Love sometimes expresses itself in sacrifice. -- Kirk, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3220.3

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 system

SubjectAuthor
* Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 systemDavid
`* Re: Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 systemDavid
 +* Re: Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 systemDan
 |`- Re: Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 systemDavid
 `- Re: Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 systemDavid

1
Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 system

<isduhuFpon4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1454&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1454

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 system
Date: 9 Oct 2021 16:33:02 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 16:33 UTC

Just recorded some video on my Android phone which plays back fine on the
phone.
Copied the file to my W7 PC and although it will play via VLC it is jerky
and blurred.

Won't play the video at all with Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media
Player.

Searching so far suggest a codec problem, but there is no obvious fix.

VLC seems to want to update but when I say yes to a download it doesn't
seem to do anything.

I'm going to try a new install, but meanwhile is there a better MP4 player
than VLC?

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. system is vvvvvvvvvv

Re: Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 system

<ise10eFsmffU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1455&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1455

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 system
Date: 9 Oct 2021 17:14:54 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 17:14 UTC

On Sat, 09 Oct 2021 16:33:02 +0000, David wrote:

> Just recorded some video on my Android phone which plays back fine on
> the phone.
> Copied the file to my W7 PC and although it will play via VLC it is
> jerky and blurred.
>
> Won't play the video at all with Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media
> Player.
>
> Searching so far suggest a codec problem, but there is no obvious fix.
>
> VLC seems to want to update but when I say yes to a download it doesn't
> seem to do anything.
>
> I'm going to try a new install, but meanwhile is there a better MP4
> player than VLC?

Well, more or less solved it.

Nvidia GeForce GT 710
HWMonitor shows the GPU running flat out.
Full(ish) screen is worse than a smaller window.

Conclusion: video card lacks the required gonads to render the video
properly.

Next question is if it is worth upgrading the card, because potentially
expensive.
Have video cards moderated in price yet?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 system

<a795mglikauh5ou1rtups4mibdua46pgvh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1459&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1459

From: non...@none.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 09:32:17 +0100
 by: Dan - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 08:32 UTC

On 9 Oct 2021 17:14:54 GMT, David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Oct 2021 16:33:02 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> Just recorded some video on my Android phone which plays back fine on
>> the phone.
>> Copied the file to my W7 PC and although it will play via VLC it is
>> jerky and blurred.
>>
>> Won't play the video at all with Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media
>> Player.
>>
>> Searching so far suggest a codec problem, but there is no obvious fix.
>>
>> VLC seems to want to update but when I say yes to a download it doesn't
>> seem to do anything.
>>
>> I'm going to try a new install, but meanwhile is there a better MP4
>> player than VLC?
>
>Well, more or less solved it.
>
>Nvidia GeForce GT 710
>HWMonitor shows the GPU running flat out.
>Full(ish) screen is worse than a smaller window.
>
>Conclusion: video card lacks the required gonads to render the video
>properly.
>
>Next question is if it is worth upgrading the card, because potentially
>expensive.
>Have video cards moderated in price yet?
>
>Cheers
>

>Dave R
>
>--
>AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64

Have you looked on eBay or Gumtree?
Might find some bargains there.

Re: Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 system

<isg4poFsmffU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1460&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1460

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 10 Oct 2021 12:31:52 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 12:31 UTC

On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 09:32:17 +0100, Dan wrote:

> On 9 Oct 2021 17:14:54 GMT, David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 09 Oct 2021 16:33:02 +0000, David wrote:
>>
>>> Just recorded some video on my Android phone which plays back fine on
>>> the phone.
>>> Copied the file to my W7 PC and although it will play via VLC it is
>>> jerky and blurred.
>>>
>>> Won't play the video at all with Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media
>>> Player.
>>>
>>> Searching so far suggest a codec problem, but there is no obvious fix.
>>>
>>> VLC seems to want to update but when I say yes to a download it
>>> doesn't seem to do anything.
>>>
>>> I'm going to try a new install, but meanwhile is there a better MP4
>>> player than VLC?
>>
>>Well, more or less solved it.
>>
>>Nvidia GeForce GT 710 HWMonitor shows the GPU running flat out.
>>Full(ish) screen is worse than a smaller window.
>>
>>Conclusion: video card lacks the required gonads to render the video
>>properly.
>>
>>Next question is if it is worth upgrading the card, because potentially
>>expensive.
>>Have video cards moderated in price yet?
>>
>>Cheers
>>

>>Dave R
>>
>>--
>>AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64
>
> Have you looked on eBay or Gumtree?
> Might find some bargains there.

Reluctant to buy used because no guarantee.
Some have been abused for mining (although probably not at this end of the
performance range).

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Very blotchy playback using VLC on W7 system

<isje4nFtu67U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1464&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1464

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 11 Oct 2021 18:29:43 GMT
 by: David - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 18:29 UTC

On Sat, 09 Oct 2021 17:14:54 +0000, David wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Oct 2021 16:33:02 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> Just recorded some video on my Android phone which plays back fine on
>> the phone.
>> Copied the file to my W7 PC and although it will play via VLC it is
>> jerky and blurred.
>>
>> Won't play the video at all with Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media
>> Player.
>>
>> Searching so far suggest a codec problem, but there is no obvious fix.
>>
>> VLC seems to want to update but when I say yes to a download it doesn't
>> seem to do anything.
>>
>> I'm going to try a new install, but meanwhile is there a better MP4
>> player than VLC?
>
> Well, more or less solved it.
>
> Nvidia GeForce GT 710 HWMonitor shows the GPU running flat out.
> Full(ish) screen is worse than a smaller window.
>
> Conclusion: video card lacks the required gonads to render the video
> properly.
>
> Next question is if it is worth upgrading the card, because potentially
> expensive.
> Have video cards moderated in price yet?

Double confirmed because it plays smoothly on this Dell.

So not worth £100+ to upgrade the AMD.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)