Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: night driving and car headlights

SubjectAuthor
* night driving and car headlightsYosemite Sam
+* night driving and car headlightsTrevor Wilson
|`- night driving and car headlightsNoddy
+* night driving and car headlightslindsay
|+* night driving and car headlightsDaryl
||+* night driving and car headlightsYosemite Sam
|||`* night driving and car headlightsPeter Jason
||| `- night driving and car headlightsYosemite Sam
||`- night driving and car headlightsNoddy
|+* night driving and car headlightsYosemite Sam
||`* night driving and car headlightslindsay
|| `- night driving and car headlightsNoddy
|`* night driving and car headlightsNoddy
| `* night driving and car headlightsXeno
|  `* night driving and car headlightslindsay
|   `- night driving and car headlightsalvey
`* night driving and car headlightsJohn_H
 `* night driving and car headlightsTrevor Wilson
  +- night driving and car headlightsNoddy
  `* night driving and car headlightsDaryl
   `* night driving and car headlightsTrevor Wilson
    +* night driving and car headlightsDaryl
    |`* night driving and car headlightsTrevor Wilson
    | `* night driving and car headlightsDaryl
    |  `* night driving and car headlightsNoddy
    |   +* night driving and car headlightsXeno
    |   |`- night driving and car headlightsYosemite Sam
    |   `* night driving and car headlightsDaryl
    |    `- night driving and car headlightsNoddy
    `* night driving and car headlightsJohn_H
     +* night driving and car headlightsDaryl
     |`* night driving and car headlightsJohn_H
     | `- night driving and car headlightsDaryl
     `* night driving and car headlightsNoddy
      `* night driving and car headlightsDaryl
       `- night driving and car headlightsXeno

Pages:12
Re: night driving and car headlights

<jcopkoFfu2sU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14048&group=aus.cars#14048

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: night driving and car headlights
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:36:54 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 23:36 UTC

On 26/4/2022 7:29 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 25/04/2022 10:25 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 25/4/2022 7:21 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
>>> **LOL! Very funny. Educated drivers. ROTFLMAO!
>>>
>>> Nice one Daz. Best laugh I've had all week.
>>

>> Glad to have made your day:-)
>> Unlikely that driver behavior was changed due to a small number of
>> fines being issued (I only know one person who was fined for incorrect
>> fog lamp use) so its logical to assume that there is other reasons for
>> the change.
>> Possibly changes to car design?
>> There was a small driver ed campaign re fog lamp use in Vic.
>> DRL's are more common now so maybe drivers no longer feel the need for
>> fog lamps in the daytime?
>> Combination of all of the above?
>
> Funny you mention that. Remember in the 1980's when DRL's on Volvo's
> were seen as the height of wankerism, and now just about every car built
> in the last 5 years has them and everyone seems to think they're a good
> idea?
>
> How times change... :)

Yes, usenet in the 90s was filled with intelligent people from the
sciences and academia, now it's riddled with frauds, fakers and bullshit
artists like you and academic discussion long gone. Even the propaganda
squads from the CCP and Russia don't consider usenet worth their while.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: night driving and car headlights

<c9ce6h563n8uvr157bajhg2is5qapi9did@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14049&group=aus.cars#14049

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:41:53 +1000
 by: John_H - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 23:41 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote:
>On 25/04/2022 3:46 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> **Actually, those morons who insist on using their fog lamps, when
>>> it's not foggy, piss me off.
>>

>> Know what you mean but it doesn't seem to be as big a problem as what it
>> used to be.
>>

>**Prolly because the cops are doing their job and issuing fines.

Hopefully they only fine the idiots who run fog lamps together with
headlamps (which also renders them useless in fog)!

The real problem lies with ADRs. State laws applying to aftermarket
fitted fog lamps don't allow them to be switched on together with
headlamps which should also apply to ADRs but doesn't.

I have no issues whatsoever with fog lamps used as daytime running
lights in the absence of fog provided they're correctly adjusted and
have tungsten filaments. It's legal in both SA and WA according to
their laws but not in other states if the laws is strictly applied.

So much for nationally uniform traffic laws!

