Simon's Law: Everything put together falls apart sooner or later.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: CX500

SubjectAuthor
* CX500jeremy
+* CX500wessie
|`* CX500Pete Fisher
| `- CX500jeremy
+* CX500Pipl
|+* CX500Pipl
||`* CX500Mike Fleming
|| `- CX500Mike Fleming
|`- CX500Hog
`* CX500Champ
 +- CX500chrisnd @ukrm
 +- CX500Ace
 +- CX500Mike Fleming
 `- CX500Gyp

1
CX500

<k1vvumFiojgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13939&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#13939

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Subject: CX500
Date: 8 Jan 2023 13:49:10 GMT
 by: jeremy - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 13:49 UTC

A friend of mine recently acquired a CX500 - he had one 40 years ago or so -
he sees it as a slow-burn project to work on when he retires. No urgency. But
he wrote this to me:

"I think the first thing on my list is to get the engine out and fixed to make
sure it’s not beyond repair. Not sure whether to attempt that myself or get
someone to do for me (ie complete strip & rebuild). Do you know anyone you’d
recommend?"

Now for some reason he may have got the impression that I have some knowledge
or expertise (which I don't, just an enthusiasm for nostalgia) - but can
anyone here offer me any suggestions that I can relay?

cheers & HNY

--
jeremy

Re: CX500

<XnsAF86980069B7Cwtymmmsas@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13941&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#13941

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Subject: Re: CX500
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 14:56:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 14:56 UTC

jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote in

> A friend of mine recently acquired a CX500 - he had one 40 years ago
> or so - he sees it as a slow-burn project to work on when he retires.
> No urgency. But he wrote this to me:
>
> "I think the first thing on my list is to get the engine out and fixed
> to make sure it’s not beyond repair. Not sure whether to attempt
> that myself or get someone to do for me (ie complete strip & rebuild).
> Do you know anyone you’d recommend?"
>
> Now for some reason he may have got the impression that I have some
> knowledge or expertise (which I don't, just an enthusiasm for
> nostalgia) - but can anyone here offer me any suggestions that I can
> relay?
>
> cheers & HNY

a lot depends on whether the engine runs. If not, does it have a known
mechanical problem or could it just be lack of maintnenance, fuel or
electrical related?

Hardly worth stripping the engine if it runs or just needs the carbs
cleaning and/or electrics refurbished. A friend had a CX500C and electrical
gremlins were a constnant PITA. I had to follow him down the M6 from
Carlisle in pissing rain as his rear light was off more than it was on.
Hateful journey as the POS was so slow with luggage and 20 stone rider.

Re: CX500

<k20a7bFk001U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13947&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#13947

From: pet...@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 16:44:28 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 16:44 UTC

On 08/01/2023 14:56, wessie wrote:
> jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> A friend of mine recently acquired a CX500 - he had one 40 years ago
>> or so - he sees it as a slow-burn project to work on when he retires.
>> No urgency. But he wrote this to me:
>>
>> "I think the first thing on my list is to get the engine out and fixed
>> to make sure it’s not beyond repair. Not sure whether to attempt
>> that myself or get someone to do for me (ie complete strip & rebuild).
>> Do you know anyone you’d recommend?"
>>
>> Now for some reason he may have got the impression that I have some
>> knowledge or expertise (which I don't, just an enthusiasm for
>> nostalgia) - but can anyone here offer me any suggestions that I can
>> relay?
>>
>> cheers & HNY
>>

> a lot depends on whether the engine runs. If not, does it have a known
> mechanical problem or could it just be lack of maintnenance, fuel or
> electrical related?
>
> Hardly worth stripping the engine if it runs or just needs the carbs
> cleaning and/or electrics refurbished. A friend had a CX500C and electrical
> gremlins were a constnant PITA. I had to follow him down the M6 from
> Carlisle in pissing rain as his rear light was off more than it was on.
> Hateful journey as the POS was so slow with luggage and 20 stone rider.

It appears there even a couple of oddballs on the VMCC forum that own a
'plastic maggot'.

