Who dat who say "who dat" when I say "who dat"? -- Hattie McDaniel

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

SubjectAuthor
* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Tweed
`* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Graeme Wall
 +* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Tweed
 |`* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 | `* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Tweed
 |  +* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Graeme Wall
 |  |+- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 |  |+* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Clank
 |  ||+- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Certes
 |  ||`* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 |  || +- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 |  || `* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Anna Noyd-Dryver
 |  ||  `* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 |  ||   +- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Charles Ellson
 |  ||   `- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Anna Noyd-Dryver
 |  |`* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardJohn Levine
 |  | +* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardRoland Perry
 |  | |+* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardAnna Noyd-Dryver
 |  | ||`* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardRoland Perry
 |  | || `* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardAnna Noyd-Dryver
 |  | ||  `- scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardRoland Perry
 |  | |+* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardPeter Johnson
 |  | ||`* scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardMark Goodge
 |  | || +- scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardNY
 |  | || `- scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardNY
 |  | |+- scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardPeter Johnson
 |  | |`- scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardPeter Johnson
 |  | `- scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcardLondon calling
 |  `* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 |   `* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Tweed
 |    `- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
 +- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Anna Noyd-Dryver
 `* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
  +* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Charles Ellson
  |`* Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Roland Perry
  | `- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Charles Ellson
  `- Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?Lew 1

Pages:12
Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<s7neo7y17DuiFAln@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14057&group=uk.transport.london#14057

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:11:49 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 11:11 UTC

In message <t99dq5$3svuj$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:52:53 on Sun, 26 Jun
2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t97k94$2vri$1@gal.iecc.com>, at 18:31:00 on Sat, 25 Jun
>> 2022, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:

>>> My local supermarket has a phone app that uses the phone's camera to
>>> scan the barcodes as I shop and put stuff in my bag. When I weigh veg,
>>> the scale shows a barcode I can scan, so I don't need to print a label
>>> or even to use a separate bag. When I get to the self-serve till, the
>>> app scans a barcode on the till's screen which then transfers the list
>>> to the till, and lets me finish there. The app only works when
>>> connected to the store's wifi which I imagine avoids a range of
>>> naughtiness.
>>>
>>> It's great, time at the till is usually under a minute. The app is
>>> Toshiba branded. Do they not have it where you are?
>>
>> Some stores have hand-held scanners in a rack by the door, and once you
>> are registered in the scheme (often linked to a loyalty card) you scan
>> each item as you put it in the trolley. It's a bit of a pain if you
>> change your mind about an item. And then at a special group of tills you
>> download the contents of the scanner, it adds it up, and someone comes
>> over and decides they'll re-scan the whole lot anyway, just in case
>> you've sneaked in an extra packet of mints without scanning. Almost
>> no-one uses them at my Tesco, it's a complete white elephant.
>
>At Asda it's linked only to your phone number. Initially you would be
>automatically selected by the system for a total re-scan randomly about one
>time in ten, but after a while it changed and now the staff scan five
>random items from your shopping, again about one time in ten or perhaps
>even less.
>
>I find it very efficient and user-friendly, provided I remember to take a
>shopping bag in with me.

A mistake you only make once, perhaps?
--
Roland Perry

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<fhhgbhlbmqvmjjlp51f92i7rm2i6oo0qp5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14058&group=uk.transport.london#14058

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:43:44 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 11:43 UTC

On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:10:33 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <t99dq4$3svuj$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:52:52 on Sun, 26 Jun
>2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t97gl2$3jblo$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:29:06 on Sat, 25 Jun
>>> 2022, Clank <clank75@googlemail.com> remarked:

>>> M&S have added confusion factor in that if you take a bag to pack into,
>>> you naturally scan the barcode (wouldn't want to shoplift it). At the
>>> very end it says "how many bags are you using", and if you say "one", it
>>> charges for a second!
>>
>>That's a mistake you only make once, of course.
>
>Maybe you only shop there once (this was in the food court at a
>hospital, I don't normally shop in M&S on the High St, not least because
>the nearest branch is an hour's drive away).

You can make the same mistake in my local Sainsbury's. (yes, just
once)

Re: Where to put my railcard on my Oyter card at Heathrow?

