Yow! It's a hole all the way to downtown Burbank!

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: IPL aborted

SubjectAuthor
* IPL abortedJohn Hall
+* Re: IPL abortedMike Holmans
|`* Re: IPL abortedJohn Hall
| +- Re: IPL abortedjack fredricks
| `- Re: IPL abortedMike Holmans
`* Re: IPL abortedalvey
 `* Re: IPL abortedjack fredricks
  `* Re: IPL abortedJohn Hall
   `* Re: IPL abortedalvey
    `* Re: IPL abortedRH
     `* Re: IPL abortedMichael Gooding
      `* Re: IPL abortedalvey
       `* Re: IPL abortedmax.it
        `* Re: IPL abortedalvey
         `- Re: IPL abortedmax.it

1
IPL aborted

<qdfN9KDZzZkgFwu2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14156&group=uk.sport.cricket#14156

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: IPL aborted
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 20:13:29 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 4 May 2021 19:13 UTC

I see that enough IPL teams have now had Covid cases that they had no
alternative but to abandon the competition for now. Too much money is
involved for the organisers not to move heaven and earth to try to get
it completed later in the year, but one wonders just how it could be
fitted it. I wouldn't have put it past them to reschedule it to clash
with this summer's England v India Test series (which wouldn't make the
Indian board nearly as much money), but fortunately that coincides with
the Indian monsoon. Although, what if they rearranged it in the UAE?
Pretty much as soon as the monsoon is over, there's the T20 World Cup in
India (itself rescheduled from last year).

Perhaps the most likely time would be in December, but that would clash
with the early part of the Ashes series. Many of the English and
Australian cricketers might have to decide whether the big bucks of the
IPL matters more to them than playing in an Ashes series.
--
John Hall "Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always
pays off now." Anon

Re: IPL aborted

<1hb39glpipe3j9l4g5dgnhhmnioaau00kg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14160&group=uk.sport.cricket#14160

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: IPL aborted
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 21:28:00 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Tue, 4 May 2021 20:28 UTC

On Tue, 4 May 2021 20:13:29 +0100, John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk>
wrote:

>Pretty much as soon as the monsoon is over, there's the T20 World Cup in
>India (itself rescheduled from last year).

I'll bet it isn't in India.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: IPL aborted

<1w99lge8rs5wu.1jnsmqfgxf935$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14161&group=uk.sport.cricket#14161

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 06:53:23 +1000
 by: alvey - Tue, 4 May 2021 20:53 UTC

On Tue, 4 May 2021 20:13:29 +0100, John Hall wrote:

> I see that enough IPL teams have now had Covid cases that they had no
> alternative but to abandon the competition for now. Too much money is
> involved for the organisers not to move heaven and earth to try to get
> it completed later in the year, but one wonders just how it could be
> fitted it. I wouldn't have put it past them to reschedule it to clash
> with this summer's England v India Test series (which wouldn't make the
> Indian board nearly as much money), but fortunately that coincides with
> the Indian monsoon. Although, what if they rearranged it in the UAE?
> Pretty much as soon as the monsoon is over, there's the T20 World Cup in
> India (itself rescheduled from last year).

The T20 WC was originally scheduled to be held in Oz. In view of the Indian
Covid disaster, why it hasn't already been returned here is mystifying. Who
believes that India will be safe in 5 months?

alvey

Re: IPL aborted

<05f96ed0-1c04-466d-9a8c-ae3f5993b4b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14162&group=uk.sport.cricket#14162

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 14:08:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Tue, 4 May 2021 21:08 UTC

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 6:53:27 AM UTC+10, alvey wrote:
> The T20 WC was originally scheduled to be held in Oz. In view of the Indian
> Covid disaster, why it hasn't already been returned here is mystifying.

We all know the answer to that.

> Who
> believes that India will be safe in 5 months?

Safe "enough" for Indian-only crowds? Well, as they haven't peaked yet... not me. But I'd not put money on it.

Re: IPL aborted

<$THo+AE6UmkgFw8n@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14171&group=uk.sport.cricket#14171

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 10:28:26 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 5 May 2021 09:28 UTC

In message <05f96ed0-1c04-466d-9a8c-ae3f5993b4b1n@googlegroups.com>,
jack fredricks <jzfredricks@gmail.com> writes
>On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 6:53:27 AM UTC+10, alvey wrote:
>> The T20 WC was originally scheduled to be held in Oz. In view of the Indian
>> Covid disaster, why it hasn't already been returned here is mystifying.
>
>We all know the answer to that.
>
>> Who
>> believes that India will be safe in 5 months?
>
>Safe "enough" for Indian-only crowds? Well, as they haven't peaked
>yet... not me. But I'd not put money on it.

