Accept people for what they are -- completely unacceptable.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / RCS question

SubjectAuthor
* RCS questionScott
+* RCS questionChris Green
|+* RCS questionScott
||+* RCS questionPamela
|||+- RCS questionScott
|||`* RCS questionAndy Burns
||| `* RCS questionnotya...@gmail.com
|||  `* RCS questionScott
|||   `* RCS questionAbandoned Trolley
|||    `* RCS questionAndy Burns
|||     `- RCS questionAbandoned Trolley
||`- RCS questionChris Green
|+- RCS questionRichmond
|+- RCS questionAndy Burns
|`- RCS questionNick Finnigan
+* RCS questionAndy Burns
|`- RCS questionScott
+* RCS questionMartin Nicholas
|`- RCS questionScott
`* RCS questionScott
 `* RCS questionChris Green
  +- RCS questionPeter Johnson
  `* RCS questionScott
   `* RCS questionChris Green
    `* RCS questionScott
     `* RCS questionAndy Burns
      `* RCS questionAndy Burns
       `* RCS questionScott
        +- RCS questionAndy Burns
        `* RCS questionNick Finnigan
         `* RCS questionScott
          `* RCS questionAndy Burns
           `* RCS questionScott
            `- RCS questionAndy Burns

Pages:12
RCS question

<pmfcjidj8q65c1lci7ssobhn1148h6spr0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14306&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14306

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: RCS question
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:46:15 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:46 UTC

I had some trouble last week with texting. The other party first
claimed he had replied (it was important, coffee was involved) then
when he checked there was a sending error that related to RCS. I have
no more details as he quickly became bored!

It seems to me that - simplistically - RCS involves routing
communications via the Google servers instead of by SMS. Given that
SMS is a universally recognised protocol, I decided to disable RCS.

However, when I restarted my phone, RCS reappeared. I see there is a
method of deregistering the phone number from the RCS service via my
Google account. Is this the best way to proceed? At the moment I am
not receiving the six digit code (maybe because RCS is disabled?).

Am I misunderstanding something?

Re: RCS question

<v60i0k-ovrh1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14308&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14308

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: RCS question
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:58:07 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:58 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> I had some trouble last week with texting. The other party first
> claimed he had replied (it was important, coffee was involved) then
> when he checked there was a sending error that related to RCS. I have
> no more details as he quickly became bored!
>
> It seems to me that - simplistically - RCS involves routing
> communications via the Google servers instead of by SMS. Given that
> SMS is a universally recognised protocol, I decided to disable RCS.
>
> However, when I restarted my phone, RCS reappeared. I see there is a
> method of deregistering the phone number from the RCS service via my
> Google account. Is this the best way to proceed? At the moment I am
> not receiving the six digit code (maybe because RCS is disabled?).
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?

I have no answers but my phone just started saying it's sending an
'RCS message' when I want to send a text. It never used to do this
and I've not consciously changed anything.

So, presumably, some recent Android update has changed things. ... or
is RCS what we always used but it didn't tell us?

Can anyone explain all this?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: RCS question

<ammcjihml2hjiid0pcffrp88d2pha986i5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14309&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14309

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:38:17 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:38 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:58:07 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> I had some trouble last week with texting. The other party first
>> claimed he had replied (it was important, coffee was involved) then
>> when he checked there was a sending error that related to RCS. I have
>> no more details as he quickly became bored!
>>
>> It seems to me that - simplistically - RCS involves routing
>> communications via the Google servers instead of by SMS. Given that
>> SMS is a universally recognised protocol, I decided to disable RCS.
>>
>> However, when I restarted my phone, RCS reappeared. I see there is a
>> method of deregistering the phone number from the RCS service via my
>> Google account. Is this the best way to proceed? At the moment I am
>> not receiving the six digit code (maybe because RCS is disabled?).
>>
>> Am I misunderstanding something?
>
>I have no answers but my phone just started saying it's sending an
>'RCS message' when I want to send a text. It never used to do this
>and I've not consciously changed anything.
>
>So, presumably, some recent Android update has changed things. ... or
>is RCS what we always used but it didn't tell us?

