To err is human, to forgive is against company policy.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Re: mesh system recommendations

SubjectAuthor
* mesh system recommendationsTim+
+* Re: mesh system recommendationsTweed
|`* Re: mesh system recommendationsAndy Burns
| `* Re: mesh system recommendationsTweed
|  +- Re: mesh system recommendationsRupert Moss-Eccardt
|  `- Re: mesh system recommendationsnotya...@gmail.com
`* Re: mesh system recommendationsNick Finnigan
 `* Re: mesh system recommendationsJeff Gaines
  +* Re: mesh system recommendationsTim+
  |`* Re: mesh system recommendationsNick Finnigan
  | +* Re: mesh system recommendationsAndy Burns
  | |`* Re: mesh system recommendationsNick Finnigan
  | | `* Re: mesh system recommendationsAndy Burns
  | |  `- Re: mesh system recommendationsRupert Moss-Eccardt
  | `- Re: mesh system recommendationsNY
  `* Re: mesh system recommendationsRoger Mills
   `* Re: mesh system recommendationsJeff Gaines
    +- Re: mesh system recommendationsTweed
    `* Re: mesh system recommendationsRoger Mills
     +* Re: mesh system recommendationsJeff Gaines
     |`* Re: mesh system recommendationsRoger Mills
     | `- Re: mesh system recommendationsJeff Gaines
     `* Re: mesh system recommendationsGraham J
      `- Re: mesh system recommendationsNick Finnigan

1
mesh system recommendations

<835745452.717175472.185368.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14258&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14258

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: mesh system recommendations
Date: 23 Sep 2023 15:28:44 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 15:28 UTC

Any recommendations for mesh systems? We have a BT Whole home mesh system
with 3 nodes which we’re very happy with but that was bought a few years
ago when there wasn’t much choice. Now there are a lot more options at all
sorts of price points.

My son-in-law has a 300Mbps fibre connection (with Zein’s own router) and
would like something that won’t throttle throughput unduly. Would prefer
not to pay the thick end of £200 (which is what my system costs now).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: mesh system recommendations

<uen3v6$s51t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14259&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14259

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: mesh system recommendations
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 16:32:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:IyKHBvcGg53NVQ3R6hccvap0nd0=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 16:32 UTC

Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any recommendations for mesh systems? We have a BT Whole home mesh system
> with 3 nodes which we’re very happy with but that was bought a few years
> ago when there wasn’t much choice. Now there are a lot more options at all
> sorts of price points.
>
> My son-in-law has a 300Mbps fibre connection (with Zein’s own router) and
> would like something that won’t throttle throughput unduly. Would prefer
> not to pay the thick end of £200 (which is what my system costs now).
>
> Tim

There are quite a number on the market. I use Linksys Velop, but it’s
probably not as cheap as you wish. The key parameter seems to be the number
of radios within the device. You need three. That’s two to radiate to
devices on 2.4 and 5GHz, and a third 5GHz to run a private link to join the
devices together. Some of the cheaper ones use two and share the 5GHz
between devices and the mesh.

Re: mesh system recommendations

<kn8n2cFanupU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14261&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14261

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:54:21 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:54 UTC

Tweed wrote:

> The key parameter seems to be the number of radios within the device.
> You need three.

Unless you have wired backhaul from all APs to the router, in which case
two radios per AP is fine.

Re: mesh system recommendations

<uen8r6$t2oa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14262&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14262

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:55:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cHp9ptRASHszg8M4cCjhLLQQwAo=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:55 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Tweed wrote:
>
>> The key parameter seems to be the number of radios within the device.
>> You need three.
>
> Unless you have wired backhaul from all APs to the router, in which case
> two radios per AP is fine.

That’s not really a mesh system is it?

Re: mesh system recommendations

<uena03$t944$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14263&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14263

From: nix...@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:15:31 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 18:15 UTC

On 23/09/2023 16:28, Tim+ wrote:

> Any recommendations for mesh systems? We have a BT Whole home mesh system
> with 3 nodes which we’re very happy with but that was bought a few years
> ago when there wasn’t much choice. Now there are a lot more options at all
> sorts of price points.
>
> My son-in-law has a 300Mbps fibre connection (with Zein’s own router) and
> would like something that won’t throttle throughput unduly. Would prefer
> not to pay the thick end of £200 (which is what my system costs now).

I have Tenda MW3 to reach through several thick walls, at low cost.
No problems, but I've no experience of another mesh to compare it with.

Re: mesh system recommendations

<xn0o76t884ndxpp000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14264&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14264

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 23 Sep 2023 19:03:48 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:03 UTC

On 23/09/2023 in message <uena03$t944$1@dont-email.me> Nick Finnigan wrote:

>On 23/09/2023 16:28, Tim+ wrote:
>>
>>Any recommendations for mesh systems? We have a BT Whole home mesh system
>>with 3 nodes which we’re very happy with but that was bought a few years
>>ago when there wasn’t much choice. Now there are a lot more options at
>>all
>>sorts of price points.
>>
>>My son-in-law has a 300Mbps fibre connection (with Zein’s own router)
>>and
>>would like something that won’t throttle throughput unduly. Would
>>prefer
>>not to pay the thick end of £200 (which is what my system costs now).
>>

>I have Tenda MW3 to reach through several thick walls, at low cost.
>No problems, but I've no experience of another mesh to compare it with.

I have a Tenda Nova MW6-3 purchased in January 2022 that has worked
extremely well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077HTZ4TT/

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not

Re: mesh system recommendations

<1830760384.717190282.461499.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14265&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14265

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 23 Sep 2023 19:31:58 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:31 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
> On 23/09/2023 in message <uena03$t944$1@dont-email.me> Nick Finnigan wrote:
>
>> On 23/09/2023 16:28, Tim+ wrote:
>>>
>>> Any recommendations for mesh systems? We have a BT Whole home mesh system
>>> with 3 nodes which we’re very happy with but that was bought a few years
>>> ago when there wasn’t much choice. Now there are a lot more options at
>>> all
>>> sorts of price points.
>>>
>>> My son-in-law has a 300Mbps fibre connection (with Zein’s own router)
>>> and
>>> would like something that won’t throttle throughput unduly. Would
>>> prefer
>>> not to pay the thick end of £200 (which is what my system costs now).
>>>

>> I have Tenda MW3 to reach through several thick walls, at low cost.
>> No problems, but I've no experience of another mesh to compare it with.
>
> I have a Tenda Nova MW6-3 purchased in January 2022 that has worked
> extremely well:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077HTZ4TT/

Cheers. Looks like the right price point anyway! ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: mesh system recommendations

<kn96jgFd1aaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14268&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14268

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 23:19:26 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 22:19 UTC

On 23/09/2023 20:03, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 23/09/2023 in message <uena03$t944$1@dont-email.me> Nick Finnigan wrote:
>
>> On 23/09/2023 16:28, Tim+ wrote:
>>>
>>> Any recommendations for mesh systems? We have a BT Whole home mesh
>>> system
>>> with 3 nodes which we’re very happy with but that was bought a few years
>>> ago when there wasn’t much choice. Now there are a lot more options
>>> at all
>>> sorts of price points.
>>>
>>> My son-in-law has a 300Mbps fibre connection (with Zein’s own router)
>>> and
>>> would like something that won’t throttle throughput unduly.  Would
>>> prefer
>>> not to pay the thick end of £200 (which is what my system costs now).
>>>

>> I have Tenda MW3 to reach through several thick walls, at low cost.
>> No problems, but I've no experience of another mesh to compare it with.
>
> I have a Tenda Nova MW6-3 purchased in January 2022 that has worked
> extremely well:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077HTZ4TT/

Looks good. Do all the nodes have ethernet ports in addition to WiFi?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: mesh system recommendations

<xn0o77p5y5dl4ka003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14269&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14269

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 24 Sep 2023 07:17:14 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 07:17 UTC

On 23/09/2023 in message <kn96jgFd1aaU1@mid.individual.net> Roger Mills
wrote:

>>I have a Tenda Nova MW6-3 purchased in January 2022 that has worked
>>extremely well:
>>
>>https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077HTZ4TT/
>>

>Looks good. Do all the nodes have ethernet ports in addition to WiFi?

