From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: I don't think your technique is that good
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 16:14:42 +0100
 by: max.it - Sun, 2 May 2021 15:14 UTC

IAN CHAPPELL, former Australian captain, once told a great story about
SIR GARFIELD SOBERS and SIR GEOFFREY BOYCOTT:
They were playing in England and GEOFF BOYCOTT came to GARRY one day
and said, "GARRY, you seem to get me out LBW a lot. I don't understand
it." GARRY was quite good psychologically as well. He said to BOYCOTT,
"Unlike a lot of people, GEOFFREY, I don't think your technique is
that good." That would have cut BOYCOTT to the quick because he prided
himself on his technique. "Your front foot is too far across. You
can't get your bat around your pad and my inswinger gets you LBW.
That's what is happening."
They go out on the field next day. BOYCOTT is batting. SOBERS runs up,
bowls the first ball, angles it across, BOYCOTT edges, gets caught at
slip. As he is walking off, SOBEY says to him, "GEOFFREY, you didn't
ask me about the other one."

max.it

Re: I don't think your technique is that good

<if8604Fru92U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14138&group=uk.sport.cricket#14138

From: Brian_W_...@msn.com (Brian Lawrence)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: I don't think your technique is that good
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 18:31:49 +0100
 by: Brian Lawrence - Sun, 2 May 2021 17:31 UTC

On 02/05/2021 16:14, max.it wrote:

> IAN CHAPPELL, former Australian captain, once told a great story about
> SIR GARFIELD SOBERS and SIR GEOFFREY BOYCOTT:
> They were playing in England and GEOFF BOYCOTT came to GARRY one day
> and said, "GARRY, you seem to get me out LBW a lot. I don't understand
> it." GARRY was quite good psychologically as well. He said to BOYCOTT,
> "Unlike a lot of people, GEOFFREY, I don't think your technique is
> that good." That would have cut BOYCOTT to the quick because he prided
> himself on his technique. "Your front foot is too far across. You
> can't get your bat around your pad and my inswinger gets you LBW.
> That's what is happening."

> They go out on the field next day. BOYCOTT is batting. SOBERS runs up,
> bowls the first ball, angles it across, BOYCOTT edges, gets caught at
> slip. As he is walking off, SOBEY says to him, "GEOFFREY, you didn't
> ask me about the other one."

Most likely in the 3rd Test 1969 at Leeds, except that he was caught by
the 'keeper (Findlay). Boycs was out lbw to Sobers in Inns1, but AFAIK
that was only the 2nd lbw (in England).

Overall Sobers dismissed Boycott 7 times in Tests, 3 lbw, 1 bowled,
3 caught (1 by keeper, 2 by Kanhai (both in WI)).

They played in a handful of other f/c games in England, but a quick
check only showed another one or two wkts - eg Notts v Yorks.

Interesting stat in looking up Sobers in England. Between 1957 and 1974
he played at least one f/c match in England in every year except 1960.

Of course it could just as easily have been in a non-f/c match.

Re: I don't think your technique is that good

<if886qFsb9dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14139&group=uk.sport.cricket#14139

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 19:09:29 +0100
 by: David North - Sun, 2 May 2021 18:09 UTC

On 02/05/2021 18:31, Brian Lawrence wrote:
> On 02/05/2021 16:14, max.it wrote:
>
>> IAN CHAPPELL, former Australian captain, once told a great story about
>> SIR GARFIELD SOBERS and SIR GEOFFREY BOYCOTT:
>> They were playing in England and GEOFF BOYCOTT came to GARRY one day
>> and said, "GARRY, you seem to get me out LBW a lot. I don't understand
>> it." GARRY was quite good psychologically as well. He said to BOYCOTT,
>> "Unlike a lot of people, GEOFFREY, I don't think your technique is
>> that good." That would have cut BOYCOTT to the quick because he prided
>> himself on his technique. "Your front foot is too far across. You
>> can't get your bat around your pad and my inswinger gets you LBW.
>> That's what is happening."
>
>> They go out on the field next day. BOYCOTT is batting. SOBERS runs up,
>> bowls the first ball, angles it across, BOYCOTT edges, gets caught at
>> slip. As he is walking off, SOBEY says to him, "GEOFFREY, you didn't
>> ask me about the other one."
>
> Most likely in the 3rd Test 1969 at Leeds, except that he was caught by
> the 'keeper (Findlay).

.... and he was out 2nd ball.

> Boycs was out lbw to Sobers in Inns1, but AFAIK
> that was only the 2nd lbw (in England).
>
> Overall Sobers dismissed Boycott 7 times in Tests, 3 lbw, 1 bowled,
> 3 caught (1 by keeper, 2 by Kanhai (both in WI)).
>
> They played in a handful of other f/c games in England, but a quick
> check only showed another one or two wkts - eg Notts v Yorks.
>
> Interesting stat in looking up Sobers in England. Between 1957 and 1974
> he played at least one f/c match in England in every year except 1960.

He played a one-day match for a Commonwealth XI v Northumberland and
Durham in 1960.

--
David North