Android 14?

>Can anyone explain all this?

I cannot now receive the authentication code to deregister RCS. Is
there a way of doing this direct from my PC or legally using the GDPR?

Re: RCS question

<85pm151rmc.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14310&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14310

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:54:19 +0100
 by: Richmond - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:54 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> writes:

> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> I had some trouble last week with texting. The other party first
>> claimed he had replied (it was important, coffee was involved) then
>> when he checked there was a sending error that related to RCS. I have
>> no more details as he quickly became bored!
>>
>> It seems to me that - simplistically - RCS involves routing
>> communications via the Google servers instead of by SMS. Given that
>> SMS is a universally recognised protocol, I decided to disable RCS.
>>
>> However, when I restarted my phone, RCS reappeared. I see there is a
>> method of deregistering the phone number from the RCS service via my
>> Google account. Is this the best way to proceed? At the moment I am
>> not receiving the six digit code (maybe because RCS is disabled?).
>>
>> Am I misunderstanding something?
>
> I have no answers but my phone just started saying it's sending an
> 'RCS message' when I want to send a text. It never used to do this
> and I've not consciously changed anything.
>
> So, presumably, some recent Android update has changed things. ... or
> is RCS what we always used but it didn't tell us?
>
> Can anyone explain all this?

This is a bit of thread hijacking but I saw this news back in August:

https://9to5google.com/2023/08/08/google-messages-rcs-default/

There is usually a way of sending an SMS, e.g. press and hold the send
button until a menu appears. But it depends on the messaging app.

Re: RCS question

<kpn5c5FcvgtU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14311&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14311

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:56:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:56 UTC

Scott wrote:

> I see there is a
> method of deregistering the phone number from the RCS service via my
> Google account. Is this the best way to proceed? At the moment I am
> not receiving the six digit code (maybe because RCS is disabled?).

I'm with O2,, previously they used their own RCS server, about 10 days
ago they said they'd be migrating to Google's RCS server, and there
would be some hiccups until the work was complete ... I did notice some
android users who I have sent photos to via RCS couldn't send photos
back to me ... I'll have to investigate.

Re: RCS question

<kpn5fcFcvgtU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14312&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14312

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:58:37 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:58 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

> my phone just started saying it's sending an 'RCS message' when I want
> to send a text. It never used to do this and I've not consciously
> changed anything. So, presumably, some recent Android update has changed
> things.

Previously google used to "invite" you to turn on RCS, not long ago they
block enabled it for all users.

Re: RCS question

<n5ocji9ea1kocvim6n83dcjso0isacgfcm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14313&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14313

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:05:18 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:05 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:56:54 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>
>> I see there is a
>> method of deregistering the phone number from the RCS service via my
>> Google account. Is this the best way to proceed? At the moment I am
>> not receiving the six digit code (maybe because RCS is disabled?).
>
>I'm with O2,, previously they used their own RCS server, about 10 days
>ago they said they'd be migrating to Google's RCS server, and there
>would be some hiccups until the work was complete ... I did notice some
>android users who I have sent photos to via RCS couldn't send photos
>back to me ... I'll have to investigate.

This parallels my experience. Vodafone similarly migrated and RCS
became enabled and I am having issues with some texts (or texters). It
seems there is a way to de-link the mobile number from the RCS system
at the Google end but I cannot find a way to get it to work

Re: RCS question

<uh5nk9$34aqd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14314&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14314

From: nix...@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:06:31 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:06 UTC

On 23/10/2023 11:58, Chris Green wrote:
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> I had some trouble last week with texting. The other party first
>> claimed he had replied (it was important, coffee was involved) then
>> when he checked there was a sending error that related to RCS. I have
>> no more details as he quickly became bored!
>>
>> It seems to me that - simplistically - RCS involves routing
>> communications via the Google servers instead of by SMS. Given that
>> SMS is a universally recognised protocol, I decided to disable RCS.
>>
>> However, when I restarted my phone, RCS reappeared. I see there is a
>> method of deregistering the phone number from the RCS service via my
>> Google account. Is this the best way to proceed? At the moment I am
>> not receiving the six digit code (maybe because RCS is disabled?).
>>
>> Am I misunderstanding something?
>
> I have no answers but my phone just started saying it's sending an
> 'RCS message' when I want to send a text. It never used to do this
> and I've not consciously changed anything.
>
> So, presumably, some recent Android update has changed things. ... or
> is RCS what we always used but it didn't tell us?
>
> Can anyone explain all this?

