Edited for television.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device

SubjectAuthor
* Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi deviceDavey
+* Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi deviceTweed
|+* Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi deviceWoody
||`* Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi deviceDavey
|| `* Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi deviceChris
||  `- Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi deviceDavey
|+* Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device SOLVED !Davey
||`* Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device SOLVED !Tweed
|| `- Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device SOLVED !Davey
|`- Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device FINAL.Davey
+- Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi deviceQuick Man
`* Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi deviceDavid
 +- Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi deviceTweed
 `- Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi deviceDavey

1
Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device

<ugthga$vsuf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14296&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14296

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:32:58 +0100
 by: Davey - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:32 UTC

I have a Huawei Mi-Fi device, which connects happily to my laptop when
I am on the road. I also have a Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet, without a SIM.
I want to use the Mi-Fi with the tablet, but there is a total failure to
communicate between the two devices. I have a brand-new cable. There is
a connection, the charging light is on on the Mi-Fi, the Mi-Fi talks to
the internet, but the tablet does not recognise the Mi-Fi. I have tried
every setting I can find, but to no avail. The Manual is of no help, it
suggests Tethering, but that doesn't work.
There must be an answer. All the hundreds of Search results I find
refer to failure to connect to a local Wi-Fi network, but that is not
the problem here.
Any help gratefully received.

--
Davey.

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device

<ugthns$10a9v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14297&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14297

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:37:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:AHg+KeVPQCc8RWCmh3ymafg82AM=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:37 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> I have a Huawei Mi-Fi device, which connects happily to my laptop when
> I am on the road. I also have a Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet, without a SIM.
> I want to use the Mi-Fi with the tablet, but there is a total failure to
> communicate between the two devices. I have a brand-new cable. There is
> a connection, the charging light is on on the Mi-Fi, the Mi-Fi talks to
> the internet, but the tablet does not recognise the Mi-Fi. I have tried
> every setting I can find, but to no avail. The Manual is of no help, it
> suggests Tethering, but that doesn't work.
> There must be an answer. All the hundreds of Search results I find
> refer to failure to connect to a local Wi-Fi network, but that is not
> the problem here.
> Any help gratefully received.

If I understand you correctly you are trying to use a cable to communicate
with the Mifi? Why don’t you connect the tablet to the Mifi via WiFi?

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device

<ugtitl$10igo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14298&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14298

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:57:06 +0100
 by: Woody - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:57 UTC

On Fri 20/10/2023 10:37, Tweed wrote:
> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
>> I have a Huawei Mi-Fi device, which connects happily to my laptop when
>> I am on the road. I also have a Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet, without a SIM.
>> I want to use the Mi-Fi with the tablet, but there is a total failure to
>> communicate between the two devices. I have a brand-new cable. There is
>> a connection, the charging light is on on the Mi-Fi, the Mi-Fi talks to
>> the internet, but the tablet does not recognise the Mi-Fi. I have tried
>> every setting I can find, but to no avail. The Manual is of no help, it
>> suggests Tethering, but that doesn't work.
>> There must be an answer. All the hundreds of Search results I find
>> refer to failure to connect to a local Wi-Fi network, but that is not
>> the problem here.
>> Any help gratefully received.
>>

> If I understand you correctly you are trying to use a cable to communicate
> with the Mifi? Why don’t you connect the tablet to the Mifi via WiFi?

Agreed. Plus is the mi-fi doing 2.4GHz or 5GHz for wi-fi and if 5G can
your tablet use that band?

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device SOLVED !

<ugtj75$vsuf$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14299&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14299

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device SOLVED !
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:02:13 +0100
 by: Davey - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:02 UTC

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:37:00 -0000 (UTC)
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> > I have a Huawei Mi-Fi device, which connects happily to my laptop
> > when I am on the road. I also have a Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet,
> > without a SIM. I want to use the Mi-Fi with the tablet, but there
> > is a total failure to communicate between the two devices. I have a
> > brand-new cable. There is a connection, the charging light is on on
> > the Mi-Fi, the Mi-Fi talks to the internet, but the tablet does not
> > recognise the Mi-Fi. I have tried every setting I can find, but to
> > no avail. The Manual is of no help, it suggests Tethering, but that
> > doesn't work. There must be an answer. All the hundreds of Search
> > results I find refer to failure to connect to a local Wi-Fi
> > network, but that is not the problem here.
> > Any help gratefully received.
> >

> If I understand you correctly you are trying to use a cable to
> communicate with the Mifi? Why don’t you connect the tablet to the
> Mifi via WiFi?