--
John H

Re: night driving and car headlights

<jcos9qFgd86U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14050&group=aus.cars#14050

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:22:16 +1000
 by: Daryl - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 00:22 UTC

On 26/4/2022 9:41 am, John_H wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Know what you mean but it doesn't seem to be as big a problem as what it
>>> used to be.
>>>

>> **Prolly because the cops are doing their job and issuing fines.
>
> Hopefully they only fine the idiots who run fog lamps together with
> headlamps (which also renders them useless in fog)!
>
> The real problem lies with ADRs. State laws applying to aftermarket
> fitted fog lamps don't allow them to be switched on together with
> headlamps which should also apply to ADRs but doesn't.
>
> I have no issues whatsoever with fog lamps used as daytime running
> lights in the absence of fog provided they're correctly adjusted and
> have tungsten filaments.

Agree if correctly adjusted and have the correct globes fitted, trouble
is some clowns think its awesome to fit higher wattage globes and use
them as headlamps/driving lamps and don't give a damn if they blind
oncoming drivers.
Fortunately such clowns seem to be fewer and farther between of late.

It's legal in both SA and WA according to
> their laws but not in other states if the laws is strictly applied.
>
> So much for nationally uniform traffic laws!

DRL's and fog lamps on the WRX were in the same lamp, DRL's always on in
the daytime if the headlamps weren't on and fog lamps only on if the
driver switched them on.
I never liked the idea that I was unable to turn off the WRX DRL's.
I suspect that because the WRX has DRL's drivers no longer feel the need
to turn on fog lamps which could also be the case with many cars/drivers.
Golf DRL's are part of the high beam globe.

--
Daryl

Re: night driving and car headlights

<jcosdaFgd86U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14051&group=aus.cars#14051

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:24:10 +1000
 by: Daryl - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 00:24 UTC

On 26/4/2022 7:29 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 25/04/2022 10:25 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 25/4/2022 7:21 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
>>> **LOL! Very funny. Educated drivers. ROTFLMAO!
>>>
>>> Nice one Daz. Best laugh I've had all week.
>>

>> Glad to have made your day:-)
>> Unlikely that driver behavior was changed due to a small number of
>> fines being issued (I only know one person who was fined for incorrect
>> fog lamp use) so its logical to assume that there is other reasons for
>> the change.
>> Possibly changes to car design?
>> There was a small driver ed campaign re fog lamp use in Vic.
>> DRL's are more common now so maybe drivers no longer feel the need for
>> fog lamps in the daytime?
>> Combination of all of the above?
>
> Funny you mention that. Remember in the 1980's when DRL's on Volvo's
> were seen as the height of wankerism, and now just about every car built
> in the last 5 years has them and everyone seems to think they're a good
> idea?
>
> How times change... :)

LOL, too true.
I don't mind DRL's but what I don't like on the 2 cars we have had that
had them is that they can't be turned off.

--
Daryl

Re: night driving and car headlights

<t47eam$ftf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14052&group=aus.cars#14052

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:28:04 +1000
 by: Noddy - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 00:28 UTC

On 26/04/2022 9:41 am, John_H wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 25/04/2022 3:46 pm, Daryl wrote:
>>> On 25/4/2022 3:11 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Know what you mean but it doesn't seem to be as big a problem as what it
>>> used to be.
>>>

>> **Prolly because the cops are doing their job and issuing fines.
>
> Hopefully they only fine the idiots who run fog lamps together with
> headlamps (which also renders them useless in fog)!

Depends on how you define "fog lamps".

Most seem to do jack shit in fog, and the ones on the front of my Navara
are a perfect example. They're factory fitted as part of the trim spec
level of the car, and they're like many others found on lots of
different vehicles. Little 3 inch round lamps that take H11 bulbs that
live in the lower corners of the bumper.

They do absolutely *nothing* in fog, and in fact do less than the
headlights. They're not a dedicated "fog lamp" in my opinion, but rather
an "accessory" lamp designed to do little other than look good in the
opinions of some.

> The real problem lies with ADRs. State laws applying to aftermarket
> fitted fog lamps don't allow them to be switched on together with
> headlamps which should also apply to ADRs but doesn't.

The rules do seem to vary from state to state.

> I have no issues whatsoever with fog lamps used as daytime running
> lights in the absence of fog provided they're correctly adjusted and
> have tungsten filaments. It's legal in both SA and WA according to
> their laws but not in other states if the laws is strictly applied.
>
> So much for nationally uniform traffic laws!

Heh :)

Good luck with ever seeing nation wide uniformity. I've been waiting to
see a national standard for modified vehicles for years, and while
things are slowly progressing in that direction I'll die before it ever
officially happens.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: night driving and car headlights

<t47evd$jia$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14053&group=aus.cars#14053

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:39:07 +1000
 by: Noddy - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 00:39 UTC

On 26/04/2022 10:24 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 26/4/2022 7:29 am, Noddy wrote:

>> Funny you mention that. Remember in the 1980's when DRL's on Volvo's
>> were seen as the height of wankerism, and now just about every car
>> built in the last 5 years has them and everyone seems to think they're
>> a good idea?
>>
>> How times change... :)
>>

> LOL, too true.
> I don't mind DRL's but what I don't like on the 2 cars we have had that
> had them is that they can't be turned off.

Lots of stuff you can't turn off these days. In the Santa Fe for example
you can turn off traction control and active lane guidance, but you
can't turn off autonomous braking. Seems that some manufacturers are not
happy for you to be in complete control, which is bullshit in my
opinion. Your car, and you should be able to enable or disable whatever
"aids" you like.

I don't have an issue with DRL's being permanently on, and I think
they're a good idea these days. Especially in situations with some car
colours that can be hard to see in certain conditions. But the ones I
find annoying are those that don't cancel on one side when an indicator
is turned on.

A lot of cars now have the front indicator and DRL right next to each
other or even share the same light, and when the indicator is turned on
the DRL on that side turns off so the indicator isn't washed out by the
DRL and you can see the indicator clearly. But they don't all do it, and
in the case of those that don't it can be particularly hard to see the
indicators in operation.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: night driving and car headlights

<jcp2bgFhdsvU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14055&group=aus.cars#14055

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:05:38 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 02:05 UTC

On 26/04/2022 9:36 am, Xeno wrote:
> On 26/4/2022 7:29 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> Glad to have made your day:-)
>>> Unlikely that driver behavior was changed due to a small number of
>>> fines being issued (I only know one person who was fined for
>>> incorrect fog lamp use) so its logical to assume that there is other
>>> reasons for the change.
>>> Possibly changes to car design?
>>> There was a small driver ed campaign re fog lamp use in Vic.
>>> DRL's are more common now so maybe drivers no longer feel the need
>>> for fog lamps in the daytime?
>>> Combination of all of the above?
>>
>> Funny you mention that. Remember in the 1980's when DRL's on Volvo's
>> were seen as the height of wankerism, and now just about every car
>> built in the last 5 years has them and everyone seems to think
>> they're a good idea?
>>
>> How times change... :)
>>

> Yes, usenet in the 90s was filled with intelligent people from the
> sciences and academia, now it's riddled with frauds, fakers and
> bullshit artists like you and academic discussion long gone. Even the
> propaganda squads from the CCP and Russia don't consider usenet worth
> their while.

driving lights were supposed to make a car more noticeable/visable from
others, but now that all cars are getting them, and they're becoming the
norm, the purpose is defeated.

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

Re: night driving and car headlights

<jcp4p1Fhrq3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14056&group=aus.cars#14056

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:46:55 +1000
 by: Daryl - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 02:46 UTC

On 26/4/2022 10:28 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 26/04/2022 9:41 am, John_H wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> **Prolly because the cops are doing their job and issuing fines.
>>
>> Hopefully they only fine the idiots who run fog lamps together with
>> headlamps (which also renders them useless in fog)!
>
> Depends on how you define "fog lamps".
>
> Most seem to do jack shit in fog, and the ones on the front of my Navara
> are a perfect example. They're factory fitted as part of the trim spec
> level of the car, and they're like many others found on lots of
> different vehicles. Little 3 inch round lamps that take H11 bulbs that
> live in the lower corners of the bumper.
>
> They do absolutely *nothing* in fog, and in fact do less than the
> headlights. They're not a dedicated "fog lamp" in my opinion, but rather
> an "accessory" lamp designed to do little other than look good in the
> opinions of some.