I imagine that the absence of crowds wouldn't bother the ICC too much;
it's the broadcast revenue that really matters.
--
John Hall "Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always
pays off now." Anon

Re: IPL aborted

<Nig0CRDlSmkgFw4x@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14172&group=uk.sport.cricket#14172

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 10:25:57 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 5 May 2021 09:25 UTC

In message <1hb39glpipe3j9l4g5dgnhhmnioaau00kg@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>On Tue, 4 May 2021 20:13:29 +0100, John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Pretty much as soon as the monsoon is over, there's the T20 World Cup in
>>India (itself rescheduled from last year).
>
>I'll bet it isn't in India.

I'm not sure there are enough grounds in the UAE for it to be feasible
to hold it there, given the number of matches involved. Australia and
New Zealand's stringent policies on people entering their countries
might make it hard to hold it there, and it's hard to see it being held
in SA, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, the WI or Pakistan.
--
John Hall "Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always
pays off now." Anon

Re: IPL aborted

<0949474f-dbe8-4d2a-afd8-95fa6d58ee92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14173&group=uk.sport.cricket#14173

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 03:27:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Wed, 5 May 2021 10:27 UTC

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 7:33:25 PM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> Australia and
> New Zealand's stringent policies on people entering their countries
> might make it hard to hold it there

We've had plenty of exemptions for celebrities etc. This would be a LOT of exemptions, though.

Yes, hard, but not impossible.

Re: IPL aborted

<h3t49gl070a1camp99q0kukqebnh3l9dqp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14174&group=uk.sport.cricket#14174

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 11:35:29 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Wed, 5 May 2021 10:35 UTC

On Wed, 5 May 2021 10:25:57 +0100, John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <1hb39glpipe3j9l4g5dgnhhmnioaau00kg@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
><spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>>On Tue, 4 May 2021 20:13:29 +0100, John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Pretty much as soon as the monsoon is over, there's the T20 World Cup in
>>>India (itself rescheduled from last year).
>>
>>I'll bet it isn't in India.
>
>I'm not sure there are enough grounds in the UAE for it to be feasible
>to hold it there, given the number of matches involved.

They managed to stage the IPL there last year, and that has more
matches than a world cup.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: IPL aborted

<19qnqdd6lfotv.2sc01n1typd0.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14176&group=uk.sport.cricket#14176

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 06:05:48 +1000
 by: alvey - Wed, 5 May 2021 20:05 UTC

On Wed, 5 May 2021 10:28:26 +0100, John Hall wrote:

> In message <05f96ed0-1c04-466d-9a8c-ae3f5993b4b1n@googlegroups.com>,
> jack fredricks <jzfredricks@gmail.com> writes
>>On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 6:53:27 AM UTC+10, alvey wrote:
>>> The T20 WC was originally scheduled to be held in Oz. In view of the Indian
>>> Covid disaster, why it hasn't already been returned here is mystifying.
>>
>>We all know the answer to that.
>>
>>> Who
>>> believes that India will be safe in 5 months?
>>
>>Safe "enough" for Indian-only crowds? Well, as they haven't peaked
>>yet... not me. But I'd not put money on it.
>
> I imagine that the absence of crowds wouldn't bother the ICC too much;
> it's the broadcast revenue that really matters.

Yes, but never underestimate crowd takings John. Not so much in India where
the BCCI is a tax-free organisation, but in the rest of the world crowd
takings are much easier to fiddle than a signed contract.

alvey

Re: IPL aborted

<9a8d0ab7-52a1-4fe8-a796-d7b31459962an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14177&group=uk.sport.cricket#14177

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 23:13:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Thu, 6 May 2021 06:13 UTC

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 9:05:49 PM UTC+1, alvey wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 2021 10:28:26 +0100, John Hall wrote:
>
> > In message <05f96ed0-1c04-466d...@googlegroups.com>,
> > jack fredricks <jzfre...@gmail.com> writes
> >>
> >>We all know the answer to that.

> >>Safe "enough" for Indian-only crowds? Well, as they haven't peaked
> >>yet... not me. But I'd not put money on it.
> >
> > I imagine that the absence of crowds wouldn't bother the ICC too much;
> > it's the broadcast revenue that really matters.
> Yes, but never underestimate crowd takings John. Not so much in India where
> the BCCI is a tax-free organisation, but in the rest of the world crowd
> takings are much easier to fiddle than a signed contract.
>

> alvey

Even in County Cricket the crowd takings can be large., A crowd of 5,000 at £20 a head is £100k. RH

Re: IPL aborted

<ca7e1175-bbc0-410b-8e05-34077b6630ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14178&group=uk.sport.cricket#14178

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 03:50:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelg...@yahoo.co.uk (Michael Gooding)
 by: Michael Gooding - Thu, 6 May 2021 10:50 UTC

If the Australian players are banned from returning home maybe we could quickly hold the Ashes series now?