I was focussed on thinking that the cable connection should work, and I
am not very familiar with all this wireless stuff, (I am of an age
where Wireless means the BBC etc), so I had not tried that approach.
And it works!
I still need the cable to keep the Huawei charged, but not to
communicate.
Thanks for showing how useful the internet can be.

Cheers,

--
Davey.

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device

<ugtjda$vsuf$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14300&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14300

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:05:30 +0100
 by: Davey - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:05 UTC

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:57:06 +0100
Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Fri 20/10/2023 10:37, Tweed wrote:
> > Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> >> I have a Huawei Mi-Fi device, which connects happily to my laptop
> >> when I am on the road. I also have a Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet,
> >> without a SIM. I want to use the Mi-Fi with the tablet, but there
> >> is a total failure to communicate between the two devices. I have
> >> a brand-new cable. There is a connection, the charging light is on
> >> on the Mi-Fi, the Mi-Fi talks to the internet, but the tablet does
> >> not recognise the Mi-Fi. I have tried every setting I can find,
> >> but to no avail. The Manual is of no help, it suggests Tethering,
> >> but that doesn't work. There must be an answer. All the hundreds
> >> of Search results I find refer to failure to connect to a local
> >> Wi-Fi network, but that is not the problem here.
> >> Any help gratefully received.
> >>

> > If I understand you correctly you are trying to use a cable to
> > communicate with the Mifi? Why don’t you connect the tablet to the
> > Mifi via WiFi?
>
> Agreed. Plus is the mi-fi doing 2.4GHz or 5GHz for wi-fi and if 5G
> can your tablet use that band?

See my earlier comment: "and I am not very familiar with all this
wireless stuff".
I could probably find out what GHz it is using, I doubt that the tablet
will do 5G. But I don't know.
It works now, that's the main thing!

--
Davey.

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device

<d38d1a2d-0b90-40a7-871e-a2a76af83f6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14301&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14301

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 03:10:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: vvvvvvvv...@hotmail.com (Quick Man)
 by: Quick Man - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:10 UTC

Look out --->⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀🍺🍺🍺🍺⠀⠀⠀⠀------->⠀⠀⠀⠀shorturl⠀⠀.⠀⠀at⠀⠀⠀/⠀⠀o s C P V⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀<------⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀🍺🍺🍺🍺⠀

On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 12:33:02 PM UTC+3, Davey wrote:
> I have a Huawei Mi-Fi device, which connects happily to my laptop when
> I am on the road. I also have a Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet, without a SIM.
> I want to use the Mi-Fi with the tablet, but there is a total failure to
> communicate between the two devices. I have a brand-new cable. There is
> a connection, the charging light is on on the Mi-Fi, the Mi-Fi talks to
> the internet, but the tablet does not recognise the Mi-Fi. I have tried
> every setting I can find, but to no avail. The Manual is of no help, it
> suggests Tethering, but that doesn't work.
> There must be an answer. All the hundreds of Search results I find
> refer to failure to connect to a local Wi-Fi network, but that is not
> the problem here.
> Any help gratefully received.
>
> --
> Davey.

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device SOLVED !

<ugtntv$11spv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14302&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14302

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:22:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vhAgwWPDM8hmhk6sTRGU3A1t9gU=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:22 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:37:00 -0000 (UTC)
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
>>> I have a Huawei Mi-Fi device, which connects happily to my laptop
>>> when I am on the road. I also have a Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet,
>>> without a SIM. I want to use the Mi-Fi with the tablet, but there
>>> is a total failure to communicate between the two devices. I have a
>>> brand-new cable. There is a connection, the charging light is on on
>>> the Mi-Fi, the Mi-Fi talks to the internet, but the tablet does not
>>> recognise the Mi-Fi. I have tried every setting I can find, but to
>>> no avail. The Manual is of no help, it suggests Tethering, but that
>>> doesn't work. There must be an answer. All the hundreds of Search
>>> results I find refer to failure to connect to a local Wi-Fi
>>> network, but that is not the problem here.
>>> Any help gratefully received.
>>>

>> If I understand you correctly you are trying to use a cable to
>> communicate with the Mifi? Why don’t you connect the tablet to the
>> Mifi via WiFi?
>>

