From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Playing CD tracks in W10Pro
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 12:58:34 +0100
 by: Woody - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 11:58 UTC

Can someone help me please?

If I insert a CD and double click on the CD drive in File Explorer my
machine immediately starts to play the CD using Windows Media Player -
it does not go to the contents, i.e. the track list.

This happens despite the fact that VLC is set to play all audio and
media files of all formats.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how to overcome it so
that VLC is preferred. Googling has drawn a blank.

TIA.

Re: Playing CD tracks in W10Pro

<u7mrjq$2irqb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1427&group=uk.rec.audio#1427

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Re: Playing CD tracks in W10Pro
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 16:16:07 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 15:16 UTC

I can only guess that the playing of cds is set to media player.
Its a bit different to file playing, since the CD format is not strictly a
file format at all.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

Blind user, so no pictures please!

This document should only be read by those persons for whom Paranoia is
normal
and its contents are probably boring and confusing. If you receive this
e-Mail
message in error, do not notify the sender immediately, instead, print it
out and make
paper animals out of it. As the rest of this disclaimer is totally
incomprehensible, we have not bothered to attach it.
"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Can someone help me please?
>
> If I insert a CD and double click on the CD drive in File Explorer my
> machine immediately starts to play the CD using Windows Media Player - it
> does not go to the contents, i.e. the track list.
>
> This happens despite the fact that VLC is set to play all audio and media
> files of all formats.
>
> Anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how to overcome it so that
> VLC is preferred. Googling has drawn a blank.
>
> TIA.

Re: Playing CD tracks in W10Pro

<u7n3su$2jmm6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1428&group=uk.rec.audio#1428

From: Mik...@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 18:37:35 +0100
 by: MikeS - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:37 UTC

In Windows they are .cda files and Settings/Apps/Default/.cda lets you
set any required program (eg VLC) to play them.

On 30/06/2023 16:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I can only guess that the playing of cds is set to media player.
> Its a bit different to file playing, since the CD format is not strictly
> a file format at all.
> Brian

Re: Playing CD tracks in W10Pro

<u7ne01$2koth$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1429&group=uk.rec.audio#1429

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 21:29:53 +0100
 by: Woody - Fri, 30 Jun 2023 20:29 UTC

On Fri 30/06/2023 18:37, MikeS wrote:
> In Windows they are .cda files and Settings/Apps/Default/.cda lets you
> set any required program (eg VLC) to play them.
>
> On 30/06/2023 16:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I can only guess that the playing of cds is set to media player.
>> Its a bit different to file playing, since the CD format is not
>> strictly a file format at all.
>> Brian

Thanks both. As I said all audio files are associated in Windoze with
VLC and that <includes> cda files. There are no single file types that I
know off that are music types that have Windows Media Player against them.
What puzzles me is that if I open File Explorer so I can see all of my
drives, and then I double click (as is the way) on the CD/DVD drive
letter I would expect it to open and list the drive (i.e. CD) contents -
which I'm pretty sure it has done in the past. However when I double
click now Media Player immediately opens in the small window and starts
playing, and there is no file list displayed. I just don't understand it
and Googling is of no help either.

Re: Playing CD tracks in W10Pro

<u7oha8$2rljl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1430&group=uk.rec.audio#1430

From: Mik...@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 07:32:39 +0100
 by: MikeS - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 06:32 UTC

On 30/06/2023 21:29, Woody wrote:
> On Fri 30/06/2023 18:37, MikeS wrote:
>> In Windows they are .cda files and Settings/Apps/Default/.cda lets you
>> set any required program (eg VLC) to play them.
>>
>> On 30/06/2023 16:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> I can only guess that the playing of cds is set to media player.
>>> Its a bit different to file playing, since the CD format is not
>>> strictly a file format at all.
>>> Brian
>>>

> Thanks both. As I said all audio files are associated in Windoze with
> VLC and that <includes> cda files. There are no single file types that I
> know off that are music types that have Windows Media Player against them.
> What puzzles me is that if I open File Explorer so I can see all of my
> drives, and then I double click (as is the way) on the CD/DVD drive
> letter I would expect it to open and list the drive (i.e. CD) contents -
> which I'm pretty sure it has done in the past. However when I double
> click now Media Player immediately opens in the small window and starts
> playing, and there is no file list displayed. I just don't understand it
> and Googling is of no help either.

A CD is a removable media device. To view the contents in File Explorer
turn off Autoplay (in Settings, Bluetooth & devices).

Re: Playing CD tracks in W10Pro

<u7ok80$2s0f7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1431&group=uk.rec.audio#1431

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 08:22:38 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 07:22 UTC

Maybe Microsoft have some sneaky way to set media player as default for CDs
that you can only find in the settings somewhere.
Brian

--

"MikeS" <MikeS@fred.com> wrote in message
> On 30/06/2023 21:29, Woody wrote:
>> On Fri 30/06/2023 18:37, MikeS wrote:
>>> In Windows they are .cda files and Settings/Apps/Default/.cda lets you
>>> set any required program (eg VLC) to play them.

>> Thanks both. As I said all audio files are associated in Windoze with VLC
>> and that <includes> cda files. There are no single file types that I know
>> off that are music types that have Windows Media Player against them.
>> What puzzles me is that if I open File Explorer so I can see all of my
>> drives, and then I double click (as is the way) on the CD/DVD drive
>> letter I would expect it to open and list the drive (i.e. CD) contents -
>> which I'm pretty sure it has done in the past. However when I double
>> click now Media Player immediately opens in the small window and starts
>> playing, and there is no file list displayed. I just don't understand it
>> and Googling is of no help either.
>
> A CD is a removable media device. To view the contents in File Explorer
> turn off Autoplay (in Settings, Bluetooth & devices).

Re: Playing CD tracks in W10Pro

<u7olpi$2s51j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1432&group=uk.rec.audio#1432

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 08:49:06 +0100
 by: Woody - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 07:49 UTC

On Sat 01/07/2023 07:32, MikeS wrote:
> On 30/06/2023 21:29, Woody wrote:
>> On Fri 30/06/2023 18:37, MikeS wrote:
>>> In Windows they are .cda files and Settings/Apps/Default/.cda lets
>>> you set any required program (eg VLC) to play them.

>> Thanks both. As I said all audio files are associated in Windoze with
>> VLC and that <includes> cda files. There are no single file types that
>> I know off that are music types that have Windows Media Player against
>> them.
>> What puzzles me is that if I open File Explorer so I can see all of my
>> drives, and then I double click (as is the way) on the CD/DVD drive
>> letter I would expect it to open and list the drive (i.e. CD) contents
>> - which I'm pretty sure it has done in the past. However when I double
>> click now Media Player immediately opens in the small window and
>> starts playing, and there is no file list displayed. I just don't
>> understand it and Googling is of no help either.
>
> A CD is a removable media device. To view the contents in File Explorer
> turn off Autoplay (in Settings, Bluetooth & devices).

Autoplay has never been turned on and is/was not now.

Re: Playing CD tracks in W10Pro

<u90ajg$nnp6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1433&group=uk.rec.audio#1433

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 09:43:28 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 08:43 UTC

Have you tried using the k-Lite codec pack?
That also has its own player.
Brian

--

--: