Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Broad on Ed Smith

SubjectAuthor
* Broad on Ed SmithRH
+- Re: Broad on Ed Smithmike
`- Re: Broad on Ed SmithDavid North

1
Broad on Ed Smith

<00e554c8-69b7-4cd3-9678-0207570e8098n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14279&group=uk.sport.cricket#14279

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 08:21:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Broad on Ed Smith
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Tue, 18 May 2021 15:21 UTC

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/stuart-broad-on-ed-smith-a-lot-of-people-have-bosses-who-don-t-rate-them-and-i-think-he-was-mine-1263351

"I pride myself on being available and ready. I'm bowling well, taking wickets for Notts and helping win games. I don't think many could argue against Jimmy and I being in the best bowling attack in England, but if you need to get experience and overs into bowlers that is what it is.

"It's when the communication disappears; that's when players can't see reasons or see through it."

That complaint about communication would appear to be directed firmly towards Smith. While Broad rates Smith's overall as "a success", he admits their own relationship was strained.
"You can say [Smith's period as National Selector] was a success in the sense that the team won games and a World Cup," Broad said. "And he brought some fine players through.

"But from my point of view we struggled a bit on the communication side and probably saw the game of cricket slightly differently. A lot of people have bosses who don't rate them as much as other people and I think he was mine. He probably didn't rate me as much as other players. That's fine but I kept trying to prove some selection decisions wrong.

"I really disagreed with getting left out in Barbados [at the start of 2019]. It's one of the best places to bowl as a tall fast bowler. And there are a few occasions where I have felt a bit disgruntled and didn't have the clarity of communication that I would have liked. That Test I missed at the Ageas Bowl is the only English Test I've missed in what, 10 years? And that was through selection.

Read more at https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/stuart-broad-on-ed-smith-a-lot-of-people-have-bosses-who-don-t-rate-them-and-i-think-he-was-mine-1263351

RH

Re: Broad on Ed Smith

<5522e534-75c3-4c17-a80c-23ad6a5e13a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14285&group=uk.sport.cricket#14285

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 15:15:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Broad on Ed Smith
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Tue, 18 May 2021 22:15 UTC

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 4:21:48 PM UTC+1, RH wrote:
> https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/stuart-broad-on-ed-smith-a-lot-of-people-have-bosses-who-don-t-rate-them-and-i-think-he-was-mine-1263351
>

> "I pride myself on being available and ready. I'm bowling well, taking wickets for Notts and helping win games. I don't think many could argue against Jimmy and I being in the best bowling attack in England, but if you need to get experience and overs into bowlers that is what it is.
>
> "It's when the communication disappears; that's when players can't see reasons or see through it."
>
> That complaint about communication would appear to be directed firmly towards Smith. While Broad rates Smith's overall as "a success", he admits their own relationship was strained.
> "You can say [Smith's period as National Selector] was a success in the sense that the team won games and a World Cup," Broad said. "And he brought some fine players through.
>
> "But from my point of view we struggled a bit on the communication side and probably saw the game of cricket slightly differently. A lot of people have bosses who don't rate them as much as other people and I think he was mine. He probably didn't rate me as much as other players. That's fine but I kept trying to prove some selection decisions wrong.
>
> "I really disagreed with getting left out in Barbados [at the start of 2019]. It's one of the best places to bowl as a tall fast bowler. And there are a few occasions where I have felt a bit disgruntled and didn't have the clarity of communication that I would have liked. That Test I missed at the Ageas Bowl is the only English Test I've missed in what, 10 years? And that was through selection.
>
> Read more at https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/stuart-broad-on-ed-smith-a-lot-of-people-have-bosses-who-don-t-rate-them-and-i-think-he-was-mine-1263351
>
> RH

i think dom bess would agree with broad. especially about ed smith.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56712917

mike

Re: Broad on Ed Smith

<igjs56FbrhgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14293&group=uk.sport.cricket#14293

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 08:13:41 +0100
 by: David North - Wed, 19 May 2021 07:13 UTC

On 18/05/2021 16:21, RH wrote:
> https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/stuart-broad-on-ed-smith-a-lot-of-people-have-bosses-who-don-t-rate-them-and-i-think-he-was-mine-1263351

> "That Test I missed at the Ageas Bowl is the only English Test I've missed in what, 10 years? And that was through selection."

Not quite that long. Both Broad and Anderson were rested for the 3rd
Test v WI in June 2012, when the series was already won. That was the
only other home Test that Broad missed since the Bangladesh series in 2010.

--
David North