Look into my eyes and try to forget that you have a Macy's charge card!

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

SubjectAuthor
* On the subject of brands to avoid......Noddy
+* On the subject of brands to avoid......Peter Jason
|`- On the subject of brands to avoid......Clocky
+- On the subject of brands to avoid......Clocky
`* On the subject of brands to avoid......John_H
 +* On the subject of brands to avoid......Daryl
 |`* On the subject of brands to avoid......Noddy
 | `* On the subject of brands to avoid......Daryl
 |  `* On the subject of brands to avoid......Noddy
 |   `* On the subject of brands to avoid......Daryl
 |    `- On the subject of brands to avoid......Noddy
 `* On the subject of brands to avoid......Noddy
  `- On the subject of brands to avoid......Clocky

1
On the subject of brands to avoid......

<t4e5th$20t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14097&group=aus.cars#14097

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: On the subject of brands to avoid......
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:47:28 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 13:47 UTC

> https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/toyota-faces-penalties-following-dpf-class-action-in-federal-court

This has been a known problem for years, and *still* Toyota fights
against it tooth and nail.

It doesn't matter what brand you buy. They'll all try to roger you when
things turn to shit

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

<m31m6h1gtb154od88u760nfi1eaob93t3m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14104&group=aus.cars#14104

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 07:19:06 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Thu, 28 Apr 2022 21:19 UTC

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:47:28 +1000, Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:

>> https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/toyota-faces-penalties-following-dpf-class-action-in-federal-court
>
>This has been a known problem for years, and *still* Toyota fights
>against it tooth and nail.
>
>It doesn't matter what brand you buy. They'll all try to roger you when
>things turn to shit

Well, I have a Toyota and I don't give a Rat's Rear what comes out of
the exhaust.
It's all GREEN politics!

Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

<t4fd2o$spm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14112&group=aus.cars#14112

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 08:55:44 +0800
 by: Clocky - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 00:55 UTC

On 29/04/2022 5:19 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 23:47:28 +1000, Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:
>

>>> https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/toyota-faces-penalties-following-dpf-class-action-in-federal-court
>>
>> This has been a known problem for years, and *still* Toyota fights
>> against it tooth and nail.
>>
>> It doesn't matter what brand you buy. They'll all try to roger you when
>> things turn to shit
>
> Well, I have a Toyota and I don't give a Rat's Rear what comes out of
> the exhaust.
> It's all GREEN politics!

Either you don't have kids or grandkids otherwise you should be very
concerned about what comes out of the exhaust pipe and particularly
concerning diesels. You can fix your ignorance through education so I
suggest you try it sometime (assuming you're not too stupid to learn).

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

<t4fddf$uu3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14113&group=aus.cars#14113

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:01:27 +0800
 by: Clocky - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 01:01 UTC

On 28/04/2022 9:47 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/toyota-faces-penalties-following-dpf-class-action-in-federal-court
>>

> This has been a known problem for years, and *still* Toyota fights
> against it tooth and nail.

I'd suggest you try to read for comprehension rather than pushing your
agenda.

> It doesn't matter what brand you buy. They'll all try to roger you when
> things turn to shit

That's a far cry from trying to deny warranty on transmissions with
40,000km on the clock.

The brand you're an apologist for with one of the worst reputations in
the business for *decades* did.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

<dpqm6h9dveu3aav63vv6bvojfhc5smo1gk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14126&group=aus.cars#14126

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:00:41 +1000
 by: John_H - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 05:00 UTC

Noddy wrote:

>> https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/toyota-faces-penalties-following-dpf-class-action-in-federal-court

Mate of my son's, who's a Toyota mechanic, had a somewhat different
take on it. According to him when used solely on short runs they put
up a fault code well before the PDF clogged but many owners simply
kept on driving. Dunno what they were supposed to do when the code
came up but according to him cars subjected to longer runs never had a
problem.

For mine, anyone who consistently uses a diesel for short running
hasn't got a clue.

>This has been a known problem for years, and *still* Toyota fights
>against it tooth and nail.
>
>It doesn't matter what brand you buy. They'll all try to roger you when
>things turn to shit

Be interesting to see if it does affect their reputation as a lot of
folk I come across continue to buy them and are even prepared pay a
premium for the privilege. There's also a lot of happy VW owners
around the place in spite of its previous problems with the ACCC.

--
John H

Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

<jd1db4F5b04U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14128&group=aus.cars#14128

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 16:02:10 +1000
 by: Daryl - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 06:02 UTC

On 29/4/2022 3:00 pm, John_H wrote:
> Noddy wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/toyota-faces-penalties-following-dpf-class-action-in-federal-court
>
> Mate of my son's, who's a Toyota mechanic, had a somewhat different
> take on it. According to him when used solely on short runs they put
> up a fault code well before the PDF clogged but many owners simply
> kept on driving. Dunno what they were supposed to do when the code
> came up but according to him cars subjected to longer runs never had a
> problem.

I was talking to the owner of a 2.8lt TD Hilux last Monday and he hasn't
had any issues with his.

> For mine, anyone who consistently uses a diesel for short running
> hasn't got a clue.

