each purchase
>>to settle. Even those that don’t have these have scanners that
>>aren’t that good at finding the bar code. Wilko recently turned
>>some of their staff operated checkouts over to customer use. Their
>>hand held bar code scanners find the barcode with ease. They are very
>>much easier to use.
>
>The scales on the self-serve tills are exactly the same as the those on
>the manned tills.

At the CoOp here, the self-scan tills don't have scales. You have to use
a separate set of scales which prints out a barcode to attach to the
weighed produce.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<ylL5vwwKHttiFAet@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14014&group=uk.transport.london#14014

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 10:13:46 +0100
<t8sods$u5v$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t8sqjl$47l$5@dont-email.me>
<FE5kHIqEeqsiFADq@perry.uk> <t8ub9t$me2$1@dont-email.me>
<amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk> <t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me>
<t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None>
<t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk>
<t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me> <t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk> <t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me>
<t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me> <crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk>
<t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me> <t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>
<t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 09:13 UTC

In message <t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:02:17 on Fri, 24 Jun
2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> I think that’s mainly because self scan tills are so bad. The ones that
>>> have scales are terrible as you have to wait for each purchase to settle.
>>> Even those that don’t have these have scanners that aren’t that good at
>>> finding the bar code. Wilko recently turned some of their staff operated
>>> checkouts over to customer use. Their hand held bar code scanners find the
>>> barcode with ease. They are very much easier to use.
>>
>> The scales on the self-serve tills are exactly the same as the those on
>> the manned tills.
>
>I mean the scales fitted to weigh every purchase to check you are putting
>the correct thing in your bag, not scales to weigh loose veg etc.

Wilko doesn't have those.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<t96ori$3gnrn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14020&group=uk.transport.london#14020

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 10:42:58 -0000 (UTC)
<t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk>
<t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me>
<t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk>
<t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me>
<t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>
<crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk>
<t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me>
<t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>
<t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me>
<ylL5vwwKHttiFAet@perry.uk>
 by: Tweed - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 10:42 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:02:17 on Fri, 24 Jun
> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> The scales on the self-serve tills are exactly the same as the those on
>>> the manned tills.
>>
>> I mean the scales fitted to weigh every purchase to check you are putting
>> the correct thing in your bag, not scales to weigh loose veg etc.
>
> Wilko doesn't have those.

That is exactly my point. A decent handheld scanner and no weighing of
purchases transforms the self scan experience.

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<t96tid$3hvqc$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14023&group=uk.transport.london#14023

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 13:03:25 +0100
<t8sods$u5v$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t8sqjl$47l$5@dont-email.me>
<FE5kHIqEeqsiFADq@perry.uk> <t8ub9t$me2$1@dont-email.me>
<amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk> <t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me>
<t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None>
<t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk>
<t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me> <t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk> <t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me>
<t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me> <crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk>
<t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me> <t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>
<t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me> <ylL5vwwKHttiFAet@perry.uk>
<t96ori$3gnrn$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 12:03 UTC

On 25/06/2022 11:42, Tweed wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:02:17 on Fri, 24 Jun
>> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> I mean the scales fitted to weigh every purchase to check you are putting
>>> the correct thing in your bag, not scales to weigh loose veg etc.
>>
>> Wilko doesn't have those.
>
> That is exactly my point. A decent handheld scanner and no weighing of
> purchases transforms the self scan experience.

Available in many supermarkets.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<$Vc6Tt6VtvtiFA83@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14024&group=uk.transport.london#14024

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 13:11:01 +0100
<FE5kHIqEeqsiFADq@perry.uk> <t8ub9t$me2$1@dont-email.me>
<amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk> <t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me>
<t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None>
<t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk>
<t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me> <t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk> <t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me>
<t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me> <crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk>
<t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me> <t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>
<t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me> <ylL5vwwKHttiFAet@perry.uk>
<t96ori$3gnrn$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 12:11 UTC

In message <t96ori$3gnrn$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:42:58 on Sat, 25 Jun
2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:02:17 on Fri, 24 Jun
>> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> I mean the scales fitted to weigh every purchase to check you are putting
>>> the correct thing in your bag, not scales to weigh loose veg etc.
>>
>> Wilko doesn't have those.
>
>That is exactly my point. A decent handheld scanner and no weighing of
>purchases transforms the self scan experience.

