You are destined to become the commandant of the fighting men of the department of transportation.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: OT: The election...

SubjectAuthor
* OT: The election...lindsay
+* OT: The election...Noddy
|`* OT: The election...Daryl
| `- OT: The election...Noddy
+- OT: The election...Oliver Closeoff
+* OT: The election...Daryl
|`* OT: The election...Noddy
| +* OT: The election...Oliver Closeoff
| |`- OT: The election...Xeno
| +* OT: The election...alvey
| |+- OT: The election...Xeno
| |`- OT: The election...Clocky
| `* OT: The election...Daryl
|  `- OT: The election...Noddy
+* OT: The election...Clocky
|`* OT: The election...lindsay
| `- OT: The election...Clocky
+* OT: The election...John_H
|+- OT: The election...Clocky
|+* OT: The election...Daryl
||+* OT: The election...Trevor Wilson
|||+* OT: The election...Daryl
|||+* OT: The election...Yosemite Sam
|||`* OT: The election...John_H
||| `* OT: The election...Trevor Wilson
|||  `* OT: The election...John_H
|||   `* OT: The election...Trevor Wilson
|||    `* OT: The election...John_H
|||     +* OT: The election...Noddy
|||     |+* OT: The election...keithr0
|||     ||+- OT: The election...Trevor Wilson
|||     ||`* OT: The election...Noddy
|||     || `- OT: The election...Xeno
|||     |+- OT: The election...alvey
|||     |`* OT: The election...Clocky
|||     | `* OT: The election...Yosemite Sam
|||     |  `* OT: The election...Clocky
|||     |   `* OT: The election...Yosemite Sam
|||     |    `* OT: The election...keithr0
|||     |     +* OT: The election...Daryl
|||     |     |+- OT: The election...Yosemite Sam
|||     |     |+* OT: The election...keithr0
|||     |     ||`* OT: The election...Daryl
|||     |     || `- OT: The election...Clocky
|||     |     |`- OT: The election...Clocky
|||     |     +- OT: The election...Yosemite Sam
|||     |     `* OT: The election...Noddy
|||     |      +* OT: The election...keithr0
|||     |      |`* OT: The election...Noddy
|||     |      | `* OT: The election...keithr0
|||     |      |  +* OT: The election...Noddy
|||     |      |  |`* OT: The election...Yosemite Sam
|||     |      |  | `* OT: The election...Xeno
|||     |      |  |  `- OT: The election...Yosemite Sam
|||     |      |  `* OT: The election...Yosemite Sam
|||     |      |   `- OT: The election...keithr0
|||     |      `- OT: The election...Clocky
|||     `- OT: The election...Trevor Wilson
||+* OT: The election...Noddy
|||+* OT: The election...Daryl
|||`* OT: The election...alvey
||| `- OT: The election...Xeno
||`* OT: The election...John_H
|+- OT: The election...lindsay
|`- OT: The election...keithr0
`* OT: The election...Trevor Wilson

Pages:1234567
Re: OT: The election...

<jeogt8Flp67U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14792&group=aus.cars#14792

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: OT: The election...
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 13:40:25 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 20 May 2022 03:40 UTC

On 20/05/2022 11:24 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 20/5/2022 10:47 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Agree neither is a great choice but I hate that elections have become
>>> a leaders popularity contest rather than a vote about policy.
>>> Decent political leadership has been sadly lacking for decades.
>>
>> **Wrong. Julia Gillard was an excellent leader. She managed a minority
>> government with great skill and aplomb. As for policies, well Bill
>> Shorten put a whole stack of excellent policies on the table at the
>> last election. He was beaten by an ad-man with no policies at all.
>>

>>>    I also have serious
>>>
>>> Know what you mean, its far from ideal but it is what it is, not much
>>> can be done to change it.
>>
>> **Bullshit. We will likely see it at this election. The Greens and
>> independents will probably end up with the balance of power. We may
>> finally see some significant changes WRT climate change policies as a
>> result.

>>> Agree if independents are truly independent which is something we can
>>> never be 100% sure of.
>>
>> **Correct, which is why we should all vote Green.
>>

> LOL, they are a political party so therefore far from independent.
> I prefer to stay in this century than go back to the dark ages.

**Nominate which of the Greens' policies that will take you back to the
dark ages. Be precise.

Re: OT: The election...

<t675au$8mo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14793&group=aus.cars#14793

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 14:27:08 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 20 May 2022 04:27 UTC

On 20/05/2022 1:01 pm, John_H wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 20/05/2022 10:16 am, John_H wrote:
>>> Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Following Bob Brown's visit even the local CFMEU branch withdrew its
>>> support from Labor.
>>
>> **I don't care for most unions. Some are OK. some are not. Most are run
>> by dickheads. They are equivalent to our politicians.
>
> Also a significant source of Labor politicians... Julia Gillard being
> but one example. :)

Lol :)

For almost as long as it's existed the Labor party has been the
political wing of the trade union movement, with a host of it's former
heavyweights being union officials who preached their communistic
bullshit to the faithful before moving onto the big stage to preach it
to everyone else.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: The election...

<74e8f06e-d458-48e0-acfb-317c9da8f227n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14794&group=aus.cars#14794

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 21:35:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Fri, 20 May 2022 04:35 UTC

On Thursday, 19 May 2022 at 17:56:20 UTC+10, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/05/2022 4:20 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> > On 19/05/2022 4:07 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
> > And please, while you're on the
> >> subject of "pitifully idiotic bullshit", don't start with the "per
> >> capita" nonsense.
> >
> > **Per capita is the only measure that matters.
> Per capita is completely nonsensical. The *only* figure that makes any
> difference to the planet is the global total.
> >> Hey Trev, when are you going to stop with the rhetoric and start
> >> leading by example?
> >
> > **I already do.
> Do you? How?
> >
> > You know, sell your fossil fuel burning cars and buy an EV?
> >
> > **As soon as we get a government that makes buying EVs attractive. The
> > COALition has no interest.
> Oh. So "doing your bit" is only okay if it's financially attractive to
> you. Is that how it works?
> >
> >> Bulldoze your old horribly inefficient house and build a new supper
> >> efficient one?
>
> > **How is my house inefficient? Be precise in your response.
> If memory serves, and I'm happy to stand corrected, you live in a house
> that's quite old. 1960's vintage or possibly older. Compared to a modern
> house it would be extremely inefficient, even if you'd gone to some
> trouble to counter that.
> > FWIW: I have the most efficient inverter air cons available. They are used around 10
> > days per year. I have no other heating or cooling. My next door
> > neighbour has a modern, efficient home and they've used their air con
> > every day for the past couple of months.
> Which says nothing about the differences about the homes, and everything
> about the personal preferences.
> > cut down the sun blocking trees around your place and
> >> install a big solar array with a battery back up?
> >
> > **ALL my electricity is obtained from renewable sources.
> So what? If you had a decent solar system you'd make more available for
> others to use.
> >> Why is it that the bloke who makes more noise about environmental
> >> responsibility around here than anyone *also* seems to be the bloke
> >> who does jack shit himself?
> >
> > **You have no idea what I do, or don't do.
> I've got some, based just on what you've said here :)
> >> Other than talk about it of course :)
> >
> > **Like I said: You have no idea.
> Okay. So, just for shits and giggles value, what's the "attractiveness"
> thresh hold that needs to be met before you'd consider dumping your
> fossil fuel burning cars and moving to an electric one, and given your
> highly pro-active stance on climate change which is something you've
> been passionate about for many years, do you see it as selfish that you
> put your own financial interests *ahead* of action you clearly consider
> to be for the greater good of all mankind?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My thoughts exactly. He`s paying lip service to his (loudly) proclaimed *beliefs*.
> --
> --
> --
> Regards,
> Noddy.