Yes. I got it mainly to give me wired connections to HiFi kit so I
wouldn't have to run cables. I just feed th nodes into a switch.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

Re: mesh system recommendations

<ueotnc$19l9p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14270&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14270

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 08:58:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:CPkpnC7vkyLf6FnDIu60NbjVJew=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 08:58 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
> On 23/09/2023 in message <kn96jgFd1aaU1@mid.individual.net> Roger Mills
> wrote:
>
>>> I have a Tenda Nova MW6-3 purchased in January 2022 that has worked
>>> extremely well:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077HTZ4TT/
>>>

>> Looks good. Do all the nodes have ethernet ports in addition to WiFi?
>
> Yes. I got it mainly to give me wired connections to HiFi kit so I
> wouldn't have to run cables. I just feed th nodes into a switch.

The OP intimated that speed might be an important factor as well as price.
It might be worth reading this

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/tenda-nova-mw6

Re: mesh system recommendations

<knamrdFkjq5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14271&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14271

From: nin...@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 13:02:52 +0100
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 12:02 UTC

On 23 Sep 2023 17:55, Tweed wrote:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> Tweed wrote:
>>
>>> The key parameter seems to be the number of radios within the device.
>>> You need three.
>>
>> Unless you have wired backhaul from all APs to the router, in which case
>> two radios per AP is fine.
>>

> That's not really a mesh system is it?

It can be. If there is overlap between "APs" and there is handover
and beam-forming etc then it is a mesh if the discs co-operate much
like a cell system.

Re: mesh system recommendations

<e6ea24d5-e500-4853-b11d-881698d6ee22n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14278&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14278

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 05:15:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:15 UTC

On Saturday, 23 September 2023 at 18:55:53 UTC+1, Tweed wrote:
> Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> > Tweed wrote:
> >
> >> The key parameter seems to be the number of radios within the device.
> >> You need three.
> >
> > Unless you have wired backhaul from all APs to the router, in which case
> > two radios per AP is fine.
> >
> That’s not really a mesh system is it?

Well maybe wired it is.

Re: mesh system recommendations

<kngc7gFi61rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14281&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14281

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:38:22 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 15:38 UTC

On 24/09/2023 08:17, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 23/09/2023 in message <kn96jgFd1aaU1@mid.individual.net> Roger Mills
> wrote:
>
>>> I have a Tenda Nova MW6-3 purchased in January 2022 that has worked
>>> extremely well:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077HTZ4TT/
>>>

>> Looks good. Do all the nodes have ethernet ports in addition to WiFi?
>
> Yes. I got it mainly to give me wired connections to HiFi kit so I
> wouldn't have to run cables. I just feed th nodes into a switch.

Excellent - thanks.

Another question if I may: Do you use the primary node in addition to
your ISP-provided router, or instead of it.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: mesh system recommendations

<xn0o7awvm8s9s5y00b@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14282&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14282

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 26 Sep 2023 16:31:37 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:31 UTC

On 26/09/2023 in message <kngc7gFi61rU1@mid.individual.net> Roger Mills
wrote:

>On 24/09/2023 08:17, Jeff Gaines wrote:

>>>Looks good. Do all the nodes have ethernet ports in addition to WiFi?
>>
>>Yes. I got it mainly to give me wired connections to HiFi kit so I
>>wouldn't have to run cables. I just feed th nodes into a switch.
>>

>Excellent - thanks.
>
>Another question if I may: Do you use the primary node in addition to your
>ISP-provided router, or instead of it.

I use the Tenda in bridge mode so my ISP's router provides DHCP, picks up
the signal and passes it to the Tenda for distribution.

I am not that technical when it comes to the Internet - the manual is
2,257 KB, if your email address is OK I could email it to you?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I was standing in the park wondering why Frisbees got bigger as they get

Re: mesh system recommendations

<uev2jl$2jhd6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14283&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14283

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 17:58:21 +0100
 by: Graham J - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:58 UTC

Roger Mills wrote:

[snip]

A proper mesh system needs a wired backhaul from each node to the
router, and to the control node which manages the others so the node
with the strongest wireless connection to a client is configured to
communicate with that client. This is dynamic so as a client moves
about the control node identifies the best node and reconfigures things
accordingly.