I don't actually find the Wilko handheld scanners very easy to use. And
for buying more than two or three items it'd be painfully slow.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<nFf8nF7YvvtiFA+5@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14025&group=uk.transport.london#14025

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 13:13:12 +0100
<t8ub9t$me2$1@dont-email.me> <amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk>
<t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me> <t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None> <t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk> <t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me>
<t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org> <UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk>
<t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me> <t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>
<crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk> <t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me>
<t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me> <t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me>
<ylL5vwwKHttiFAet@perry.uk> <t96ori$3gnrn$1@dont-email.me>
<t96tid$3hvqc$4@dont-email.me>
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 12:13 UTC

In message <t96tid$3hvqc$4@dont-email.me>, at 13:03:25 on Sat, 25 Jun
2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 25/06/2022 11:42, Tweed wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:02:17 on Fri, 24 Jun
>>> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Wilko doesn't have those.

>> That is exactly my point. A decent handheld scanner and no weighing
>>of purchases transforms the self scan experience.
>
>Available in many supermarkets.

The only ones I've seen away from the manned tills are on the tills
where you check-out the self-scanned-while-shopping basket, and the
staff use it to re-scan the whole lot if you apparently look
disreputable enough.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<t96v25$3i3p6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14027&group=uk.transport.london#14027

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 12:28:53 -0000 (UTC)
<t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me>
<t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk>
<t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me>
<t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>
<crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk>
<t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me>
<t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>
<t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me>
<ylL5vwwKHttiFAet@perry.uk>
<t96ori$3gnrn$1@dont-email.me>
<$Vc6Tt6VtvtiFA83@perry.uk>
 by: Tweed - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 12:28 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t96ori$3gnrn$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:42:58 on Sat, 25 Jun
> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:02:17 on Fri, 24 Jun
>>> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Wilko doesn't have those.
>>
>> That is exactly my point. A decent handheld scanner and no weighing of
>> purchases transforms the self scan experience.
>
> I don't actually find the Wilko handheld scanners very easy to use. And
> for buying more than two or three items it'd be painfully slow.

Perhaps they have duff ones in Ely. I can pick things out of my
basket/trolley and scan them and put them in my bag almost as easily as
placing them on the belt for the cashier.

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<471ebhpba9jla5klgf5son0e2c87s37jok@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14029&group=uk.transport.london#14029

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 13:56:25 +0100
References: <t8ub9t$me2$1@dont-email.me> <amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk> <t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me> <t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None> <t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk> <t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me> <t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org> <UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk> <t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me> <t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me> <crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk> <t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me> <t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me> <41m77Tw$FttiFAf1@perry.uk>
 by: Charles Ellson - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 12:56 UTC

On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 10:12:31 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:25:32 on Fri, 24 Jun
>2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> I think that’s mainly because self scan tills are so bad. The ones
>>>that have scales are terrible as you have to wait for each purchase
>>>to settle. Even those that don’t have these have scanners that
>>>aren’t that good at finding the bar code. Wilko recently turned
>>>some of their staff operated checkouts over to customer use. Their
>>>hand held bar code scanners find the barcode with ease. They are very
>>>much easier to use.
>>
>>The scales on the self-serve tills are exactly the same as the those on
>>the manned tills.
>
>At the CoOp here, the self-scan tills don't have scales. You have to use
>a separate set of scales which prints out a barcode to attach to the
>weighed produce.

Sainsbury's at Fulham Wharf does that with loose veg but AFAIR the
tills still have their own scales.

