I watch television because you don't know what it will do if you leave it in the room alone.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: USB (fast) Charger

SubjectAuthor
* USB (fast) ChargerJoeJoe
+- Re: USB (fast) ChargerSH
+- Re: USB (fast) ChargerAndy Burns
`* Re: USB (fast) ChargerTheo
 `* Re: USB (fast) ChargerJoeJoe
  +* Re: USB (fast) ChargerJoeJoe
  |`- Re: USB (fast) ChargerJoeJoe
  +* Re: USB (fast) ChargerTheo
  |`- Re: USB (fast) ChargerJoeJoe
  `* Re: USB (fast) ChargerChris Ridd
   `- Re: USB (fast) ChargerJoeJoe

1
USB (fast) Charger

<Ks6dnXs_uvd2N8z8nZ2dnUU78cvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1407&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1407

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
Subject: USB (fast) Charger
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:28:43 +0100
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:28 UTC

Looking for a multi posrt USB charger, preferably 4-5 ports, and fast
charger.

Found this one (there are other similar ones):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B096FF2L4H/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B096FF2L4H

Every port seems to support fast charging (3.1A), but the device is
rated as 33W max: 33w/4 = 8.25W per port / 5v = 1.65A per port when all
4 are utilised, which is really rubbish.

Am I missing a trick here?

Re: USB (fast) Charger

<sisajs$7lc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1408&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1408

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: USB (fast) Charger
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:40:43 +0100
 by: SH - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 11:40 UTC

On 27/09/2021 12:28, JoeJoe wrote:
> Looking for a multi posrt USB charger, preferably 4-5 ports, and fast
> charger.
>
> Found this one (there are other similar ones):
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B096FF2L4H/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B096FF2L4H
>

> Every port seems to support fast charging (3.1A), but the device is
> rated as 33W max:  33w/4 = 8.25W per port / 5v = 1.65A per port when all
> 4 are utilised, which is really rubbish.
>
> Am I missing a trick here?

be very careful when buying wall warts from the likes of Amazon or Ebay
or Aliexpress..... They may either be counterfiet or do not adhere to
CE marks or British safety standards.

There have been many a case documents where items of dodgy provenance
have burst into flames and the odd occasional house burnt down.

Your buildings insurance could reduce the payout due to "contributory
negligence".

S.

Re: USB (fast) Charger

<irdu0gFnluuU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1409&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1409

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 14:07:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:07 UTC

JoeJoe wrote:

> Looking for a multi posrt USB charger, preferably 4-5 ports, and fast charger.
I'd go for a reasonably known brand, and with at least one PD port, I prefer
ones where the 13A plug isn't moulded into the charger, they get a bit
cumbersome, pick one with a C6 or C8 inlet.

Depends if 12 or 20W split between the three 'A' ports is enough for you, other
variations exist, the GaN ones are a bit more compact.

<https://amazon.co.uk/Anker-charger/dp/B07ZGHB8SM>
<https://amazon.co.uk/StarTech-charger/dp/B083QYZGGP>

Re: USB (fast) Charger

<bPf*Ychvy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1410&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1410

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 27 Sep 2021 14:10:33 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:10 UTC

JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:
> Looking for a multi posrt USB charger, preferably 4-5 ports, and fast
> charger.

What kind of fast charging do you want? There are several kinds:

USB-PD: modern laptops, Apple, Google
QC: anything with a Qualcomm chip in it
Huawei/Xiaomi/Oneplus have their own standards

A phone should try and take up to 2A from a regular USB socket, but to go
above that it may try and use one of those protocols to negotiate up.
PD and QC raise the voltage to minimise losses in the cable.
Some of the Chinese manufacturers expose the battery directly to the charger
so the conversion electronics can live there where they are better cooled.

> Found this one (there are other similar ones):
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B096FF2L4H/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B096FF2L4H

That has a QC port - does that match your phone?

> Every port seems to support fast charging (3.1A), but the device is
> rated as 33W max: 33w/4 = 8.25W per port / 5v = 1.65A per port when all
> 4 are utilised, which is really rubbish.
>
> Am I missing a trick here?

What are you trying to do? Charge four phones at once? If not phones, what
needs the current?

