"If we were meant to fly, we wouldn't keep losing our luggage."

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: FORscan

SubjectAuthor
* FORscanlindsay
+* FORscanNoddy
|+- FORscanjonz@ nothere.com
|+* FORscanClocky
||`* FORscanXeno
|| `* FORscanlindsay
||  +* FORscanNoddy
||  |+- FORscanXeno
||  |+- FORscanXeno
||  |+* FORscanClocky
||  ||+- FORscanXeno
||  ||`- FORscanYosemite Sam
||  |`- FORscanalvey
||  `* FORscanClocky
||   +- FORscanalvey
||   +- FORscanXeno
||   `* FORscanlindsay
||    +* FORscanNoddy
||    |`* FORscanalvey
||    | `- FORscanXeno
||    `* FORscanClocky
||     `- FORscanlindsay
|`* FORscanlindsay
| +- FORscanNoddy
| `* FORscanDaryl
|  `* FORscanlindsay
|   +* FORscanDaryl
|   |`* FORscanNoddy
|   | `* FORscanDaryl
|   |  +* FORscanNoddy
|   |  |`- FORscanYosemite Sam
|   |  `- FORscanlindsay
|   +- FORscanYosemite Sam
|   `* FORscanClocky
|    `* FORscanYosemite Sam
|     `* FORscanClocky
|      `* FORscanalvey
|       `- FORscanClocky
+* FORscanYosemite Sam
|`- FORscanlindsay
`* FORscanJohn_H
 `* FORscanlindsay
  `* FORscanDaryl
   +* FORscanlindsay
   |`- FORscanNoddy
   `* FORscanJohn_H
    +- FORscanDaryl
    `* FORscanNoddy
     `- FORscanXeno

Pages:12
Re: FORscan

<313hK.22422$j0D5.16050@fx09.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14683&group=aus.cars#14683

Subject: Re: FORscan
Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 19:30:37 +1000
 by: lindsay - Wed, 18 May 2022 09:30 UTC

On 18/05/2022 8:56 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 17/5/2022 7:01 pm, lindsay wrote:

> My old Hilux had a door open warning chime but disabling it was very
> simple, just find the chime speaker which is located under the dash near
> the steering column and pull the plug, might be just as easy to do the
> same on the Ranger.

I'd bet it's as simple as a torch and some long pointy-nosed pliers, but
then I wonder what will *NOT* work because of it.... I'm happy enough
with the visual cues on the dash, but the incessant 'ding ding' is just
silly.

Re: FORscan

<753hK.15173$zVe6.9611@fx43.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14684&group=aus.cars#14684

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 19:34:58 +1000
 by: lindsay - Wed, 18 May 2022 09:34 UTC

On 18/05/2022 9:04 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 17/5/2022 7:26 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
> It monitors the tyres via the ABS speed sensors, if one wheel turns at a
> different speed to another it assumes that one tyre is down on pressure.
> Ford may do it differently so worth checking how the Ford tyre
> monitoring system works.

Unsure.. someone suggested the sensors were bonded to the inside of the
rims, and tyre fitters were knocking them off. I have a Jamec-Pem
inflator at work which sees the light of day every 4-6 months... seems
what the TPMS says agrees with the tyre inflator. My mate will know more....

Re: FORscan

<t62fia$icc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14685&group=aus.cars#14685

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 19:51:06 +1000
 by: Noddy - Wed, 18 May 2022 09:51 UTC

On 18/05/2022 7:34 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 9:04 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 17/5/2022 7:26 pm, lindsay wrote:
>>
>> It monitors the tyres via the ABS speed sensors, if one wheel turns at
>> a different speed to another it assumes that one tyre is down on
>> pressure.
>> Ford may do it differently so worth checking how the Ford tyre
>> monitoring system works.
>
> Unsure.. someone suggested the sensors were bonded to the inside of the
> rims, and tyre fitters were knocking them off. I have a Jamec-Pem
> inflator at work which sees the light of day every 4-6 months... seems
> what the TPMS says agrees with the tyre inflator. My mate will know
> more....

They are bonded to the inside of the rim for the most part, and if
you're a clueless tyre fitter who attempts to break the bead with the
valve stem in the wrong place you will damage them.

