When you become used to never being alone, you may consider yourself Americanized.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Apples are rather small this year... (maybe a bit OT for gardening)

SubjectAuthor
* Apples are rather small this year...Chris Bacon
+- Re: Apples are rather small this year...Andy Burns
+* Re: Apples are rather small this year...Jeff Layman
|`* Re: Apples are rather small this year...Chris Bacon
| `* Re: Apples are rather small this year...Chris J Dixon
|  `- Re: Apples are rather small this year... (maybe a bit OT forChris Bacon
+* Re: Apples are rather small this year...David
|`* Re: Apples are rather small this year...David
| `* Re: Apples are rather small this year...Chris Bacon
|  `* Re: Apples are rather small this year...Jeff Layman
|   `* Re: Apples are rather small this year...Chris Bacon
|    `- Re: Apples are rather small this year...Chris Bacon
+- Re: Apples are rather small this year...Chris Green
`- Re: Apples are rather small this year...Martin Brown

1
Apples are rather small this year...

<shiscc$e7t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1393&group=uk.rec.gardening#1393

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Apples are rather small this year...
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 19:26:20 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 18:26 UTC

I'n picking them from my "eaters" tree. Rathe small, perhaps 'cos I did
not thin them out at all. They will be brewed. I will probably try go
"obtain" some elsewhere for the same purpose. Are "small apples" a
general occurrence this year?

Re: Apples are rather small this year...

<iq4c2mFnndgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1394&group=uk.rec.gardening#1394

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Apples are rather small this year...
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 19:49:57 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 18:49 UTC

Chris Bacon wrote:

> Are "small apples" a
> general occurrence this year?

I think the only apples I have this year are the crab-apples.

Re: Apples are rather small this year...

<shiurt$v2e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1395&group=uk.rec.gardening#1395

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 20:08:45 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 19:08 UTC

On 11/09/2021 19:26, Chris Bacon wrote:
> I'n picking them from my "eaters" tree. Rathe small, perhaps 'cos I did
> not thin them out at all. They will be brewed. I will probably try go
> "obtain" some elsewhere for the same purpose. Are "small apples" a
> general occurrence this year?

Most of ours are pretty small, but we've had only a couple of mm of rain
in the last 4 - 5 weeks. June and July were very wet (300 mm of rain in
total), but after the first week August was pretty dry, and it has
continued into September.

--

Jeff

Re: Apples are rather small this year...

<iq63kfFio20U5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1397&group=uk.rec.gardening#1397

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 12 Sep 2021 10:38:07 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 10:38 UTC

On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 19:26:20 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:

> I'n picking them from my "eaters" tree. Rathe small, perhaps 'cos I did
> not thin them out at all. They will be brewed. I will probably try go
> "obtain" some elsewhere for the same purpose. Are "small apples" a
> general occurrence this year?

Our early eater/cooker (new tree) had a good crop.
The other new tree had none.
The ancient apple we inherited isn't doing well.
Just been out to look and there seems to be nothing on it apart from one
very small rotten one.
This is unusual because the ground is normally covered in windfalls over
the autumn.

It has been a strange year.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Apples are rather small this year...

<iq63ulFio20U6@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1398&group=uk.rec.gardening#1398

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 12 Sep 2021 10:43:33 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 10:43 UTC

On Sun, 12 Sep 2021 10:38:07 +0000, David wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 19:26:20 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:
>
>> I'n picking them from my "eaters" tree. Rathe small, perhaps 'cos I did
>> not thin them out at all. They will be brewed. I will probably try go
>> "obtain" some elsewhere for the same purpose. Are "small apples" a
>> general occurrence this year?
>
> Our early eater/cooker (new tree) had a good crop.
> The other new tree had none.
> The ancient apple we inherited isn't doing well.
> Just been out to look and there seems to be nothing on it apart from one
> very small rotten one.
> This is unusual because the ground is normally covered in windfalls over
> the autumn.
>
> It has been a strange year.

Just reminded myself that our apples are usually heavily infested with
codling moth.

The new tree was attacked this year.

However the established tree won't have produced many moth larvae because
there is virtually no fruit.

I wonder if there will be a significant reduction in infestation next year?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Apples are rather small this year...

<shleb3$7au$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1399&group=uk.rec.gardening#1399

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 18:45:07 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 17:45 UTC

On 12/09/2021 11:43, David wrote:

> Just reminded myself that our apples are usually heavily infested with
> codling moth.
>
> The new tree was attacked this year.
>
> However the established tree won't have produced many moth larvae because
> there is virtually no fruit.
>
> I wonder if there will be a significant reduction in infestation next year?

If you don't object to deltamethrin, you could use:

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/provanto-ultimate-bug-killer-concentrate-30ml/p/0429940
(if they still have any left), or https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/16032585516
(note the spelling, it seems "Provado" has changed to "Provanto" at some
time).

I have used this, because my apples were virtually unusable due to
codling moth. 1 x 30ml bottle makes enough spray for 60 litres, which
will treat maybe half a dozen decent-sized trees. Went from "absolutely
riddled with maggots" to none.

There's also a biologican control, for instance
https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/nemasys-fruit-veg-protection/11-nemasys-fruit-veg-protection-nematodes-x2
(I have not tried this, and would love to hear from anyone that has). It
needs to be applied soonish, Sep/Oct seems to be the time (see
instructions at:
file:///C:/Users/rw/AppData/Local/Temp/Nemasys_fruit-and-veg-protection_instructions.pdf

Re: Apples are rather small this year...

<shleql$e7l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1400&group=uk.rec.gardening#1400

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 18:53:25 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 17:53 UTC

On 11/09/2021 20:08, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 11/09/2021 19:26, Chris Bacon wrote:
>> I'n picking them from my "eaters" tree. Rathe small, perhaps 'cos I did
>> not thin them out at all. They will be brewed. I will probably try go
>> "obtain" some elsewhere for the same purpose. Are "small apples" a
>> general occurrence this year?
>
> Most of ours are pretty small, but we've had only a couple of mm of rain
> in the last 4 - 5 weeks. June and July were very wet (300 mm of rain in
> total), but after the first week August was pretty dry, and it has
> continued into September.

Well, I am juicing mine. Due to a shortage of containers, I have to do
this over the course of a couple of weeks (need more 30L plastic
buckets). Two Lidl cardboard fruit boxes of these apples give me 25L of
juice. So the yield is a little down on normal, but not too bad.

Re: Apples are rather small this year...

<shlioc$ro7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1402&group=uk.rec.gardening#1402

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 20:00:27 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 19:00 UTC

On 12/09/2021 18:45, Chris Bacon wrote:
> On 12/09/2021 11:43, David wrote:
>
>> Just reminded myself that our apples are usually heavily infested with
>> codling moth.
>>
>> The new tree was attacked this year.
>>
>> However the established tree won't have produced many moth larvae because
>> there is virtually no fruit.
>>
>> I wonder if there will be a significant reduction in infestation next year?
>
> If you don't object to deltamethrin, you could use:
>
> https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/provanto-ultimate-bug-killer-concentrate-30ml/p/0429940
> (if they still have any left), or https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/16032585516
> (note the spelling, it seems "Provado" has changed to "Provanto" at some
> time).
>
> I have used this, because my apples were virtually unusable due to
> codling moth. 1 x 30ml bottle makes enough spray for 60 litres, which
> will treat maybe half a dozen decent-sized trees. Went from "absolutely
> riddled with maggots" to none.
>

> There's also a biologican control, for instance
> https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/nemasys-fruit-veg-protection/11-nemasys-fruit-veg-protection-nematodes-x2
> (I have not tried this, and would love to hear from anyone that has). It
> needs to be applied soonish, Sep/Oct seems to be the time (see
> instructions at:
> file:///C:/Users/rw/AppData/Local/Temp/Nemasys_fruit-and-veg-protection_instructions.pdf

You need an online link!

There are also codling moth pheremone traps. For example:
<https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/codling-moth-trap>

--

Jeff

Re: Apples are rather small this year...

<shljfb$j3l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1403&group=uk.rec.gardening#1403

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 20:12:43 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 19:12 UTC

On 12/09/2021 20:00, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 12/09/2021 18:45, Chris Bacon wrote:
>> On 12/09/2021 11:43, David wrote:
>>
>>> Just reminded myself that our apples are usually heavily infested with
>>> codling moth.
>>>
>>> The new tree was attacked this year.
>>>
>>> However the established tree won't have produced many moth larvae
>>> because
>>> there is virtually no fruit.
>>>
>>> I wonder if there will be a significant reduction in infestation next
>>> year?
>>
>> If you don't object to deltamethrin, you could use:
>>
>> https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/provanto-ultimate-bug-killer-concentrate-30ml/p/0429940
>>
>> (if they still have any left), or https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/16032585516
>> (note the spelling, it seems "Provado" has changed to "Provanto" at some
>> time).
>>
>> I have used this, because my apples were virtually unusable due to
>> codling moth. 1 x 30ml bottle makes enough spray for 60 litres, which
>> will treat maybe half a dozen decent-sized trees. Went from "absolutely
>> riddled with maggots" to none.
>>

>> There's also a biologican control, for instance
>> https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/nemasys-fruit-veg-protection/11-nemasys-fruit-veg-protection-nematodes-x2
>>
>> (I have not tried this, and would love to hear from anyone that has). It
>> needs to be applied soonish, Sep/Oct seems to be the time (see
>> instructions at:
>> file:///C:/Users/rw/AppData/Local/Temp/Nemasys_fruit-and-veg-protection_instructions.pdf
>>

> You need an online link!
>
> There are also codling moth pheremone traps. For example:
> <https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/codling-moth-trap>

Oh blast, sorry, drat the thing.

For the stuff.

https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/7-nemasys-fruit-veg-protection

For the instructions.

https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=1

This is not a recommendation, & if anyone's used it I would love to know
how effective it is. It would not do to have to treat everyone else's
apple trees, I would rather be *carefully* chemical in this instance
(and that's speaking as a beekeeper, too).

