From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: 80kph ebike, coming to a pavement near you?
Date: 14 Sep 2022 08:51:03 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 08:51 UTC

Believe it or not, this US-built fast e-bike hits 45 mph and 80 miles of
range

The HPC Scout Pro electric bicycle, which can hit 45 mph (72 km/h), doesn’t
fit neatly into any of the standard electric bicycle classes.

Class 1 and 2 e-bikes can reach speeds of 20 mph (32 km/h) while Class 3
e-bikes reach 28 mph (45 km/h). I used to think Class 3 e-bikes were fast.
Now I think the system needs more classes.

To be fair, the Scout Pro from High Power Cycles (HPC) does have a limiting
feature to help it conform to a legal class for on-road riding.

But the question is how likely is it that riders will be able to resist
temptation and keep the self-imposed governor on?

HPC Scout Pro fast electric bicycle

The HPC Scout Pro gets its insane top speed thanks to the Bafang Ultra Max
mid-drive motor.

The Ultra Max is available in multiple power offerings up to 3 kW (4 hp),
which is already fairly nuts when you remember that we’re talking about a
bicycle here. This is not your typical $600 Amazon e-bike.

To reach the Scout Pro’s top speed of 45 mph (72 km/h) then you’ll need the
3 kW version. But reduced top speeds are also available with the 750 W,
1500 W, 2000 W and 2500 W versions.

Customers also get a range of battery options. The starter battery is a
mere 596 Wh, which is sufficient for around 28 miles (45 km). Or you could
bump all the way up to a 1,680 Wh battery to reach 80 miles (128 km) of
range. There are a few batteries in between as well, just in case you don’t
like the extremes.

The lightweight aluminum frame and power dense Bafang Ultra Max motor
contribute to the bike’s featherlight 49 lb (22.5 kg) weight, at least when
spec’d with the small battery option. That’s not bad for an e-bike that can
travel faster than some urban electric motorcycles.

Suspension is pretty important at such high speeds, and the Scout Pro has
you covered up front. The Cane Creek headset holds a factory-tuned 150 mm
travel DVO fork. There’s no rear suspension – it’s a hardtail. But the bike
does sport a couple 27.5×2.8-inch Maxxis Minion oversized tires which
should absorb some smaller pot holes. I’d avoid hitting anything at top
speed that you wouldn’t want to step in or trip over though.

Four-piston Magura hydraulic disc brakes and 180 mm (or optional 203 mm)
rotors provide stopping power for this high-speed e-bike.

Other high quality bicycle components include a SRAM GX 11 speed
transmission with derailleur clutch or an optional Rohloff 14-speed
internally geared hub with a massive 526% gear range.

HPC markets their bikes as largely USA-made. That’s sort of true. They
build their own frames and batteries, and both look well made. But the
motors, electronics and majority of the bike components are Chinese, while
the battery cells are likely Korean or Japanese. The bike does come with a
3-year warranty supported by a reputable American company though, so I
don’t think there’s too much to worry about on that end.

The Scout Pro is undoubtedly one of the fastest e-bikes that money can buy.
But it takes a lot of money to buy it. The bike starts at $6,995. If you
want more power, a larger battery, a nicer drivetrain, a fancier charger,
or any number of other upgrades – they’ll cost you dearly. Fully loaded
with every custom and luxury option, you’re up over $13k.

Gulp.

<https://electrek.co/2019/03/25/hpc-scout-pro-electric-bicycle-fast/>

--
Spike

Re: 80kph ebike, coming to a pavement near you?

<tfuoss$396n3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14255&group=uk.rec.cycling#14255

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: 80kph ebike, coming to a pavement near you?
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 20:48:28 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 08:48 UTC

On 14/09/22 20:51, Spike wrote:

> [...]
> internally geared hub with a massive 526% gear range.
>
> HPC markets their bikes as largely USA-made. That’s sort of true. They
> build their own frames and batteries, and both look well made. But the
> motors, electronics and majority of the bike components are Chinese, while
> the battery cells are likely Korean or Japanese. The bike does come with a
> 3-year warranty supported by a reputable American company though, so I
> don’t think there’s too much to worry about on that end.
>
> The Scout Pro is undoubtedly one of the fastest e-bikes that money can buy.
> But it takes a lot of money to buy it. The bike starts at $6,995. If you
> want more power, a larger battery, a nicer drivetrain, a fancier charger,
> or any number of other upgrades – they’ll cost you dearly. Fully loaded
> with every custom and luxury option, you’re up over $13k.

So it is a motorbike.

Re: 80kph ebike, coming to a pavement near you?

<joh5rlF6i2bU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14282&group=uk.rec.cycling#14282

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 15 Sep 2022 17:31:33 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:31 UTC

Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:
> [...]
>> internally geared hub with a massive 526% gear range.
>>
>> HPC markets their bikes as largely USA-made. That’s sort of true. They
>> build their own frames and batteries, and both look well made. But the
>> motors, electronics and majority of the bike components are Chinese, while
>> the battery cells are likely Korean or Japanese. The bike does come with a
>> 3-year warranty supported by a reputable American company though, so I
>> don’t think there’s too much to worry about on that end.
>>
>> The Scout Pro is undoubtedly one of the fastest e-bikes that money can buy.
>> But it takes a lot of money to buy it. The bike starts at $6,995. If you
>> want more power, a larger battery, a nicer drivetrain, a fancier charger,
>> or any number of other upgrades – they’ll cost you dearly. Fully loaded
>> with every custom and luxury option, you’re up over $13k.

Not according to a recent court case, where the killer cyclist on an
illegal ebike walked.

--
Spike

Re: 80kph ebike, coming to a pavement near you?

<tg1lqk$3o2f0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14315&group=uk.rec.cycling#14315

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 23:14:28 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 11:14 UTC

On 16/09/22 05:31, Spike wrote:
> [...]
>>> motors, electronics and majority of the bike components are Chinese, while
>>> the battery cells are likely Korean or Japanese. The bike does come with a
>>> 3-year warranty supported by a reputable American company though, so I
>>> don’t think there’s too much to worry about on that end.
>>>
>>> The Scout Pro is undoubtedly one of the fastest e-bikes that money can buy.
>>> But it takes a lot of money to buy it. The bike starts at $6,995. If you
>>> want more power, a larger battery, a nicer drivetrain, a fancier charger,
>>> or any number of other upgrades – they’ll cost you dearly. Fully loaded
>>> with every custom and luxury option, you’re up over $13k.
>>>
>>> Gulp.
>>>
>>> <https://electrek.co/2019/03/25/hpc-scout-pro-electric-bicycle-fast/>
>>>

>> So it is a motorbike.
>
> Not according to a recent court case, where the killer cyclist on an

Oh well. The law is an ass.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / 80kph ebike, coming to a pavement near you?