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<frfSsN$bVwtiFALw@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14030&group=uk.transport.london#14030

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 13:53:47 +0100
<amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk> <t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me>
<t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None>
<t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk>
<t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me> <t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk> <t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me>
<t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me> <crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk>
<t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me> <t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>
<t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me> <ylL5vwwKHttiFAet@perry.uk>
<t96ori$3gnrn$1@dont-email.me> <$Vc6Tt6VtvtiFA83@perry.uk>
<t96v25$3i3p6$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 12:53 UTC

In message <t96v25$3i3p6$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:28:53 on Sat, 25 Jun
2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t96ori$3gnrn$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:42:58 on Sat, 25 Jun
>> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> That is exactly my point. A decent handheld scanner and no weighing of
>>> purchases transforms the self scan experience.
>>
>> I don't actually find the Wilko handheld scanners very easy to use. And
>> for buying more than two or three items it'd be painfully slow.
>
>Perhaps they have duff ones in Ely. I can pick things out of my
>basket/trolley and scan them and put them in my bag almost as easily as
>placing them on the belt for the cashier.

At Wilko here they want you to put the items in the output-chute, which
is inconveniently far from where the hand-held scanner is for a customer
DIY rather than an employee on the other side of the counter.

I usually scoop items out of my trolley onto the belt in eg Tesco/Aldi
four or five at a time, not individually.

And at that stage in the process putting things on the belt isn't the
critical path, which is the person in front being surprised to be asked
to pay, and trying to find their purse at the bottom of their handbag,
and then counting out the notes/coins in the purse only to discover they
don't have quite enough, so now have to rummage through their cards for
one to use instead.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<1050814491.677855831.626602.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14033&group=uk.transport.london#14033

From: ema...@nowhere.com (Lew 1)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 13:23:23 -0000 (UTC)
<tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None>
<t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk>
<t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me>
<t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk>
<t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me>
<t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>
<crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk>
<t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me>
<t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>
<41m77Tw$FttiFAf1@perry.uk>
 by: Lew 1 - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 13:23 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:25:32 on Fri, 24 Jun
> 2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> I think that’s mainly because self scan tills are so bad. The ones
>>> that have scales are terrible as you have to wait for each purchase
>>> to settle. Even those that don’t have these have scanners that
>>> aren’t that good at finding the bar code. Wilko recently turned
>>> some of their staff operated checkouts over to customer use. Their
>>> hand held bar code scanners find the barcode with ease. They are very
>>> much easier to use.
>>
>> The scales on the self-serve tills are exactly the same as the those on
>> the manned tills.
>
> At the CoOp here, the self-scan tills don't have scales. You have to use
> a separate set of scales which prints out a barcode to attach to the
> weighed produce.

That seems to be the standard setup at Waitrose self service tills. Mind
you, they don’t have bag-pack weighing scales either.

They can obviously be set at different levels: Sainsburys seem to basically
accept anything as long as the weight has changed - it is perfectly
possible to add another carrier bag along with an item without telling it
you are going to do so.

Other supermarkets, aka Coop, are far more fussy.

Although I have noticed that the much-derided announcement of ‘Unexpected
item in bagging area’ has gone, often replaced with an error sound or just
a request to ‘remove the last item’.

Lew

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<nkXsvfE7ZxtiFAcQ@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14034&group=uk.transport.london#14034

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 15:06:51 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:06 UTC

In message <471ebhpba9jla5klgf5son0e2c87s37jok@4ax.com>, at 13:56:25 on
Sat, 25 Jun 2022, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com>
remarked:
>On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 10:12:31 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:25:32 on Fri, 24 Jun
>>2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>>The scales on the self-serve tills are exactly the same as the those on
>>>the manned tills.
>>
>>At the CoOp here, the self-scan tills don't have scales. You have to use
>>a separate set of scales which prints out a barcode to attach to the
>>weighed produce.
>>
>Sainsbury's at Fulham Wharf does that with loose veg

Aren't those sorts of scales at the veg counters, rather than next to
the self-service tills?

>but AFAIR the tills still have their own scales.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<t97gl2$3jblo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14041&group=uk.transport.london#14041

From: clan...@googlemail.com (Clank)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 17:29:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Clank - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 17:29 UTC

On 25 Jun 2022 at 2:03:25 PM CEST, "Graeme Wall" <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 25/06/2022 11:42, Tweed wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t94qmp$7ia$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:02:17 on Fri, 24 Jun
>>> 2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Wilko doesn't have those.
>>
>> That is exactly my point. A decent handheld scanner and no weighing of
>> purchases transforms the self scan experience.
>>

> Available in many supermarkets.