I've had a few cars with both factory and aftermarket fog lamps and
never found any of them to do all that much, supposedly they light up
the road under the fog.
Best that I have used are aftermarket rectangular Narva yellow fog lamps
but even they make a marginal difference.
Maybe the intention isn't not so much as to help your vision in fog but
to allow other drivers to better see you?

--
Daryl

Re: night driving and car headlights

<jcp88vFif4aU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14057&group=aus.cars#14057

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 13:46:37 +1000
 by: Xeno - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 03:46 UTC

On 26/4/2022 12:46 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 26/4/2022 10:28 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> Hopefully they only fine the idiots who run fog lamps together with
>>> headlamps (which also renders them useless in fog)!
>>
>> Depends on how you define "fog lamps".
>>
>> Most seem to do jack shit in fog, and the ones on the front of my
>> Navara are a perfect example. They're factory fitted as part of the
>> trim spec level of the car, and they're like many others found on lots
>> of different vehicles. Little 3 inch round lamps that take H11 bulbs
>> that live in the lower corners of the bumper.
>>
>> They do absolutely *nothing* in fog, and in fact do less than the
>> headlights. They're not a dedicated "fog lamp" in my opinion, but
>> rather an "accessory" lamp designed to do little other than look good
>> in the opinions of some.
>>

> I've had a few cars with both factory and aftermarket fog lamps and
> never found any of them to do all that much, supposedly they light up
> the road under the fog.
> Best that I have used are aftermarket rectangular Narva yellow fog lamps
> but even they make a marginal difference.
> Maybe the intention isn't not so much as to help your vision in fog but
> to allow other drivers to better see you?

Their mount point gives the clue as to their intended purpose. They are
low mounted, lower than headlights are legally able to be mounted. Their
intention is to light up the road, since fog is the thinnest close to
the road surface, instead of having them them glaring (reflecting) off
the fog so that you can still see the road. To this end, fog lights are
*different* from your normal driving lights and high beams in that they
are designed to project a horizontal band of light across the road in
front of your vehicle. They have a special shield inside the lamp
assembly that prevents the beam from projecting upwards. In the absence
of fog lights, low beam headlights are a viable alternative noting that
you will still get some glare back from the use of these.

Can't see the road a reasonable distance ahead, pull over well off the
road and stop. Nothing worse than a conga line concertina.

Oh, and a $110 fine in NSW for using fog lamps when there is no need for
them.

https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/sl-2014-0758#pt.13-div.1

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: night driving and car headlights

<uite6hlfvph9mssfab3hqrsokqm4492b10@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14058&group=aus.cars#14058

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:12:55 +1000
 by: John_H - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 05:12 UTC

Daryl wrote:
>On 26/4/2022 9:41 am, John_H wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> **Prolly because the cops are doing their job and issuing fines.
>>
>> Hopefully they only fine the idiots who run fog lamps together with
>> headlamps (which also renders them useless in fog)!
>>
>> The real problem lies with ADRs. State laws applying to aftermarket
>> fitted fog lamps don't allow them to be switched on together with
>> headlamps which should also apply to ADRs but doesn't.
>>
>> I have no issues whatsoever with fog lamps used as daytime running
>> lights in the absence of fog provided they're correctly adjusted and
>> have tungsten filaments.
>
>Agree if correctly adjusted and have the correct globes fitted, trouble
>is some clowns think its awesome to fit higher wattage globes and use
>them as headlamps/driving lamps and don't give a damn if they blind
>oncoming drivers.

I suspect a lot of factory fitted fog lamps really aren't suitable as
such, particularly the LED ones which are too glary to be much use in
fog as well as reflecting off wet roads and blinding oncoming drivers.

>Fortunately such clowns seem to be fewer and farther between of late.

Maybe fuel has got too expensive on top of their car repayments! :)

> It's legal in both SA and WA according to
>> their laws but not in other states if the laws is strictly applied.
>>
>> So much for nationally uniform traffic laws!
>>

>DRL's and fog lamps on the WRX were in the same lamp, DRL's always on in
>the daytime if the headlamps weren't on and fog lamps only on if the
>driver switched them on.
>I never liked the idea that I was unable to turn off the WRX DRL's.