They carry their own small button battery which requires replacement
every 3 to 5 years.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: FORscan

<t62g7b$o4f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14687&group=aus.cars#14687

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 20:02:16 +1000
 by: Noddy - Wed, 18 May 2022 10:02 UTC

On 18/05/2022 7:23 pm, lindsay wrote:

>>> Sorry, *shit-fer-brains*, do you mean me?  (spectacular killfail fail
>>> right there, shit-fer-brains) As a previous owner of a Navara, I
>>> found the model I bought 11 years ago to be exactly what was
>>> advertised. No issues whatsoever. No timing chain problems, no bent
>>> chassis problems; all of which seem to be a dream made up by the
>>> likes of the Toyota fanbois...
>>
>> There is a reason Navara sales have tanked.
>
> There are *PLENTY* of reasons why Navara sales have tanked. The *two*
> reasons you supplied, and shit-fer-brains agreed with (Wot a surprise!)
> Timing chains haven't manifested themselves in Navara's in Aus since
> 2010 (says 4 Nissan mechanics. Names and numbers available) 12 years
> ago, and the timing chain issue was sorted with the YD25 engine, which
> mine had, as I have explained before. The bent chassis were put down to
> Spanish built Navara's on salted roads in Europe, which were never sold
> here, as you would/should know.  *The Thai built* Navara's sold in
> Australia have had no such issues.

We all know that reality is an optional extra for these fucktards :)

> I would offer that Navara sales have "tanked" in Australia in the face
> of more upmarket utes being available. Not offering a cab-chassis model
> for 8 years, poor fit-out and finish of the RX model (rubber mats for
> fucks sake.), poor fuel economy, playing catch-up with other brands...
> (in my case, as I have explained previously, I had 4 Ford utes, until I
> needed a 4 door 4wd cab chassis; Toyota were *way* overpriced, and their
> sales droid had a very poor attitude, Ford didnt do one, Mitsubishi were
> like a MG.. cheap and nasty. Chose the Navara, and was *trouble free*
> for 10 years. One code popped up and dissapeared. In 10 years. Only sold
> it because I wanted to retire with a 2 year old vehicle, not a 12 year
> old one. Tax benefits to buy a new bus at the time too certainly
> helped... :-D

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The presence of better equipped
models has stolen a lot of the market, but apparently the new Pro-4X is
doing well.

According to Vfacts, Nissan managed to sell just over 15 thousand
Navaras in Australia last year, which puts it on a par with Mazda's
BT50. Not market leading by any stretch, but calling it "tanked" is
pulling with both hands :)

>> Too many previous owners got burned - big time.
>
> So you say. Not this one, and to me, thats all that matters. A previous
> owner, happy with his purchase. No bent chassis, no rattly timing chain.

He wouldn't know if his own head was on fire.

> In fact, the guy who bought it couldn't believe his luck. He went over
> it for an hour, and all he could find was the rear spring shackle
> rubbers. Which the mob who did the roadworthy picked as well. That was
> all it needed for the roady. If Nissan had produced a Navara with a cab
> chassis, a bigger screen, carpet, bluetooth stereo with DAB+, and things
> like adaptive cruise, I probably would have bought one. But they didnt
> at the time. Their loss. Fords gain. *THATS* why their sales "tanked" in
> the face of their opposition. IMHO.

Agreed. Most other models have had a minor update in the last couple of
years. Nissan is only just now bringing out the Pro-Ex to compete. Next
year they release their new Nissan-Mitsubishi cross platform model, and
we'll see how that goes.

All this talk from the irrelevant FLC about Navara unreliability has
been nothing but bullshit. You've had no trouble, I've had no trouble
and I know plenty of people in exactly the same boat.

Says a hell of a lot for how much they think they know :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: FORscan

<jek7ndFr7doU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14690&group=aus.cars#14690

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 22:39:07 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 18 May 2022 12:39 UTC

On 18/5/2022 7:30 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 8:56 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 17/5/2022 7:01 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>> My old Hilux had a door open warning chime but disabling it was very
>> simple, just find the chime speaker which is located under the dash
>> near the steering column and pull the plug, might be just as easy to
>> do the same on the Ranger.
>

> I'd bet it's as simple as a torch and some long pointy-nosed pliers, but
> then I wonder what will *NOT* work because of it.... I'm happy enough
> with the visual cues on the dash, but the incessant 'ding ding' is just
> silly.

Since you would be just disconnecting a speaker it shouldn't affect
anything else, only one way to find out, easy enough to just plug it
back in.

