From: use...@page2.eu (Clive Page)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: eSIM for the USA actually worked
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:35:13 +0000
 by: Clive Page - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:35 UTC

As I was surprised to find something that actually worked as advertised, I thought I'd report it here.

I was travelling around the USA for a couple of weeks and thought that having mobile data might be useful, although free wifi services are fairly widespread. Roaming in the USA on just about any UK mobile provider seems ridiculously expensive.

I discovered my phone would take an eSIM and moneysavingexpert had a list of possible ones that could be used. I chose the Nomad eSIM and for £9 got 3 GB valid for a month. (their website is getnomad.app). Downloading and activating it was simple and it worked everywhere I needed it with mostly 5g connections. And it allowed tethering so data could be used by a laptop.

--
Clive Page

Re: eSIM for the USA actually worked

<krc5meFf80bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14459&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14459

From: mar...@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: eSIM for the USA actually worked
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 14:27:26 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 14:27 UTC

On 10/11/2023 16:35, Clive Page wrote:
> As I was surprised to find something that actually worked as advertised,
> I thought I'd report it here.
>
> I was travelling around the USA for a couple of weeks and thought that
> having mobile data might be useful, although free wifi services are
> fairly widespread.  Roaming in the USA on just about any UK mobile
> provider seems ridiculously expensive.

Sky Mobile do it for 2 quid a day, but yes the other networks are more
expensive. Though we went in April and a 30 day allowance from EE only
cost me 12 quid (we were there 7 days)

Re: eSIM for the USA actually worked

<52n4li9mdln21kbsma1e68cknps5cl1o9d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14461&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14461

From: mai...@nospam.com (Chris in Makati)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 17:34:35 +0000
 by: Chris in Makati - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 17:34 UTC

On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 14:27:26 +0000, Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com>
wrote:

>On 10/11/2023 16:35, Clive Page wrote:
>> As I was surprised to find something that actually worked as advertised,
>> I thought I'd report it here.
>>
>> I was travelling around the USA for a couple of weeks and thought that
>> having mobile data might be useful, although free wifi services are
>> fairly widespread.  Roaming in the USA on just about any UK mobile
>> provider seems ridiculously expensive.
>
>Sky Mobile do it for 2 quid a day, but yes the other networks are more
>expensive. Though we went in April and a 30 day allowance from EE only
>cost me 12 quid (we were there 7 days)

Another option is to use a Pokefi device. It works in 170 countries,
and has the same price for data in every country. US$15 (around £12)
for 5GB, and the data package you buy lasts for 2 years.

https://www.mypokefi.com/

I've been using it for years and it's proved invaluable when
traveling. Probably not worth the initial investment unless you travel
frequently enough though.

Chris