If the router has a WiFi component it should be disabled. However there
are mesh systems where the router contains the WiFi control function.

Done properly it can work well. Probably not suited to the domestic
user - neither in price nor the skill needed.

--
Graham J

Re: mesh system recommendations

<kngh1cFja1iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14284&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14284

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:00:27 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 17:00 UTC

On 26/09/2023 17:31, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 26/09/2023 in message <kngc7gFi61rU1@mid.individual.net> Roger Mills
> wrote:
>
>> On 24/09/2023 08:17, Jeff Gaines wrote:

>>> Yes. I got it mainly to give me wired connections to HiFi kit so I
>>> wouldn't have to run cables. I just feed th nodes into a switch.
>>>

>> Excellent - thanks.
>>
>> Another question if I may: Do you use the primary node in addition to
>> your ISP-provided router, or instead of it.
>
> I use the Tenda in bridge mode so my ISP's router provides DHCP, picks
> up the signal and passes it to the Tenda for distribution.
>
> I am not that technical when it comes to the Internet - the manual is
> 2,257 KB, if your email address is OK I could email it to you?

that would be good - thanks. The email address should work ok.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: mesh system recommendations

<xn0o7azqi8w4bxf00c@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14285&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14285

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 26 Sep 2023 18:19:22 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:19 UTC

On 26/09/2023 in message <kngh1cFja1iU1@mid.individual.net> Roger Mills
wrote:

>>I am not that technical when it comes to the Internet - the manual is
>>2,257 KB, if your email address is OK I could email it to you?
>>

>that would be good - thanks. The email address should work ok.

On its way :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his

Re: mesh system recommendations

<uevi7a$2mbgl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14286&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14286

From: nix...@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 22:24:59 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 21:24 UTC

On 26/09/2023 17:58, Graham J wrote:
> Roger Mills wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> A proper mesh system needs a wired backhaul from each node to the router,
> and to the control node which manages the others so the node with the
> strongest wireless connection to a client is configured to communicate with
> that client.  This is dynamic so as a client moves about the control node
> identifies the best node and reconfigures things accordingly.
>
> If the router has a WiFi component it should be disabled.  However there
> are mesh systems where the router contains the WiFi control function.
>
> Done properly it can work well.  Probably not suited to the domestic user -
> neither in price nor the skill needed.

I have the 3 Tenda MW3 nodes, with the primary node wired to the router,
and have no problem with wifi from the router as well as the mesh. Nearby
TVs etc. can connect to the router, phones or remote devices connect to the
mesh. No additional setup needed for the router, standard setup for MW3.
Wifi speed exceeds the 40Mbps for FTTC.

Re: mesh system recommendations

<ujfkmj$agqv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14565&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14565

From: nix...@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 12:50:28 +0000
 by: Nick Finnigan - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 12:50 UTC

On 23/09/2023 20:31, Tim+ wrote:
> Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

>>> I have Tenda MW3 to reach through several thick walls, at low cost.
>>> No problems, but I've no experience of another mesh to compare it with.
>>
>> I have a Tenda Nova MW6-3 purchased in January 2022 that has worked
>> extremely well:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077HTZ4TT/
>>

> Cheers. Looks like the right price point anyway! ;-)

It may no longer be relevant to you, but BT are offering me Fibre 1 with
complete wifi for £29.99 (£34.99 after 24 months).

Re: mesh system recommendations

<ks13r1F37h6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14566&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14566

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:04:30 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 13:04 UTC

Nick Finnigan wrote:

> BT are offering me Fibre 1 with complete wifi for £29.99 (£34.99 after
> 24 months).

Be aware that BT's recent policy seems to be that if/when you stop being
a customer they require the router/mesh-wifi kit is returned within 60
days, or you get charged ...