Re: IPL aborted

<awrp461taye3.rb1mopweyqps$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14182&group=uk.sport.cricket#14182

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 06:21:16 +1000
 by: alvey - Thu, 6 May 2021 20:21 UTC

On Thu, 6 May 2021 03:50:23 -0700 (PDT), Michael Gooding wrote:

> If the Australian players are banned from returning home maybe we could
> quickly hold the Ashes series now?

The controversial legislation is being re-written as I type. It's being
amended to something like, "... entry to Australia is prohibited and a
civil offence for persons who have been in India anytime within the last
month. Also prohibited from entry are poms, from anywhere".

alvey

Re: IPL aborted

<hlm89gpor29h2poqo8196p2tirsm73a5b0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14183&group=uk.sport.cricket#14183

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 22:10:19 +0100
 by: max.it - Thu, 6 May 2021 21:10 UTC

On Fri, 7 May 2021 06:21:16 +1000, alvey <alvey@is.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 6 May 2021 03:50:23 -0700 (PDT), Michael Gooding wrote:
>
>> If the Australian players are banned from returning home maybe we could
>> quickly hold the Ashes series now?
>
>The controversial legislation is being re-written as I type. It's being
>amended to something like, "... entry to Australia is prohibited and a
>civil offence for persons who have been in India anytime within the last
>month. Also prohibited from entry are poms, from anywhere".
>

>alvey

We are the CA chosen few,
The rest of you are damned.
There's room enough in UAE for you,
we don't want Australia crammed.

max.it

Re: IPL aborted

<70utlyriisvs$.1tsvu0h842rgc.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14184&group=uk.sport.cricket#14184

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 07:54:34 +1000
References: <qdfN9KDZzZkgFwu2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <1w99lge8rs5wu.1jnsmqfgxf935$.dlg@40tude.net> <05f96ed0-1c04-466d-9a8c-ae3f5993b4b1n@googlegroups.com> <$THo+AE6UmkgFw8n@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <19qnqdd6lfotv.2sc01n1typd0.dlg@40tude.net> <9a8d0ab7-52a1-4fe8-a796-d7b31459962an@googlegroups.com> <ca7e1175-bbc0-410b-8e05-34077b6630ebn@googlegroups.com> <awrp461taye3.rb1mopweyqps$.dlg@40tude.net> <hlm89gpor29h2poqo8196p2tirsm73a5b0@4ax.com>
 by: alvey - Thu, 6 May 2021 21:54 UTC

On Thu, 06 May 2021 22:10:19 +0100, max.it wrote:

> On Fri, 7 May 2021 06:21:16 +1000, alvey <alvey@is.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 6 May 2021 03:50:23 -0700 (PDT), Michael Gooding wrote:
>>
>>> If the Australian players are banned from returning home maybe we could
>>> quickly hold the Ashes series now?
>>
>>The controversial legislation is being re-written as I type. It's being
>>amended to something like, "... entry to Australia is prohibited and a
>>civil offence for persons who have been in India anytime within the last
>>month. Also prohibited from entry are poms, from anywhere".
>>

>>alvey
>
> We are the CA chosen few,
> The rest of you are damned.
> There's room enough in UAE for you,
> we don't want Australia crammed.

Not too shabby that...

alvey

Re: IPL aborted

<pcs89g93i088dvj7fohg4pksc6j7dnan9n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14185&group=uk.sport.cricket#14185

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 23:46:21 +0100
References: <qdfN9KDZzZkgFwu2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <1w99lge8rs5wu.1jnsmqfgxf935$.dlg@40tude.net> <05f96ed0-1c04-466d-9a8c-ae3f5993b4b1n@googlegroups.com> <$THo+AE6UmkgFw8n@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <19qnqdd6lfotv.2sc01n1typd0.dlg@40tude.net> <9a8d0ab7-52a1-4fe8-a796-d7b31459962an@googlegroups.com> <ca7e1175-bbc0-410b-8e05-34077b6630ebn@googlegroups.com> <awrp461taye3.rb1mopweyqps$.dlg@40tude.net> <hlm89gpor29h2poqo8196p2tirsm73a5b0@4ax.com> <70utlyriisvs$.1tsvu0h842rgc.dlg@40tude.net>
 by: max.it - Thu, 6 May 2021 22:46 UTC

On Fri, 7 May 2021 07:54:34 +1000, alvey <alvey@is.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 06 May 2021 22:10:19 +0100, max.it wrote:

>>>The controversial legislation is being re-written as I type. It's being
>>>amended to something like, "... entry to Australia is prohibited and a
>>>civil offence for persons who have been in India anytime within the last
>>>month. Also prohibited from entry are poms, from anywhere".
>>>

>>>alvey
>>
>> We are the CA chosen few,
>> The rest of you are damned.
>> There's room enough in UAE for you,
>> we don't want Australia crammed.
>
>Not too shabby that...
>

>alvey

Raped from an old Brethren religious rhyme.

max.it