Re: OT: The election...

<jeolkoFmklmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14795&group=aus.cars#14795

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 15:01:10 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 20 May 2022 05:01 UTC

On 20/05/2022 1:40 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 20/05/2022 11:05 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 20/05/2022 10:44 am, Noddy wrote:
>

>>> Yep, and there is nothing stopping a *single* facility from ever
>>> supplying these things.
>>
>> **Yes, there is: Greed. It is up to the government to control their
>> greed. Again: Taxpayers fund these bastards. It is up to the
>> government to exert proper controls over them.
>
> I see. So how much control over the running of private businesses do you
> think the government should be entitled to?

**READ MY LIPS:

* Mandate nurses on duty 24/7.
* Mandate specific carer to resident ratios.
* Mandate proper nutritious meals for all residents.

We, taxpayers, fund these operations. It is not too much to ask that
they act properly.

>>> And yet you see the negligent actions of unscrupulous facility owners
>>> as the fault of the government.
>>
>> **It is the fault of the facility owners and negligence on the part of
>> the government to continue to fail to manage taxpayer funds.
>
> They're not failing to manage taxpayer funds at all.

**Oh yes, they are. They hand our money over to these companies and
don't demand that evidence be provided that they spend the money
appropriately (rather than on new Ferraris).

They hand it out to
> the care facility owners who are entitled to receive it, and how they
> spend it is *their* responsibility.

**NO! It's OUR money they're handing over. WE should know precisely how
OUR money is being spent.

>>> It is *precisely* subjective Trevor. Your idea of "quality care" is
>>> not everyone else's. Everyone's needs are different.
>>
>> **You're wrong. Those things are FUNDAMENTAL to quality care.
>
> Yeah, but the government isn't in the "quality care" business Trevor.

**It's not "quality care". It's BASIC care.

> Their involvement, such as it is, is to subsidise the aged care sector
> to make it affordable for those who otherwise can't afford to be placed
> at a more upmarket and significantly more expensive facility.

**You don't get it, do you? EVERY aged care facility receives OUR money.
Even the really expensive ones. More importantly, as I have stated
before: More money does not equate to better care.

> As I said to you. The government doesn't run the aged care sector. It
> just subsidises it.

**With OUR money. It is perfectly reasonable to want to know where OUR
money is being spent.

>>> Again, you're sticking it to the wrong people. Those you *should* be
>>> blaming are the unscrupulous care facility owners who treat their
>>> clients like a meal ticket, and to be absolutely frank letting them
>>> off the hook because you think the government doesn't provide
>>> adequate funding is an absolute nonsense.
>>
>> **Of course I blame the owners of the facilities. I also blame the
>> government for not mandating proper care.
>
> We can go on like this forever.... :)

**Until you have some experience with this sector, you will never
understand.

>>> Right. So you've conducted a poll and found that everyone thinks that
>>> way?
>>
>> **Tell you what: YOU find someone who thinks that the minimum
>> standards are good enough and I'll pay attention.
>
> It's not *my* job to prove *your* theories.

**It's not a fucking theory. It's a fact.

>>> Actually Trev, you should be praising the current government, as
>>> they're the only ones that I can recall in a very long time who has
>>> launched an inquiry into the aged care system, despite the system
>>> having been a mess for *decades* at the hands of many governments
>>> from either side of the political fence.
>>
>> **They launched an inquiry, then ignored the recommendations.
>
> Actually Trevor the Royal Commission into aged care made many
> recommendations, but also created confusion and uncertainty within it's
> findings with the commissioners themselves failing to agree on a number
> of points.
>
>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/aged-care-royal-commission-final-report-key-takeaways/13203508
>>

> The 4 main points of the commission's final report should be adopted,
> but the rest of it just seems to make the issue worse.

**Like I said: WE paid millions of Dollars for a Royal Commission, the
results of which have been ignored by the COALition.

>>> You understand that you're free to pick and choose where you want to
>>> go, and no one is *forced* into any particular facility, right? There
>>> are better options available that offer better services, but then
>>> you'll have to pay more for those services.
>>
>> **No. I already explained to you that my sister and mother were in a
>> facility with excellent levels of care and food (which, BTW, I'd be
>> happy to pay for in a decent cafe), yet the profit for the owner was
>> respectable. I examined facilities that were double the price, yet
>> didn't offer the same level of care. Money doesn't buy better care.
>
> Well then why does everyone concerned seem to be screaming that
> inadequate funding is the principal cause for the lack of care?

**Greed.

>> You'd think it would, but it doesn't. It MIGHT buy you a better view,
>> or a nice coffee machine in common areas, but it won't, necessarily
>> get you 24/7 nursing staff.
>
> So what's the answer?

**This:

* Mandate nurses on duty 24/7.
* Mandate specific carer to resident ratios.
* Mandate proper nutritious meals for all residents.

>> **Wrong. I explained to you before that the facility my mother and
>> sister were in was a low cost one. Not the cheapest I checked out, but
>> petty damned close.
>
> If that was the case, and I'm not doubting you, then it would seem to be
> the exception rather than the rule.

**Nope. My partner's mother is in a medium priced facility (RAD =
$600,000.00) and her father is in a lower cost one (RAD = $450.000.00).
Both facilities have 24/7 nurses. I checked out a couple of placed that
were priced at >$750,000.00. Nurses were not on duty 24/7. Money usually
buys you nice furniture, but not necessarily great care.

>>> You pay for X, but you want Y. But you're not prepared to pay for Y
>>> so you have to settle for X. That's pretty much how it works. The
>>> aged care business is a business like any other.
>>
>> **Read what I wrote. Money doesn't buy better care. It just buys more
>> expensive furniture. Furniture is cheap. Nurses are not.
>
> So then it *is* about money.

**I'll say again: When under the old ownership, my mother and sister had
access to:

* 24/7 nursing care.
* Excellent carer to resident ratios.
* REALLY nice, nutritious food.