--
Daryl

Re: FORscan

<jekh1nFsus7U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14695&group=aus.cars#14695

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 01:18:42 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Wed, 18 May 2022 15:18 UTC

On 18/05/2022 7:30 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 8:56 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 17/5/2022 7:01 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>> My old Hilux had a door open warning chime but disabling it was very
>> simple, just find the chime speaker which is located under the dash
>> near the steering column and pull the plug, might be just as easy to
>> do the same on the Ranger.
>

> I'd bet it's as simple as a torch and some long pointy-nosed pliers,
> but then I wonder what will *NOT* work because of it.... I'm happy
> enough with the visual cues on the dash, but the incessant 'ding ding'
> is just silly.

if it's just a tiny speaker, remove it, measure it's resistance, and
solder a resister of the same value across the wires to trick the system
into thinking all is well

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

Q:When is noddy not lying?
A:Anytime his lips aren't moving!

FUCK PUTIN!!

Re: FORscan

<t6363l$ist$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14697&group=aus.cars#14697

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 00:15:43 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 18 May 2022 16:15 UTC

On 18/05/2022 5:30 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 8:56 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 17/5/2022 7:01 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>> My old Hilux had a door open warning chime but disabling it was very
>> simple, just find the chime speaker which is located under the dash
>> near the steering column and pull the plug, might be just as easy to
>> do the same on the Ranger.
>

> I'd bet it's as simple as a torch and some long pointy-nosed pliers, but
> then I wonder what will *NOT* work because of it.... I'm happy enough
> with the visual cues on the dash, but the incessant 'ding ding' is just
> silly.

It just as likely to be surface mounted on a PCB for the cluster or similar.

I'd unplug it where possible or desolder it and turf it - though on the
latter you wouldn't want to do that whilst the car is under warranty.

Re: FORscan

<durs5nesupd3$.1aiicjoxnhvqe.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14700&group=aus.cars#14700

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 07:31:02 +1000
 by: alvey - Wed, 18 May 2022 21:31 UTC

On Wed, 18 May 2022 20:02:16 +1000, Noddy wrote:

> All this talk from the irrelevant FLC about Navara unreliability has
> been nothing but bullshit. You've had no trouble, I've had no trouble
> and I know plenty of people in exactly the same boat.

Sure you do Fraudster.

Anyhoo, it's such an exercise in laughable transparency all these reasons
being put forward for buying a Ranga. The real reason is simply that
they're bigger, thus attracting the insecure, the aging, the failures and
those who can't drive.

alvey

Re: FORscan

<t63ovv$3sm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14701&group=aus.cars#14701

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 07:38:05 +1000
 by: Noddy - Wed, 18 May 2022 21:38 UTC

On 18/05/2022 10:39 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/5/2022 7:30 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> On 18/05/2022 8:56 am, Daryl wrote:
>>> On 17/5/2022 7:01 pm, lindsay wrote:
>>
>>> My old Hilux had a door open warning chime but disabling it was very
>>> simple, just find the chime speaker which is located under the dash
>>> near the steering column and pull the plug, might be just as easy to
>>> do the same on the Ranger.
>>

>> I'd bet it's as simple as a torch and some long pointy-nosed pliers,
>> but then I wonder what will *NOT* work because of it.... I'm happy
>> enough with the visual cues on the dash, but the incessant 'ding ding'
>> is just silly.
>>

> Since you would be just disconnecting a speaker it shouldn't affect
> anything else, only one way to find out, easy enough to just plug it
> back in.

Assuming it is a speaker. These days most audible warning devices are
electronic and are mounted in such positions that they're not easy to
get to. They're also usually multi function and you could find that
removing one not only kills the chimes you don't like, but also the ones
you do like front and rear proximity sensors for example.

If it were me and you had the choice I'd rather use Forscan to
permanently turn off the ones you want to.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: FORscan

<jel8bcF2ns4U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14703&group=aus.cars#14703

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 07:55:55 +1000
 by: Xeno - Wed, 18 May 2022 21:55 UTC

On 19/5/2022 7:31 am, alvey wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2022 20:02:16 +1000, Noddy wrote:
>

>> All this talk from the irrelevant FLC about Navara unreliability has
>> been nothing but bullshit. You've had no trouble, I've had no trouble
>> and I know plenty of people in exactly the same boat.
>
> Sure you do Fraudster.
>
> Anyhoo, it's such an exercise in laughable transparency all these reasons
> being put forward for buying a Ranga. The real reason is simply that
> they're bigger, thus attracting the insecure, the aging, the failures and
> those who can't drive.

