Women are just like men, only different.

aus+uk / aus.aviation / Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

SubjectAuthor
* Want to "Fly" a 737keithr0
+* Re: Want to "Fly" a 737Sylvia Else
|`* Re: Want to "Fly" a 737keithr0
| +- Re: Want to "Fly" a 737Daryl
| +* Re: Want to "Fly" a 737Sylvia Else
| |`* Re: Want to "Fly" a 737keithr0
| | `* Re: Want to "Fly" a 737Sylvia Else
| |  `- Re: Want to "Fly" a 737keithr0
| `* Re: Want to "Fly" a 737David Lesher
|  `* Re: Want to "Fly" a 737keithr0
|   `- Re: Want to "Fly" a 737David Lesher
`* Re: Want to "Fly" a 737Daryl
 `- Re: Want to "Fly" a 737keithr0

1
Want to "Fly" a 737

<knpm4mF3mc6U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1407&group=aus.aviation#1407

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Subject: Want to "Fly" a 737
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 14:22:46 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 04:22 UTC

Queensland air museum at Caloudra on the Sunshine coast now has a
737-800 simulator.

https://www.qldair.museum/bookings#SIM737

Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

<knpn6gF44p4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1408&group=aus.aviation#1408

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Subject: Re: Want to "Fly" a 737
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 14:40:48 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 04:40 UTC

On 30-Sept-23 2:22 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> Queensland air museum at Caloudra on the Sunshine coast now has a
> 737-800 simulator.
>
> https://www.qldair.museum/bookings#SIM737

Not a motion simulator. Bummer.

Sylvia.

Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

<knpq8mF4k9qU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1409&group=aus.aviation#1409

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 15:33:10 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 05:33 UTC

On 30/9/2023 2:22 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> Queensland air museum at Caloudra on the Sunshine coast now has a
> 737-800 simulator.
>
> https://www.qldair.museum/bookings#SIM737

I think that that is going to be rather busy:-)

--
Daryl

Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

<knpvccF51baU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1410&group=aus.aviation#1410

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:00:28 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 07:00 UTC

On 30/09/2023 3:33 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 30/9/2023 2:22 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> Queensland air museum at Caloudra on the Sunshine coast now has a
>> 737-800 simulator.
>>
>> https://www.qldair.museum/bookings#SIM737
>

> I think that that is going to be rather busy:-)

Even in the first few weeks we have had quite a few people through.
Currently we are limited by only having one guide, but there are a
couple more ex-pilots who will come onstream soon and I expect it to be
working at least 6 days a week.

Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

<knpvpjF51baU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1411&group=aus.aviation#1411

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:07:31 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 07:07 UTC

On 30/09/2023 2:40 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 30-Sept-23 2:22 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> Queensland air museum at Caloudra on the Sunshine coast now has a
>> 737-800 simulator.
>>
>> https://www.qldair.museum/bookings#SIM737
>
> Not a motion simulator. Bummer.
>
> Sylvia.

Nope, that would be impractical for an organisation like ours, too big
and too much maintenance. It is a professional setup though running
professional software on two powerful computers (I9 CPU 32 gig RAM), the
cockpit is a complete representation of the real thing, and the 220
degree screen is quite immersive. A Bonza 737 pilot had a flight in it
and declared it a good representation of the real thing. I was standing
behind it when the pilot put it into a relatively steep bank, I had to
hold on to something to avoid falling over.

Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

<knq7v7F6obpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1412&group=aus.aviation#1412

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 19:27:03 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:27 UTC

On 30/9/2023 5:07 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 30/09/2023 2:40 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> On 30-Sept-23 2:22 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>> Queensland air museum at Caloudra on the Sunshine coast now has a
>>> 737-800 simulator.
>>>
>>> https://www.qldair.museum/bookings#SIM737
>>
>> Not a motion simulator. Bummer.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> Nope, that would be impractical for an organisation like ours, too big
> and too much maintenance. It is a professional setup though running
> professional software on two powerful computers (I9 CPU 32 gig RAM), the
> cockpit is a complete representation of the real thing, and the 220
> degree screen is quite immersive. A Bonza 737 pilot had a flight in it
> and declared it a good representation of the real thing. I was standing
> behind it when the pilot put it into a relatively steep bank, I had to
> hold on to something to avoid falling over.

Sounds pretty cool.

--
Daryl

Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

<knqgtvF83k0U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1413&group=aus.aviation#1413

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 21:59:59 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 11:59 UTC

On 30-Sept-23 5:07 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 30/09/2023 2:40 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> On 30-Sept-23 2:22 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>> Queensland air museum at Caloudra on the Sunshine coast now has a
>>> 737-800 simulator.
>>>
>>> https://www.qldair.museum/bookings#SIM737
>>
>> Not a motion simulator. Bummer.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> Nope, that would be impractical for an organisation like ours, too big
> and too much maintenance. It is a professional setup though running
> professional software on two powerful computers (I9 CPU 32 gig RAM), the
> cockpit is a complete representation of the real thing, and the 220
> degree screen is quite immersive. A Bonza 737 pilot had a flight in it
> and declared it a good representation of the real thing. I was standing
> behind it when the pilot put it into a relatively steep bank, I had to
> hold on to something to avoid falling over.