No, but I switched off RCS a while ago, on Android 11, because of the
sending errors Chris reports - no 4G coverage nearby, so never works when
I'm out. It has stayed off, but I got a prompt to re-enable after a recent
app update (initiated manually).

Re: RCS question

<20231023134712.7aa01a74@dsklinux.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14315&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14315

From: reply-2...@mgn.org.uk (Martin Nicholas)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:47:12 +0100
 by: Martin Nicholas - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:47 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:46:15 +0100
Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> I had some trouble last week with texting. The other party first
> claimed he had replied (it was important, coffee was involved) then
> when he checked there was a sending error that related to RCS. I have
> no more details as he quickly became bored!
>
> It seems to me that - simplistically - RCS involves routing
> communications via the Google servers instead of by SMS. Given that
> SMS is a universally recognised protocol, I decided to disable RCS.
>
> However, when I restarted my phone, RCS reappeared. I see there is a
> method of deregistering the phone number from the RCS service via my
> Google account. Is this the best way to proceed? At the moment I am
> not receiving the six digit code (maybe because RCS is disabled?).
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?

I use the App. called "Messaging". The icon is a green rectangular
speech bubble with a smiley inside. It is not the "messages" app.

It must be part of Android Version 11 (?) as I can't uninstall it;
there is no option for that. It seems to be SMS/MMS only. No mention of
RCS.

You are probably using the wrong app., but maybe you have no choice.

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-202310@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
October).

A Usenet posting via: https://www.eternal-september.org/. If you find
their service useful, please make a donation.

Re: RCS question

<XnsB0A68C944F86391F3A2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14316&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14316

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:49:10 +0100
 by: Pamela - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:49 UTC

On 12:38 23 Oct 2023, Scott said:

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:58:07 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
>>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I had some trouble last week with texting. The other party first
>>> claimed he had replied (it was important, coffee was involved) then
>>> when he checked there was a sending error that related to RCS. I
>>> have no more details as he quickly became bored!
>>>
>>> It seems to me that - simplistically - RCS involves routing
>>> communications via the Google servers instead of by SMS. Given that
>>> SMS is a universally recognised protocol, I decided to disable RCS.
>>>
>>> However, when I restarted my phone, RCS reappeared. I see there is
>>> a method of deregistering the phone number from the RCS service via
>>> my Google account. Is this the best way to proceed? At the moment I
>>> am not receiving the six digit code (maybe because RCS is
>>> disabled?).
>>>
>>> Am I misunderstanding something?
>>
>>I have no answers but my phone just started saying it's sending an
>>'RCS message' when I want to send a text. It never used to do this
>>and I've not consciously changed anything.
>>
>>So, presumably, some recent Android update has changed things. ...
>>or is RCS what we always used but it didn't tell us?
>
> Android 14?
>>
>>Can anyone explain all this?
>
> I cannot now receive the authentication code to deregister RCS. Is
> there a way of doing this direct from my PC or legally using the
> GDPR?

I wonder if the RCS you describe is being implemented by the mobile
network?

On my Android 10 phone there's no authentication code needed to
deregister. Instead I go to:

Messages > (user) > Messages Settings > General > RCS Chats > Turn On
RCS Chats

It remembers whatever I choose.

Re: RCS question

<04rcji537jt6oiftl4d1v1pvivbre9enl4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14317&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14317

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:55:34 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:55 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:49:10 +0100, Pamela
<pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 12:38 23 Oct 2023, Scott said:

>>>I have no answers but my phone just started saying it's sending an
>>>'RCS message' when I want to send a text. It never used to do this
>>>and I've not consciously changed anything.
>>>
>>>So, presumably, some recent Android update has changed things. ...
>>>or is RCS what we always used but it didn't tell us?
>>
>> Android 14?
>>>
>>>Can anyone explain all this?
>>
>> I cannot now receive the authentication code to deregister RCS. Is
>> there a way of doing this direct from my PC or legally using the
>> GDPR?
>
>I wonder if the RCS you describe is being implemented by the mobile
>network?