Indeed; I make a conscious choice to use Carrefour as often as possible for
the 'big shop' because their self-checkouts are essentially just a regular
checkout without the staff - nice big belt to arrange your bags on while
you're packing, no 'weighing the bags' nonsense, and a hand scanner as well as
the 'normal' spinning-prism scanner for any tricky-to-scan things. Far quicker
and more convenient than a manned till.

Whereas Auchan on the other hand have the worst self checkouts I've ever used
- tiny packing area with nothing to hold bags on, that it weighs incredibly
unreliably, and seems to be impossible (with or without staff assistance) to
get back on track as soon as it's mis-weighed anything - meaning more often
than not you have to start the whole transaction from the beginning every time
something goes wrong. And because there's no way of saying "I'm using my own
bags", only *after* you've piled everything up like a Jenga tower on the
scales can you start packing your actual bags. I avoid them like the plague,
but it still mystifies me how they ever rolled the damned things out -
literally no other supermarket I've ever shopped in, worldwide, has anything
as crap or ill thought out.

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<66jebh9v63sarjjv0j09mfae7lptro8rl8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14042&group=uk.transport.london#14042

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 19:00:27 +0100
References: <t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None> <t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk> <t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me> <t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org> <UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk> <t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me> <t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me> <crhSM6ThbbtiFA6D@perry.uk> <t94ei0$75e$1@dont-email.me> <t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me> <41m77Tw$FttiFAf1@perry.uk> <471ebhpba9jla5klgf5son0e2c87s37jok@4ax.com> <nkXsvfE7ZxtiFAcQ@perry.uk>
 by: Charles Ellson - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 18:00 UTC

On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 15:06:51 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <471ebhpba9jla5klgf5son0e2c87s37jok@4ax.com>, at 13:56:25 on
>Sat, 25 Jun 2022, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com>
>remarked:
>>On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 10:12:31 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In message <t94l1c$pmf$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:25:32 on Fri, 24 Jun
>>>2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>>At the CoOp here, the self-scan tills don't have scales. You have to use
>>>a separate set of scales which prints out a barcode to attach to the
>>>weighed produce.
>>>
>>Sainsbury's at Fulham Wharf does that with loose veg
>
>Aren't those sorts of scales at the veg counters, rather than next to
>the self-service tills?

Yes but IME they cannot be relied upon to be fully working, having no
labels left being the usual defect.

>>but AFAIR the tills still have their own scales.

Thus providing plan B for weighing.

Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<t97k94$2vri$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14045&group=uk.transport.london#14045

From: joh...@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 18:31:00 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 18:31 UTC

According to Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk>:
>> That is exactly my point. A decent handheld scanner and no weighing of
>> purchases transforms the self scan experience.
>
>Available in many supermarkets.

My local supermarket has a phone app that uses the phone's camera to
scan the barcodes as I shop and put stuff in my bag. When I weigh veg,
the scale shows a barcode I can scan, so I don't need to print a label
or even to use a separate bag. When I get to the self-serve till, the
app scans a barcode on the till's screen which then transfers the list
to the till, and lets me finish there. The app only works when
connected to the store's wifi which I imagine avoids a range of
naughtiness.

It's great, time at the till is usually under a minute. The app is
Toshiba branded. Do they not have it where you are?

My main complaint is that the supermarket has a separate shopping list
app so I have to switch back and forth. That app sorts the list by
aisle so I can make one pass through the store.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<t97kgq$3jkr4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14046&group=uk.transport.london#14046

From: non...@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 19:35:06 +0100
 by: Certes - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 18:35 UTC

On 25/06/2022 18:29, Clank wrote:
> Indeed; I make a conscious choice to use Carrefour as often as possible for
> the 'big shop' because their self-checkouts are essentially just a regular
> checkout without the staff - nice big belt to arrange your bags on while
> you're packing, no 'weighing the bags' nonsense, and a hand scanner as well as
> the 'normal' spinning-prism scanner for any tricky-to-scan things. Far quicker
> and more convenient than a manned till.
>
> Whereas Auchan on the other hand have the worst self checkouts I've ever used
> - tiny packing area with nothing to hold bags on, that it weighs incredibly
> unreliably, and seems to be impossible (with or without staff assistance) to
> get back on track as soon as it's mis-weighed anything - meaning more often
> than not you have to start the whole transaction from the beginning every time
> something goes wrong. And because there's no way of saying "I'm using my own
> bags", only *after* you've piled everything up like a Jenga tower on the
> scales can you start packing your actual bags. I avoid them like the plague,
> but it still mystifies me how they ever rolled the damned things out -
> literally no other supermarket I've ever shopped in, worldwide, has anything
> as crap or ill thought out.

If your first purchase is a variable-weight item priced "each" rather
than "per kg", such as a melon, you can probably sneak a bag or two onto
the scale with it. But you shouldn't have to.

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<w8jppyglFAuiFAWQ@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14048&group=uk.transport.london#14048

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 07:49:09 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 06:49 UTC

In message <t97gl2$3jblo$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:29:06 on Sat, 25 Jun
2022, Clank <clank75@googlemail.com> remarked:
>On 25 Jun 2022 at 2:03:25 PM CEST, "Graeme Wall" <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:

>>> That is exactly my point. A decent handheld scanner and no weighing of
>>> purchases transforms the self scan experience.
>>
>> Available in many supermarkets.
>
>Indeed; I make a conscious choice to use Carrefour as often as possible for
>the 'big shop' because their self-checkouts are essentially just a regular
>checkout without the staff - nice big belt to arrange your bags on while
>you're packing, no 'weighing the bags' nonsense, and a hand scanner as well as
>the 'normal' spinning-prism scanner for any tricky-to-scan things. Far quicker
>and more convenient than a manned till.
>
>Whereas Auchan on the other hand have the worst self checkouts I've ever used
>- tiny packing area with nothing to hold bags on, that it weighs incredibly
>unreliably, and seems to be impossible (with or without staff assistance) to
>get back on track as soon as it's mis-weighed anything - meaning more often
>than not you have to start the whole transaction from the beginning every time
>something goes wrong. And because there's no way of saying "I'm using my own
>bags", only *after* you've piled everything up like a Jenga tower on the
>scales can you start packing your actual bags. I avoid them like the plague,
>but it still mystifies me how they ever rolled the damned things out -
>literally no other supermarket I've ever shopped in, worldwide, has anything
>as crap or ill thought out.

M&S have added confusion factor in that if you take a bag to pack into,
you naturally scan the barcode (wouldn't want to shoplift it). At the
very end it says "how many bags are you using", and if you say "one", it
charges for a second!
--
Roland Perry

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<AshlNuisSAuiFAxG@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14049&group=uk.transport.london#14049

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 08:03:08 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 07:03 UTC

In message <w8jppyglFAuiFAWQ@perry.uk>, at 07:49:09 on Sun, 26 Jun 2022,
Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>In message <t97gl2$3jblo$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:29:06 on Sat, 25 Jun
>2022, Clank <clank75@googlemail.com> remarked:
>>On 25 Jun 2022 at 2:03:25 PM CEST, "Graeme Wall" <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk>
>>wrote:

>>> Available in many supermarkets.
>>
>>Indeed; I make a conscious choice to use Carrefour as often as possible for
>>the 'big shop' because their self-checkouts are essentially just a regular
>>checkout without the staff - nice big belt to arrange your bags on while
>>you're packing, no 'weighing the bags' nonsense, and a hand scanner as well as
>>the 'normal' spinning-prism scanner for any tricky-to-scan things. Far quicker
>>and more convenient than a manned till.
>>
>>Whereas Auchan on the other hand have the worst self checkouts I've ever used
>>- tiny packing area with nothing to hold bags on, that it weighs incredibly
>>unreliably, and seems to be impossible (with or without staff assistance) to
>>get back on track as soon as it's mis-weighed anything - meaning more often
>>than not you have to start the whole transaction from the beginning every time
>>something goes wrong. And because there's no way of saying "I'm using my own
>>bags", only *after* you've piled everything up like a Jenga tower on the
>>scales can you start packing your actual bags. I avoid them like the plague,
>>but it still mystifies me how they ever rolled the damned things out -
>>literally no other supermarket I've ever shopped in, worldwide, has anything
>>as crap or ill thought out.
>
>M&S have added confusion factor in that if you take a bag