Sorry, I didn't realise you were involved, or I'd have expressed myself
a bit more diplomatically, or indeed just kept my thoughts to myself.

Sylvia.

Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

<knruvsFf8bpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1414&group=aus.aviation#1414

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 11:06:05 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 01:06 UTC

On 30/09/2023 9:59 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 30-Sept-23 5:07 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> Not a motion simulator. Bummer.
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>
>> Nope, that would be impractical for an organisation like ours, too big
>> and too much maintenance. It is a professional setup though running
>> professional software on two powerful computers (I9 CPU 32 gig RAM),
>> the cockpit is a complete representation of the real thing, and the
>> 220 degree screen is quite immersive. A Bonza 737 pilot had a flight
>> in it and declared it a good representation of the real thing. I was
>> standing behind it when the pilot put it into a relatively steep bank,
>> I had to hold on to something to avoid falling over.
>
> Sorry, I didn't realise you were involved, or I'd have expressed myself
> a bit more diplomatically, or indeed just kept my thoughts to myself.
>
> Sylvia.

That's not a problem, as I said, full motion simulators are the province
of professional organisations, they are complex and expensive to
maintain, we could not make such a thing financially viable. Also the
target demographic is the general public, and that is not a target
audience for a full motion simulator, they break too easily in unskilled
hands.

Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

<knrvu3Ff5hdU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1415&group=aus.aviation#1415

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:22:11 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 01:22 UTC

On 01-Oct-23 12:06 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 30/09/2023 9:59 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> Nope, that would be impractical for an organisation like ours, too
>>> big and too much maintenance. It is a professional setup though
>>> running professional software on two powerful computers (I9 CPU 32
>>> gig RAM), the cockpit is a complete representation of the real thing,
>>> and the 220 degree screen is quite immersive. A Bonza 737 pilot had a
>>> flight in it and declared it a good representation of the real thing.
>>> I was standing behind it when the pilot put it into a relatively
>>> steep bank, I had to hold on to something to avoid falling over.
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't realise you were involved, or I'd have expressed
>> myself a bit more diplomatically, or indeed just kept my thoughts to
>> myself.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> That's not a problem, as I said, full motion simulators are the province
> of professional organisations, they are complex and expensive to
> maintain, we could not make such a thing financially viable. Also the
> target demographic is the general public, and that is not a target
> audience for a full motion simulator, they break too easily in unskilled
> hands.

I'd rather assumed that a full motion simulator could take whatever was
thrown at it, at least as far as the motion specific part was concerned.

I can see that they'd be expensive to maintain though.

Sylvia.

Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

<knsn75Fit1oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1416&group=aus.aviation#1416

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 17:59:34 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 07:59 UTC

On 1/10/2023 11:22 am, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 01-Oct-23 12:06 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> Sorry, I didn't realise you were involved, or I'd have expressed
>>> myself a bit more diplomatically, or indeed just kept my thoughts to
>>> myself.
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>
>> That's not a problem, as I said, full motion simulators are the
>> province of professional organisations, they are complex and expensive
>> to maintain, we could not make such a thing financially viable. Also
>> the target demographic is the general public, and that is not a target
>> audience for a full motion simulator, they break too easily in
>> unskilled hands.
>
> I'd rather assumed that a full motion simulator could take whatever was
> thrown at it, at least as far as the motion specific part was concerned.

That's not what I've been told by people who have used them, there are
situations that they don't really like. Usually a full motion sim is
only used by by people with a reasonable degree of training.

> I can see that they'd be expensive to maintain though.
>
> Sylvia.

Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

<ugefvp$q35$2@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1420&group=aus.aviation#1420

From: wb8...@panix.com (David Lesher)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 16:35:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Lesher - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 16:35 UTC

Does it have MCAS so I too can crash it?

"Flying Blind" (ISBN 9780593082515) mentioned that most of the
{obviously warned ahead of time} Boeing pilots still crashed the
simulator.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast...............wb8foz@panix.com

Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

<kp3a1lFe4muU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1421&group=aus.aviation#1421

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 09:13:58 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 23:13 UTC

On 15/10/2023 2:35 am, David Lesher wrote:
> Does it have MCAS so I too can crash it?
>
> "Flying Blind" (ISBN 9780593082515) mentioned that most of the
> {obviously warned ahead of time} Boeing pilots still crashed the
> simulator.

It's a -800 not a Max.

Re: Want to "Fly" a 737

<ugn5el$ktl$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1422&group=aus.aviation#1422

From: wb8...@panix.com (David Lesher)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 23:30:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Lesher - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 23:30 UTC

keithr0 <user@account.invalid> writes:

>On 15/10/2023 2:35 am, David Lesher wrote:
>> Does it have MCAS so I too can crash it?
>>
>> "Flying Blind" (ISBN 9780593082515) mentioned that most of the
>> {obviously warned ahead of time} Boeing pilots still crashed the
>> simulator.
>>
>It's a -800 not a Max.

Thanks. I'd assumed so but...

--