The RAD was $350,000.00.

>>> I think a great many people suffered the same fate.
>>
>> **She died from complications arising from bed sores. One was 160mm
>> across and bone was visible. It was horrific and the direct result of
>> the lack of care from the facility.
>
> Again, you have no real way of knowing that given the comments of the
> doctors. If, as you mentioned, the doctors treating her were of the
> opinion that she was in such a frail condition that she was unlikely to
> survive a trip of a few km's then it sounds like she was going to pass
> away before long regardless of wherever she was.

**She died as a result of the injuries due to bed sores. Bed sores
result from poor treatment.

>>> There's no possible way you can know that, and as sad as it is given
>>> the comments of the doctors that you've mentioned here it probably
>>> wouldn't have made any difference to her where she was.
>>
>> **Read my words, VERY CAREFULLY.
>
> I did. She was frail. She was on death's door. Her time was extremely
> limited. That's what you seemed to be saying.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: OT: The election...

<t677p2$l57$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14796&group=aus.cars#14796

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 15:08:47 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 20 May 2022 05:08 UTC

On 20/05/2022 3:01 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 20/05/2022 1:40 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 20/05/2022 11:05 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> On 20/05/2022 10:44 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> **Read what I wrote. Money doesn't buy better care. It just buys more
>>> expensive furniture. Furniture is cheap. Nurses are not.
>>
>> So then it *is* about money.
>
> **I'll say again: When under the old ownership, my mother and sister had
> access to:
>
> * 24/7 nursing care.
> * Excellent carer to resident ratios.
> * REALLY nice, nutritious food.
>
> The RAD was $350,000.00.

So this answers the question in a nutshell. It's not about the funding,
and it's not about the minimum standards. It's about the facility owner
providing a duty of care. Under the old ownership the facility seems
like it was able to do that perfectly well, whereas under the current
ownership they do not.

So *again* I ask you. How is this the government's fault? :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: The election...

<jeomdsFmnh0U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14797&group=aus.cars#14797

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 15:14:37 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 20 May 2022 05:14 UTC

On 20/05/2022 3:08 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 20/05/2022 3:01 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> So then it *is* about money.
>>
>> **I'll say again: When under the old ownership, my mother and sister
>> had access to:
>>
>> * 24/7 nursing care.
>> * Excellent carer to resident ratios.
>> * REALLY nice, nutritious food.
>>
>> The RAD was $350,000.00.
>
> So this answers the question in a nutshell. It's not about the funding,
> and it's not about the minimum standards. It's about the facility owner
> providing a duty of care. Under the old ownership the facility seems
> like it was able to do that perfectly well, whereas under the current
> ownership they do not.
>
> So *again* I ask you. How is this the government's fault? :)

**Two ways:

* Despite the fact that all the relatives were happy with the way the
place was run, the government forced the place to be sold to a larger
company.
* When the new company took over, quality of service fell dramatically.

Had mandates been put in place, the quality of service would not have
fallen.

Re: OT: The election...

<jeoonuFn64hU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14798&group=aus.cars#14798

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 15:54:05 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Fri, 20 May 2022 05:54 UTC

On 19/05/2022 10:23 am, John_H wrote:
> lindsay wrote:
>>
>> I'm getting old... most shit on media that i observe, (television,
>> radio) doesnt really faze me.... But when you're force fed political
>> *SHIT*, that we have to pay for, I draw the line.
>>
>> In the last 10 mins, I've heard "there's a hole in your budget...) 4
>> times on prime time tv, , I heard it 4 times in 30 mins on TTFM this
>> morning before I punched the clock radio in the face and swapped to
>> digital.... I believe they actually changed it to a more modern track
>> today, but I havent heard it...thankfully.
>>
>> I'm nearly happy, I voted early, so I dont have to stand around in a 45
>> minute queue with all the dirty fucks without a mask... I could lie, and
>> say I dont care who wins... I do.. but find the cunt who came up with
>> "theres a hole in your budget", and "put him in the curry" ffs.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0n88tZQc4Q
>>
>> put 'em *ALL* in the curry....
>
> Hope you didn't put a major party at 1 which gets them $3 or so for
> your vote (in spite of what others may say it's the taxpayer who pays
> for their shit).

That's what the wicked witch of the west is doing with her ghost
candidates, she and James Ashby run One Nation as a profit centre. She
used to be last on my ballot, but, this time, she's been bumped up one
place by Clive.

> Also hope you never drew a prick on your ballot paper as one got
> elected last time (as I heard somewhere recently). :)

A friend who has worked as a vote counter reckons that you see all sorts
of "Interesting" stuff written on ballot papers.

Re: OT: The election...

<jeop12Fn7efU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14799&group=aus.cars#14799

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 15:58:57 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Fri, 20 May 2022 05:58 UTC

On 20/05/2022 2:27 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 20/05/2022 1:01 pm, John_H wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> **I don't care for most unions. Some are OK. some are not. Most are run
>>> by dickheads. They are equivalent to our politicians.
>>
>> Also a significant source of Labor politicians... Julia Gillard being
>> but one example.  :)
>
> Lol :)
>
> For almost as long as it's existed the Labor party has been the
> political wing of the trade union movement, with a host of it's former
> heavyweights being union officials who preached their communistic
> bullshit to the faithful before moving onto the big stage to preach it
> to everyone else.

Just as a lot of Lib candidates are from the legal profession, just as
bad. Abbott never had a proper job in his life, Dutton was a Queensland
cop not a group covered in glory, and Scomo an ex-salesman.

Re: OT: The election...

<l6ae8h1v9c3k4obgnfgqak53t19qbl7ebs@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14800&group=aus.cars#14800

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 16:13:25 +1000
 by: John_H - Fri, 20 May 2022 06:13 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote:
>On 20/05/2022 11:24 am, Daryl wrote:

>>> **Correct, which is why we should all vote Green.
>>>

>> LOL, they are a political party so therefore far from independent.
>> I prefer to stay in this century than go back to the dark ages.
>>

>**Nominate which of the Greens' policies that will take you back to the
>dark ages. Be precise.

How about their tycoons tax, or whatever they call it... a 6% tax on
the total assets of billionaires and billionaire corporations.

Most billionaires, or anyone else, wouldn't return a 6% profit on
their assets... meaning they'd be forced to liquidate assets to pay
their taxes resulting in a drop in value as the market becomes
flooded. IOW the value of their assets and hence the amount of tax
collected would both decrease rapidly.

Even worse for companies whose share prices would collapse in response
to the drop in yields which would make the 1929 crash, precursor to
the Great Depression of the '30s, look like a mere blip in the road
back to the dark ages.

To say nothing of superannuation funds which wouldn't even be able to
meet their administration costs.

--
John H

Re: OT: The election...

