From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Allelys accident
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 15:30:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 15:30 UTC

On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:17:41 +0200
Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:
>On 20.06.23 18:06, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> Bet this won't appear in the next series of Train Truckers! Looks like they
>> were moving an LU loco and someone forgot to apply the parking brake.
>>
>> Bit disappointing to see the truck cab is made of nasty glassfibre but I
>> suppose thats the way the world is going now.
>
>Generally the fibreglass is cosmetic/aerodynamic, with the actual
>structure that provides the strength/crash safety being something else
>(eg steel) underneath.

No doubt. I was thinking more of repair costs when the inevitable bump occurs.
That truck is going to need a lot of expensive replacement panels whereas if
it was metal it could be just bashed out, filled and resprayed.

Re: Allelys accident

<u6vkhc$30b35$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14102&group=uk.transport.london#14102

From: bevanpri...@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 20:54:19 +0100
 by: Bevan Price - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 19:54 UTC

On 21/06/2023 16:30, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:17:41 +0200
> Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:
>> On 20.06.23 18:06, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>>> Bet this won't appear in the next series of Train Truckers! Looks like they
>>> were moving an LU loco and someone forgot to apply the parking brake.
>>>
>>> Bit disappointing to see the truck cab is made of nasty glassfibre but I
>>> suppose thats the way the world is going now.
>>
>> Generally the fibreglass is cosmetic/aerodynamic, with the actual
>> structure that provides the strength/crash safety being something else
>> (eg steel) underneath.
>
> No doubt. I was thinking more of repair costs when the inevitable bump occurs.
> That truck is going to need a lot of expensive replacement panels whereas if
> it was metal it could be just bashed out, filled and resprayed.

Not necessarily. Provided it is not load-bearing, panels can easily be
replaced in a couple of hours - plus the time needed to obtain glass
fibre and resin if you don't have have them in stock.

Soak glass fibre with resin, bend to shape and allow resin to harden.

Re: Allelys accident

<u71rdl$3blp8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14104&group=uk.transport.london#14104

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 16:04:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 16:04 UTC

On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 20:54:19 +0100
Bevan Price <bevanprice666@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 21/06/2023 16:30, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:17:41 +0200
>> Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:

>>> Generally the fibreglass is cosmetic/aerodynamic, with the actual
>>> structure that provides the strength/crash safety being something else
>>> (eg steel) underneath.
>>
>> No doubt. I was thinking more of repair costs when the inevitable bump
>occurs.
>> That truck is going to need a lot of expensive replacement panels whereas if
>> it was metal it could be just bashed out, filled and resprayed.
>>

>Not necessarily. Provided it is not load-bearing, panels can easily be
>replaced in a couple of hours - plus the time needed to obtain glass
>fibre and resin if you don't have have them in stock.
>
>Soak glass fibre with resin, bend to shape and allow resin to harden.

I doubt too many haulage companies have those sorts of skills. They will
however have some hammers.

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: Allelys accident