Acceptance testing: An unsuccessful attempt to find bugs.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Windows 10/11

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 10/11Jeff Gaines
`* Re: Windows 10/11Andy Burns
 `* Re: Windows 10/11Jeff Gaines
  `* Re: Windows 10/11Jeff Gaines
   +* Re: Windows 10/11Jeff Gaines
   |`* Re: Windows 10/11Jaimie Vandenbergh
   | `- Re: Windows 10/11Jeff Gaines
   `* Re: Windows 10/11Andy Burns
    `- Re: Windows 10/11Jeff Gaines

1
Windows 10/11

<xn0n3w55hv2kbks02c@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1448&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1448

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Windows 10/11
Date: 8 Oct 2021 15:08:45 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 15:08 UTC

I decided I'd have a look at Windows 11 on a laptop that I don't use as it
won't run Win 8.1.

I set up secure boot and did a clean install of Win 10 letting it set up
what it wanted where it wanted.

I signed on with my MSFT account.

Problem 1 I can't use remote desktop to my desktop which runs Win 8.1
using the old BIOS whatever it's called and MBR. It doesn't like my user
name and password, is this a feature?

It updated itself to Win 11 over the Internet but again I can't use RDP to
the desktop machine.

Any help appreciated!

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.

Re: Windows 10/11

<isb68uFcahnU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1449&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1449

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Windows 10/11
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 16:26:21 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 15:26 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I can't use remote desktop to my desktop which runs Win 8.1 using the
> old BIOS whatever it's called and MBR.

Can't see how BIOS/UEFI or MBR/GUID would have any impact on RDP

Is it the NLA/CredSSP encryption oracle problem, what's the exact error message
you get?

Re: Windows 10/11

<xn0n3wd2rvdbc8q02f@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1451&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1451

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 8 Oct 2021 20:09:42 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 20:09 UTC

On 08/10/2021 in message <isb68uFcahnU1@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
wrote:

>Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>>I can't use remote desktop to my desktop which runs Win 8.1 using the old
>>BIOS whatever it's called and MBR.
>
>Can't see how BIOS/UEFI or MBR/GUID would have any impact on RDP
>
>Is it the NLA/CredSSP encryption oracle problem, what's the exact error
>message you get?

I have no idea what "NLA/CredSSP encryption oracle problem" is!

RDP says: "The logon attempt failed".
File manager says: "The user name or password is incorrect".

So no connection to my desktop machine, it sees it on the network but
won't let me connect. It seems to be attempting to connect using my email
sign on (needed for Win 11) and even if I change it to user name/password
no go.

Interesting as well the Taskbar is now on the bottom of the screen, it can
be aligned left/middle/right but cannot be placed at the side. Coupled
with the moronic ribbon in Office we will eventually be trying to prepare
documents and spreadsheets using 2 lines in the middle of the screen that
are left for the user.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they

Re: Windows 10/11

<xn0n3xlfnwkca0c02i@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1453&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1453

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 9 Oct 2021 16:14:10 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 16:14 UTC

On 08/10/2021 in message <xn0n3wd2rvdbc8q02f@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>So no connection to my desktop machine, it sees it on the network but
>won't let me connect. It seems to be attempting to connect using my email
>sign on (needed for Win 11) and even if I change it to user name/password
>no go.

I switched to a user name/password logon and I was immediately able to
connect to my other machines on the network and use RDP. I wonder if
that's a bug or WAD?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his

Re: Windows 10/11

<xn0n3xtebwv5d8c02j@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1456&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1456

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 9 Oct 2021 21:16:43 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 21:16 UTC

On 09/10/2021 in message <xn0n3xlfnwkca0c02i@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>On 08/10/2021 in message <xn0n3wd2rvdbc8q02f@news.individual.net> Jeff
>Gaines wrote:
>
>>So no connection to my desktop machine, it sees it on the network but
>>won't let me connect. It seems to be attempting to connect using my email
>>sign on (needed for Win 11) and even if I change it to user name/password
>>no go.
>
>I switched to a user name/password logon and I was immediately able to
>connect to my other machines on the network and use RDP. I wonder if
>that's a bug or WAD?

I've discovered Classic Shell doesn't work on Win 11 and it's not being
developed any more.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they
will stop making it

Re: Windows 10/11

<iser8rF34q2U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1457&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1457

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 10 Oct 2021 00:43:07 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 00:43 UTC

On 9 Oct 2021 at 22:16:43 BST, ""Jeff Gaines""
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 09/10/2021 in message <xn0n3xlfnwkca0c02i@news.individual.net> Jeff
> Gaines wrote:
>
>> On 08/10/2021 in message <xn0n3wd2rvdbc8q02f@news.individual.net> Jeff
>> Gaines wrote:
>>
>>> So no connection to my desktop machine, it sees it on the network but
>>> won't let me connect. It seems to be attempting to connect using my email
>>> sign on (needed for Win 11) and even if I change it to user name/password
>>> no go.
>>
>> I switched to a user name/password logon and I was immediately able to
>> connect to my other machines on the network and use RDP. I wonder if
>> that's a bug or WAD?
>
> I've discovered Classic Shell doesn't work on Win 11 and it's not being
> developed any more.

Classic Shell was forked and is now Open Shell.
https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

It appears to be mushable into Windows 11 too with a bit of work -
https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/issues/856

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I think perhaps the most important problem is that we
are trying to understand the fundamental workings of

Re: Windows 10/11

<xn0n3ymmexhpjkm02k@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1458&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1458

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 10 Oct 2021 07:48:17 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 07:48 UTC

On 10/10/2021 in message <iser8rF34q2U1@mid.individual.net> Jaimie
Vandenbergh wrote:

>Classic Shell was forked and is now Open Shell.
>https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu
>
>It appears to be mushable into Windows 11 too with a bit of work -
>https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/issues/856

Brilliant, wasn't aware of that, thanks Jaimie :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those

Re: Windows 10/11

<isgintFcvv4U4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1461&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1461

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 17:29:46 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 16:29 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I switched to a user name/password logon

How else were you expecting to log on?

Re: Windows 10/11

<xn0n3z39yy48fpq02o@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1462&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1462

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 10 Oct 2021 18:18:50 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 18:18 UTC

On 10/10/2021 in message <isgintFcvv4U4@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
wrote:

>Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>>I switched to a user name/password logon
>
>How else were you expecting to log on?

The way Windows 11 requires you to do to set it up, Microsoft account
details. You can switch back one it's installed.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it