As you might expect these days, three Facebook CX500 groups. One with
8k members. Might be worth the friend asking on there.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375, Moto Morini 2C/350
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: CX500

<567mrh9kt93i8pi4sif8glgvcbh7co7l1a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13949&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#13949

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 19:49:08 +0000
 by: Pipl - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 19:49 UTC

On 8 Jan 2023 13:49:10 GMT, jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

>A friend of mine recently acquired a CX500 - he had one 40 years ago or so -
>he sees it as a slow-burn project to work on when he retires. No urgency. But
>he wrote this to me:
>
>"I think the first thing on my list is to get the engine out and fixed to make
>sure it’s not beyond repair. Not sure whether to attempt that myself or get
>someone to do for me (ie complete strip & rebuild). Do you know anyone you’d
>recommend?"
>
>Now for some reason he may have got the impression that I have some knowledge
>or expertise (which I don't, just an enthusiasm for nostalgia) - but can
>anyone here offer me any suggestions that I can relay?
>
>cheers & HNY

The engine comes out quite easily with radiator as a unit, IIRC.

Common faults I encountered (I paid far too much for a complete dog
many years ago):
* Rattly camchains
* Leaky water pump mechanical seal.

These are both at the back of the engine, so it has to come out to fix
it. Camchain is IIRC a duplex chain and the guides may need changing -
might as well if you do have to change the chain. Can't recall if the
sprockets are replaceable. Note tha it it's *really* worn then it
makes a sort of clonking noise rather like a big end.

Ignition is also at the back of the engine.

--

-Pip

Re: CX500

<ql7mrh1411gqrrb903b9qqp3k6aa69fqbo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13950&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#13950

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 19:52:03 +0000
 by: Pipl - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 19:52 UTC

On Sun, 08 Jan 2023 19:49:08 +0000, Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote:

>it. Camchain is IIRC a duplex chain

Correction: might be a Hy-vo or equivalent, come to think of it.

--

-Pip

Re: CX500

<k222l8Fslk9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13955&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#13955

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Date: 9 Jan 2023 08:47:36 GMT
 by: jeremy - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 08:47 UTC

On 8 Jan 2023 at 16:44:28 GMT, "Pete Fisher" <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 08/01/2023 14:56, wessie wrote:
>> jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> A friend of mine recently acquired a CX500 - he had one 40 years ago
>>> or so - he sees it as a slow-burn project to work on when he retires.
>>> No urgency. But he wrote this to me:
>>>
>>> "I think the first thing on my list is to get the engine out and fixed
>>> to make sure it’s not beyond repair. Not sure whether to attempt
>>> that myself or get someone to do for me (ie complete strip & rebuild).
>>> Do you know anyone you’d recommend?"
>>>
>>> Now for some reason he may have got the impression that I have some
>>> knowledge or expertise (which I don't, just an enthusiasm for
>>> nostalgia) - but can anyone here offer me any suggestions that I can
>>> relay?
>>>
>>> cheers & HNY
>>>

>> a lot depends on whether the engine runs. If not, does it have a known
>> mechanical problem or could it just be lack of maintnenance, fuel or
>> electrical related?
>>
>> Hardly worth stripping the engine if it runs or just needs the carbs
>> cleaning and/or electrics refurbished. A friend had a CX500C and electrical
>> gremlins were a constnant PITA. I had to follow him down the M6 from
>> Carlisle in pissing rain as his rear light was off more than it was on.
>> Hateful journey as the POS was so slow with luggage and 20 stone rider.
>
> It appears there even a couple of oddballs on the VMCC forum that own a
> 'plastic maggot'.
>
> As you might expect these days, three Facebook CX500 groups. One with
> 8k members. Might be worth the friend asking on there.

thanks, all, for your comments
--
jeremy

Re: CX500

<k22orlF1dn8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13971&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#13971

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 15:06:29 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 15:06 UTC

On 08/01/2023 19:52, Pipl wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2023 19:49:08 +0000, Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> it. Camchain is IIRC a duplex chain
>
> Correction: might be a Hy-vo or equivalent, come to think of it.