Agree and that's partly why I sold my Hilux, it wasn't getting used much
so not much point keeping it, driving down the shops and back didn't
even get it up to operating temp.
I've been thinking about replacing my 2002 MB with a later model and
there are plenty 2.2lt TD models for sale but since I do less than
10,000km PA I don't think diesel is a good idea.

--
Daryl

Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

<t4g10h$ll1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14131&group=aus.cars#14131

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 16:35:58 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 06:35 UTC

On 29/04/2022 3:00 pm, John_H wrote:
> Noddy wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/toyota-faces-penalties-following-dpf-class-action-in-federal-court
>
> Mate of my son's, who's a Toyota mechanic, had a somewhat different
> take on it. According to him when used solely on short runs they put
> up a fault code well before the PDF clogged but many owners simply
> kept on driving. Dunno what they were supposed to do when the code
> came up but according to him cars subjected to longer runs never had a
> problem.

Guy over the road has had similar dramas with his 200 series. It's not
one of the affected vehicles apparently, but the symptoms are identical.
It keeps throwing codes, he takes it back to Toyota, they keep telling
him it has dirty injectors and that he needs to have them cleaned, and
it starts all over again in a couple of month's time.

> For mine, anyone who consistently uses a diesel for short running
> hasn't got a clue.

I'm inclined to agree, but if you want a dual cab ute what do you do?

>> This has been a known problem for years, and *still* Toyota fights
>> against it tooth and nail.
>>
>> It doesn't matter what brand you buy. They'll all try to roger you when
>> things turn to shit
>
> Be interesting to see if it does affect their reputation as a lot of
> folk I come across continue to buy them and are even prepared pay a
> premium for the privilege. There's also a lot of happy VW owners
> around the place in spite of its previous problems with the ACCC.

I expect Toyota's position is such that it wouldn't matter what they did
they would remain largely unaffected, which only goes to say something
about the people who buy them.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

<t4g1q6$qd3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14132&group=aus.cars#14132

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 16:49:40 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 06:49 UTC

On 29/04/2022 4:02 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 29/4/2022 3:00 pm, John_H wrote:

>> For mine, anyone who consistently uses a diesel for short running
>> hasn't got a clue.
>
> Agree and that's partly why I sold my Hilux, it wasn't getting used much
> so not much point keeping it, driving down the shops and back didn't
> even get it up to operating temp.
> I've been thinking about replacing my 2002 MB with a later model and
> there are plenty 2.2lt TD models for sale but since I do less than
> 10,000km PA I don't think diesel is a good idea.

If they brought out a decent mid spec dual cab petrol powered ute I
would buy one tomorrow, but as far as I'm aware nobody does one. Toyota
does a povo pack version, but it only comes with the 2.7 litre 4 banger
that makes less power and less than half the torque of most of the
diesels and is only available in 2WD. The only other petrol option I
know of is the Jeep dual cab which seems to have a decent engine, but
I'm just not interested in the vehocle.

Choices are extremely limited for Ute buyers.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

<jd1jquF6hqdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14135&group=aus.cars#14135

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 17:52:59 +1000
 by: Daryl - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 07:52 UTC

On 29/4/2022 4:49 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 29/04/2022 4:02 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 29/4/2022 3:00 pm, John_H wrote:
>
>>> For mine, anyone who consistently uses a diesel for short running
>>> hasn't got a clue.
>>
>> Agree and that's partly why I sold my Hilux, it wasn't getting used
>> much so not much point keeping it, driving down the shops and back
>> didn't even get it up to operating temp.
>> I've been thinking about replacing my 2002 MB with a later model and
>> there are plenty 2.2lt TD models for sale but since I do less than
>> 10,000km PA I don't think diesel is a good idea.
>
> If they brought out a decent mid spec dual cab petrol powered ute I
> would buy one tomorrow, but as far as I'm aware nobody does one. Toyota
> does a povo pack version, but it only comes with the 2.7 litre 4 banger
> that makes less power and less than half the torque of most of the
> diesels and is only available in 2WD. The only other petrol option I
> know of is the Jeep dual cab which seems to have a decent engine, but
> I'm just not interested in the vehocle.
>
> Choices are extremely limited for Ute buyers.

Looks like Toyota dropped the 4.0lt V6 petrol in 2017 supposedly because
they didn't sell very many which I don't doubt.
Son recently bought 3 new Workmates, got auto's this time because his
employees were rough on clutches and gearboxes.
The old ones are about 4yrs old and done a bit over 100,000km, with a
good detail and service they are still worth what he paid for them new.