Did they switch off when the headlamps were on?
(I'm not up with the latest ADRs but I think they're supposed to
either switch off or dim down.)

>I suspect that because the WRX has DRL's drivers no longer feel the need
>to turn on fog lamps which could also be the case with many cars/drivers.
>Golf DRL's are part of the high beam globe.

My '08 Outback doesn't have dedicated DRLs but it does have proper fog
lamps which I frequently use as DRLs on highway and have never been
stopped by cops, I suspect because most of them can't tell the
difference. I've also thought about altering the wiring so they can't
be turned on with the headlamps which would probably qualify them as
DRLs if it even came down to an argument but never got around to doing
it.

What I do find a PITA are some of the LED DRLs frequently seen on
modern cars which are way too bright even in daylight. Not sure if
they're a factory fitment or an aftermarket modification aimed at
idiots.

--
John H

Re: night driving and car headlights

<jcpe3kFjh46U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14059&group=aus.cars#14059

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:26:10 +1000
 by: Daryl - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 05:26 UTC

On 26/4/2022 3:12 pm, John_H wrote:
> Daryl wrote:

>>> Hopefully they only fine the idiots who run fog lamps together with
>>> headlamps (which also renders them useless in fog)!
>>>
>>> The real problem lies with ADRs. State laws applying to aftermarket
>>> fitted fog lamps don't allow them to be switched on together with
>>> headlamps which should also apply to ADRs but doesn't.
>>>
>>> I have no issues whatsoever with fog lamps used as daytime running
>>> lights in the absence of fog provided they're correctly adjusted and
>>> have tungsten filaments.
>>
>> Agree if correctly adjusted and have the correct globes fitted, trouble
>> is some clowns think its awesome to fit higher wattage globes and use
>> them as headlamps/driving lamps and don't give a damn if they blind
>> oncoming drivers.
>
> I suspect a lot of factory fitted fog lamps really aren't suitable as
> such, particularly the LED ones which are too glary to be much use in
> fog as well as reflecting off wet roads and blinding oncoming drivers.
>
>> Fortunately such clowns seem to be fewer and farther between of late.
>
> Maybe fuel has got too expensive on top of their car repayments! :)

LOL, very possible.

>> It's legal in both SA and WA according to
>>> their laws but not in other states if the laws is strictly applied.
>>>
>>> So much for nationally uniform traffic laws!
>>>

>> DRL's and fog lamps on the WRX were in the same lamp, DRL's always on in
>> the daytime if the headlamps weren't on and fog lamps only on if the
>> driver switched them on.
>> I never liked the idea that I was unable to turn off the WRX DRL's.
>
> Did they switch off when the headlamps were on?

Yes.

> (I'm not up with the latest ADRs but I think they're supposed to
> either switch off or dim down.)
>
>> I suspect that because the WRX has DRL's drivers no longer feel the need
>> to turn on fog lamps which could also be the case with many cars/drivers.
>> Golf DRL's are part of the high beam globe.
>
> My '08 Outback doesn't have dedicated DRLs but it does have proper fog
> lamps which I frequently use as DRLs on highway and have never been
> stopped by cops, I suspect because most of them can't tell the
> difference. I've also thought about altering the wiring so they can't
> be turned on with the headlamps which would probably qualify them as
> DRLs if it even came down to an argument but never got around to doing
> it.
>
> What I do find a PITA are some of the LED DRLs frequently seen on
> modern cars which are way too bright even in daylight. Not sure if
> they're a factory fitment or an aftermarket modification aimed at
> idiots.

Never noticed a problem with stock DRLs, more likely that the ones that
are too bright have been fitted with aftermarket brighter globes.
Reminds me of a discussion I had with a female friend, I asked her why
her rear fog lamp on her Honda City was always on, she replied that she
didn't even know that her car had a rear fog lamp, when I pointed out
the warning light on the the dash she said "I always wondered what that
meant", same friend argued that her rhf headlamp was working when it
wasn't, park lamp in the same housing was working so as far as she was
concerned all was good, she couldn't tell the difference between a 5w
park lamp and a headlamp:-)

--
Daryl