I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human. -- David Bowie

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis

SubjectAuthor
* Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisisRH
`* Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting anRH
 `* Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisJohn Hall
  +* Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisRH
  |`- Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting anDavid North
  `* Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crismax.it
   `* Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisMike Holmans
    `- Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting anRH

1
Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis

<19f8c13f-4ac4-4851-a3e4-99d6fb2ada86n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14400&group=uk.sport.cricket#14400

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 02:48:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 09:48 UTC

The battle for Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis
At a time when more diversity is being encouraged, the BBC is battling to maintain its core cricket audience

By
Thom Gibbs,
SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
1 June 2021 • 7:00am
The battle for Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis
CREDIT: TELEGRAPH

Daniel Norcross is about to upset the loyal listeners of Test Match Special.. “I’m not really a cake man, I’m more of a savouries person. I wish they’d send more samosas.”

In the land of the lovingly-baked Victoria Sponge, delivered in person to the commentary box, this is sacrilege, a betrayal of tradition. Then again, these are standard accusations for TMS, a BBC institution whose most vocal - and frequent - critics are also those who love the programme the most.

Norcross, a relative newcomer to its commentary team, created upstart internet rival Test Match Sofa in 2009. Shortly after graduating to TMS Snr in 2016 he read a complaint letter about himself which claimed that he had “destroyed” the programme. “There is so much emotion attached - people feel a sense of ownership,” he says.

But like other BBC Radio institutions which elicit strong reactions - think Desert Island Discs, Today and The Archers - TMS now faces an urgent question: who, exactly, is it for? Seemingly irreconcilable forces are at work - the BBC’s relentless desire to modernise and diversify, and TMS’s traditional familiarity, which underpins its appeal to many of its listeners. Throw in the perpetual worries about the future of Test cricket itself, and it is not an exaggeration to say that this is a moment of existential crisis.

Read more at https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/06/01/battle-test-match-special-bbc-institution-confronting-existential/

RH

RH

Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis

<82e91821-236c-47e2-9f93-4ec0d42a7e37n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14403&group=uk.sport.cricket#14403

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 04:16:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an
existential crisis
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 11:16 UTC

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 10:48:25 AM UTC+1, RH wrote:
> The battle for Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis
> At a time when more diversity is being encouraged, the BBC is battling to maintain its core cricket audience
>
> By
> Thom Gibbs,
> SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
> 1 June 2021 • 7:00am
> The battle for Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis
> CREDIT: TELEGRAPH
>
> Daniel Norcross is about to upset the loyal listeners of Test Match Special. “I’m not really a cake man, I’m more of a savouries person. I wish they’d send more samosas.”
>
> In the land of the lovingly-baked Victoria Sponge, delivered in person to the commentary box, this is sacrilege, a betrayal of tradition. Then again, these are standard accusations for TMS, a BBC institution whose most vocal - and frequent - critics are also those who love the programme the most.
>
> Norcross, a relative newcomer to its commentary team, created upstart internet rival Test Match Sofa in 2009. Shortly after graduating to TMS Snr in 2016 he read a complaint letter about himself which claimed that he had “destroyed” the programme. “There is so much emotion attached - people feel a sense of ownership,” he says.
>
> But like other BBC Radio institutions which elicit strong reactions - think Desert Island Discs, Today and The Archers - TMS now faces an urgent question: who, exactly, is it for? Seemingly irreconcilable forces are at work - the BBC’s relentless desire to modernise and diversify, and TMS’s traditional familiarity, which underpins its appeal to many of its listeners. Throw in the perpetual worries about the future of Test cricket itself, and it is not an exaggeration to say that this is a moment of existential crisis.
>
> Read more at https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/06/01/battle-test-match-special-bbc-institution-confronting-existential/
>
> RH
>
> RH
Note: O for the days of a resolutely non-diverse TMS with Brian Johnston (Eton) , Henry Blofeld (Eton ), CMJ (Marborough) , Jon Agnew (Uppingham ) and Trevor Bailey Dulwich ) ......... RH

Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis

<2QNqztANzjtgFwF3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14405&group=uk.sport.cricket#14405

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 14:57:33 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 13:57 UTC

In message <82e91821-236c-47e2-9f93-4ec0d42a7e37n@googlegroups.com>, RH
<anywhere156@gmail.com> writes
>Note: O for the days of a resolutely non-diverse TMS with Brian
>Johnston (Eton) , Henry Blofeld (Eton ), CMJ (Marborough) , Jon Agnew
>(Uppingham ) and Trevor Bailey Dulwich ) ......... RH

Presumably you didn't approve of Jon Arlott. Don Mosey or Fred Trueman
then. TMS was never as "resolutely non-diverse" as you seem to believe.
--
John Hall "Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always
pays off now." Anon

Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis

<23fbbc4b-e224-4fa3-8f13-fc21c2890dc5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14406&group=uk.sport.cricket#14406

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:32:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 14:32 UTC

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 3:07:17 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <82e91821-236c-47e2...@googlegroups.com>, RH
> <anywh...@gmail.com> writes
> >Note: O for the days of a resolutely non-diverse TMS with Brian
> >Johnston (Eton) , Henry Blofeld (Eton ), CMJ (Marborough) , Jon Agnew
> >(Uppingham ) and Trevor Bailey Dulwich ) ......... RH
> Presumably you didn't approve of Jon Arlott. Don Mosey or Fred Trueman
> then. TMS was never as "resolutely non-diverse" as you seem to believe.

