From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Fibre diagnostics
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 12:07:17 +0000
 by: Graham J - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 12:07 UTC

Fibre as provided by Openreach usually terminates in an ONT, which
requires mains power. The ONT shows a green light for power.

If the fibre system is working the ONT shows a green light for PON;
otherwise is shows red.

Does anybody know whether the ISP or Openreach can identify remotely
whether the PON is physically connected to the fibre, and has electrical
power?

If so, is this status routinely monitored for fault identification purposes?

I am aware that if the ONT has a router connected, and that router is
configured correctly anybody can confirm that the connection is good by
pinging the router's public IP address. Except if the ISP uses CGNAT,
of course.

--
Graham J

Re: Fibre diagnostics

<ZQE*veCxz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14717&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14717

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Fibre diagnostics
Date: 11 Dec 2023 12:45:11 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 12:45 UTC

Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
> Fibre as provided by Openreach usually terminates in an ONT, which
> requires mains power. The ONT shows a green light for power.
>
> If the fibre system is working the ONT shows a green light for PON;
> otherwise is shows red.
>
> Does anybody know whether the ISP or Openreach can identify remotely
> whether the PON is physically connected to the fibre, and has electrical
> power?
>
> If so, is this status routinely monitored for fault identification purposes?

I think Openreach have telemetry that can tell them if the link is up. eg
they can tell from which endpoints drop off whether it's a fibre break (and
where), or a power failure, etc.

They must have some kind of fuzzy matching for that, because I'm sure
individual endpoints go down because some people turn them off at night, or
unplug to do the hoovering, etc.

Theo

Re: Fibre diagnostics

<ul9hmj$3l3g5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14718&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14718

From: gri...@somewhere.net (grinch)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 11:54:59 +0000
 by: grinch - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 11:54 UTC

On 11/12/2023 12:45, Theo wrote:
>snip

> They must have some kind of fuzzy matching for that, because I'm sure
> individual endpoints go down because some people turn them off at night, or
> unplug to do the hoovering, etc.
>
> Theo

They only actively monitor things that you pay them to. For the reasons
above they don't bother with home users.

There is a better monitoring system and its free its called users, they
alert when a circuit goes down. Works 24/7 and does not need power.

Re: Fibre diagnostics

<ula10d$3negg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14720&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14720

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 16:16:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:x0mienOcDAFnGRGTqCUpoeGyokI=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 16:16 UTC

grinch <grinch@somewhere.net> wrote:
> On 11/12/2023 12:45, Theo wrote:
>> snip
>

>> They must have some kind of fuzzy matching for that, because I'm sure
>> individual endpoints go down because some people turn them off at night, or
>> unplug to do the hoovering, etc.
>>
>> Theo
>
> They only actively monitor things that you pay them to. For the reasons
> above they don't bother with home users.
>
> There is a better monitoring system and its free its called users, they
> alert when a circuit goes down. Works 24/7 and does not need power.

Depends. Not a fibre line, but Andrew’s and Arnold send me a text when my
line drops and when it comes back up. They also emailed me once to say my
router was showing signs of becoming faulty.