As mentioned, many cheap chargers have dubious mains safety. This is a good
comparison table - note the 'death' symbols...
https://lygte-info.dk/info/ChargerIndex%20UK.html

Theo

Re: USB (fast) Charger

<OJKdnRU_t9haTcz8nZ2dnUU78U_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1411&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1411

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 15:10:15 +0100
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 14:10 UTC

On 27/09/2021 14:10, Theo wrote:
> JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:
>> Looking for a multi posrt USB charger, preferably 4-5 ports, and fast
>> charger.
>
> What kind of fast charging do you want? There are several kinds:
>
> USB-PD: modern laptops, Apple, Google
> QC: anything with a Qualcomm chip in it
> Huawei/Xiaomi/Oneplus have their own standards
>
> A phone should try and take up to 2A from a regular USB socket, but to go
> above that it may try and use one of those protocols to negotiate up.
> PD and QC raise the voltage to minimise losses in the cable.
> Some of the Chinese manufacturers expose the battery directly to the charger
> so the conversion electronics can live there where they are better cooled.
>
>> Found this one (there are other similar ones):
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B096FF2L4H/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B096FF2L4H
>
> That has a QC port - does that match your phone?
>
>> Every port seems to support fast charging (3.1A), but the device is
>> rated as 33W max: 33w/4 = 8.25W per port / 5v = 1.65A per port when all
>> 4 are utilised, which is really rubbish.
>>
>> Am I missing a trick here?
>
> What are you trying to do? Charge four phones at once? If not phones, what
> needs the current?
>
> As mentioned, many cheap chargers have dubious mains safety. This is a good
> comparison table - note the 'death' symbols...
> https://lygte-info.dk/info/ChargerIndex%20UK.html
>
> Theo

Sorry, I should have been more specific:

I take such device with us when going away. Used to charge a Samsung S20
(which supports fast charging - at least 50% faster than "normal
charging" from experience), a couple of kindles, another Samsung phone
(soon to be replaced) which does not support fast charging, and a
Samsung tablet (again, no fast charging).

Over the last few years I have bought similar Anker charges to the one
you mentioned - 4-5 ports, 5 in total I believe. The very last of them
died whilst we were away this weekend. They were certainly not the
cheapest at the time, and none has lasted more than 4 years or so. BTW,
none of the power packs that I bought of theirs during that time (4 I
think) has lasted much longer. All the above have had pretty minimal use.

Looking to replace the dead multi port charger, and though that I would
try one with fast charging as I get from the original charges that came
with the S20 (and the phone of the little ones who are no longer here).
All charged the phone much faster.
When the Anker ones died I replaced them with similar RAVPower ones
(another brand sold through Amazon). All still going strong, but Amazon
don't seem to stock them any more, hence looking for another manufacturer.

Re: USB (fast) Charger

<-tadnQuMRJiOT8z8nZ2dnUU78bOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1412&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1412

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 15:15:47 +0100
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 14:15 UTC

On 27/09/2021 15:10, JoeJoe wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 14:10, Theo wrote:
>> JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:
>>> Looking for a multi posrt USB charger, preferably 4-5 ports, and fast
>>> charger.
>>
>> What kind of fast charging do you want?  There are several kinds:
>>
>> USB-PD: modern laptops, Apple, Google
>> QC: anything with a Qualcomm chip in it
>> Huawei/Xiaomi/Oneplus have their own standards
>>
>> A phone should try and take up to 2A from a regular USB socket, but to go
>> above that it may try and use one of those protocols to negotiate up.
>> PD and QC raise the voltage to minimise losses in the cable.
>> Some of the Chinese manufacturers expose the battery directly to the
>> charger
>> so the conversion electronics can live there where they are better
>> cooled.
>>
>>> Found this one (there are other similar ones):
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B096FF2L4H/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B096FF2L4H
>>>

>> That has a QC port - does that match your phone?
>>
>>> Every port seems to support fast charging (3.1A), but the device is
>>> rated as 33W max:  33w/4 = 8.25W per port / 5v = 1.65A per port when all
>>> 4 are utilised, which is really rubbish.
>>>
>>> Am I missing a trick here?
>>
>> What are you trying to do?  Charge four phones at once?  If not
>> phones, what
>> needs the current?
>>
>> As mentioned, many cheap chargers have dubious mains safety.  This is
>> a good
>> comparison table - note the 'death' symbols...
>> https://lygte-info.dk/info/ChargerIndex%20UK.html
>>
>> Theo
>>