Darren ticks all the above boxes, and then some.

And the real reason for *not* replacing it with a *Navara* is because
he's worked out the Navara is a POS, something the bulk of the ute
buying public *already knew*.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: FORscan

<t63uho$93r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14707&group=aus.cars#14707

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 07:12:56 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 18 May 2022 23:12 UTC

On 18/05/2022 5:23 pm, lindsay wrote:

"says 4 Nissan mechanics"

At the wreckers?

I'll rely on my own real world trade experience thanks.

Besides, if you were really interested in what mechanics had to say you
would be running the frauds wild theories past them for verification...
and give them all a good laugh like it does us.

Re: FORscan

<jelfcoF41s3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14709&group=aus.cars#14709

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 09:56:06 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 18 May 2022 23:56 UTC

On 19/5/2022 7:38 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 10:39 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> I'd bet it's as simple as a torch and some long pointy-nosed pliers,
>>> but then I wonder what will *NOT* work because of it.... I'm happy
>>> enough with the visual cues on the dash, but the incessant 'ding
>>> ding' is just silly.
>>>

>> Since you would be just disconnecting a speaker it shouldn't affect
>> anything else, only one way to find out, easy enough to just plug it
>> back in.
>
> Assuming it is a speaker. These days most audible warning devices are
> electronic and are mounted in such positions that they're not easy to
> get to. They're also usually multi function and you could find that
> removing one not only kills the chimes you don't like, but also the ones
> you do like front and rear proximity sensors for example.
>
> If it were me and you had the choice I'd rather use Forscan to
> permanently turn off the ones you want to.

That would be a better solution, disconnecting the speaker worked on the
older Hilux but maybe not on a newer car.
My MB has rear parking sensors and they work very well despite being
20yrs old, not long ago the sensors were going nuts when I was reversing
into my garage, I almost ignored them but got out to check and found
that I had forgotten about the things I had left on the garage floor so
some annoying beeps/chimes are worth having.

--
Daryl

Re: FORscan

<t644ss$vbq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14713&group=aus.cars#14713

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 11:01:16 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 19 May 2022 01:01 UTC

On 19/05/2022 9:56 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 19/5/2022 7:38 am, Noddy wrote:

>> Assuming it is a speaker. These days most audible warning devices are
>> electronic and are mounted in such positions that they're not easy to
>> get to. They're also usually multi function and you could find that
>> removing one not only kills the chimes you don't like, but also the
>> ones you do like front and rear proximity sensors for example.
>>
>> If it were me and you had the choice I'd rather use Forscan to
>> permanently turn off the ones you want to.
>>

> That would be a better solution, disconnecting the speaker worked on the
> older Hilux but maybe not on a newer car.
> My MB has rear parking sensors and they work very well despite being
> 20yrs old, not long ago the sensors were going nuts when I was reversing
> into my garage, I almost ignored them but got out to check and found
> that I had forgotten about the things I had left on the garage floor so
> some annoying beeps/chimes are worth having.

Sometimes. Other times they can drive you absolutely bonkers :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: FORscan

<jeljslF4qc4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14714&group=aus.cars#14714

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 11:13:20 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Thu, 19 May 2022 01:13 UTC

On 19/05/2022 2:15 am, Clocky wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 5:30 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> On 18/05/2022 8:56 am, Daryl wrote:
>>> On 17/5/2022 7:01 pm, lindsay wrote:
>>
>>> My old Hilux had a door open warning chime but disabling it was very
>>> simple, just find the chime speaker which is located under the dash
>>> near the steering column and pull the plug, might be just as easy to
>>> do the same on the Ranger.
>>

>> I'd bet it's as simple as a torch and some long pointy-nosed pliers,
>> but then I wonder what will *NOT* work because of it.... I'm happy
>> enough with the visual cues on the dash, but the incessant 'ding
>> ding' is just silly.
>>

> It just as likely to be surface mounted on a PCB for the cluster or
> similar.
>
> I'd unplug it where possible or desolder it and turf it - though on
> the latter you wouldn't want to do that whilst the car is under warranty.

well it's a Ford so it's probably hanging on a piece of string somewhere. :)

but to be fair my only personal experience with Fords is limited to the
Escort van I owned.. by far the biggest heap of rubbish and worst car
I've ever owned.. and a mates Cortina that broke down days after he
bought it. and the first falcons were rubbish. but this is going back
many years of course, and the current crop of Ford products may be ok. I
don't know.