<jeoq7uFnd6sU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14801&group=aus.cars#14801

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 16:19:43 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 20 May 2022 06:19 UTC

On 20/05/2022 3:58 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 20/05/2022 2:27 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Also a significant source of Labor politicians... Julia Gillard being
>>> but one example.  :)
>>
>> Lol :)
>>
>> For almost as long as it's existed the Labor party has been the
>> political wing of the trade union movement, with a host of it's former
>> heavyweights being union officials who preached their communistic
>> bullshit to the faithful before moving onto the big stage to preach it
>> to everyone else.
>
> Just as a lot of Lib candidates are from the legal profession, just as
> bad. Abbott never had a proper job in his life, Dutton was a Queensland
> cop not a group covered in glory, and Scomo an ex-salesman.

**And not a very good one:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2019/02/11/scott-morrison-career/

Re: OT: The election...

<vowicuvn1jdb.zu5xur9hmp5f$.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14803&group=aus.cars#14803

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 16:39:49 +1000
 by: alvey - Fri, 20 May 2022 06:39 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 14:27:08 +1000, Noddy wrote:

> On 20/05/2022 1:01 pm, John_H wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> **I don't care for most unions. Some are OK. some are not. Most are run
>>> by dickheads. They are equivalent to our politicians.
>>
>> Also a significant source of Labor politicians... Julia Gillard being
>> but one example. :)
>
> Lol :)
>
> For almost as long as it's existed the Labor party has been the
> political wing of the trade union movement, with a host of it's former
> heavyweights being union officials who preached their communistic
> bullshit to the faithful before moving onto the big stage to preach it
> to everyone else.

lol! What rubbish.
"communistic bullshit"? You sound like one of those idiotic Trumpites who
always refer to the Democrats as "the radical left".

Besides, as an unskilled labourer and non-business owner you really should
have been an ALP voter Fraudster.

alvey

Re: OT: The election...

<jeoru3FnogfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14804&group=aus.cars#14804

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 16:48:33 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 20 May 2022 06:48 UTC

On 20/05/2022 4:13 pm, John_H wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> LOL, they are a political party so therefore far from independent.
>>> I prefer to stay in this century than go back to the dark ages.
>>>

>> **Nominate which of the Greens' policies that will take you back to the
>> dark ages. Be precise.
>
> How about their tycoons tax, or whatever they call it... a 6% tax on
> the total assets of billionaires and billionaire corporations.

**And how will that take us back to the dark ages?

Take as much space as you need to answer.

Additionally:

Gina Rinehart was worth $14 billion in 2019. $29 billion in 2020. $31
billion in 2021. Probably >$34 billion in 2022.

Do you honestly think she would miss $2 billion?

Really?

Do you think she would make good use of that $2 billion? Or could that
money be better spent on renewable energy projects, low cost housing or
money for our health care system?

> Most billionaires, or anyone else, wouldn't return a 6% profit on
> their assets... meaning they'd be forced to liquidate assets to pay
> their taxes resulting in a drop in value as the market becomes
> flooded. IOW the value of their assets and hence the amount of tax
> collected would both decrease rapidly.

**Gina seems to do OK. From $14 billion in 2019 to $31 billion last
year. I don't have my pocket calculator to hand, but I bet that works
out to a little more than 6% year on year.

How about Anthony Pratt?

$15.8 billion in 2019 to $20 billion in 2021.

How much can these guys spend? Seriously.

> Even worse for companies whose share prices would collapse in response
> to the drop in yields which would make the 1929 crash, precursor to
> the Great Depression of the '30s, look like a mere blip in the road
> back to the dark ages.
>
> To say nothing of superannuation funds which wouldn't even be able to
> meet their administration costs.

**Do the Greens state that they will tax super funds?

Re: OT: The election...

<t67gua$b1f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14805&group=aus.cars#14805

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 17:45:11 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 20 May 2022 07:45 UTC

On 20/05/2022 3:14 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 20/05/2022 3:08 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> **I'll say again: When under the old ownership, my mother and sister
>>> had access to:
>>>
>>> * 24/7 nursing care.
>>> * Excellent carer to resident ratios.
>>> * REALLY nice, nutritious food.
>>>
>>> The RAD was $350,000.00.
>>
>> So this answers the question in a nutshell. It's not about the
>> funding, and it's not about the minimum standards. It's about the
>> facility owner providing a duty of care. Under the old ownership the
>> facility seems like it was able to do that perfectly well, whereas
>> under the current ownership they do not.
>>
>> So *again* I ask you. How is this the government's fault? :)
>>

> **Two ways:
>
> * Despite the fact that all the relatives were happy with the way the
> place was run, the government forced the place to be sold to a larger
> company.

Rubbish. That was a decision made entirely by the owner, and no doubt
after an enticing offer had been made for the take-over.

> * When the new company took over, quality of service fell dramatically.

Right. Company at fault. Not the government.

> Had mandates been put in place, the quality of service would not have
> fallen.

Bullshit. Any company who is/was prepared to treat people like numbers
and milk them to death as they clearly did would be unlikely to play by
the rules.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: The election...

<t67hgm$en5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14806&group=aus.cars#14806

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 17:54:59 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 20 May 2022 07:54 UTC

On 20/05/2022 3:58 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 20/05/2022 2:27 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Also a significant source of Labor politicians... Julia Gillard being
>>> but one example.  :)
>>
>> Lol :)
>>
>> For almost as long as it's existed the Labor party has been the
>> political wing of the trade union movement, with a host of it's former
>> heavyweights being union officials who preached their communistic
>> bullshit to the faithful before moving onto the big stage to preach it
>> to everyone else.
>
> Just as a lot of Lib candidates are from the legal profession, just as
> bad.

I dunno about that. Most lawyers may be contemptible lumps of excrement,
but at least they're not Communists :)

> Abbott never had a proper job in his life, Dutton was a Queensland
> cop not a group covered in glory, and Scomo an ex-salesman.

What's a "proper" job in your opinion?

Moreover, What do you think would be an ideal profession for one to have
held that would make them particularly suitable for a career in politics?

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: The election...

<jep6ehFpmj5U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14809&group=aus.cars#14809

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 19:47:59 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 20 May 2022 09:47 UTC

On 20/05/2022 5:45 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> So this answers the question in a nutshell. It's not about the
>>> funding, and it's not about the minimum standards. It's about the
>>> facility owner providing a duty of care. Under the old ownership the
>>> facility seems like it was able to do that perfectly well, whereas
>>> under the current ownership they do not.
>>>
>>> So *again* I ask you. How is this the government's fault? :)
>>>

>> **Two ways:
>>
>> * Despite the fact that all the relatives were happy with the way the
>> place was run, the government forced the place to be sold to a larger
>> company.
>
> Rubbish. That was a decision made entirely by the owner, and no doubt
> after an enticing offer had been made for the take-over.