They say not. Vodafone say they ended their RCS service earlier in the
year and handed it over to Google. I must have accepted T&Cs without
realising what I was agreeing to.

>On my Android 10 phone there's no authentication code needed to
>deregister. Instead I go to:
>
>Messages > (user) > Messages Settings > General > RCS Chats > Turn On
>RCS Chats

Found that.

>It remembers whatever I choose.

My problem is that it sometimes defaults to 'on' if I switch off the
phone. I have read the way to defeat this is to 'deregister' my number
from RCS but I cannot for the of me find a way of doing this.

Re: RCS question

<hbrcji5asrr205koeq02osvm4me875ehd1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14318&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14318

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:57:47 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:57 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:47:12 +0100, Martin Nicholas
<reply-2023@mgn.org.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:46:15 +0100
>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I had some trouble last week with texting. The other party first
>> claimed he had replied (it was important, coffee was involved) then
>> when he checked there was a sending error that related to RCS. I have
>> no more details as he quickly became bored!
>>
>> It seems to me that - simplistically - RCS involves routing
>> communications via the Google servers instead of by SMS. Given that
>> SMS is a universally recognised protocol, I decided to disable RCS.
>>
>> However, when I restarted my phone, RCS reappeared. I see there is a
>> method of deregistering the phone number from the RCS service via my
>> Google account. Is this the best way to proceed? At the moment I am
>> not receiving the six digit code (maybe because RCS is disabled?).
>>
>> Am I misunderstanding something?
>
>I use the App. called "Messaging". The icon is a green rectangular
>speech bubble with a smiley inside. It is not the "messages" app.
>
>It must be part of Android Version 11 (?) as I can't uninstall it;
>there is no option for that. It seems to be SMS/MMS only. No mention of
>RCS.
>
>You are probably using the wrong app., but maybe you have no choice.

I suspect it is native to Android 14. I would prefer to retain it lest
I encounter a different set of difficulties. I just want to get
Google to f**k off.

Re: RCS question

<h39i0k-aori1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14319&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14319

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:29:53 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:29 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:58:07 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> >Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> >> I had some trouble last week with texting. The other party first
> >> claimed he had replied (it was important, coffee was involved) then
> >> when he checked there was a sending error that related to RCS. I have
> >> no more details as he quickly became bored!
> >>
> >> It seems to me that - simplistically - RCS involves routing
> >> communications via the Google servers instead of by SMS. Given that
> >> SMS is a universally recognised protocol, I decided to disable RCS.
> >>
> >> However, when I restarted my phone, RCS reappeared. I see there is a
> >> method of deregistering the phone number from the RCS service via my
> >> Google account. Is this the best way to proceed? At the moment I am
> >> not receiving the six digit code (maybe because RCS is disabled?).
> >>
> >> Am I misunderstanding something?
> >
> >I have no answers but my phone just started saying it's sending an
> >'RCS message' when I want to send a text. It never used to do this
> >and I've not consciously changed anything.
> >
> >So, presumably, some recent Android update has changed things. ... or
> >is RCS what we always used but it didn't tell us?
>
> Android 14?

No, I'm still on 11.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: RCS question

<kpnmnqFg09nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14320&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14320

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:53:15 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:53 UTC

Pamela wrote:

> I wonder if the RCS you describe is being implemented by the mobile
> network?

before the O2 -> google switch, my phone reported that RCS was provided
by my MNO, and I could turn it on/off.

At the moment it reports that "RCS chats aren't available for this
device" and I can't change anything.

Re: RCS question

<d92fjihnab33phrr5asdqlhfjq9hb70iul@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14322&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14322

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:09:49 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 09:09 UTC

Thanks everyone. I was unable in the end to deregister RCS via my
Google account but at least the 'Turn Off RCS Chats' setting on the
phone is remaining (I think disabling Wi-fi calling may have helped.)

Re: RCS question

<e7qk0k-hcmr1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14328&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14328

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:34:22 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 12:34 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks everyone. I was unable in the end to deregister RCS via my
> Google account but at least the 'Turn Off RCS Chats' setting on the
> phone is remaining (I think disabling Wi-fi calling may have helped.)

Me too! :-)

I have simply turned off RCS Chats in the message settings and it
seems to be sticking. What I don't understand is how Google turned it
on even though my phone is not logged in to a Google account, it just
goes to show how deep Google's hooks go and confirms my minimal use of
my mobile. It's just a phone and messaging device with occasional use
as a satnav (but not via Google Maps).

--
Chris Green
·

Re: RCS question

<c6jfjih4337ul8bs35lo61qrqjo7e775oq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14329&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14329

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 14:59:57 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:59 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:34:22 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> Thanks everyone. I was unable in the end to deregister RCS via my
>> Google account but at least the 'Turn Off RCS Chats' setting on the
>> phone is remaining (I think disabling Wi-fi calling may have helped.)
>
>Me too! :-)
>
>I have simply turned off RCS Chats in the message settings and it
>seems to be sticking. What I don't understand is how Google turned it
>on even though my phone is not logged in to a Google account, it just
>goes to show how deep Google's hooks go and confirms my minimal use of
>my mobile. It's just a phone and messaging device with occasional use
>as a satnav (but not via Google Maps).

Samsung phones also have the Samsung Messages app that also can't be
uninstalled but which can be set as the default message app, which
would be another way of getting around the issue. I haven't tried it
though.

Re: RCS question

<jmufji9n2l9upn07d2m6rpi9rl13cn0mko@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14331&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14331

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:14:14 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:14 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:34:22 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> Thanks everyone. I was unable in the end to deregister RCS via my
>> Google account but at least the 'Turn Off RCS Chats' setting on the
>> phone is remaining (I think disabling Wi-fi calling may have helped.)
>
>Me too! :-)
>
>I have simply turned off RCS Chats in the message settings and it
>seems to be sticking. What I don't understand is how Google turned it
>on even though my phone is not logged in to a Google account, it just
>goes to show how deep Google's hooks go and confirms my minimal use of
>my mobile. It's just a phone and messaging device with occasional use
>as a satnav (but not via Google Maps).

Could your provider have done it? I found a bit about Vodafone
transferring RCS to Google and accepting the terms would be taken as
consent. I may have accepted the terms routinely. I believe Google
then decided to change the default from off to on.

Re: RCS question

<thbl0k-t1lt1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14332&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14332

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:30:05 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:30 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 13:34:22 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> >Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Thanks everyone. I was unable in the end to deregister RCS via my
> >> Google account but at least the 'Turn Off RCS Chats' setting on the
> >> phone is remaining (I think disabling Wi-fi calling may have helped.)
> >
> >Me too! :-)
> >
> >I have simply turned off RCS Chats in the message settings and it
> >seems to be sticking. What I don't understand is how Google turned it
> >on even though my phone is not logged in to a Google account, it just
> >goes to show how deep Google's hooks go and confirms my minimal use of
> >my mobile. It's just a phone and messaging device with occasional use
> >as a satnav (but not via Google Maps).
>
> Could your provider have done it? I found a bit about Vodafone
> transferring RCS to Google and accepting the terms would be taken as
> consent. I may have accepted the terms routinely. I believe Google
> then decided to change the default from off to on.

It seems unlikely to me, I'm with idMobile and they're pretty 'hands
off' as far as I'm aware. My phone is an Umidigi Bison so (one of the
reasons I chose it) very close to 'standard' Android with no extra apps.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: RCS question

<a30gji14d4vpctfe1dc9u5njlh0nfb1pn2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14333&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14333

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:37:10 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:37 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:30:05 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>> >Me too! :-)
>> >
>> >I have simply turned off RCS Chats in the message settings and it
>> >seems to be sticking. What I don't understand is how Google turned it
>> >on even though my phone is not logged in to a Google account, it just
>> >goes to show how deep Google's hooks go and confirms my minimal use of
>> >my mobile. It's just a phone and messaging device with occasional use
>> >as a satnav (but not via Google Maps).
>>
>> Could your provider have done it? I found a bit about Vodafone
>> transferring RCS to Google and accepting the terms would be taken as
>> consent. I may have accepted the terms routinely. I believe Google
>> then decided to change the default from off to on.
>
>It seems unlikely to me, I'm with idMobile and they're pretty 'hands
>off' as far as I'm aware. My phone is an Umidigi Bison so (one of the
>reasons I chose it) very close to 'standard' Android with no extra apps.