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

Q:When is noddy not lying?
A:Anytime his lips aren't moving!

FUCK PUTIN!!

Re: FORscan

<jelkf2F4qc4U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14715&group=aus.cars#14715

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 11:23:10 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Thu, 19 May 2022 01:23 UTC

On 19/05/2022 11:01 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/05/2022 9:56 am, Daryl wrote:
>> On 19/5/2022 7:38 am, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> Assuming it is a speaker. These days most audible warning devices
>>> are electronic and are mounted in such positions that they're not
>>> easy to get to. They're also usually multi function and you could
>>> find that removing one not only kills the chimes you don't like, but
>>> also the ones you do like front and rear proximity sensors for example.
>>>
>>> If it were me and you had the choice I'd rather use Forscan to
>>> permanently turn off the ones you want to.
>>>

>> That would be a better solution, disconnecting the speaker worked on
>> the older Hilux but maybe not on a newer car.
>> My MB has rear parking sensors and they work very well despite being
>> 20yrs old, not long ago the sensors were going nuts when I was
>> reversing into my garage, I almost ignored them but got out to check
>> and found that I had forgotten about the things I had left on the
>> garage floor so some annoying beeps/chimes are worth having.
>
> Sometimes. Other times they can drive you absolutely bonkers :)

impossible in your case you're already bonkers

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

Q:When is noddy not lying?
A:Anytime his lips aren't moving!

FUCK PUTIN!!

Re: FORscan

<t64au0$cqh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14722&group=aus.cars#14722

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 10:44:17 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 19 May 2022 02:44 UTC

On 19/05/2022 9:13 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 19/05/2022 2:15 am, Clocky wrote:

>>> I'd bet it's as simple as a torch and some long pointy-nosed pliers,
>>> but then I wonder what will *NOT* work because of it.... I'm happy
>>> enough with the visual cues on the dash, but the incessant 'ding
>>> ding' is just silly.
>>>

>> It just as likely to be surface mounted on a PCB for the cluster or
>> similar.
>>
>> I'd unplug it where possible or desolder it and turf it - though on
>> the latter you wouldn't want to do that whilst the car is under warranty.
>>

> well it's a Ford so it's probably hanging on a piece of string
> somewhere. :)
>
> but to be fair my only personal experience with Fords is limited to the
> Escort van I owned.. by far the biggest heap of rubbish and worst car
> I've ever owned.. and a mates Cortina that broke down days after he
> bought it. and the first falcons were rubbish. but this is going back
> many years of course, and the current crop of Ford products may be ok. I
> don't know.

Falcons always were the worst of the locally manufactured cars in terms
of quality and their shafting of customers is legendary.

More recently Ford had major issues with their Powershit transmission

Re: FORscan

<181ks8hbbm3ab$.fax49ttcpllj.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14737&group=aus.cars#14737

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 17:19:12 +1000
 by: alvey - Thu, 19 May 2022 07:19 UTC

On Thu, 19 May 2022 10:44:17 +0800, Clocky wrote:

> Falcons always were the worst of the locally manufactured cars in terms
> of quality and their shafting of customers is legendary.

fx: cough
Errr Leyland and the legendary P76?

alvey

Re: FORscan

<wynhK.10802$dLI5.6989@fx48.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14743&group=aus.cars#14743

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 18:51:37 +1000
 by: lindsay - Thu, 19 May 2022 08:51 UTC

On 19/05/2022 9:12 am, Clocky wrote:
> On 18/05/2022 5:23 pm, lindsay wrote:
>

> "says 4 Nissan mechanics"

Yep, 4 Nissan mechanics that work on Navaras *every* day. And I could
probably ask the guy across the road who is a mechanic, who did the
wiring and will be servicing my bus in the future.

> At the wreckers?

Mechanics work in all sorts of places. I thought you'd know that?

>  I'll rely on my own real world trade experience thanks.

You're welcome, I'll rely on some guys who work on them everyday, and
the *FACTS* of the matter.

> Besides, if you were really interested in what mechanics had to say

No, not really.