**Nope. It was a fire sale. He was losing money.

>> * When the new company took over, quality of service fell dramatically.
>
> Right. Company at fault. Not the government.

**It IS the government's fault since:

* The problems have been telegraphed for several years.
* The government has avoided mandating the things I mentioned.

>> Had mandates been put in place, the quality of service would not have
>> fallen.
>
> Bullshit.

**How the fuck would you know? Really.

I was there. I observed the dramatic fall in quality of service.

Any company who is/was prepared to treat people like numbers
> and milk them to death as they clearly did would be unlikely to play by
> the rules.

**Wrong. The government has a department that oversees the aged care
industry. They perform unannounced inspections.

Re: OT: The election...

<jep6miFpo7lU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14810&group=aus.cars#14810

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 19:52:16 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 20 May 2022 09:52 UTC

On 20/05/2022 1:01 pm, John_H wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Indeed, he was the one responsible for voting down Krudd's original
>>> carbon pricing because it didn't include a ban on coal mining (nice
>>> bloke but politically inept). Nowadays not even Labor supports a
>>> carbon tax after they beating they copped at the end of their last
>>> stint in office.

>>> Always looks to me that you're happy to vilify anyone connected with
>>> the coal industry same as anyone who doesn't accept *your* view on
>>> climate change. Trouble is the mine workers see things exactly the
>>> same way..
>>
>> **Points:
>>
>> It's not _MY_ view on climate change. I simply listen to the climate
>> scientists. There can be no alternative. Burning fossil fuels is really
>> dumb.
>>
>> Mine workers are a different problem. I recognise that, in many areas of
>> Australia, there are few jobs other than mining (coal). That must
>> change. Politicians must deliver programmes so that mine workers can
>> re-train in careers that will serve them for the next few decades.
>
> You're missing the point! Coking coal miners' jobs aren't under any
> immediate threat so long as there's no substitute in steel production,
> but try telling them that. They're the ones who kept the LNP in power
> last time around (thermal coal is but a small part of total production
> in Q) and will almost certainly prevent Labor from making any
> significant inroads this time. With all due thanks to BB et al.

**OK.

>> However, ANY mine worker who has entered the industry in the past few
>> years (personally, I would say the past two decades), expecting a long
>> term employment is just a moron. They deserve what they get -
>> unemployment. There is no long term future for thermal coal. I would
>> also add that, as mechanisation increases, then the number of jobs
>> decreases. BTW, coal mining employs less than 38,000 Australians:
>>
>> https://australiainstitute.org.au/post/how-many-coal-jobs-check-the-facts/
>>
>> A truly insignificant number of workers.
>>

>>> Following Bob Brown's visit even the local CFMEU branch withdrew its
>>> support from Labor.
>>
>> **I don't care for most unions. Some are OK. some are not. Most are run
>> by dickheads. They are equivalent to our politicians.
>
> Also a significant source of Labor politicians... Julia Gillard being
> but one example. :)

**Best PM we've ever had. She wrangled a minority government brilliantly.

Re: OT: The election...

<jep7emFpsfgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14811&group=aus.cars#14811

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 20:05:08 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 20 May 2022 10:05 UTC

On 19/05/2022 5:56 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/05/2022 4:20 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 19/05/2022 4:07 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>   And please, while you're on the
>>> subject of "pitifully idiotic bullshit", don't start with the "per
>>> capita" nonsense.
>>
>> **Per capita is the only measure that matters.
>
> Per capita is completely nonsensical. The *only* figure that makes any
> difference to the planet is the global total.
>
>>> Hey Trev, when are you going to stop with the rhetoric and start
>>> leading by example?
>>
>> **I already do.
>
> Do you? How?

**Asked and answered.

>>   You know, sell your fossil fuel burning cars and buy an EV?
>>
>> **As soon as we get a government that makes buying EVs attractive. The
>> COALition has no interest.
>
> Oh. So "doing your bit" is only okay if it's financially attractive to
> you. Is that how it works?

**No. It's more complex than that. I purchased a new car in 2017. It's
five year warranty period falls due at the end of this year. I would not
consider selling that car until the warranty period is finished.
However, my next car will, almost certainly be a hybrid or a BEV. I am
leaning towards a BEV right now. That may change. Depending on a bunch
of factors:

* The availability more plentiful charging places.
* The arrival of new battery technologies (Al-Ion for instance).
* The cost of petrol.
* Government incentives to buy an BEV.

Based on my present usage, my present car will probably outlast me (at
least 30 years). So, I will need some compelling reasons to buy a new
car of any type.

>>> Bulldoze your old horribly inefficient house and build a new supper
>>> efficient one?
>
>> **How is my house inefficient? Be precise in your response.
>
> If memory serves, and I'm happy to stand corrected, you live in a house
> that's quite old. 1960's vintage or possibly older. Compared to a modern
> house it would be extremely inefficient, even if you'd gone to some
> trouble to counter that.

**Nonsense. The house next door is quite modern and extremely
inefficient. Like I said: I rarely use heating and cooling. I have trees
to my West that block the afternoon Sun. The house faces North, so I
pick up that nice Winter Sun. It's high and near the water, so I get sea
breezes on Summer evenings (mostly). It is an extremely comfortable
home, at any time of year. My partner chose very carefully.

>> FWIW: I have the most efficient inverter air cons available. They are
>> used around 10 days per year. I have no other heating or cooling. My
>> next door neighbour has a modern, efficient home and they've used
>> their air con every day for the past couple of months.
>
> Which says nothing about the differences about the homes, and everything
> about the personal preferences.

**And just how badly some modern homes can be designed and built. The
cheapskates didn't even specify double glazing. Yet my partner and I are
making plans to install double glazing in the next year or two.

>>   cut down the sun blocking trees around your place and
>>> install a big solar array with a battery back up?
>>
>> **ALL my electricity is obtained from renewable sources.
>
> So what?

**I put my money where my mouth is.

If you had a decent solar system you'd make more available for
> others to use.

**As I stated before: Too much shading. I lose the ability to generate
power, but I save power thanks to the shading from the Western Sun.

>>> Why is it that the bloke who makes more noise about environmental
>>> responsibility around here than anyone *also* seems to be the bloke
>>> who does jack shit himself?
>>
>> **You have no idea what I do, or don't do.
>
> I've got some, based just on what you've said here :)

**You have no idea what I do, or don't do.

>>> Other than talk about it of course :)
>>
>> **Like I said: You have no idea.
>
> Okay. So, just for shits and giggles value, what's the "attractiveness"
> thresh hold that needs to be met before you'd consider dumping your
> fossil fuel burning cars and moving to an electric one, and given your
> highly pro-active stance on climate change which is something you've
> been passionate about for many years, do you see it as selfish that you
> put your own financial interests *ahead* of action you clearly consider
> to be for the greater good of all mankind?

**See above.

Re: OT: The election...