Arlott and Mosey were long gone by the time Agnew arrived. and the six names I listed were regulars in the 1990s. Trueman was allowed to join them as an unwitting court jester... RH

> --
> John Hall "Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always
> pays off now." Anon

Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis

<6ricbg1177up3l8obt12ube64cuunebgjf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14408&group=uk.sport.cricket#14408

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:04:50 +0100
 by: max.it - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 15:04 UTC

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 14:57:33 +0100, John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <82e91821-236c-47e2-9f93-4ec0d42a7e37n@googlegroups.com>, RH
><anywhere156@gmail.com> writes
>>Note: O for the days of a resolutely non-diverse TMS with Brian
>>Johnston (Eton) , Henry Blofeld (Eton ), CMJ (Marborough) , Jon Agnew
>>(Uppingham ) and Trevor Bailey Dulwich ) ......... RH
>
>Presumably you didn't approve of Jon Arlott. Don Mosey or Fred Trueman
>then. TMS was never as "resolutely non-diverse" as you seem to believe.

Not content with being unable to say what he actually can see, or mean
what he actually says. Henderson has added being unable to say what he
can hear as well.

max.it

Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis

<asjcbghtj0irbkh1dgj6bhrtdkitsffajf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14409&group=uk.sport.cricket#14409

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:20:10 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 15:20 UTC

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:04:50 +0100, max.it <max@tea.time> wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 14:57:33 +0100, John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <82e91821-236c-47e2-9f93-4ec0d42a7e37n@googlegroups.com>, RH
>><anywhere156@gmail.com> writes
>>>Note: O for the days of a resolutely non-diverse TMS with Brian
>>>Johnston (Eton) , Henry Blofeld (Eton ), CMJ (Marborough) , Jon Agnew
>>>(Uppingham ) and Trevor Bailey Dulwich ) ......... RH
>>
>>Presumably you didn't approve of Jon Arlott. Don Mosey or Fred Trueman
>>then. TMS was never as "resolutely non-diverse" as you seem to believe.
>
>Not content with being unable to say what he actually can see, or mean
>what he actually says. Henderson has added being unable to say what he
>can hear as well.

His amazing inability to classify players' accents anywhere near
accurately has long been a source of great hilarity. His contact with
reality isn't even fleeting these days.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis

<da545a6a-dedc-483e-a7d7-3cde96246cd6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14410&group=uk.sport.cricket#14410

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 09:20:31 -0700 (PDT)
existential crisis
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 16:20 UTC

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 4:20:13 PM UTC+1, Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:04:50 +0100, max.it <m...@tea.time> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 14:57:33 +0100, John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>In message <82e91821-236c-47e2...@googlegroups.com>, RH
> >><anywh...@gmail.com> writes
> >>
> >>Presumably you didn't approve of Jon Arlott. Don Mosey or Fred Trueman
> >>then. TMS was never as "resolutely non-diverse" as you seem to believe.
> >
> >Not content with being unable to say what he actually can see, or mean
> >what he actually says. Henderson has added being unable to say what he
> >can hear as well.
> His amazing inability to classify players' accents anywhere near
> accurately has long been a source of great hilarity. His contact with
> reality isn't even fleeting these days.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

Oh, the irony.....RH

Re: Test Match Special: How a BBC institution is confronting an existential crisis

<ihs78oF6vfnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14469&group=uk.sport.cricket#14469

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
existential crisis
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 15:28:39 +0100
 by: David North - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 14:28 UTC

On 01/06/2021 15:32, RH wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 3:07:17 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <82e91821-236c-47e2...@googlegroups.com>, RH
>> <anywh...@gmail.com> writes
>>> Note: O for the days of a resolutely non-diverse TMS with Brian
>>> Johnston (Eton) , Henry Blofeld (Eton ), CMJ (Marborough) , Jon Agnew
>>> (Uppingham ) and Trevor Bailey Dulwich ) ......... RH
>> Presumably you didn't approve of Jon Arlott. Don Mosey or Fred Trueman
>> then. TMS was never as "resolutely non-diverse" as you seem to believe.
>
> Arlott and Mosey were long gone by the time Agnew arrived.

Mosey wasn't. He retired from commentary in 1991, the same year that
Agnew started. There's a photo here that includes both of them:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1155770/Charles-Sale-Museum-Sport-fund-tops-whopping-40m.html

The caption says 1994, but that's clearly wrong as Brian Johnston died
on 5 Jan that year.

--
David North