From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Subject: A question of aesthetics
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 18:09:19 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 17:09 UTC

I'm still making my garden shed. The question is about the gable end
flashings/trims. These are made of galvanised iron.

https://i.ibb.co/BVmxZB9/IMG-20210920-164117.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/pW8bR2P/IMG-20210920-164157.jpg

The thing will be fairly visible once the garden's tidied up a bit. I
thought about a little trompe l'oeil on the doors (someone tried this
rather crudely in the past), or just painting the doors a solid colour.

But the gable end fascias. They look, to me, rather clumsy. Should they
be painted, perhaps scalloped, tapered or curved, or do they look OK as
they are? What d'you reckon?

Re: A question of aesthetics

<rYidnd6px9CRS9X8nZ2dnUU78IWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1463&group=uk.rec.gardening#1463

Subject: Re: A question of aesthetics
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 19:42:19 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 18:42 UTC

On 20/09/2021 18:09, Chris Bacon wrote:
> I'm still making my garden shed. The question is about the gable end
> flashings/trims. These are made of galvanised iron.
>
> https://i.ibb.co/BVmxZB9/IMG-20210920-164117.jpg
> https://i.ibb.co/pW8bR2P/IMG-20210920-164157.jpg
>
> The thing will be fairly visible once the garden's tidied up a bit. I
> thought about a little trompe l'oeil on the doors (someone tried this
> rather crudely in the past), or just painting the doors a solid colour.
>
> But the gable end fascias. They look, to me, rather clumsy. Should they
> be painted, perhaps scalloped, tapered or curved, or do they look OK as
> they are? What d'you reckon?

An application of one of those metal bluing solutions perhaps - make
them much darker but still leave a bit of "interest" in the lustre...

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: A question of aesthetics

<2pWdnXZ896XhYNX8nZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1464&group=uk.rec.gardening#1464

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
From: newsho...@stevejqr.plus.com (newshound)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 22:30:35 +0100
 by: newshound - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 21:30 UTC

On 20/09/2021 19:42, John Rumm wrote:
> On 20/09/2021 18:09, Chris Bacon wrote:
>> I'm still making my garden shed. The question is about the gable end
>> flashings/trims. These are made of galvanised iron.
>>
>> https://i.ibb.co/BVmxZB9/IMG-20210920-164117.jpg
>> https://i.ibb.co/pW8bR2P/IMG-20210920-164157.jpg
>>
>> The thing will be fairly visible once the garden's tidied up a bit. I
>> thought about a little trompe l'oeil on the doors (someone tried this
>> rather crudely in the past), or just painting the doors a solid colour.
>>
>> But the gable end fascias. They look, to me, rather clumsy. Should
>> they be painted, perhaps scalloped, tapered or curved, or do they look
>> OK as they are? What d'you reckon?
>
> An application of one of those metal bluing solutions perhaps - make
> them much darker but still leave a bit of "interest" in the lustre...

Not sure that will work on zinc, but a coloured varnish would.

Personally I think I might go for something like the "Victorian Railway
Station" look, either by sculpting or perhaps painting. Could go for
"fake cast iron" 3D effect by doing fretwork on timber or plywood,
painting that (say) dark green, and painting the metalwork underneath black.

Re: A question of aesthetics

<DPudnZ9yDPfauNT8nZ2dnUU78Y2dnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1465&group=uk.rec.gardening#1465

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 01:20:22 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 00:20 UTC

On 20/09/2021 22:30, newshound wrote:
> On 20/09/2021 19:42, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 20/09/2021 18:09, Chris Bacon wrote:
>>> I'm still making my garden shed. The question is about the gable end
>>> flashings/trims. These are made of galvanised iron.
>>>
>>> https://i.ibb.co/BVmxZB9/IMG-20210920-164117.jpg
>>> https://i.ibb.co/pW8bR2P/IMG-20210920-164157.jpg
>>>
>>> The thing will be fairly visible once the garden's tidied up a bit. I
>>> thought about a little trompe l'oeil on the doors (someone tried this
>>> rather crudely in the past), or just painting the doors a solid colour.
>>>
>>> But the gable end fascias. They look, to me, rather clumsy. Should
>>> they be painted, perhaps scalloped, tapered or curved, or do they
>>> look OK as they are? What d'you reckon?
>>
>> An application of one of those metal bluing solutions perhaps - make
>> them much darker but still leave a bit of "interest" in the lustre...
>>

> Not sure that will work on zinc, but a coloured varnish would.
>
> Personally I think I might go for something like the "Victorian Railway
> Station" look, either by sculpting or perhaps painting. Could go for
> "fake cast iron" 3D effect by doing fretwork on timber or plywood,
> painting that (say) dark green, and painting the metalwork underneath
> black.

You could get a decent effect by applying a "frame" to the front made
from architrave or similar, and painting that. It would echo the railway
station look :-)

--
Cheers,

John.