Re: FORscan

<8HnhK.9184$Yfl6.1065@fx41.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14744&group=aus.cars#14744

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 19:00:50 +1000
 by: lindsay - Thu, 19 May 2022 09:00 UTC

On 19/05/2022 9:56 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 19/5/2022 7:38 am, Noddy wrote:

>> If it were me and you had the choice I'd rather use Forscan to
>> permanently turn off the ones you want to.

Yep.

> That would be a better solution, disconnecting the speaker worked on the
> older Hilux but maybe not on a newer car.

Forscan will cost me $125. I'm not about to pull my 15 month old
chariots dash apart to get to the chime/speaker/whatever it is. And
look at what happened the ford service team plugged their code reader
in... Cost me 1/2 a day to fix the DAB+, and then the drivers window
switch went silly. Wont be going back to Ford if I dont HAVE to.

> My MB has rear parking sensors and they work very well despite being
> 20yrs old, not long ago the sensors were going nuts when I was reversing
> into my garage, I almost ignored them but got out to check and found
> that I had forgotten about the things I had left on the garage floor so
> some annoying beeps/chimes are worth having.

Yep. Although I'm struggling to think which ones, when all the 'errors'
are displayed on the dash anyway. My bus doesnt have front and rear
sensors thankfully, but the most annoying things are the auto on/off,
seat belt alarm and the "smart" charger. Crazy. Owner should be allowed
to turn it all on or off. But for $125, i'll sort it myself.

Re: FORscan

<etfd8h9kru50a276ota3db208nf340460u@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14764&group=aus.cars#14764

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 08:13:27 +1000
 by: John_H - Thu, 19 May 2022 22:13 UTC

Daryl wrote:

>>> If you intend doing any off-road work where you need to reduce tyre
>>> pressures it's useful to disable it otherwise the alarm / fault code,
>>> or whatever, will annoy the shit out of you.  In which case you might
>>> also need to remove the sensors.
>>
>> Cheers... I dont plan anything serious 4wd wise, just getting in and out
>> of the block. I must admit, Fords system of swapping in/out of 4wd is a
>> lot simpler than Nissans; all is displayed onscreen.. no sitting there
>> waiting for a clunk. :)
>>

>Look up how the tyre pressure monitoring works, I checked the Golf tyre
>pressures a couple of days ago before we drove to Bendigo to see the
>Elvis exhibition, pressures were down a bit so I wondered why no warning
>and the valve stems look normal so I wondered if they had removed the
>sensors when new tyres were fitted but I found out that it doesn't have
>sensors in the tyres.
>It monitors the tyres via the ABS speed sensors, if one wheel turns at a
>different speed to another it assumes that one tyre is down on pressure.
>Ford may do it differently so worth checking how the Ford tyre
>monitoring system works.

Are you sure about that?

Tyre pressure has to reduce substantially to affect the rolling
circumference of a radial tyre (to the point of distortion in fact)
whereas it can vary significantly between brands and even batches of
the same tyre.

It would also generate false signals from the rears during cornering.

--
John H

Re: FORscan

<jeo3ncFjh5qU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14769&group=aus.cars#14769

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 09:55:21 +1000
 by: Daryl - Thu, 19 May 2022 23:55 UTC

On 20/5/2022 8:13 am, John_H wrote:
> Daryl wrote:

>>> Cheers... I dont plan anything serious 4wd wise, just getting in and out
>>> of the block. I must admit, Fords system of swapping in/out of 4wd is a
>>> lot simpler than Nissans; all is displayed onscreen.. no sitting there
>>> waiting for a clunk. :)
>>>

>> Look up how the tyre pressure monitoring works, I checked the Golf tyre
>> pressures a couple of days ago before we drove to Bendigo to see the
>> Elvis exhibition, pressures were down a bit so I wondered why no warning
>> and the valve stems look normal so I wondered if they had removed the
>> sensors when new tyres were fitted but I found out that it doesn't have
>> sensors in the tyres.
>> It monitors the tyres via the ABS speed sensors, if one wheel turns at a
>> different speed to another it assumes that one tyre is down on pressure.
>> Ford may do it differently so worth checking how the Ford tyre
>> monitoring system works.
>
> Are you sure about that?