I think it's a hy-vo. My problems were rattly camchain (IIRC there was a
mod, possibly a redesigned tensioner, that sorted that out), leaky water
pump seal (Hylomar sorted that out) and a coil failing. Plus I had two
engines that dropped valves.

Re: CX500

<58fqrhtt4sv4ctjdk4ha0fb0j5ttkgov92@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13987&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#13987

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 10:26:22 +0000
 by: Champ - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 10:26 UTC

On 8 Jan 2023 13:49:10 GMT, jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

>A friend of mine recently acquired a CX500 - he had one 40 years ago or so -
>he sees it as a slow-burn project to work on when he retires. No urgency. But
>he wrote this to me:
>
>"I think the first thing on my list is to get the engine out and fixed to make
>sure it’s not beyond repair. Not sure whether to attempt that myself or get
>someone to do for me (ie complete strip & rebuild). Do you know anyone you’d
>recommend?"
>
>Now for some reason he may have got the impression that I have some knowledge
>or expertise (which I don't, just an enthusiasm for nostalgia) - but can
>anyone here offer me any suggestions that I can relay?

I can provide some advice, if you like

Tell him it's a foul abomination that age has not made anyone look on
more kindly, and the best thing is for him to throw it in the canal

HTH
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: CX500

<k252bbFc60pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13991&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#13991

From: chri...@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 12:00:43 +0000
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 12:00 UTC

On 10/01/2023 10:26, Champ wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2023 13:49:10 GMT, jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine recently acquired a CX500 - he had one 40 years ago or so -
>> he sees it as a slow-burn project to work on when he retires. No urgency. But
>> he wrote this to me:
>>
>> "I think the first thing on my list is to get the engine out and fixed to make
>> sure it’s not beyond repair. Not sure whether to attempt that myself or get
>> someone to do for me (ie complete strip & rebuild). Do you know anyone you’d
>> recommend?"
>>
>> Now for some reason he may have got the impression that I have some knowledge
>> or expertise (which I don't, just an enthusiasm for nostalgia) - but can
>> anyone here offer me any suggestions that I can relay?
>
> I can provide some advice, if you like
>
> Tell him it's a foul abomination that age has not made anyone look on
> more kindly, and the best thing is for him to throw it in the canal
>
> HTH

Hmmm.. any bike in the canal is bad news...
Nomatter how much they deserve it...
(Reaches for grappling hook and large magnet[1])

Chris
[1]1Weren't we here before recently? Or was that in hx.erp.furqf ?
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: CX500

<ci1rrhd60pgvbhk4gd7gn3ekt7ia2hrblk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13999&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#13999

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 16:38:28 +0100
 by: Ace - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 15:38 UTC

On Tue, 10 Jan 2023 10:26:22 +0000, Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote:

>On 8 Jan 2023 13:49:10 GMT, jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>A friend of mine recently acquired a CX500

>I can provide some advice, if you like
>
>Tell him it's a foul abomination that age has not made anyone look on
>more kindly, and the best thing is for him to throw it in the canal

Truly you are the VoR.
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: CX500

<k25ndlFfagpU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14003&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14003

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 18:00:19 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 18:00 UTC

On 10/01/2023 07:28, Pip Luscher wrote:
> Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> Wrote in message:
>> , leaky water pump seal (Hylomar sorted that out)
>
> How did you fix a seal with Hylomar? Trying to recall how they failed.

I remember now - it wasn't the seal on the shaft, it was the O-ring on
the bent bit of pipe that goes into the pump. That was slightly leaky,
and Hylomar sorted it out.

Re: CX500

<k25nhiFfagpU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14004&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14004

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 18:02:24 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 18:02 UTC

On 10/01/2023 10:26, Champ wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2023 13:49:10 GMT, jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine recently acquired a CX500 - he had one 40 years ago or so -
>> he sees it as a slow-burn project to work on when he retires. No urgency. But
>> he wrote this to me:
>>
>> "I think the first thing on my list is to get the engine out and fixed to make
>> sure it’s not beyond repair. Not sure whether to attempt that myself or get
>> someone to do for me (ie complete strip & rebuild). Do you know anyone you’d
>> recommend?"
>>
>> Now for some reason he may have got the impression that I have some knowledge
>> or expertise (which I don't, just an enthusiasm for nostalgia) - but can
>> anyone here offer me any suggestions that I can relay?
>
> I can provide some advice, if you like
>
> Tell him it's a foul abomination that age has not made anyone look on
> more kindly, and the best thing is for him to throw it in the canal
>
> HTH

I remember mine being very comfortable.

