If you stand on your head, you will get footprints in your hair.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

SubjectAuthor
* Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone inDavid
+* Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone inWoody
|`- Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone inDavey
`* Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone innotya...@gmail.com
 `* Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - PlusnAnthonyL
  +* Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone ingrinch
  |+* Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone inWoody
  ||+- Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone inAbandoned Trolley
  ||`- Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - PlusnChris in Makati
  |`* Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - PlusnBrightsideS9
  | `* Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone ingrinch
  |  `- Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone innotya...@gmail.com
  `- Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone innotya...@gmail.com

1
Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<knao58F97g0U9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14226&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14226

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in
?Chinese? - Plusnet
Date: 24 Sep 2023 12:25:12 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 12:25 UTC

I have a Plusnet account (whole other area of cans of worms soon) for my
Android Tablet.
I don't make phone calls or publish the number but just use it for the
data.
I've had it for some time but can't remember when I first set it up.
Probably when I bought the tablet.
Which date/year I can't remember, and too idle to find out ATM.

I keep the speaker muted so alerts don't go "bong" in the middle of the
night.
Over the last few weeks I have been receiving calls from UK mobile numbers.
As far as I can tell each one is different.
A few (2-3?) times very recently an answer phone message has been left but
this is in a foreign language which sounds as if it might be Chinese.

I am totally baffled by the whole thing.
Why would I be getting cold calls in a foreign language?

I assume it isn't Plusnet warning me that my account should be switched to
EE because why the foreign language and different number.

I suppose that best guess is that someone has subscribed to something and
used my mobile number.
I did once, early days, get a message asking if I was still on this number
(aimed obviously at someone else who used to have this number).

Unless, of course, others are also getting random phone calls from UK
numbers in a foreign language.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<uervfo$1tr8r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14227&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14227

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
?Chinese? - Plusnet
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 13:46:45 +0100
 by: Woody - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 12:46 UTC

On Sun 24/09/2023 13:25, David wrote:
> I have a Plusnet account (whole other area of cans of worms soon) for my
> Android Tablet.
> I don't make phone calls or publish the number but just use it for the
> data.
> I've had it for some time but can't remember when I first set it up.
> Probably when I bought the tablet.
> Which date/year I can't remember, and too idle to find out ATM.
>
> I keep the speaker muted so alerts don't go "bong" in the middle of the
> night.
> Over the last few weeks I have been receiving calls from UK mobile numbers.
> As far as I can tell each one is different.
> A few (2-3?) times very recently an answer phone message has been left but
> this is in a foreign language which sounds as if it might be Chinese.
>
> I am totally baffled by the whole thing.
> Why would I be getting cold calls in a foreign language?
>
> I assume it isn't Plusnet warning me that my account should be switched to
> EE because why the foreign language and different number.
>
> I suppose that best guess is that someone has subscribed to something and
> used my mobile number.
> I did once, early days, get a message asking if I was still on this number
> (aimed obviously at someone else who used to have this number).
>
> Unless, of course, others are also getting random phone calls from UK
> numbers in a foreign language.

I don't know about Chinese but last night I got a mobile call (that I
rejected) from Bosnia-Herzegovina.
What next?

Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<uesamu$208e4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14229&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14229

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
?Chinese? - Plusnet
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 16:58:22 +0100
 by: Davey - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 15:58 UTC

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 13:46:45 +0100
Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Sun 24/09/2023 13:25, David wrote:
> > I have a Plusnet account (whole other area of cans of worms soon)
> > for my Android Tablet.
> > I don't make phone calls or publish the number but just use it for
> > the data.
> > I've had it for some time but can't remember when I first set it up.
> > Probably when I bought the tablet.
> > Which date/year I can't remember, and too idle to find out ATM.
> >
> > I keep the speaker muted so alerts don't go "bong" in the middle of
> > the night.
> > Over the last few weeks I have been receiving calls from UK mobile
> > numbers. As far as I can tell each one is different.
> > A few (2-3?) times very recently an answer phone message has been
> > left but this is in a foreign language which sounds as if it might
> > be Chinese.
> >
> > I am totally baffled by the whole thing.
> > Why would I be getting cold calls in a foreign language?
> >
> > I assume it isn't Plusnet warning me that my account should be
> > switched to EE because why the foreign language and different
> > number.
> >
> > I suppose that best guess is that someone has subscribed to
> > something and used my mobile number.
> > I did once, early days, get a message asking if I was still on this
> > number (aimed obviously at someone else who used to have this
> > number).
> >
> > Unless, of course, others are also getting random phone calls from
> > UK numbers in a foreign language.
> >

> I don't know about Chinese but last night I got a mobile call (that I
> rejected) from Bosnia-Herzegovina.
> What next?

Maybe The Moon, or that asteroid, annoyed that somebody snaffled a
chunk of it sent sent it back to Earth!

