Because we don't think about future generations, they will never forget us. -- Henrik Tikkanen

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: “We’re sorry – we got this one wrong”: British Cycling apologises

SubjectAuthor
* “We’re sorry – we got this one wrong”: Britiswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: “We’re sorry – we got this one wJNugent
+* Re: “We’re sorry – we got this one wrong”: Bswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: “We’re sorry –Spike
`- Re: “We’re sorry – we got this one wrong”: Bswldx...@gmail.com

1
“We’re sorry – we got this one wrong”: British Cycling apologises

<5e8a8fa6-2904-40e2-a477-5d841cad5009n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14261&group=uk.rec.cycling#14261

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 05:32:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: “We’re_sorry_–_we_got_this_one_wrong”:_Briti
sh_Cycling_apologises
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 12:32 UTC

British Cycling has released a statement this morning apologising for issuing controversial guidance which recommended that cyclists in the UK should avoid riding their bikes during Queen Elizabeth II’s state funeral and procession on Monday.

The original advice, issued earlier this week by the national governing body and published on its website, stated: “As a mark of respect to Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, British Cycling’s guidance is that no formal domestic activities should take place on the day of the State Funeral, Monday 19 September. This includes cycle sport events, club rides, coaching sessions and community programmes (such as Breeze rides).

“British Cycling strongly recommends that anybody out riding their bike on the day of the State Funeral does so outside of the timings of the funeral service and associated processions, which will be confirmed later this week.

Following an online backlash against the guidance – which one Twitter user described as “worthy of the Stasi” – British Cycling swiftly removed the section relating to individual riders, though the advice concerning club rides and other domestic events was retained.

This morning, the governing body relented further, publishing newly updated guidance (link is external) which advises clubs to “consider adjusting their route or ride timings so they do not clash with those of the funeral service and associated processions”, though British Cycling – critically – are now stressing that “they are under no obligation to do so”.

British Cycling has also apologised for the guidance published earlier this week, admitting that “we got it wrong”.

In a statement released this morning (link is external), British Cycling said that it “sincerely apologises for the guidance issued on Tuesday afternoon relating to cycling during the State Funeral.

“We understand that the decision on whether to cycle during that time is one for individuals and clubs to take for themselves, and we’re sorry that we got it wrong this occasion.

“At British Cycling we fought incredibly hard during the pandemic to protect the right to cycle, and we recognise the frustration and disappointment that Tuesday’s statement caused.

“We greatly value the support of our members and the wider cycling community and would like to thank and apologise to all who reached out to share their concerns with us on this occasion.”

The updated guidance, which is available on British Cycling’s website (link is external), now reads: “As a mark of respect to Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, British Cycling’s guidance is that no domestic events should take place on the day of the State Funeral, Monday 19 September.

“In line with guidance from the Royal Household, any Clubs planning rides on the day of the State Funeral may want to consider adjusting their route or ride timings so they do not clash with those of the funeral service and associated processions. However, they are under no obligation to do so.

“As the day of the State Funeral has been designated as a national bank holiday, in line with many other employers British Cycling will close for the day.”

https://road.cc/content/news/british-cycling-apologises-state-funeral-advice-295949

Re: “We’re sorry – we got this one wrong”: British Cycling apologises

<jogl8mF407kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14262&group=uk.rec.cycling#14262

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: “We’re sorry – we got this one w
rong”:_British_Cycling_apologises
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:48:22 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 12:48 UTC

> [...]
>
> The updated guidance, which is available on British Cycling’s website (link is external), now reads: “As a mark of respect to Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, British Cycling’s guidance is that no domestic events should take place on the day of the State Funeral, Monday 19 September.
>
> “In line with guidance from the Royal Household, any Clubs planning rides on the day of the State Funeral may want to consider adjusting their route or ride timings so they do not clash with those of the funeral service and associated processions. However, they are under no obligation to do so.
>
> “As the day of the State Funeral has been designated as a national bank holiday, in line with many other employers British Cycling will close for the day.”

Why on Earth won't the fairy-cyclists all be at *work* instead of
fairy-cycling about as though they were somehow of any importance? It's
a Monday, after all.

Oh yes... that's right... it's a Bank Holiday because of the Royal
funeral and not because of any fairy-cycling events which have hurriedly
been arranged to take the pi... er... advantage of the holiday

Re: “We’re sorry – we got this one wrong”: British Cycling apologises

<2c60c802-9f07-4689-a31a-b753ea216084n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14265&group=uk.rec.cycling#14265

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 06:06:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: “We’re sorry – we got this one wrong”: B
ritish Cycling apologises
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:06 UTC

The problem now, is that many of the anti-cycling brigade will have read headlines such as "cyclists told to stay home during royal funeral," and will think that it's some kind of rule. British Cylcling need to think before publishing things like this, which could lead to making life worse for cyclists, their members included.

Re: “We’re sorry – we got this one wrong”: B ritish Cycling apologises

<joh6gdF6kvvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14285&group=uk.rec.cycling#14285

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: “We’re sorry –
Date: 15 Sep 2022 17:42:37 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:42 UTC

> The problem now, is that many of the anti-cycling brigade will have read
> headlines such as "cyclists told to stay home during royal funeral," and
> will think that it's some kind of rule. British Cylcling need to think
> before publishing things like this, which could lead to making life worse
> for cyclists, their members included.
Actually, it was cyclists that made life worse for British Cycling (whoever
they are).

--
Spike

Re: “We’re sorry – we got this one wrong”: British Cycling apologises

<2b0510c6-d65a-4edd-8051-24ce886e5168n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14292&group=uk.rec.cycling#14292

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:47:28 -0700 (PDT)
ritish Cycling apologises
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:47 UTC

ride2smile wrote:

They, like many other organisations, could have just said nothing. Just let people decide for themselves.

That hits the nail on the head I think, it was totally outside their remit to start issuing guidance either way. If there was some official guidance and they were making people aware of it, great, but to decide for themselves what constitutes "appropriate cycling" on the day of the funeral and broadcast it was wrong. CyclingUK for us I think when our BC membership expires, we only really have it for the insurance and legal advice and they seem about the same for either.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: “We’re sorry – we got this one wrong”: British Cycling apologises