(A brand new one, not re-using an old one)

>to pack into, you naturally scan the barcode (wouldn't want to shoplift
>it). At the very end it says "how many bags are you using", and if you
>say "one", it charges for a second!

--
Roland Perry

Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<KMKn1IiCRAuiFATx@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14050&group=uk.transport.london#14050

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 08:01:22 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 07:01 UTC

In message <t97k94$2vri$1@gal.iecc.com>, at 18:31:00 on Sat, 25 Jun
2022, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:
>According to Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk>:
>>> That is exactly my point. A decent handheld scanner and no weighing of
>>> purchases transforms the self scan experience.
>>
>>Available in many supermarkets.
>
>My local supermarket has a phone app that uses the phone's camera to
>scan the barcodes as I shop and put stuff in my bag. When I weigh veg,
>the scale shows a barcode I can scan, so I don't need to print a label
>or even to use a separate bag. When I get to the self-serve till, the
>app scans a barcode on the till's screen which then transfers the list
>to the till, and lets me finish there. The app only works when
>connected to the store's wifi which I imagine avoids a range of
>naughtiness.
>
>It's great, time at the till is usually under a minute. The app is
>Toshiba branded. Do they not have it where you are?

Some stores have hand-held scanners in a rack by the door, and once you
are registered in the scheme (often linked to a loyalty card) you scan
each item as you put it in the trolley. It's a bit of a pain if you
change your mind about an item. And then at a special group of tills you
download the contents of the scanner, it adds it up, and someone comes
over and decides they'll re-scan the whole lot anyway, just in case
you've sneaked in an extra packet of mints without scanning. Almost
no-one uses them at my Tesco, it's a complete white elephant.

>My main complaint is that the supermarket has a separate shopping list
>app so I have to switch back and forth. That app sorts the list by
>aisle so I can make one pass through the store.

I tend to do one almost complete snaking pass anyway, unless there's an
aisle like "pets" - which never seems to have any actual pets for sale -
that I know I definitely don't need. That way I can see any newly
introduced items, or bargains; and of course pick up the shopping I was
originally intending to get, along the route.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<t99dq4$3svuj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14054&group=uk.transport.london#14054

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:52:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:i7W2FEzsaISh7zVK+BdZ+si9+wU=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:52 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t97gl2$3jblo$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:29:06 on Sat, 25 Jun
> 2022, Clank <clank75@googlemail.com> remarked:
>> On 25 Jun 2022 at 2:03:25 PM CEST, "Graeme Wall" <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Available in many supermarkets.
>>
>> Indeed; I make a conscious choice to use Carrefour as often as possible for
>> the 'big shop' because their self-checkouts are essentially just a regular
>> checkout without the staff - nice big belt to arrange your bags on while
>> you're packing, no 'weighing the bags' nonsense, and a hand scanner as well as
>> the 'normal' spinning-prism scanner for any tricky-to-scan things. Far quicker
>> and more convenient than a manned till.
>>
>> Whereas Auchan on the other hand have the worst self checkouts I've ever used
>> - tiny packing area with nothing to hold bags on, that it weighs incredibly
>> unreliably, and seems to be impossible (with or without staff assistance) to
>> get back on track as soon as it's mis-weighed anything - meaning more often
>> than not you have to start the whole transaction from the beginning every time
>> something goes wrong. And because there's no way of saying "I'm using my own
>> bags", only *after* you've piled everything up like a Jenga tower on the
>> scales can you start packing your actual bags. I avoid them like the plague,
>> but it still mystifies me how they ever rolled the damned things out -
>> literally no other supermarket I've ever shopped in, worldwide, has anything
>> as crap or ill thought out.
>
> M&S have added confusion factor in that if you take a bag to pack into,
> you naturally scan the barcode (wouldn't want to shoplift it). At the
> very end it says "how many bags are you using", and if you say "one", it
> charges for a second!