<jepg38Frgp1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14812&group=aus.cars#14812

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 22:32:37 +1000
 by: Daryl - Fri, 20 May 2022 12:32 UTC

On 20/5/2022 8:05 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 19/05/2022 5:56 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 19/05/2022 4:20 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> On 19/05/2022 4:07 pm, Noddy wrote:
>>
>>>   And please, while you're on the
>>>
>>> **Per capita is the only measure that matters.
>>
>> Per capita is completely nonsensical. The *only* figure that makes any
>> difference to the planet is the global total.

>>> **I already do.
>>
>> Do you? How?
>
> **Asked and answered.
>

>>>   You know, sell your fossil fuel burning cars and buy an EV?
>>>
>>> **As soon as we get a government that makes buying EVs attractive.
>>> The COALition has no interest.
>>
>> Oh. So "doing your bit" is only okay if it's financially attractive to
>> you. Is that how it works?
>
> **No. It's more complex than that. I purchased a new car in 2017. It's
> five year warranty period falls due at the end of this year. I would not
> consider selling that car until the warranty period is finished.
> However, my next car will, almost certainly be a hybrid or a BEV. I am
> leaning towards a BEV right now. That may change. Depending on a bunch
> of factors:
>
> * The availability more plentiful charging places.

If you look at some YouTube videos on that subject you will find it
isn't so simple, its estimated that about 1 in 5 people in the UK who
buy BEV switch back to IC because charging away from home is a PITA and
its not just the lack of chargers.
They arrive at a place with lots of chargers but they are all taken so
they have to wait a very long time, secondly they often find chargers
not working or problems with the aps that control them.
Before you even consider a BEV make sure you can charge it at home
because relying on finding a charger could become your worst nightmare.
That may change over time but I wouldn't count on it in the near future.

> * The arrival of new battery technologies (Al-Ion for instance).

That might change everything but who knows when.

> * The cost of petrol.

The price is usually governed by supply and demand so I would expect
that if demand goes down so will the price but no one really knows.

> * Government incentives to buy an BEV.

Hope our Govt is never dumb enough to subsidize them.
In some countries EV's are cheaper than IC cars when you deduct the
subsidies but still people change back to IC because charging is a PITA.

> Based on my present usage, my present car will probably outlast me (at
> least 30 years). So, I will need some compelling reasons to buy a new
> car of any type.

Same here, its very likely that keeping any car that's in good working
order for a long time will produce less whole of life emissions than
continually making new ones regardless of the type.
I also wonder what will happen in about 10yrs when batteries start
failing, do owners scrap the whole car and start again or replace the
battery, either way the cost is going to be high.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: The election...

<jepghnFrk7bU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14813&group=aus.cars#14813

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: 20 May 2022 12:40:23 GMT
<jeop12Fn7efU1@mid.individual.net>
<t67hgm$en5$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Xeno - Fri, 20 May 2022 12:40 UTC

Noddy <me@home.com> wrote:
> On 20/05/2022 3:58 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> Lol :)
>>>
>>> For almost as long as it's existed the Labor party has been the
>>> political wing of the trade union movement, with a host of it's former
>>> heavyweights being union officials who preached their communistic
>>> bullshit to the faithful before moving onto the big stage to preach it
>>> to everyone else.
>>
>> Just as a lot of Lib candidates are from the legal profession, just as
>> bad.
>
> I dunno about that. Most lawyers may be contemptible lumps of excrement,
> but at least they're not Communists :)
>
>> Abbott never had a proper job in his life, Dutton was a Queensland
>> cop not a group covered in glory, and Scomo an ex-salesman.
>
> What's a "proper" job in your opinion?
>
> Moreover, What do you think would be an ideal profession for one to have
> held that would make them particularly suitable for a career in politics?

Well Darren, you have a head start. You are an inveterate liar and that,
more than *any other skill*, makes you the perfect candidate to be a
politician. You’ve sold used cars, hey the perfect political training
ground. We only have one problem with you, you make Pauline Hanson look
intelligent and literate by comparison. It’d take a bit of work to overcome
that but, hey, Pauline made it!

--
Xeno

Re: OT: The election...

<mo3g8htrlsj6p453on0k75dnreje8n4r2n@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14814&group=aus.cars#14814

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 08:01:35 +1000
 by: John_H - Fri, 20 May 2022 22:01 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote:
>On 20/05/2022 4:13 pm, John_H wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> **Nominate which of the Greens' policies that will take you back to the
>>> dark ages. Be precise.
>>
>> How about their tycoons tax, or whatever they call it... a 6% tax on
>> the total assets of billionaires and billionaire corporations.
>
>**And how will that take us back to the dark ages?
>
>Take as much space as you need to answer.

What part of basic economics don't you understand?
A 6% reduction in private and corporate wealth, even if confined to
the top end of town, would have a significant impact on economic
growth. The flow on effects would precipitate an economic disaster
that would make the Great Depression of the 1930s look like a short
term recession.

>Additionally:
>
>Gina Rinehart was worth $14 billion in 2019. $29 billion in 2020. $31
>billion in 2021. Probably >$34 billion in 2022.
>
>Do you honestly think she would miss $2 billion?

At which point the state has seized a mere 6% of her assets, so
probably not! But it's a tax, it's ongoing, so how long before she's
reduced to a mere billion?

>Really?

Really! Communism by stealth... Carl Marx would've loved it.

>Do you think she would make good use of that $2 billion? Or could that
>money be better spent on renewable energy projects, low cost housing or
>money for our health care system?

So you'd have the state as the sole determinate at to where the money
gets spent (assuming it has any value whatsoever at that point)!

>> Most billionaires, or anyone else, wouldn't return a 6% profit on
>> their assets... meaning they'd be forced to liquidate assets to pay
>> their taxes resulting in a drop in value as the market becomes
>> flooded. IOW the value of their assets and hence the amount of tax
>> collected would both decrease rapidly.
>
>**Gina seems to do OK. From $14 billion in 2019 to $31 billion last
>year. I don't have my pocket calculator to hand, but I bet that works
>out to a little more than 6% year on year.
>
>How about Anthony Pratt?
>
>$15.8 billion in 2019 to $20 billion in 2021.
>
>How much can these guys spend? Seriously.

Indeed if they don't have it they can't spend it, which is no doubt
what motivates the watermelons... green the outside, red on the
inside!
>> Even worse for companies whose share prices would collapse in response
>> to the drop in yields which would make the 1929 crash, precursor to
>> the Great Depression of the '30s, look like a mere blip in the road
>> back to the dark ages.
>>
>> To say nothing of superannuation funds which wouldn't even be able to
>> meet their administration costs.
>
>**Do the Greens state that they will tax super funds?

What super fund doesn't have assets exceeding $1b, so why wouldn't
they be taxed? In any case a major source of superannuation pensions
is corporate share dividends which would cease to exist as a direct
consequence of a 6% asset tax.

