From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: fun with plastic, not Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 16:06:07 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 15:06 UTC

On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 08:37:00 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <3i59bh9qtotmi98tt1sdgceroa2kk9c1a4@4ax.com>, at 17:40:50 on
>Thu, 23 Jun 2022, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com>
>remarked:
>>On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 11:24:49 +0100, Graeme Wall
>><rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Not noticed any increase in rate personally, though as it is supposed to
>>>be random that may change.
>>>
>>There could be a different reason for the ratio changing. The card
>>readers have been changing during the last couple of years (old ones -
>>tap card on screen; new ones tap card on top of reader above the
>>screen)
>
>I've only ever seen that latter in some hospitality venues there the
>terminal is a portable one (eg proffered by bar staff). Supermarkets
>all still have the screen (on a permanently wired-in terminal), and
>green bars across the top of the screen.

Current vague sampling locally and across various bits of London -
Aldi, Lidl - touch on the screen
Tesco, Sainsbury's - touch above the screen
ASDA - about 50/50 ?

The newer readers seem to be the current standard where supermarkets
other than Aldi/Lidl have been replacing/supplementing human-crewed
tills with self-service.
<snip>

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: fun with plastic, not Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?