> Sorry, I should have been more specific:
>
> I take such device with us when going away. Used to charge a Samsung S20
> (which supports fast charging - at least 50% faster than "normal
> charging" from experience), a couple of kindles, another Samsung phone
> (soon to be replaced) which does not support fast charging, and a
> Samsung tablet (again, no fast charging).
>
> Over the last few years I have bought similar Anker charges to the one
> you mentioned - 4-5 ports, 5 in total I believe. The very last of them
> died whilst we were away this weekend. They were certainly not the
> cheapest at the time, and none has lasted more than 4 years or so. BTW,
> none of the power packs that I bought of theirs during that time (4 I
> think) has lasted much longer. All the above have had pretty minimal use.
>
> Looking to replace the dead multi port charger, and though that I would
> try one with fast charging as I get from the original charges that came
> with the S20 (and the phone of the little ones who are no longer here).
> All charged the phone much faster.
> When the Anker ones died I replaced them with similar RAVPower ones
> (another brand sold through Amazon). All still going strong, but Amazon
> don't seem to stock them any more, hence looking for another manufacturer.

PS: looking for a charger that will have 4-5 USB-A sockets so that I
only have to carry a few micro-USB and USB-c cables with me.

Re: USB (fast) Charger

<-tadnQqMRJhtT8z8nZ2dnUU78bOdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1413&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1413

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 15:19:28 +0100
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 14:19 UTC

On 27/09/2021 15:15, JoeJoe wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 15:10, JoeJoe wrote:
>>>
>>> What kind of fast charging do you want?  There are several kinds:
>>>
>>> USB-PD: modern laptops, Apple, Google
>>> QC: anything with a Qualcomm chip in it
>>> Huawei/Xiaomi/Oneplus have their own standards
>>>
>>> A phone should try and take up to 2A from a regular USB socket, but
>>> to go
>>> above that it may try and use one of those protocols to negotiate up.
>>> PD and QC raise the voltage to minimise losses in the cable.
>>> Some of the Chinese manufacturers expose the battery directly to the
>>> charger
>>> so the conversion electronics can live there where they are better
>>> cooled.

>>> That has a QC port - does that match your phone?

>>> What are you trying to do?  Charge four phones at once?  If not
>>> phones, what
>>> needs the current?
>>>
>>> As mentioned, many cheap chargers have dubious mains safety.  This is
>>> a good
>>> comparison table - note the 'death' symbols...
>>> https://lygte-info.dk/info/ChargerIndex%20UK.html
>>>
>>> Theo
>>>

>> Sorry, I should have been more specific:
>>
>> I take such device with us when going away. Used to charge a Samsung
>> S20 (which supports fast charging - at least 50% faster than "normal
>> charging" from experience), a couple of kindles, another Samsung phone
>> (soon to be replaced) which does not support fast charging, and a
>> Samsung tablet (again, no fast charging).
>>
>> Over the last few years I have bought similar Anker charges to the one
>> you mentioned - 4-5 ports, 5 in total I believe. The very last of them
>> died whilst we were away this weekend. They were certainly not the
>> cheapest at the time, and none has lasted more than 4 years or so.
>> BTW, none of the power packs that I bought of theirs during that time
>> (4 I think) has lasted much longer. All the above have had pretty
>> minimal use.
>>
>> Looking to replace the dead multi port charger, and though that I
>> would try one with fast charging as I get from the original charges
>> that came with the S20 (and the phone of the little ones who are no
>> longer here). All charged the phone much faster.
>> When the Anker ones died I replaced them with similar RAVPower ones
>> (another brand sold through Amazon). All still going strong, but
>> Amazon don't seem to stock them any more, hence looking for another
>> manufacturer.
>>

> PS: looking for a charger that will have 4-5 USB-A sockets so that I
> only have to carry a few micro-USB and USB-c cables with me.

The ones I had were the older version (similar spec) of this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerPort-Family-Sized-Technology-Smartphones-Black/dp/B00PK1IIJY

Worked fine when they did, but last year or so their price doubled to
the current, and from my personal experience with their products I find
no reason to pay it.

Re: USB (fast) Charger

<cPf*rNivy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1414&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1414

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 27 Sep 2021 21:19:18 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 20:19 UTC

JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:

> I take such device with us when going away. Used to charge a Samsung S20
> (which supports fast charging - at least 50% faster than "normal
> charging" from experience), a couple of kindles, another Samsung phone
> (soon to be replaced) which does not support fast charging, and a
> Samsung tablet (again, no fast charging).