> I was focussed on thinking that the cable connection should work, and I
> am not very familiar with all this wireless stuff, (I am of an age
> where Wireless means the BBC etc), so I had not tried that approach.
> And it works!
> I still need the cable to keep the Huawei charged, but not to
> communicate.
> Thanks for showing how useful the internet can be.
>
> Cheers,

It’s unlikely that the tablet has the necessary software drivers to use the
MiFi via the cable. The real purpose of a Mifi unit is to connect to the
cellular network and then make connections available via WiFi to other
devices you have. The fact that it worked via a cable connection to your
laptop is a bit of a bonus. As to charging, as well as using your tablet,
you can plug it into any charger with a USB outlet that you happen to have.
Another advantage of the WiFi link is that you can put the Mifi somewhere
where it gets a better cellular signal, such as by the window, or upstairs.

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device SOLVED !

<ugv1t1$1brkg$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14303&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14303

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 00:18:57 +0100
 by: Davey - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 23:18 UTC

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:22:39 -0000 (UTC)
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

> It’s unlikely that the tablet has the necessary software drivers to
> use the MiFi via the cable. The real purpose of a Mifi unit is to
> connect to the cellular network and then make connections available
> via WiFi to other devices you have. The fact that it worked via a
> cable connection to your laptop is a bit of a bonus. As to charging,
> as well as using your tablet, you can plug it into any charger with a
> USB outlet that you happen to have. Another advantage of the WiFi
> link is that you can put the Mifi somewhere where it gets a better
> cellular signal, such as by the window, or upstairs.

In fact, the cable connection to the laptop was the reason I bought the
Huawei in the first place. I don't have the details now, but that is how
it was described when I purchased it. And because it worked just fine
like that, I was expecting it to do the same with the tablet.

The comments about the ability to locate it remotely are useful,
thanks. Hotels now have USB charging sockets in the rooms, although I
spend a lot fewer nights in them than I used to when I worked.
I don't miss that life at all. Now hotel stays are just at my
discretion.

--
Davey.

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device

<uh1ggk$1vr28$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14304&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14304

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 21:40:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:iCxnpRovVN0dFQbfd/TzvbGsedU=
 by: Chris - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 21:40 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:57:06 +0100
> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> If I understand you correctly you are trying to use a cable to
>>> communicate with the Mifi? Why don’t you connect the tablet to the
>>> Mifi via WiFi?
>>
>> Agreed. Plus is the mi-fi doing 2.4GHz or 5GHz for wi-fi and if 5G
>> can your tablet use that band?
>
> See my earlier comment: "and I am not very familiar with all this
> wireless stuff".
> I could probably find out what GHz it is using, I doubt that the tablet
> will do 5G. But I don't know.
> It works now, that's the main thing!

Yeah the whole 5G vs 5GHz is very confusing. The former is only for mobile
networks (G = generation) and the latter is a wifi band. They are not all
related.

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device

<uh3rcu$2jeol$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14305&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14305

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:58:38 +0100
 by: Davey - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 18:58 UTC

Snipped.

> >> Agreed. Plus is the mi-fi doing 2.4GHz or 5GHz for wi-fi and if 5G
> >> can your tablet use that band?
> >
> > See my earlier comment: "and I am not very familiar with all this
> > wireless stuff".
> > I could probably find out what GHz it is using, I doubt that the
> > tablet will do 5G. But I don't know.
> > It works now, that's the main thing!
>
> Yeah the whole 5G vs 5GHz is very confusing. The former is only for
> mobile networks (G = generation) and the latter is a wifi band. They
> are not all related.

That much in did, in fact, already know, but not much else.

--
Davey.

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device FINAL.

<uh5gc7$323sv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14307&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14307

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device FINAL.
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:02:47 +0100
 by: Davey - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:02 UTC

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:37:00 -0000 (UTC)
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> > I have a Huawei Mi-Fi device, which connects happily to my laptop
> > when I am on the road. I also have a Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet,
> > without a SIM. I want to use the Mi-Fi with the tablet, but there
> > is a total failure to communicate between the two devices. I have a
> > brand-new cable. There is a connection, the charging light is on on
> > the Mi-Fi, the Mi-Fi talks to the internet, but the tablet does not
> > recognise the Mi-Fi. I have tried every setting I can find, but to
> > no avail. The Manual is of no help, it suggests Tethering, but that
> > doesn't work. There must be an answer. All the hundreds of Search
> > results I find refer to failure to connect to a local Wi-Fi
> > network, but that is not the problem here.
> > Any help gratefully received.
> >

> If I understand you correctly you are trying to use a cable to
> communicate with the Mifi? Why don’t you connect the tablet to the
> Mifi via WiFi?