<t99jlg$3thbu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14060&group=uk.transport.london#14060

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:32:48 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bnIiyeGwBSYW+EBQgkXiPBD5Dq0=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:32 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t99dq4$3svuj$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:52:52 on Sun, 26 Jun
> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t97gl2$3jblo$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:29:06 on Sat, 25 Jun
>>> 2022, Clank <clank75@googlemail.com> remarked:

>>> M&S have added confusion factor in that if you take a bag to pack into,
>>> you naturally scan the barcode (wouldn't want to shoplift it). At the
>>> very end it says "how many bags are you using", and if you say "one", it
>>> charges for a second!
>>
>> That's a mistake you only make once, of course.
>
> Maybe you only shop there once (this was in the food court at a
> hospital, I don't normally shop in M&S on the High St, not least because
> the nearest branch is an hour's drive away).

I mean, in general. It's not unique to M&S, it's something you can do at
any supermarket. All the bag for lifes have a barcode on them, and every
self checkout will ask you about bags at the end. Paying twice for a bag is
something I did once, and then remembered not to scan the bag next time (or
alternatively, if you did scan the bag, remember to tap zero bags at the
end). It's a transferable skill, and as I said, something you only do once.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<t99jlh$3thbu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14061&group=uk.transport.london#14061

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:32:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:W5yp17LL1SKT1AB7p08HV0njEas=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:32 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t99dq5$3svuj$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:52:53 on Sun, 26 Jun
> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t97k94$2vri$1@gal.iecc.com>, at 18:31:00 on Sat, 25 Jun
>>> 2022, John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:

>>> Some stores have hand-held scanners in a rack by the door, and once you
>>> are registered in the scheme (often linked to a loyalty card) you scan
>>> each item as you put it in the trolley. It's a bit of a pain if you
>>> change your mind about an item. And then at a special group of tills you
>>> download the contents of the scanner, it adds it up, and someone comes
>>> over and decides they'll re-scan the whole lot anyway, just in case
>>> you've sneaked in an extra packet of mints without scanning. Almost
>>> no-one uses them at my Tesco, it's a complete white elephant.
>>
>> At Asda it's linked only to your phone number. Initially you would be
>> automatically selected by the system for a total re-scan randomly about one
>> time in ten, but after a while it changed and now the staff scan five
>> random items from your shopping, again about one time in ten or perhaps
>> even less.
>>
>> I find it very efficient and user-friendly, provided I remember to take a
>> shopping bag in with me.
>
> A mistake you only make once, perhaps?

If you forget to take a bag with you, you revert to conventional checkout
(self- or otherwise).

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<tg0uezE4YFuiFAkm@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14063&group=uk.transport.london#14063

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 13:51:04 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 12:51 UTC

In message <t99jlh$3thbu$2@dont-email.me>, at 12:32:49 on Sun, 26 Jun
2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t99dq5$3svuj$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:52:53 on Sun, 26 Jun
>> 2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>> At Asda it's linked only to your phone number. Initially you would be
>>> automatically selected by the system for a total re-scan randomly about one
>>> time in ten, but after a while it changed and now the staff scan five
>>> random items from your shopping, again about one time in ten or perhaps
>>> even less.
>>>
>>> I find it very efficient and user-friendly, provided I remember to take a
>>> shopping bag in with me.
>>
>> A mistake you only make once, perhaps?
>
>If you forget to take a bag with you, you revert to conventional checkout
>(self- or otherwise).

The M&S in question only had self-checkout (it was a Covid thing). And I
hadn't forgotten to take a bag, we were delayed within the workflow at
the hospital and so had a couple of unexpected hours to while away.
--
Roland Perry

Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<sppgbh905kqvarag09m7baftn551bnev73@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14064&group=uk.transport.london#14064

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:13:22 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 14:13 UTC

On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 08:01:22 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>Some stores have hand-held scanners in a rack by the door, and once you
>are registered in the scheme (often linked to a loyalty card) you scan
>each item as you put it in the trolley. It's a bit of a pain if you
>change your mind about an item. And then at a special group of tills you
>download the contents of the scanner, it adds it up, and someone comes
>over and decides they'll re-scan the whole lot anyway, just in case
>you've sneaked in an extra packet of mints without scanning. Almost
>no-one uses them at my Tesco, it's a complete white elephant.

Lot of people, including me, use it in my local Tesco Extra. There is
a button on the handset for returning stuff you don't want/have change
your mind about; useful for schecking the price of an item if the shel
label has gone missing. And the only time the contents of by bag (or
bags) have been checked has been when the system says I have been
selected (which reminds me of those Reader's Digest mailings) for a
random check, which varies in frequency - I was once checked when I
had only bought one item, and another time when I had scanned
(accidentally) for three of something that I normally buy two of.
Forget what it was but I went and fetched a third one. There's
obviously some very clever processing going on when the shop is
transfered from the handset.

Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<9hqgbhddrrjnu12rkl458ikhchel68bdqs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14065&group=uk.transport.london#14065

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:16:12 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 14:16 UTC

wrote:

>Some stores have hand-held scanners in a rack by the door, and once you
>are registered in the scheme (often linked to a loyalty card) you scan
>each item as you put it in the trolley. It's a bit of a pain if you
>change your mind about an item. And then at a special group of tills you
>download the contents of the scanner, it adds it up, and someone comes
>over and decides they'll re-scan the whole lot anyway, just in case
>you've sneaked in an extra packet of mints without scanning. Almost
>no-one uses them at my Tesco, it's a complete white elephant.

Lot of people, including me, use it in my local Tesco Extra. There is
a button on the handset for returning stuff you don't want/have change
your mind about; useful for schecking the price of an item if the shel
label has gone missing. And the only time the contents of by bag (or
bags) have been checked has been when the system says I have been
selected (which reminds me of those Reader's Digest mailings) for a
random check, which varies in frequency - I was once checked when I
had only bought one item, and another time when I had scanned
(accidentally) for three of something that I normally buy two of.
Forget what it was but I went and fetched a third one. There's
obviously some very clever processing going on when the shop is
transfered from the handset.

Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<snqgbhtm03dutuas190g1f54i5gr25evig@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14066&group=uk.transport.london#14066

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:20:35 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 14:20 UTC

wrote:

>Some stores have hand-held scanners in a rack by the door, and once you
>are registered in the scheme (often linked to a loyalty card) you scan
>each item as you put it in the trolley. It's a bit of a pain if you
>change your mind about an item. And then at a special group of tills you
>download the contents of the scanner, it adds it up, and someone comes
>over and decides they'll re-scan the whole lot anyway, just in case
>you've sneaked in an extra packet of mints without scanning. Almost
>no-one uses them at my Tesco, it's a complete white elephant.

A lot of people, including me, use it in my local Tesco Extra. There
is a button on the handset for returning stuff you don't want/have
change your mind about; useful for schecking the price of an item if
the shelf label has gone missing. And the only time the contents of by
bag (or bags) have been checked has been when the system says I have
been selected (which reminds me of those Reader's Digest mailings) for
a random check, which varies in frequency - I was once checked when I
had only bought one item, and another time when I had scanned
(accidentally) for three of something that I normally buy two of.
Forget what it was but I went and fetched a third one. There's
obviously some very clever processing going on when the shop is
transfered from the handset.

Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<rrugbhds88cga0fh4e3h8jjoplvpqif14o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14067&group=uk.transport.london#14067

From: use...@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk (Mark Goodge)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 16:38:20 +0100
 by: Mark Goodge - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:38 UTC

On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:13:22 +0100, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam>
wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Jun 2022 08:01:22 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Some stores have hand-held scanners in a rack by the door, and once you
>>are registered in the scheme (often linked to a loyalty card) you scan
>>each item as you put it in the trolley. It's a bit of a pain if you
>>change your mind about an item. And then at a special group of tills you
>>download the contents of the scanner, it adds it up, and someone comes
>>over and decides they'll re-scan the whole lot anyway, just in case
>>you've sneaked in an extra packet of mints without scanning. Almost
>>no-one uses them at my Tesco, it's a complete white elephant.
>>
>Lot of people, including me, use it in my local Tesco Extra. There is
>a button on the handset for returning stuff you don't want/have change
>your mind about; useful for schecking the price of an item if the shel
>label has gone missing. And the only time the contents of by bag (or
>bags) have been checked has been when the system says I have been
>selected (which reminds me of those Reader's Digest mailings) for a
>random check, which varies in frequency - I was once checked when I
>had only bought one item, and another time when I had scanned
>(accidentally) for three of something that I normally buy two of.
>Forget what it was but I went and fetched a third one. There's
>obviously some very clever processing going on when the shop is
>transfered from the handset.

The frequency of random checking is also based on some fairly complex
algorithms. The more often you use it, the less likely you are to get selected.
Non-standard behaviour, such as scanning then removing a lot of items, will tend
to trigger a check. Anecdotally, there are certain times of the day when a
random check is more likely. And staff can also surreptitiously trigger a
"random" check if they think you have been behaving suspiciously.

Mark

Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<t99v2u$3uu9q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14068&group=uk.transport.london#14068

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 16:47:12 +0100
 by: NY - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:47 UTC

"Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message
>>Lot of people, including me, use it in my local Tesco Extra. There is
>>a button on the handset for returning stuff you don't want/have change
>>your mind about; useful for schecking the price of an item if the shel
>>label has gone missing. And the only time the contents of by bag (or
>>bags) have been checked has been when the system says I have been
>>selected (which reminds me of those Reader's Digest mailings) for a
>>random check, which varies in frequency - I was once checked when I
>>had only bought one item, and another time when I had scanned
>>(accidentally) for three of something that I normally buy two of.
>>Forget what it was but I went and fetched a third one. There's
>>obviously some very clever processing going on when the shop is
>>transfered from the handset.

Self-scanning (either as you go along or at a checkout) raises an
interesting ethical dilemma. What do you do if you get home and look at your
receipt, and notice that (completely innocently) an item that you had
scanned had failed to register? Do you contact the shop and offer to pay for
the item along with the rest of your shopping next time you are in that
branch? Or do you keep quiet about it. I had this a few months ago. I phoned
the shop, explained what had happened, and offered to pay either by card
over the phone or along with my next load of shopping. I was told that I was
so honest that they would ignore the mistake and let me have the item (which
was only a pound or so) for free.

Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<t9a0rk$3v4g5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14069&group=uk.transport.london#14069

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 16:47:12 +0100
 by: NY - Sun, 26 Jun 2022 15:47 UTC

"Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message
>>Lot of people, including me, use it in my local Tesco Extra. There is
>>a button on the handset for returning stuff you don't want/have change
>>your mind about; useful for schecking the price of an item if the shel
>>label has gone missing. And the only time the contents of by bag (or
>>bags) have been checked has been when the system says I have been
>>selected (which reminds me of those Reader's Digest mailings) for a
>>random check, which varies in frequency - I was once checked when I
>>had only bought one item, and another time when I had scanned
>>(accidentally) for three of something that I normally buy two of.
>>Forget what it was but I went and fetched a third one. There's
>>obviously some very clever processing going on when the shop is
>>transfered from the handset.

Self-scanning (either as you go along or at a checkout) raises an
interesting ethical dilemma. What do you do if you get home and look at your
receipt, and notice that (completely innocently) an item that you had
scanned had failed to register? Do you contact the shop and offer to pay for
the item along with the rest of your shopping next time you are in that
branch? Or do you keep quiet about it. I had this a few months ago. I phoned
the shop, explained what had happened, and offered to pay either by card
over the phone or along with my next load of shopping. I was told that I was
so honest that they would ignore the mistake and let me have the item (which
was only a pound or so) for free.

Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard

<5h37hh1anum7jnsuc5brtamtf5pndflc9d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14398&group=uk.transport.london#14398

From: sf...@london.london (London calling)
Newsgroups: uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 18:27:14 +0100
 by: London calling - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 17:27 UTC

On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 18:31:00 -0000 (UTC), John Levine
<johnl@taugh.com> wrote:

>My local supermarket has a phone app that uses the phone's camera to
>scan the barcodes as I shop and put stuff in my bag. When I weigh veg,
>the scale shows a barcode I can scan, so I don't need to print a label
>or even to use a separate bag. When I get to the self-serve till, the
>app scans a barcode on the till's screen which then transfers the list
>to the till, and lets me finish there. The app only works when
>connected to the store's wifi which I imagine avoids a range of
>naughtiness.
>
>It's great, time at the till is usually under a minute. The app is
>Toshiba branded. Do they not have it where you are?
>
>My main complaint is that the supermarket has a separate shopping list
>app so I have to switch back and forth. That app sorts the list by
>aisle so I can make one pass through the store.

Ours (Sainsbury's) has a similar system. I prefer to use their
hand-held scanners though as their app doesn't stop my phone going to
sleep between items.

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: scan me, baby, was Where to put my railcard