--
Daryl

Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

<t4g8q4$cke$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14137&group=aus.cars#14137

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:49:06 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 08:49 UTC

On 29/04/2022 5:52 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 29/4/2022 4:49 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Agree and that's partly why I sold my Hilux, it wasn't getting used
>>> much so not much point keeping it, driving down the shops and back
>>> didn't even get it up to operating temp.
>>> I've been thinking about replacing my 2002 MB with a later model and
>>> there are plenty 2.2lt TD models for sale but since I do less than
>>> 10,000km PA I don't think diesel is a good idea.
>>
>> If they brought out a decent mid spec dual cab petrol powered ute I
>> would buy one tomorrow, but as far as I'm aware nobody does one.
>> Toyota does a povo pack version, but it only comes with the 2.7 litre
>> 4 banger that makes less power and less than half the torque of most
>> of the diesels and is only available in 2WD. The only other petrol
>> option I know of is the Jeep dual cab which seems to have a decent
>> engine, but I'm just not interested in the vehocle.
>>
>> Choices are extremely limited for Ute buyers.
>>

> Looks like Toyota dropped the 4.0lt V6 petrol in 2017 supposedly because
> they didn't sell very many which I don't doubt.

The 2.7 Petrol is an okay engine in the little single cab trays, but in
a dual cab tow vehicle they're a waste of time. They're max rated at 2.8
tonne which would make one unsuitable for pulling the car trailer I use
with anything bigger than a Camry on it.

> Son recently bought 3 new Workmates, got auto's this time because his
> employees were rough on clutches and gearboxes.
> The old ones are about 4yrs old and done a bit over 100,000km, with a
> good detail and service they are still worth what he paid for them new.

It's a crazy used market out there at the moment, that's for sure.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

<jd21esF93qfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14146&group=aus.cars#14146

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 21:45:30 +1000
 by: Daryl - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 11:45 UTC

On 29/4/2022 6:49 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 29/04/2022 5:52 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> If they brought out a decent mid spec dual cab petrol powered ute I
>>> would buy one tomorrow, but as far as I'm aware nobody does one.
>>> Toyota does a povo pack version, but it only comes with the 2.7 litre
>>> 4 banger that makes less power and less than half the torque of most
>>> of the diesels and is only available in 2WD. The only other petrol
>>> option I know of is the Jeep dual cab which seems to have a decent
>>> engine, but I'm just not interested in the vehocle.
>>>
>>> Choices are extremely limited for Ute buyers.
>>>

>> Looks like Toyota dropped the 4.0lt V6 petrol in 2017 supposedly
>> because they didn't sell very many which I don't doubt.
>
> The 2.7 Petrol is an okay engine in the little single cab trays, but in
> a dual cab tow vehicle they're a waste of time. They're max rated at 2.8
> tonne which would make one unsuitable for pulling the car trailer I use
> with anything bigger than a Camry on it.

I used one of the sons 2.7 Workmates to pick up a couple of pallets of
solar panels, the load only just fitted on the tray and it was just on a
tonne, it was OK on a flat road but it really struggled up hill, back to
3rd going up the big hill on the Calder near Sunbury so no doubt it
would struggle pulling a heavy trailer.

--
Daryl

Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

<t4gksv$b0c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14147&group=aus.cars#14147

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 22:15:24 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:15 UTC

On 29/04/2022 9:45 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 29/4/2022 6:49 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> The 2.7 Petrol is an okay engine in the little single cab trays, but
>> in a dual cab tow vehicle they're a waste of time. They're max rated
>> at 2.8 tonne which would make one unsuitable for pulling the car
>> trailer I use with anything bigger than a Camry on it.
>
> I used one of the sons 2.7 Workmates to pick up a couple of pallets of
> solar panels, the load only just fitted on the tray and it was just on a
> tonne, it was OK on a flat road but it really struggled up hill, back to
> 3rd going up the big hill on the Calder near Sunbury so no doubt it
> would struggle pulling a heavy trailer.

I don't think they make them with that in mind, but it's a pain in the
arse that there are no petrol options other than that.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: On the subject of brands to avoid......

<t4gr4v$v9a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14148&group=aus.cars#14148

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 22:02:01 +0800
 by: Clocky - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:02 UTC

On 29/04/2022 2:35 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> Mate of my son's, who's a Toyota mechanic, had a somewhat different
>> take on it.  According to him when used solely on short runs they put
>> up a fault code well before the PDF clogged but many owners simply
>> kept on driving.  Dunno what they were supposed to do when the code
>> came up but according to him cars subjected to longer runs never had a
>> problem.
>
> Guy over the road has had similar dramas with his 200 series. It's not
> one of the affected vehicles apparently, but the symptoms are identical.
> It keeps throwing codes, he takes it back to Toyota, they keep telling
> him it has dirty injectors and that he needs to have them cleaned, and
> it starts all over again in a couple of month's time.
>
>> For mine, anyone who consistently uses a diesel for short running
>> hasn't got a clue.
>
> I'm inclined to agree, but if you want a dual cab ute what do you do?
>
>>> This has been a known problem for years, and *still* Toyota fights
>>> against it tooth and nail.
>>>
>>> It doesn't matter what brand you buy. They'll all try to roger you when
>>> things turn to shit
>>
>> Be interesting to see if it does affect their reputation as a lot of
>> folk I come across continue to buy them and are even prepared pay a
>> premium for the privilege.  There's also a lot of happy VW owners
>> around the place in spite of its previous problems with the ACCC.
>
> I expect Toyota's position is such that it wouldn't matter what they did
> they would remain largely unaffected, which only goes to say something
> about the people who buy them.

Looking at the reliability, service and customer support history of the
alternatives, smart people buy them.