--
John H

Re: OT: The election...

<jeqjrcF3lc6U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14815&group=aus.cars#14815

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 08:42:52 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 20 May 2022 22:42 UTC

On 21/05/2022 8:01 am, John_H wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> How about their tycoons tax, or whatever they call it... a 6% tax on
>>> the total assets of billionaires and billionaire corporations.
>>
>> **And how will that take us back to the dark ages?
>>
>> Take as much space as you need to answer.
>
> What part of basic economics don't you understand?

**Quite a bit, actually.

> A 6% reduction in private and corporate wealth, even if confined to
> the top end of town, would have a significant impact on economic
> growth. The flow on effects would precipitate an economic disaster
> that would make the Great Depression of the 1930s look like a short
> term recession.

**Bullshit. My income tax bill is MUCH higher, as a percentage of income
than any billionaire in Australia. 6% tax is chicken-feed. Tax 'em more.

>> Additionally:
>>
>> Gina Rinehart was worth $14 billion in 2019. $29 billion in 2020. $31
>> billion in 2021. Probably >$34 billion in 2022.
>>
>> Do you honestly think she would miss $2 billion?
>
> At which point the state has seized a mere 6% of her assets, so
> probably not! But it's a tax, it's ongoing, so how long before she's
> reduced to a mere billion?

**Based on the rise in her wealth over the past few years, never. Even
with a miserably tiny 6% tax, she'll just get richer. And more annoying.

>> Really?
>
> Really! Communism by stealth... Carl Marx would've loved it.
>
>> Do you think she would make good use of that $2 billion? Or could that
>> money be better spent on renewable energy projects, low cost housing or
>> money for our health care system?
>
> So you'd have the state as the sole determinate at to where the money
> gets spent (assuming it has any value whatsoever at that point)!

**In a heartbeat. Look what Gina has spent some of her money on. Look
what Packer spends his money on. Some of that wealth could be delivered
to our health system. Or education system. Or defence.

https://themarketherald.com.au/fancy/net-worth-how-australias-richest-women-gina-rinehart-spends-her-wealth/

https://themarketherald.com.au/fancy/billionaire-insight-inside-the-luxury-life-of-james-packer/

>>> Most billionaires, or anyone else, wouldn't return a 6% profit on
>>> their assets... meaning they'd be forced to liquidate assets to pay
>>> their taxes resulting in a drop in value as the market becomes
>>> flooded. IOW the value of their assets and hence the amount of tax
>>> collected would both decrease rapidly.
>>
>> **Gina seems to do OK. From $14 billion in 2019 to $31 billion last
>> year. I don't have my pocket calculator to hand, but I bet that works
>> out to a little more than 6% year on year.
>>
>> How about Anthony Pratt?
>>
>> $15.8 billion in 2019 to $20 billion in 2021.
>>
>> How much can these guys spend? Seriously.
>
> Indeed if they don't have it they can't spend it, which is no doubt
> what motivates the watermelons... green the outside, red on the
> inside!

**Most of their money is made in Australia and spent overseas. If they
spend it.

>>> Even worse for companies whose share prices would collapse in response
>>> to the drop in yields which would make the 1929 crash, precursor to
>>> the Great Depression of the '30s, look like a mere blip in the road
>>> back to the dark ages.
>>>
>>> To say nothing of superannuation funds which wouldn't even be able to
>>> meet their administration costs.
>>
>> **Do the Greens state that they will tax super funds?
>
> What super fund doesn't have assets exceeding $1b, so why wouldn't
> they be taxed?

**Perhaps you missed my question. Here it is:

Do the Greens state that they will tax super funds?

Yes or no.

In any case a major source of superannuation pensions
> is corporate share dividends which would cease to exist as a direct
> consequence of a 6% asset tax.

**Given the tax evasion practiced by most large companies, I have zero
problem with extra tax on them.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/dec/10/household-names-168-australian-companies-have-paid-no-tax-since-2013

Re: OT: The election...

<t6975k$12a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14816&group=aus.cars#14816

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 09:10:44 +1000
<jeo4rtFjmu3U1@mid.individual.net> <jeo6psFk1voU1@mid.individual.net>
<jeo8vdFkebpU1@mid.individual.net> <jeogt8Flp67U2@mid.individual.net>
<l6ae8h1v9c3k4obgnfgqak53t19qbl7ebs@4ax.com>
<jeoru3FnogfU1@mid.individual.net>
<mo3g8htrlsj6p453on0k75dnreje8n4r2n@4ax.com>
<jeqjrcF3lc6U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Noddy - Fri, 20 May 2022 23:10 UTC

On 21/05/2022 8:42 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 21/05/2022 8:01 am, John_H wrote:

>  In any case a major source of superannuation pensions
>> is corporate share dividends which would cease to exist as a direct
>> consequence of a 6% asset tax.
>
> **Given the tax evasion practiced by most large companies, I have zero
> problem with extra tax on them.

Tax evasion? Which ones do you know that are actually breaking the law?

You're starting to sound like a fanatical communist Trev. No wonder you
think Giallard was one of our greatest Prime Ministers :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: The election...

<t6981q$7ct$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14817&group=aus.cars#14817

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 09:25:43 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 20 May 2022 23:25 UTC

On 20/05/2022 10:32 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 20/5/2022 8:05 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>> * The arrival of new battery technologies (Al-Ion for instance).
>
> That might change everything but who knows when.

Yep. He keeps citing this as a major selling point of EV's, but they're
not in use yet and there's nothing on the horizon to say when they ever
will be. It's a bit like saying our lives will all change for the better
once we switch to low cost, autonomous flying cars with the *only*
problem being that they haven't been invented yet.

>> * The cost of petrol.
>
> The price is usually governed by supply and demand so I would expect
> that if demand goes down so will the price but no one really knows.

Hope so. My environment killing gas guzzlers will be cost effective
after all :)

>> * Government incentives to buy an BEV.
>
> Hope our Govt is never dumb enough to subsidize them.
> In some countries EV's are cheaper than IC cars when you deduct the
> subsidies but still people change back to IC because charging is a PITA.

Like Chinese cars, they have some way to go.

Interesting to see media reports of late where after claiming that they
were getting out of IC engine production a lot of manufacturers are now
slowly releasing media statements to say that there is still life in the
old IC enginet and they're not shutting down their production facilities
just yet.

Like politicians, auto manufacturers will happily release whatever
public statements they think will curry favour with the public, and then
go on and do whatever the fuck they want anyway :)

>> Based on my present usage, my present car will probably outlast me (at
>> least 30 years). So, I will need some compelling reasons to buy a new
>> car of any type.

Well, I've just bought a new car that has a February 2023 expected
delivery date, and at the price I paid for it I could have comfortably
had any of the popular EV's on the market right now. But I didn't *want*
one as they don't appeal to me. They have far too many idiosyncrasies
that make them convenient as far as I' concerned, and given that I'll
probably be dead before this new ute is worn out I'm tipping that there
won't be an EV in my future any time soon.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: The election...