--
Davey.

Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<963df9e5-502e-4ace-90bb-b6a94f5868e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14230&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14230

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:15:11 -0700 (PDT)
?Chinese? - Plusnet
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 17:15 UTC

On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 13:25:16 UTC+1, David wrote:
> I have a Plusnet account (whole other area of cans of worms soon) for my
> Android Tablet.
> I don't make phone calls or publish the number but just use it for the
> data.
> I've had it for some time but can't remember when I first set it up.
> Probably when I bought the tablet.
> Which date/year I can't remember, and too idle to find out ATM.
>
> I keep the speaker muted so alerts don't go "bong" in the middle of the
> night.
> Over the last few weeks I have been receiving calls from UK mobile numbers.
> As far as I can tell each one is different.
> A few (2-3?) times very recently an answer phone message has been left but
> this is in a foreign language which sounds as if it might be Chinese.
>
> I am totally baffled by the whole thing.
> Why would I be getting cold calls in a foreign language?
>
> I assume it isn't Plusnet warning me that my account should be switched to
> EE because why the foreign language and different number.
>
> I suppose that best guess is that someone has subscribed to something and
> used my mobile number.
> I did once, early days, get a message asking if I was still on this number
> (aimed obviously at someone else who used to have this number).
>
> Unless, of course, others are also getting random phone calls from UK
> numbers in a foreign language.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R
>

> --
> AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

My tablet has a Three SIM in it. Virtually no-one knows its number, yet it still receives Spam calls from time to time. My main mobile and land lines regularly receive Spam and scam calls (two are in the phone book), and depending how bad they are they get wound up to grievously insulted.

One thing I have noticed recently is that if the caller is spoofing a UK number (including mobile) from abroad then the +44 prefix appears in front of it. My old BT POTS phones used to display "international" fir foreign calls.

On the Spam and scam calls you can often hear other scamsters in the background conversing in foreign, usually oriental languages.

Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<6511e0f4.856062437@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14231&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14231

From: nos...@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 19:38:40 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 19:38 UTC

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:15:11 -0700 (PDT), "notya...@gmail.com"
<notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>=20
>>=20
>> --=20
>> AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64
>
>My tablet has a Three SIM in it. Virtually no-one knows its number, yet it=
> still receives Spam calls from time to time. My main mobile and land line=
>s regularly receive Spam and scam calls (two are in the phone book), and de=
>pending how bad they are they get wound up to grievously insulted.
>
>One thing I have noticed recently is that if the caller is spoofing a UK nu=
>mber (including mobile) from abroad then the +44 prefix appears in front of=
> it. My old BT POTS phones used to display "international" fir foreign cal=
>ls.
>
>On the Spam and scam calls you can often hear other scamsters in the backgr=
>ound conversing in foreign, usually oriental languages.

I have a dual sim phone. My main number is on Giffgaff and has been
for a decade or so and I never get spam calls despite the number of
people and organisations that know it. I have a Three data sim and
that regularly gets spam calls. It may be as a result of using it for
WhatsApp (ie data) but I don't see why. I don't answer the calls as
no-one not in my phone book should be calling me.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<ueu45k$2dnvu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14232&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14232

From: gri...@somewhere.net (grinch)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
?Chinese? - Plusnet
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:19:00 +0100
 by: grinch - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:19 UTC

l=
>> ls.
>>
>> On the Spam and scam calls you can often hear other scamsters in the backgr=
>> ound conversing in foreign, usually oriental languages.
>
> I have a dual sim phone. My main number is on Giffgaff and has been
> for a decade or so and I never get spam calls despite the number of
> people and organisations that know it. I have a Three data sim and
> that regularly gets spam calls. It may be as a result of using it for
> WhatsApp (ie data) but I don't see why. I don't answer the calls as
> no-one not in my phone book should be calling me.

It cant have anything to do with the fact that Hutchinson telecom who
own 3 ( at the moment) are based in Hong Kong ??

https://www.hthkh.com/en/global/home.php

Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<ueu6lj$2e7h7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14233&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14233

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
?Chinese? - Plusnet
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:01:38 +0100
 by: Woody - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:01 UTC

On Tue 26/09/2023 09:19, grinch wrote:
> l=
>>> ls.
>>>
>>> On the Spam and scam calls you can often hear other scamsters in the
>>> backgr=
>>> ound conversing in foreign, usually oriental languages.
>>
>> I have a dual sim phone.  My main number is on Giffgaff and has been
>> for a decade or so and I never get spam calls despite the number of
>> people and organisations that know it.  I have a Three data sim and
>> that regularly gets spam calls.  It may be as a result of using it for
>> WhatsApp (ie data) but I don't see why.  I don't answer the calls as
>> no-one not in my phone book should be calling me.
>>

> It cant have anything to do with the fact that Hutchinson telecom who
> own 3 ( at the moment) are based in Hong Kong ??
>
> https://www.hthkh.com/en/global/home.php

For the record there is no N in the middle of Hutchison.

Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<ueu7aq$2ebkk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14234&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14234

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
?Chinese? - Plusnet
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:12:59 +0100
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:12 UTC

>> It cant have anything to do with the fact that Hutchinson telecom who
>> own 3 ( at the moment) are based in Hong Kong ??
>>
>> https://www.hthkh.com/en/global/home.php
>
> For the record there is no N in the middle of Hutchison.

They used to have a controlling interest in the docks at Felixstowe ?

Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<71bce6e7-23a2-436a-bf74-87bede16ede6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14236&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14236

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 05:14:10 -0700 (PDT)
?Chinese? - Plusnet
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:14 UTC

On Monday, 25 September 2023 at 20:38:42 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:15:11 -0700 (PDT), "notya...@gmail.com"
> <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> SNIP
> >
> >My tablet has a Three SIM in it. Virtually no-one knows its number, yet it=
> > still receives Spam calls from time to time. My main mobile and land line=
> >s regularly receive Spam and scam calls (two are in the phone book), and de> >pending how bad they are they get wound up to grievously insulted.
> >
> >One thing I have noticed recently is that if the caller is spoofing a UK nu=
> >mber (including mobile) from abroad then the +44 prefix appears in front of=
> > it. My old BT POTS phones used to display "international" fir foreign cal=
> >ls.
> >
> >On the Spam and scam calls you can often hear other scamsters in the backgr> >ound conversing in foreign, usually oriental languages.
> I have a dual sim phone. My main number is on Giffgaff and has been
> for a decade or so and I never get spam calls despite the number of
> people and organisations that know it. I have a Three data sim and
> that regularly gets spam calls. It may be as a result of using it for
> WhatsApp (ie data) but I don't see why. I don't answer the calls as
> no-one not in my phone book should be calling me.

Interesting observation. The Three SIM in my tablet is only used for very light WhatsApp. Ten neighbours, a handful of personal contacts and some very small groups. This is to prevent my address book leaking out into WhatsApp. The only genuine calls that come in are from an Indonesian friend, who calls on that due to the frightful cost of PSTN calls.

Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<53o5hidjl7h7li51rlqvdbveptg4glbrl0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14237&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14237

From: mai...@nospam.com (Chris in Makati)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 14:49:42 +0100
 by: Chris in Makati - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 13:49 UTC

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 10:01:38 +0100, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>On Tue 26/09/2023 09:19, grinch wrote:
>> l=

>>> I have a dual sim phone.  My main number is on Giffgaff and has been
>>> for a decade or so and I never get spam calls despite the number of
>>> people and organisations that know it.  I have a Three data sim and
>>> that regularly gets spam calls.  It may be as a result of using it for
>>> WhatsApp (ie data) but I don't see why.  I don't answer the calls as
>>> no-one not in my phone book should be calling me.
>>>

>> It cant have anything to do with the fact that Hutchinson telecom who
>> own 3 ( at the moment) are based in Hong Kong ??
>>
>> https://www.hthkh.com/en/global/home.php
>
>For the record there is no N in the middle of Hutchison.

Named after John D Hutchison, who started the business 160 years ago.
I used to work for one of the Hutchison group companies in Hong Kong
in the 1980s.

Chris

Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<edr7hihhhabr3bsr0sodek189keihqbmus@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14238&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14238

From: reply_to...@invalid.invalid (BrightsideS9)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:55:30 +0100
 by: BrightsideS9 - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 08:55 UTC

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:19:00 +0100, grinch <grinch@somewhere.net>
wrote:

>It cant have anything to do with the fact that Hutchinson telecom who
>own 3 ( at the moment) are based in Hong Kong ??
>
>https://www.hthkh.com/en/global/home.php

Hutchison not Hutchinson.

--
brightside S9

Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<uf11qj$31td1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14239&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14239

From: gri...@sommewhere.com (grinch)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
?Chinese? - Plusnet
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 11:57:23 +0100
 by: grinch - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 10:57 UTC

On 27/09/2023 09:55, BrightsideS9 wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:19:00 +0100, grinch <grinch@somewhere.net>
> wrote:
>

>> It cant have anything to do with the fact that Hutchinson telecom who
>> own 3 ( at the moment) are based in Hong Kong ??
>>
>> https://www.hthkh.com/en/global/home.php
>
> Hutchison not Hutchinson.

As someone else pointed out further up the tread had you bothered to
read it.
Thank you for your insightful contribution to the overall conversation
in the thread.

Re: Suddenly getting calls from UK mobile numbers - answerphone in ?Chinese? - Plusnet

<ba9040c3-a127-46fa-8780-3169f5dca50an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14241&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14241

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile