You are absolute plate-glass. I see to the very back of your mind. -- Sherlock Holmes

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / CyclingMikey takes down fleeing suspect with bike

SubjectAuthor
* CyclingMikey takes down fleeing suspect with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: CyclingMikey takes down fleeing suspect with bikeswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: CyclingMikey takes down fleeing suspect with bikeMike Collins

1
CyclingMikey takes down fleeing suspect with bike

<993d912e-d378-478e-8f6a-13ff1fee8109n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14416&group=uk.rec.cycling#14416

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 10:43:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: CyclingMikey takes down fleeing suspect with bike
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 18 Sep 2022 17:43 UTC

Bike-riding activist Mike van Erp, better known by his online alias CyclingMikey (link is external), has earned a reputation for catching law-breaking motorists in the act. But last month the camera cyclist played a key role in stopping a completely different kind of suspected criminal activity – by spectacularly using his bike to take out an alleged drug dealer who was fleeing from the police.

A video of the incident – which was posted on Twitter yesterday (link is external) by an anonymous policing account (after Mike had uploaded the full footage to his YouTube channel) – has at the time of writing been viewed over 900,000 times.

It shows the cyclist riding past a group of police officers talking to a man on London’s Inverness Terrace, near Hyde Park.

While Van Erp tells road.cc that he was initially tempted to film the incident, believing that the man may have been unfairly targeted by the officers, he quickly changed his mind as the alleged suspect began to flee, and used his bike as a barrier to send him clattering to the ground.

The man, who can be seen in the video throwing away a small bag as he is about to be apprehended, was arrested by police on suspicion of possession with intent to supply.

“It’s very hard to make such an instinctive snap judgement correctly, but his massive change in demeanour in a split second, when he went from affable and smiling to a powerful sprinter on the run, was enough to convince me, as was the instant loud shouting from the police,” Mike told road.cc.

“Briefly before this, I thought for a moment about filming the interaction in case it became one where the police were not treating him right, but I dismissed that thought and seconds later had entirely the opposite idea.

“These cops seemed very professional, and when they restrained the guy they used appropriate force and were clearly not angry with him, just calm and professional.”

Describing the spectacular takedown, Van Erp said: “Basically I put my bike in the way of his sprint, and he caught my front rack with a glancing blow at mid-thigh height, which sent him tumbling.

“I’ve played a fair bit of roller hockey in defence, including with body checks. I did the bare minimum necessary to impede his sprint enough for the police to be able to catch him.

“It felt a lot like playing hockey and taking a forward out of the play.”

Since being posted on Twitter, the viral video has divided those on social media. While many have praised Van Erp’s actions, others have accused him of “vigilantism” for his intervention.

Meanwhile, some users, such as broadcaster and cycling campaigner Jeremy Vine, pointed out the cognitive dissonance of those on both sides of the debate, whose reaction may have been different if Van Erp hadn't been on a bike or if the apparent lawbreaker had been behind the wheel of a car:

https://road.cc/content/news/cyclingmikey-takes-down-fleeing-suspect-bike-296009

Re: CyclingMikey takes down fleeing suspect with bike

<33eea2f8-30ea-451d-ad63-199ab0d475bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14435&group=uk.rec.cycling#14435

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 03:49:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 10:49 UTC

Anyone who follows Mikey's endeavours on social media will know that he has a pretty balanced attitude: he's highly supportive of the police but at the same time acknowledges that there are still problems with racism and won't hesitate to call them out when he sees them. This is exemplified here, where he changes from one perspective to another, both based on the evidence he saw.

The now-thankfully-banned poster was disgracefully trying to imply (because he disapproves of Mikey's main activity of catching phone drivers) that Mikey would have enjoyed taking down a black man because of his (Mikey's) upbringing in Zimbabwe. Good to see the back of him - until the next time of course.

Re: CyclingMikey takes down fleeing suspect with bike

<1eb4e6a4-5db2-49df-91ad-33b0f995470bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14552&group=uk.rec.cycling#14552

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 05:42:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: cmike8...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 12:42 UTC

On Sunday, 18 September 2022 at 18:43:33 UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> “I’ve played a fair bit of roller hockey in defence, including with body checks. I did the bare minimum necessary to impede his sprint enough for the police to be able to catch him.
>
> “It felt a lot like playing hockey and taking a forward out of the play.”
>
> Since being posted on Twitter, the viral video has divided those on social media. While many have praised Van Erp’s actions, others have accused him of “vigilantism” for his intervention.
>
> Meanwhile, some users, such as broadcaster and cycling campaigner Jeremy Vine, pointed out the cognitive dissonance of those on both sides of the debate, whose reaction may have been different if Van Erp hadn't been on a bike or if the apparent lawbreaker had been behind the wheel of a car:

Watch this from Crimebodge before you use force to help the police, it could backfire on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgOJe3lF5FI

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / CyclingMikey takes down fleeing suspect with bike