From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 16:36:15 -0000 (UTC)
<t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me>
<t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None>
<t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk>
<t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me>
<t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk>
<t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me>
<t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>
<t944ug$rq8$1@dont-email.me>
<iqENcbU1dbtiFA8O@perry.uk>
sha1:qxx4m1LaTD5Ezj8bEOPO553ob1s=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sat, 25 Jun 2022 16:36 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t944ug$rq8$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:50:56 on Fri, 24 Jun
> 2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> I, quite literally, can’t remember the last time I *had* to pay
>>> with cash.
>>> Which brings me to a related matter. At petrol stations where every pump is
>>> pay at pump significant numbers of folk, around half, still go to pay
>>> inside and most don’t come out with kiosk additional purchases. My, perhaps
>>> uncharitable, thought is this is a way of disposing of cash in hand
>>> earnings that don’t go through the books.
>>
>> I used to do it to get a VAT receipt which the pumps don't provide.
>
> Or even if they purport to provide, don't work half the time.
>
>> Also I suspect they don't deal with loyalty cards, eg Nectar.
>
> My Sainsbury's pumps don't do Nectar, and the Tesco pumps have only
> accepted key-fob (so scanned rather than swiped) loyalty cards since
> they were upgraded about 18 months ago.

My local Sainsbury’s pumps claim to be able to scan loyalty (just Nectar?)
cards, but since I don’t have one I’ve never had to test it. I visited a
different Sainsbury’s recently and it doesn’t have pay at pump, but the
pumps did have a large-ish locked panel where the screen and keypad would
be so I don’t know if they’re new and haven’t been enabled or old and need
to be replaced.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<mMAsVahqJAuiFAWr@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14047&group=uk.transport.london#14047

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 07:53:30 +0100
<t8so37$muq$1@dont-email.me> <t8sods$u5v$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<t8sqjl$47l$5@dont-email.me> <FE5kHIqEeqsiFADq@perry.uk>
<t8ub9t$me2$1@dont-email.me> <amCD$mxq6usiFADJ@perry.uk>
<t8va2l$e4b$1@dont-email.me> <t8vhhm$1sb0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<tiv6bhdba7arse98c144is7e6ed14rgiqs@None> <t900aj$e3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<ewEiajS1PAtiFAKt@perry.uk> <t9283c$703$1@dont-email.me>
<t92h4k$nad$1@gioia.aioe.org> <UztQKREQpWtiFAq6@perry.uk>
<t94395$m0h$2@dont-email.me> <t944nq$v8v$1@dont-email.me>
<t944ug$rq8$1@dont-email.me> <iqENcbU1dbtiFA8O@perry.uk>
<t97dhv$lp4$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 06:53 UTC

In message <t97dhv$lp4$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:36:15 on Sat, 25 Jun
2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> I used to do it to get a VAT receipt which the pumps don't provide.
>>
>> Or even if they purport to provide, don't work half the time.
>>
>>> Also I suspect they don't deal with loyalty cards, eg Nectar.
>>
>> My Sainsbury's pumps don't do Nectar, and the Tesco pumps have only
>> accepted key-fob (so scanned rather than swiped) loyalty cards since
>> they were upgraded about 18 months ago.
>
>My local Sainsbury’s pumps claim to be able to scan loyalty (just Nectar?)
>cards, but since I don’t have one I’ve never had to test it. I visited a
>different Sainsbury’s recently and it doesn’t have pay at pump, but the
>pumps did have a large-ish locked panel where the screen and keypad would
>be so I don’t know if they’re new and haven’t been enabled or old and need
>to be replaced.

And it's this kind of randomness of behaviour/facilities, which makes a
lot of people just give up on pay-at-pump altogether, and plan to head
for the kiosk instead.

Supermarkets of course have the added randomness of how efficiently they
age-check for alcohol purchases. Sainsbury's are particularly slow, with
the staff usually in small huddles in the middle distance discussing the
weather or something. If only there was a red flashing light over till -
Oh Wait! And they get all huffy if you wave your arms around to attract
their attention.
--
Roland Perry