OK, so the S20 supports USB PD 3.0 PPS as its 45W fastest charging protocol.
You may find it will charge slightly less quick (eg 25W) with regular USB
PD.

USB PD requires a USB C connector or captive cable on the charger. The S20
(from what I read) also supports QC 2.0 at 15W, which is supported over a
USB A connector.

I think the kindles are normal 2A max USB, and the other Samsungs probably
take that too (if they don't support QC [1])

I'd probably be looking for a supply with 1x USB-C port supporting PD (PPS
if you can find one, but not the end of the world) and Nx USB-A ports at 2A
(although more amps is nice). If you were to go for one with a QC port it
would be better than normal USB but about a third as quick as PPS.

> When the Anker ones died I replaced them with similar RAVPower ones
> (another brand sold through Amazon). All still going strong, but Amazon
> don't seem to stock them any more, hence looking for another manufacturer.

RAVpower was caught in review fraud so the group (including Aukey and other
brands) got banned from Amazon. I don't have any good suggestions of
non-deathtrap brands apart from Anker and Apple.

Theo

[1] Slightly old list:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/05/07/qualcomm-quick-charge-2-and-3-devices/

Re: USB (fast) Charger

<BbqdnbYifa5_xM_8nZ2dnUU78SXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1415&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1415

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 00:55:14 +0100
 by: JoeJoe - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 23:55 UTC

On 27/09/2021 21:19, Theo wrote:
> JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I take such device with us when going away. Used to charge a Samsung S20
>> (which supports fast charging - at least 50% faster than "normal
>> charging" from experience), a couple of kindles, another Samsung phone
>> (soon to be replaced) which does not support fast charging, and a
>> Samsung tablet (again, no fast charging).
>
> OK, so the S20 supports USB PD 3.0 PPS as its 45W fastest charging protocol.
> You may find it will charge slightly less quick (eg 25W) with regular USB
> PD.
>
> USB PD requires a USB C connector or captive cable on the charger. The S20
> (from what I read) also supports QC 2.0 at 15W, which is supported over a
> USB A connector.
>
> I think the kindles are normal 2A max USB, and the other Samsungs probably
> take that too (if they don't support QC [1])
>
> I'd probably be looking for a supply with 1x USB-C port supporting PD (PPS
> if you can find one, but not the end of the world) and Nx USB-A ports at 2A
> (although more amps is nice). If you were to go for one with a QC port it
> would be better than normal USB but about a third as quick as PPS.
>
>> When the Anker ones died I replaced them with similar RAVPower ones
>> (another brand sold through Amazon). All still going strong, but Amazon
>> don't seem to stock them any more, hence looking for another manufacturer.
>
> RAVpower was caught in review fraud so the group (including Aukey and other
> brands) got banned from Amazon. I don't have any good suggestions of
> non-deathtrap brands apart from Anker and Apple.
>
> Theo
>
> [1] Slightly old list:
> https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/05/07/qualcomm-quick-charge-2-and-3-devices/

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation!

Re: USB (fast) Charger

<sj7h7i$pvn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1435&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1435

From: chrisr...@mac.com (Chris Ridd)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 18:41:05 +0100
 by: Chris Ridd - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 17:41 UTC

On 27/09/2021 15:10, JoeJoe wrote:
> When the Anker ones died I replaced them with similar RAVPower ones
> (another brand sold through Amazon). All still going strong, but Amazon
> don't seem to stock them any more, hence looking for another manufacturer.

RAVPower were one of the brands that Amazon purged earlier this year,
for apparently doing things like soliciting (and paying for) favourable
reviews.

--
Chris

Re: USB (fast) Charger

<VYednaQ8HevlDMr8nZ2dnUU78a2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1436&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1436

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 23:53:44 +0100
 by: JoeJoe - Fri, 1 Oct 2021 22:53 UTC

On 01/10/2021 18:41, Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 27/09/2021 15:10, JoeJoe wrote:
>> When the Anker ones died I replaced them with similar RAVPower ones
>> (another brand sold through Amazon). All still going strong, but
>> Amazon don't seem to stock them any more, hence looking for another
>> manufacturer.
>
> RAVPower were one of the brands that Amazon purged earlier this year,
> for apparently doing things like soliciting (and paying for) favourable
> reviews.

Thanks for that - was mentioned already by someone else.