Vodafone certainly did it:
https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Phones-devices/1974626122/Changes-to-Rich-Communication-Services-for-Android-phones.htm
As far as I can see, it has nothing to do with Android, standard or
otherwise.

Re: RCS question

<kpqfcjFuc30U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14334&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14334

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 19:06:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:06 UTC

Scott wrote:

> Vodafone certainly did it:
> https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Phones-devices/1974626122/Changes-to-Rich-Communication-Services-for-Android-phones.htm
> As far as I can see, it has nothing to do with Android, standard or
> otherwise.

Here's O2's equivalent notification, I'm still without RCS and would
like to be able to turn it back on.

<https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/RCS-An-Update-from-O2/td-p/1656507>

Re: RCS question

<50ffa2fe-a24a-4c1b-9c96-a796863d1475n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14335&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14335

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 03:30:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 10:30 UTC

On Monday, 23 October 2023 at 17:53:18 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
> Pamela wrote:
>
> > I wonder if the RCS you describe is being implemented by the mobile
> > network?
> before the O2 -> google switch, my phone reported that RCS was provided
> by my MNO, and I could turn it on/off.
>
> At the moment it reports that "RCS chats aren't available for this
> device" and I can't change anything.
My phone shows two messages app's. One does SMS the other uses Google. The latter does not do confirmation of delivery nor report failed messages, so I use the former.

I suppose an advantage of the latter is that one might be able to send attachments without racking up MMS charges.

Re: RCS question

<kh1iji13825hk94vt93khjanei37m5djo5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14336&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14336

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 13:16:16 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 12:16 UTC

On Wed, 25 Oct 2023 03:30:52 -0700 (PDT), "notya...@gmail.com"
<notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, 23 October 2023 at 17:53:18 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Pamela wrote:
>>
>> > I wonder if the RCS you describe is being implemented by the mobile
>> > network?
>> before the O2 -> google switch, my phone reported that RCS was provided
>> by my MNO, and I could turn it on/off.
>>
>> At the moment it reports that "RCS chats aren't available for this
>> device" and I can't change anything.
>My phone shows two messages app's. One does SMS the other uses Google. The latter does not do confirmation of delivery nor report failed messages, so I use the former.
>
>I suppose an advantage of the latter is that one might be able to send attachments without racking up MMS charges.

My massage therapist did not receive a birthday message (with
emoticon) sent I think by SMS. She has Android not iPhone. She says
some of her messages have been queuing up then coming through in a
burst later.

Is there an inherent unreliability in texting and is it best to use
SMS via the carrier for best compatibility and reliability?

Re: RCS question

<uhbaio$qrqv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14337&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14337

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 16:00:40 +0100
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 15:00 UTC

I suppose an advantage of the latter is that one might be able to send
attachments without racking up MMS charges.

> My massage therapist did not receive a birthday message (with
> emoticon) sent I think by SMS. She has Android not iPhone. She says
> some of her messages have been queuing up then coming through in a
> burst later.
>
> Is there an inherent unreliability in texting and is it best to use
> SMS via the carrier for best compatibility and reliability?

What exactly do you mean by "texting" ?

There is an inherent unreliability in SMS services globally.

Re: RCS question

<kpsp85Fctv7U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14338&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14338

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 16:06:45 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 15:06 UTC

Abandoned Trolley wrote:

> There is an inherent unreliability in SMS services globally.

Yes SMS offers no guarantee of delivery, but in practice, within the UK,
I find it it very reliable. Not used it internationally for quite some
time, so no comment.