Re: mesh system recommendations

<ujhqt0$os1d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14567&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14567

From: nix...@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:48:33 +0000
 by: Nick Finnigan - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:48 UTC

On 20/11/2023 13:04, Andy Burns wrote:
> Nick Finnigan wrote:
>
>> BT are offering me Fibre 1 with complete wifi for £29.99 (£34.99 after 24
>> months).
>
> Be aware that BT's recent policy seems to be that if/when you stop being a
> customer they require the router/mesh-wifi kit is returned within 60 days,
> or you get charged ...

"you'll need to return the Wi-Fi discus within 30 days or you'll be charged
£30 for each disc."

https://www.bt.com/help/bt-halo/what-is-complete-wi-fi-

Re: mesh system recommendations

<ks39icFkgnpU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14568&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14568

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:54:37 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:54 UTC

Nick Finnigan wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Be aware that BT's recent policy seems to be that if/when you stop
>> being a customer they require the router/mesh-wifi kit is returned
>> within 60 days, or you get charged ...
>
> "you'll need to return the Wi-Fi discus within 30 days or you'll be
> charged £30 for each disc."
>
> https://www.bt.com/help/bt-halo/what-is-complete-wi-fi-

<https://www.bt.com/help/tv/how-to-return-and-recycle-your-bt-broadband-hub-and-bt-tv-box-fo>

Arguing the toss with BT whether they mean 30 days or 60 days is left as
an exercise for the reader ...

Re: mesh system recommendations

<ks6dvjFg6bdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14569&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14569

From: nin...@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:28:18 +0000
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:28 UTC

On 21 Nov 2023 08:54, Andy Burns wrote:
> Nick Finnigan wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> Be aware that BT's recent policy seems to be that if/when you stop
>>> being a customer they require the router/mesh-wifi kit is returned
>>> within 60 days, or you get charged ...
>>
>> "you'll need to return the Wi-Fi discus within 30 days or you'll be
>> charged £30 for each disc."
>>
>> https://www.bt.com/help/bt-halo/what-is-complete-wi-fi-
>
> <https://www.bt.com/help/tv/how-to-return-and-recycle-your-bt-broadband-hub-and-bt-tv-box-fo>
>
> Arguing the toss with BT whether they mean 30 days or 60 days is left as
> an exercise for the reader ...

Other warning - it looks like you can no longer buy additional discs
beyond the 3 in Halo

Re: mesh system recommendations

<2BycnadhHowvT_z4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14574&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14574

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 10:55:44 +0000
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
 by: NY - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 10:55 UTC

On 20/11/2023 12:50, Nick Finnigan wrote:
> On 23/09/2023 20:31, Tim+ wrote:
>> Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

>>> I have a Tenda Nova MW6-3 purchased in January 2022 that has worked
>>> extremely well:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077HTZ4TT/

My experience with mesh networks (Linksys Velop) is they it works very
well, with seamless hand-off from one node to another as you take a
phone or laptop around the house. But... it is let down very badly by
the time it takes to get the remote nodes talking to the central one
after a power cut.

The problems is that 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signals have different ranges and
are attenuated differently by walls. The backhaul (node-to-node) is 5
GHz for speed, but if you position nodes so they are all in range of the
parent node, the 2.4 GHz networks overlap and the devices take ages to
reconnect if they are all turned on simultaneously after a power cut.
Sometimes they never manage to, even after a couple of hours, and it is
necessary to intervene by turning off all the remote nodes and then turn
them on in sequence.

It would be easier if I didn't need 2.4 GHz for older device and for
extra range from device to node, or if 2.4 GHz could be turned on
selectively (eg at Node 1 but not at any other nodes) but that's not
possible with Velop.

The alternative is to run Cat 5 (etc) cable from the router to the
remote nodes, but that has the problem of running cable up walls into
the loft and then down the walls to the nodes - which is unsightly.
Alternatively you can run cables round the edge of skirting boards,
tucked into the end of carpets, but sod's law says that there's a
hardwood floor in the way which has no carpet to hide the cable :-(
Hence the reason we use mesh network with node-to-node comms by wifi
rather than Ethernet.