Final results:

1. It worked perfectly.
2. There were also 30 minutes free hotel WiFi. This was not made
apparent when booking via the website.
3. In fact, there were several useful details about the hotel that were
not made obvious on the website, which could be found afterwards only
after some deep digging. A complaint will be lodged.

In all, a successful outcome. Thanks all for the help.

--
Davey.

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device

<kpvcevF8kb7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14348&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14348

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 26 Oct 2023 14:46:55 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:46 UTC

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:32:58 +0100, Davey wrote:

> I have a Huawei Mi-Fi device, which connects happily to my laptop when I
> am on the road. I also have a Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet, without a SIM.
> I want to use the Mi-Fi with the tablet, but there is a total failure to
> communicate between the two devices. I have a brand-new cable. There is
> a connection, the charging light is on on the Mi-Fi, the Mi-Fi talks to
> the internet, but the tablet does not recognise the Mi-Fi. I have tried
> every setting I can find, but to no avail. The Manual is of no help, it
> suggests Tethering, but that doesn't work.
> There must be an answer. All the hundreds of Search results I find refer
> to failure to connect to a local Wi-Fi network, but that is not the
> problem here.
> Any help gratefully received.

Nobody so far has mentioned an On The Go cable.
This allows a tablet or phone to communicate with a USB device as if it
was a PC.
Depending on your MiFi it may just present over USB as a local web site
for configuration so in theory it should work with your tablet.

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device

<uhdumb$1llt9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14349&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14349

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:56:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:JNjDZis3kl1PKaaYka8GdLgFq1E=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:56 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:32:58 +0100, Davey wrote:
>
>> I have a Huawei Mi-Fi device, which connects happily to my laptop when I
>> am on the road. I also have a Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet, without a SIM.
>> I want to use the Mi-Fi with the tablet, but there is a total failure to
>> communicate between the two devices. I have a brand-new cable. There is
>> a connection, the charging light is on on the Mi-Fi, the Mi-Fi talks to
>> the internet, but the tablet does not recognise the Mi-Fi. I have tried
>> every setting I can find, but to no avail. The Manual is of no help, it
>> suggests Tethering, but that doesn't work.
>> There must be an answer. All the hundreds of Search results I find refer
>> to failure to connect to a local Wi-Fi network, but that is not the
>> problem here.
>> Any help gratefully received.
>
> Nobody so far has mentioned an On The Go cable.
> This allows a tablet or phone to communicate with a USB device as if it
> was a PC.
> Depending on your MiFi it may just present over USB as a local web site
> for configuration so in theory it should work with your tablet.

Won’t this need the tablet to have the necessary drivers to see the MiFi
device as a network adapter? I know if I attach my MiFi to a Windows
machine, the PC has to go off and look for drivers.

Re: Samsung tablet won't see Mi-Fi device

<uhe150$1mdib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14350&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14350

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 16:38:08 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:38 UTC

On 26 Oct 2023 14:46:55 GMT
David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:32:58 +0100, Davey wrote:
>
> > I have a Huawei Mi-Fi device, which connects happily to my laptop
> > when I am on the road. I also have a Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet,
> > without a SIM. I want to use the Mi-Fi with the tablet, but there
> > is a total failure to communicate between the two devices. I have a
> > brand-new cable. There is a connection, the charging light is on on
> > the Mi-Fi, the Mi-Fi talks to the internet, but the tablet does not
> > recognise the Mi-Fi. I have tried every setting I can find, but to
> > no avail. The Manual is of no help, it suggests Tethering, but that
> > doesn't work. There must be an answer. All the hundreds of Search
> > results I find refer to failure to connect to a local Wi-Fi
> > network, but that is not the problem here.
> > Any help gratefully received.
>
> Nobody so far has mentioned an On The Go cable.
> This allows a tablet or phone to communicate with a USB device as if
> it was a PC.
> Depending on your MiFi it may just present over USB as a local web
> site for configuration so in theory it should work with your tablet.

Thanks, but as detailed elsewhere, it is all working now using Wifi
rather than the cable.

--
Davey.