Regardimng pheremone traps, I have never found them to be worthwhile,
except to find out what the scale of the impending problem will be.
There is some other sort of pheremone thing, used by apple producers,
which you put in bottles, and the male moths get onto it, and fly about,
spreadung it, and being contacted by other males too, which apparently
causes great confusion. Hang on...

Re: Apples are rather small this year...

<cnv11i-0lmb3.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1404&group=uk.rec.gardening#1404

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 20:06:52 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 19:06 UTC

Chris Bacon <chris.p.bacon@maildrop.cc> wrote:
> I'n picking them from my "eaters" tree. Rathe small, perhaps 'cos I did
> not thin them out at all. They will be brewed. I will probably try go
> "obtain" some elsewhere for the same purpose. Are "small apples" a
> general occurrence this year?

Ours are the opposite, larger than usual but very few of them.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Apples are rather small this year...

<shljuu$qpe$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1405&group=uk.rec.gardening#1405

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 20:21:02 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 19:21 UTC

On 12/09/2021 20:12, Chris Bacon wrote:
> On 12/09/2021 20:00, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> There are also codling moth pheremone traps. For example:
>> <https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/codling-moth-trap>
>
> Regardimng pheremone traps, I have never found them to be worthwhile,
> except to find out what the scale of the impending problem will be.
> There is some other sort of pheremone thing, used by apple producers,
> which you put in bottles, and the male moths get onto it, and fly about,
> spreadung it, and being contacted by other males too, which apparently
> causes great confusion. Hang on...

Yes, here it is, but it ("Exosex CM") is also for codling, they say.

The Exosex/Insectrac Clothes Moth Pheromone tablet, attracts male
Webbing Clothes Moths, which approach to mate with the tablet and in the
process, pick up the female pheromone on their bodies, this disrupts
their ability to locate a female moth and this, therefore, significantly
reduces the amount of eggs being produced by the moth. Males with the
pheromone on them will also spread it to other males. There is total
confusion as to where the real female moth are!!

Re: Apples are rather small this year...

<rk1ujg1rf6td4rrdu1eb3ie9jg54eprtfp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1409&group=uk.rec.gardening#1409

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 09:07:40 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 08:07 UTC

Chris Bacon wrote:

>Well, I am juicing mine. Due to a shortage of containers, I have to do
>this over the course of a couple of weeks (need more 30L plastic
>buckets). Two Lidl cardboard fruit boxes of these apples give me 25L of
>juice. So the yield is a little down on normal, but not too bad.

How do you store/ preserve the juice?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Apples are rather small this year...

<shocm2$1jk3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1424&group=uk.rec.gardening#1424

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 21:35:13 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 20:35 UTC

On 11/09/2021 19:26, Chris Bacon wrote:
> I'n picking them from my "eaters" tree. Rathe small, perhaps 'cos I did
> not thin them out at all. They will be brewed. I will probably try go
> "obtain" some elsewhere for the same purpose. Are "small apples" a
> general occurrence this year?

No apples are a general occurrence where I live in North Yorkshire.

My big tree that in a good year will have vast numbers has at most 100
apples all up. The few that survived this far are actually fairly big.
There was no June drop to speak of as the flowers were frosted to blazes
by severe late frosts. The fig tree lost every growing point too.
Likewise hydrangea flower buds were all destroyed.

My neighbours pear tree has precisely two pears on it (a big tree).

Strangely my earlier flowering pear tree got away with it and has a very
good fruit set as did her early plum tree. Anything that flowered during
the severe frosts had almost no fruit set at all. What few flowers
survived the hard frosts had no flying insects around to pollinate them.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Apples are rather small this year... (maybe a bit OT for gardening)

<shqob6$1r51$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1435&group=uk.rec.gardening#1435

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Apples are rather small this year... (maybe a bit OT for
gardening)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:06:30 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:06 UTC

On 13/09/2021 09:07, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Chris Bacon wrote:
>> Well, I am juicing mine.
>
> How do you store/ preserve the juice?

I have two favourite methods:

1) Turn it into cider. Basically, a crude process whereby 25L of juice
is let stand overnight to let some of the solids settle out, and then
siphoned off into another bucket, with added yeast, to ferment (the
bucket has a tight-fitting lid and I cover it with a cloth secured aroud
with a bungy cord). When it's finished it gets siphoned off into 2L
"recycled" plastic bottles with a spoon of sugar to give it a bit of
fizz. Start bnow, bottle near to Christmas, drink from late Spring or
Summer on.

2) Pasteurise it. This means getting clean "recycled" 500ml beer
bottles, filling them with the cleared juice (I stir in a heaped
teaspoon of pectolase and again let the juice stand overnight to clear),
and standing them in a preserving pan (&/or large saucepan)on the hob,
in water, covered by a cloth to retain heat, until the temperature has
reached 65C and stays there for 15 minutes. This requires some juggling
with the heat, and is a bit of a pain, quite frankly. I wanted one of
Lidl's pasteuriser which could be had for £40, but they sold out almost
instantly. Similar are I am sure availavle elsewhere or China China China.

You can also freeze it, which is very good, and less hassle (in plastic
bags) BUT I'd probably need a dedicated freezer.