That's a mistake you only make once, of course.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<t99dq5$3svuj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14055&group=uk.transport.london#14055

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:52:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ygOLKLUHjH0nhN/j0R4FxFHKEz0=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:52 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t97k94$2vri$1@gal.iecc.com>, at 18:31:00 on Sat, 25 Jun
> 2022, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:
>>>
>>> Available in many supermarkets.
>>
>> My local supermarket has a phone app that uses the phone's camera to
>> scan the barcodes as I shop and put stuff in my bag. When I weigh veg,
>> the scale shows a barcode I can scan, so I don't need to print a label
>> or even to use a separate bag. When I get to the self-serve till, the
>> app scans a barcode on the till's screen which then transfers the list
>> to the till, and lets me finish there. The app only works when
>> connected to the store's wifi which I imagine avoids a range of
>> naughtiness.
>>
>> It's great, time at the till is usually under a minute. The app is
>> Toshiba branded. Do they not have it where you are?
>
> Some stores have hand-held scanners in a rack by the door, and once you
> are registered in the scheme (often linked to a loyalty card) you scan
> each item as you put it in the trolley. It's a bit of a pain if you
> change your mind about an item. And then at a special group of tills you
> download the contents of the scanner, it adds it up, and someone comes
> over and decides they'll re-scan the whole lot anyway, just in case
> you've sneaked in an extra packet of mints without scanning. Almost
> no-one uses them at my Tesco, it's a complete white elephant.

At Asda it's linked only to your phone number. Initially you would be
automatically selected by the system for a total re-scan randomly about one
time in ten, but after a while it changed and now the staff scan five
random items from your shopping, again about one time in ten or perhaps
even less.

I find it very efficient and user-friendly, provided I remember to take a
shopping bag in with me.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<k7gcYeyp6DuiFAEv@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14056&group=uk.transport.london#14056

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:10:33 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 11:10 UTC

In message <t99dq4$3svuj$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:52:52 on Sun, 26 Jun
2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t97gl2$3jblo$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:29:06 on Sat, 25 Jun
>> 2022, Clank <clank75@googlemail.com> remarked:

>>> Indeed; I make a conscious choice to use Carrefour as often as
>>>possible for the 'big shop' because their self-checkouts are
>>>essentially just a regular checkout without the staff - nice big
>>>belt to arrange your bags on while you're packing, no 'weighing the
>>>bags' nonsense, and a hand scanner as well as the 'normal'
>>>spinning-prism scanner for any tricky-to-scan things. Far quicker
>>>and more convenient than a manned till.
>>>
>>> Whereas Auchan on the other hand have the worst self checkouts I've
>>>ever used - tiny packing area with nothing to hold bags on, that it
>>>weighs incredibly unreliably, and seems to be impossible (with or
>>>without staff assistance) to get back on track as soon as it's
>>>mis-weighed anything - meaning more often than not you have to start
>>>the whole transaction from the beginning every time something goes
>>>wrong. And because there's no way of saying "I'm using my own bags",
>>>only *after* you've piled everything up like a Jenga tower on the
>>>scales can you start packing your actual bags. I avoid them like the
>>>plague, but it still mystifies me how they ever rolled the damned
>>>things out - literally no other supermarket I've ever shopped in,
>>>worldwide, has anything as crap or ill thought out.
>>
>> M&S have added confusion factor in that if you take a bag to pack into,
>> you naturally scan the barcode (wouldn't want to shoplift it). At the
>> very end it says "how many bags are you using", and if you say "one", it
>> charges for a second!
>
>That's a mistake you only make once, of course.

Maybe you only shop there once (this was in the food court at a
hospital, I don't normally shop in M&S on the High St, not least because
the nearest branch is an hour's drive away).

--
Roland Perry

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?