I also remember it being very heavy when I dropped it and a rocker cover
landed on my foot.

Re: CX500

<tpls38$ralj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14013&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14013

From: a...@b.c (Gyp)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.motorcycles.classic
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 08:30:32 +0000
 by: Gyp - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 08:30 UTC

On 10/01/2023 10:26, Champ wrote:

> Tell him it's a foul abomination that age has not made anyone look on
> more kindly, and the best thing is for him to throw it in the canal

As an occasional canal traveller [1] I'd disagree with the disposal
route, I do agree with the sentiment.

A mate bought one when it was a mere 8 years old and it was already well
past its sell by date.

I can't recall which version had the dodgy crank and which had the dodgy
cam chain, but I spend a few days in the summer of 1987 fixing the
engine by putting the good bits of 2 knackered engines [2] together to
make one running one.

I had the R65 motor apart in the garage at the same time and there was
no mistaking which bits came from which engine as some of the Honda
castings and materials were what i could best describe as
"disappointing". Away from the engine most of the fixings were rusting
badly too as was the drive shaft housing.

Considering what they were like at 8 years old, I really wouldn't want
to consider one that was 40 years old, and I continue to be astonished
at the asking prices I see for them online.

That said, they were very smooth and exceptionally comfortable, so as
long as the bike works and isn't falling apart, it could make pleasant
enough 2-wheeled transport.

This has caused me to grab a couple of photo albums off of the shelf to
see if I have any photos of the CX that I worked on and I can only find
one, with it off its wheels in the back of a Marina van, off to get
fixed. Noticeably, the album also has pictures of the R65 [3], my LC [3]
and my XS400 [3]. I seemed to do more spannering than riding even then.

[1] Not, on this occasion, a euphemism
[2] Can't recall if his had the knackered crank and he bought an engine
with knackered cam chain or vice versa
[3] In bits

--
Gyp

Re: CX500

<780f02e2-9280-48a1-bcab-9cc4f2019e47n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14046&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14046

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 15:07:35 -0800 (PST)
From: york...@gmail.com (Hog)
 by: Hog - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 23:07 UTC

On Sunday, 8 January 2023 at 19:49:10 UTC, Pipl wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2023 13:49:10 GMT, jeremy <jerem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >A friend of mine recently acquired a CX500 - he had one 40 years ago or so -
> >he sees it as a slow-burn project to work on when he retires. No urgency.. But
> >he wrote this to me:
> >
> >"I think the first thing on my list is to get the engine out and fixed to make
> >sure it’s not beyond repair. Not sure whether to attempt that myself or get
> >someone to do for me (ie complete strip & rebuild). Do you know anyone you’d
> >recommend?"
> >
> >Now for some reason he may have got the impression that I have some knowledge
> >or expertise (which I don't, just an enthusiasm for nostalgia) - but can
> >anyone here offer me any suggestions that I can relay?
> >
> >cheers & HNY
> The engine comes out quite easily with radiator as a unit, IIRC.
>
> Common faults I encountered (I paid far too much for a complete dog
> many years ago):
> * Rattly camchains
> * Leaky water pump mechanical seal.
>
> These are both at the back of the engine, so it has to come out to fix
> it. Camchain is IIRC a duplex chain and the guides may need changing -
> might as well if you do have to change the chain. Can't recall if the
> sprockets are replaceable. Note tha it it's *really* worn then it
> makes a sort of clonking noise rather like a big end.
>
> Ignition is also at the back of the engine.

I had a small fleet of them in our Courier business. Excellent bikes for the porpoise with twin brake discs. Engines out and open in 40 mins. Cam chains/Tensioner and water pump seals, hardening on cam lobes. Otherwise good. The lower cam chain sprocket is small and such a tight run it gave the chain a difficult life.