From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?
Date: 24 Jun 2022 17:35:07 +0100 (BST)
References: <t8ph7e$9ba$2@dont-email.me> <6dD7h+wvMFsiFA0v@perry.uk> <t8pofj$59e$1@dont-email.me> <feTChK0vkHsiFAQz@perry.uk> <t8qirl$rc0$1@dont-email.me> <GxM0axPQDWsiFAhZ@perry.uk> <t8rtdo$oin$2@dont-email.me> <67LbosWMoasiFAGV@perry.uk> <t8so37$muq$1@dont-email.me> <t8sods$u5v$1@gioia.aioe.org> <t8sqjl$47l$5@dont-email.me> <FE5kHIqEeqsiFADq@perry.uk> <t8ub9t$me2$1@dont-email.me> <amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk> <t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me> <t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None> <t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk> <t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me> <t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org> <UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk> <t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me> <t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Theo - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 16:35 UTC

In uk.transport.london Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> I, quite literally, can’t remember the last time I *had* to pay with cash.
> Which brings me to a related matter. At petrol stations where every pump is
> pay at pump significant numbers of folk, around half, still go to pay
> inside and most don’t come out with kiosk additional purchases. My, perhaps
> uncharitable, thought is this is a way of disposing of cash in hand
> earnings that don’t go through the books.

I suspect many commercial drivers are on fuel cards - do those work in pay
at pump?

Esso doesn't have pay at pump, they have an app instead. But individual
garages have to opt into it, and many don't.

They claim the pay at pump machines are too expensive to install, which
might be because garages are often run by franchisees and they don't want to
pay extra for machines which would potentially reduce their shop revenue.

Theo

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<lFy83WxsJttiFAfm@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14015&group=uk.transport.london#14015

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 10:16:28 +0100
<t8rtdo$oin$2@dont-email.me> <67LbosWMoasiFAGV@perry.uk>
<t8so37$muq$1@dont-email.me> <t8sods$u5v$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<t8sqjl$47l$5@dont-email.me> <FE5kHIqEeqsiFADq@perry.uk>
<t8ub9t$me2$1@dont-email.me> <amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk>
<t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me> <t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None> <t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk> <t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me>
<t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org> <UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk>
<t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me> <t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>
<3Dz*UNxRy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 09:16 UTC

In message <3Dz*UNxRy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, at 17:35:07 on Fri,
24 Jun 2022, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> remarked:
>In uk.transport.london Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I, quite literally, can’t remember the last time I *had* to pay with cash.
>> Which brings me to a related matter. At petrol stations where every pump is
>> pay at pump significant numbers of folk, around half, still go to pay
>> inside and most don’t come out with kiosk additional purchases. My, perhaps
>> uncharitable, thought is this is a way of disposing of cash in hand
>> earnings that don’t go through the books.
>
>I suspect many commercial drivers are on fuel cards - do those work in pay
>at pump?
>
>Esso doesn't have pay at pump, they have an app instead.

And I bet they have signs on the pumps prohibiting the use of mobile
phones DUH!

That's what it's like at the BP garages here (who also have an app).

>But individual garages have to opt into it, and many don't.
>
>They claim the pay at pump machines are too expensive to install, which
>might be because garages are often run by franchisees and they don't want to
>pay extra for machines which would potentially reduce their shop revenue.

There's that too, although it depends how much stuff there is in the
shop to buy in the first place. And if you have too big of a shop,
people spend so long shopping they clog up the pumps for subsequent
customers.
--
Roland Perry

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?