Life can be so tragic -- you're here today and here tomorrow.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Massive underperformance' ? Joe Root

SubjectAuthor
* Massive underperformance' — Joe RootRH
`* Re: Massive underperformance' ? Joe RootJohn Hall
 `* Re: Massive underperformance' — Joe Rootmike
  `* Re: Re: Massive underperformance' ? Joe RootJohn Hall
   `- Re: Massive underperformance' ? Joe RootMike Holmans

1
Massive underperformance' — Joe Root

<96a8c523-7e21-41df-9179-52100de26557n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14630&group=uk.sport.cricket#14630

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 06:45:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Massive_underperformance'_—_Joe_Root
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 13:45 UTC

Note: Time for Root to step down as England captain?
RH
'https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/06/13/england-vs-new-zealand-second-test-day-four-live-score-latest/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-onward-journey

by New Zealand
England vs New Zealand, second Test day four: live score and latest updates from Edgbaston
The winning runs were scored off Mark Wood's bowling

Josh Burrows
13 JUNE 2021 • 1:01PM
England v New Zealand
New Zealand win by 8 wickets
Date:10 June 2021
Match:2nd Test
Venue:Edgbaston, Birmingham
Start time:11:00
Umpires:Richard Illingworth / Richard Kettleborough
Toss:England won the toss and elected to bat.
England First Innings:
303 all out (101.0 overs)
Burns 81, Lawrence 81*

Boult (29-6-85-4), Henry (26-7-78-3)

New Zealand First Innings:
388 all out (119.1 overs)
Conway 80, Young 82, Taylor 80

Broad (23-8-48-4)

England Second Innings:
122 all out (41.1 overs)
Henry (12-2-36-3), Wagner (10-1-18-3)

New Zealand Second Innings:
41 for 2 (10.5 overs)

RH

Re: Massive underperformance' ? Joe Root

<fjdiXxB01ixgFwzc@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14634&group=uk.sport.cricket#14634

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Massive underperformance' ??? Joe Root
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 17:08:20 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 16:08 UTC

In message <96a8c523-7e21-41df-9179-52100de26557n@googlegroups.com>, RH
<anywhere156@gmail.com> writes
>Note: Time for Root to step down as England captain?

No. I don't see that improving things. Also what credible alternative is
there? Stokes is a good right-hand man, but I think he's too emotionally
involved to make a good captain. Buttler has enough to do with his
batting and keeping. It's hard for a front-line pace bowler to captain,
and also Anderson and Broad are likely to be close enough to the end of
their careers for that to only be a stop-gap. Burns captains Surrey and
might do a decent job, but his place in the side isn't that secure. The
left-field solution would be Eoin Morgan, but I hardly think you'd
approve of that, and anyway he probably wouldn't want to do it, as well
as having plenty on his plate with the white-ball sides.

I do fear that, with 5 Tests against India coming up and then the Ashes,
England could conceivably lose eleven Tests in a row.
--
John Hall "Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always
pays off now." Anon

Re: Massive underperformance' — Joe Root

<baa93a08-e529-4e16-814d-110923f96227n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14643&group=uk.sport.cricket#14643

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 15:35:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sun, 13 Jun 2021 22:35 UTC

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 5:19:02 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <96a8c523-7e21-41df...@googlegroups.com>, RH
> <anywh...@gmail.com> writes
> >Note: Time for Root to step down as England captain?
> No. I don't see that improving things. Also what credible alternative is
> there? Stokes is a good right-hand man, but I think he's too emotionally
> involved to make a good captain. Buttler has enough to do with his
> batting and keeping. It's hard for a front-line pace bowler to captain,
> and also Anderson and Broad are likely to be close enough to the end of
> their careers for that to only be a stop-gap. Burns captains Surrey and
> might do a decent job, but his place in the side isn't that secure. The
> left-field solution would be Eoin Morgan, but I hardly think you'd
> approve of that, and anyway he probably wouldn't want to do it, as well
> as having plenty on his plate with the white-ball sides.
>
> I do fear that, with 5 Tests against India coming up and then the Ashes,
> England could conceivably lose eleven Tests in a row.

that would be truly awful. but unless some other batter outperforms
root in those 11 tests, i dont see there is an alternative to root as cap.

I see that a number of commentators etc are also calling for Malans recall.
hes not young so it might be only a stopgap measure for this testing
period while some of the youngsters like Crawley Pope and Lawrence can
hopefully learn to bat on the big stage. Lawrence is still learning I think theres
hope there for the future. Pope clearly has the ability but seems to have gone
backwards since that 100 in RSA, now hes unable to get past 30. Crawley
made that massive 267 but also seems to have regressed since. However
Gooch and Gatting were 2 of our best bats in the 1980s, and they took
ages to score a test 100 [i dont have the stats, but I'm pretty sure it was a lot
more tests than any of Burns & co, Lawrence of course hasnt got 100 yet].

The trouble is that we have a lot of new batters all trying to succeed at the
same time. Hopefully things will improve when some of those on bubble
leave/quarantine return.

But England really need a no3 who can see off the new ball so Root isnt always
coming in before 10 overs are out. that said England managed to get to
72 before losing their 1st wkt on the first day and still managed to collapse.
We havnt really had a good no3 since trott retired.
They also need a more attacking RHB to partner Burns, cos he and Sibs allow the
the bowlers to dominate too often and when they try to attack they get out.

mike

Re: Re: Massive underperformance' ? Joe Root

<J0K9evBXN3xgFwgG@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14661&group=uk.sport.cricket#14661

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Re: Massive underperformance' ??? Joe Root
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 16:18:47 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 15:18 UTC

In message <baa93a08-e529-4e16-814d-110923f96227n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>I see that a number of commentators etc are also calling for Malans
>recall. hes not young so it might be only a stopgap measure for this
>testing period while some of the youngsters like Crawley Pope and
>Lawrence can hopefully learn to bat on the big stage.
<snip>

Yes, Malan seems to be flavour of the month all of a sudden. He's been
making runs in the Championship and he made a fine hundred on the last
tour of Australia, but his Test average is only 28, lower than any of
the batsmen that he's being proposed as a replacement for.
--
John Hall "Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always
pays off now." Anon

Re: Massive underperformance' ? Joe Root

<3vtecgdd2gu4q9l7dpe3b0oeo796tekv66@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14662&group=uk.sport.cricket#14662

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 16:41:38 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 15:41 UTC

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 16:18:47 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <baa93a08-e529-4e16-814d-110923f96227n@googlegroups.com>,
>mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>I see that a number of commentators etc are also calling for Malans
>>recall. hes not young so it might be only a stopgap measure for this
>>testing period while some of the youngsters like Crawley Pope and
>>Lawrence can hopefully learn to bat on the big stage.
><snip>
>
>Yes, Malan seems to be flavour of the month all of a sudden. He's been
>making runs in the Championship and he made a fine hundred on the last
>tour of Australia, but his Test average is only 28, lower than any of
>the batsmen that he's being proposed as a replacement for.

Crawley's average is heavily influenced by his 267, when he was using
a different technique. With his current static stance, not moving
before the ball is released, he has yet to reach double figures.

Crawley needs to go and work on his game, because his current
technique doesn't work.

Cheers,

Mike