Not really but its the description I found via Google.
I recently checked the Golf's tyre pressures and thought that the valve
stems should look different if it had sensors but they look like
ordinary valve stems, I also wondered why in the time we have had the
car the tyre pressure alert has never gone off despite me hardly ever
checking the pressures.
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/technology/car-safety/tyres.html

> Tyre pressure has to reduce substantially to affect the rolling
> circumference of a radial tyre (to the point of distortion in fact)
> whereas it can vary significantly between brands and even batches of
> the same tyre.
>
> It would also generate false signals from the rears during cornering.

I'm beginning to think that there might be something wrong with ours
because VW owners on various forums state that the system is quite
sensitive but ours has never done anything.
The car had new tyres fitted when we bought it so I did think that the
sensors had been removed but according to what I can find it never had any.

--
Daryl

Re: FORscan

<t66lfh$i4a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14770&group=aus.cars#14770

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 09:56:30 +1000
 by: Noddy - Thu, 19 May 2022 23:56 UTC

On 20/05/2022 8:13 am, John_H wrote:
> Daryl wrote:

>> Look up how the tyre pressure monitoring works, I checked the Golf tyre
>> pressures a couple of days ago before we drove to Bendigo to see the
>> Elvis exhibition, pressures were down a bit so I wondered why no warning
>> and the valve stems look normal so I wondered if they had removed the
>> sensors when new tyres were fitted but I found out that it doesn't have
>> sensors in the tyres.
>> It monitors the tyres via the ABS speed sensors, if one wheel turns at a
>> different speed to another it assumes that one tyre is down on pressure.
>> Ford may do it differently so worth checking how the Ford tyre
>> monitoring system works.
>
> Are you sure about that?
>
> Tyre pressure has to reduce substantially to affect the rolling
> circumference of a radial tyre (to the point of distortion in fact)
> whereas it can vary significantly between brands and even batches of
> the same tyre.
>
> It would also generate false signals from the rears during cornering.

That would depend on whether there was a G sensor in the car that
enabled it to make allowances for such things, wouldn't it?

I'm not familiar with the system Daryl mentions, but of those I've seen
they have a little battery operated pressure sensor on the inside of the
wheel that talks wirelessly to the car's ECU, and some of them are quite
sensitive. The ones on the Santa Fe only have to be off by a couple of
PSI to set the warning light on the dash.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: FORscan

<jep1iuFoq6pU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14807&group=aus.cars#14807

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 18:25:00 +1000
 by: Xeno - Fri, 20 May 2022 08:25 UTC

On 20/5/2022 9:56 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 20/05/2022 8:13 am, John_H wrote:
>> Daryl wrote:
>

>>> Look up how the tyre pressure monitoring works, I checked the Golf tyre
>>> pressures a couple of days ago before we drove to Bendigo to see the
>>> Elvis exhibition, pressures were down a bit so I wondered why no warning
>>> and the valve stems look normal so I wondered if they had removed the
>>> sensors when new tyres were fitted but I found out that it doesn't have
>>> sensors in the tyres.
>>> It monitors the tyres via the ABS speed sensors, if one wheel turns at a
>>> different speed to another it assumes that one tyre is down on pressure.
>>> Ford may do it differently so worth checking how the Ford tyre
>>> monitoring system works.
>>
>> Are you sure about that?
>>
>> Tyre pressure has to reduce substantially to affect the rolling
>> circumference of a radial tyre (to the point of distortion in fact)
>> whereas it can vary significantly between brands and even batches of
>> the same tyre.
>>
>> It would also generate false signals from the rears during cornering.
>
> That would depend on whether there was a G sensor in the car that
> enabled it to make allowances for such things, wouldn't it?

All cars these days have *acceleration* and *yaw rate* sensors Darren.
It goes with the *stability control systems* all cars must be fitted
with nowadays.

> I'm not familiar with the system Daryl mentions, but of those I've seen
> they have a little battery operated pressure sensor on the inside of the
> wheel that talks wirelessly to the car's ECU, and some of them are quite
> sensitive. The ones on the Santa Fe only have to be off by a couple of
> PSI to set the warning light on the dash.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: FORscan

<t6au59$5tp$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14844&group=aus.cars#14844

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 22:49:13 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sat, 21 May 2022 14:49 UTC

On 19/05/2022 3:19 pm, alvey wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2022 10:44:17 +0800, Clocky wrote:
>

>> Falcons always were the worst of the locally manufactured cars in terms
>> of quality and their shafting of customers is legendary.
>
> fx: cough
> Errr Leyland and the legendary P76?

I don't count those. They were mostly (re)assembled at the dealers, not
a factory.