<jeqnc2F48u5U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14818&group=aus.cars#14818

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 09:42:55 +1000
<jeo4rtFjmu3U1@mid.individual.net> <jeo6psFk1voU1@mid.individual.net>
<jeo8vdFkebpU1@mid.individual.net> <jeogt8Flp67U2@mid.individual.net>
<l6ae8h1v9c3k4obgnfgqak53t19qbl7ebs@4ax.com>
<jeoru3FnogfU1@mid.individual.net>
<mo3g8htrlsj6p453on0k75dnreje8n4r2n@4ax.com>
<jeqjrcF3lc6U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Daryl - Fri, 20 May 2022 23:42 UTC

On 21/5/2022 8:42 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 21/05/2022 8:01 am, John_H wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> **And how will that take us back to the dark ages?
>>>
>>> Take as much space as you need to answer.
>>
>> What part of basic economics don't you understand?
>
> **Quite a bit, actually.
>
>> A 6% reduction in private and corporate wealth, even if confined to
>> the top end of town, would have a significant impact on economic
>> growth.  The flow on effects would precipitate an economic disaster
>> that would make the Great Depression of the 1930s look like a short
>> term recession.
>
> **Bullshit. My income tax bill is MUCH higher, as a percentage of income
> than any billionaire in Australia. 6% tax is chicken-feed. Tax 'em more.
>

>>> Additionally:
>>>
>>> Gina Rinehart was worth $14 billion in 2019. $29 billion in 2020. $31
>>> billion in 2021. Probably >$34 billion in 2022.
>>>
>>> Do you honestly think she would miss $2 billion?
>>
>> At which point the state has seized a mere 6% of her assets, so
>> probably not!  But it's a tax, it's ongoing, so how long before she's
>> reduced to a mere billion?
>
> **Based on the rise in her wealth over the past few years, never. Even
> with a miserably tiny 6% tax, she'll just get richer. And more annoying.
>

>>> Really?
>>
>> Really!  Communism by stealth... Carl Marx would've loved it.
>>
>>> Do you think she would make good use of that $2 billion? Or could that
>>> money be better spent on renewable energy projects, low cost housing or
>>> money for our health care system?
>>
>> So you'd have the state as the sole determinate at to where the money
>> gets spent (assuming it has any value whatsoever at that point)!
>
> **In a heartbeat. Look what Gina has spent some of her money on. Look
> what Packer spends his money on. Some of that wealth could be delivered
> to our health system. Or education system. Or defence.
>
> https://themarketherald.com.au/fancy/net-worth-how-australias-richest-women-gina-rinehart-spends-her-wealth/
>

> https://themarketherald.com.au/fancy/billionaire-insight-inside-the-luxury-life-of-james-packer/

>>> **Gina seems to do OK. From $14 billion in 2019 to $31 billion last
>>> year. I don't have my pocket calculator to hand, but I bet that works
>>> out to a little more than 6% year on year.
>>>
>>> How about Anthony Pratt?
>>>
>>> $15.8 billion in 2019 to $20 billion in 2021.
>>>
>>> How much can these guys spend? Seriously.
>>
>> Indeed if they don't have it they can't spend it, which is no doubt
>> what motivates the watermelons... green the outside, red on the
>> inside!
>
> **Most of their money is made in Australia and spent overseas. If they
> spend it.

>>> **Do the Greens state that they will tax super funds?
>>
>> What super fund doesn't have assets exceeding $1b, so why wouldn't
>> they be taxed?
>
> **Perhaps you missed my question. Here it is:
>
> Do the Greens state that they will tax super funds?
>
> Yes or no.

Its not as simple as that, if they tax what the super funds invest in
then isn't that still an indirect tax on super?
Different method, same result which will affect the average Joe as much
as the wealthy.
I don't disagree with the idea that the wealthy should pay more but we
need to be very careful with the way its done so that it doesn't result
in less investment in things that will create jobs making people worse off.
Sounds a bit like UAP plan for a tax of mining exports, prices are fixed
by the market so the tax would have to be absorbed by the miners with a
resulting drop in profit which could further result in some miners
shutting down and everyone loosing their jobs, the plan is not well
thought through.
The mining companies pay people very well which the employees spend, if
they loose their jobs it will have a big effect on the overall economy.

>  In any case a major source of superannuation pensions
>> is corporate share dividends which would cease to exist as a direct
>> consequence of a 6% asset tax.
>
> **Given the tax evasion practiced by most large companies, I have zero
> problem with extra tax on them.
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/dec/10/household-names-168-australian-companies-have-paid-no-tax-since-2013

That really doesn't tell the complete story, it just gives income
figures, those business's that didn't pay any tax may have incurred big
losses greater than their income.
If a business chooses to invest their income into expansion they might
not make a profit that year but they could have created hundreds of new
jobs, there are many ways a business can spend their income which
although not directly paying tax still benefits the economy.
Different story if a business is avoiding tax illegally.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: The election...

<jeqnvlF4ca0U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14819&group=aus.cars#14819

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 09:53:23 +1000
<jeo4rtFjmu3U1@mid.individual.net> <jeo6psFk1voU1@mid.individual.net>
<jeo8vdFkebpU1@mid.individual.net> <jeogt8Flp67U2@mid.individual.net>
<l6ae8h1v9c3k4obgnfgqak53t19qbl7ebs@4ax.com>
<jeoru3FnogfU1@mid.individual.net>
<mo3g8htrlsj6p453on0k75dnreje8n4r2n@4ax.com>
<jeqjrcF3lc6U1@mid.individual.net> <t6975k$12a$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Daryl - Fri, 20 May 2022 23:53 UTC

On 21/5/2022 9:10 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 21/05/2022 8:42 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 21/05/2022 8:01 am, John_H wrote:
>
>>   In any case a major source of superannuation pensions
>>> is corporate share dividends which would cease to exist as a direct
>>> consequence of a 6% asset tax.
>>
>> **Given the tax evasion practiced by most large companies, I have zero
>> problem with extra tax on them.
>
> Tax evasion? Which ones do you know that are actually breaking the law?

Very likely very few if any, not against the law to minimise the amount
of tax they pay.
The ATO have been actively trying to prevent profit shifting as have
many other countries so its not as if the ATO hasn't been trying to
address the issue, its a big problem world wide, not just in Australia.
https://www.ato.gov.au/business/international-tax-for-business/in-detail/base-erosion-and-profit-shifting/?page=1#:~:text=Base%20erosion%20and%20profit%20shifting%20is%20a%20tax%20avoidance%20strategy,ones%20that%20have%20low%20taxes.

Trouble is if we come down too hard on these big companies they are
likely to pack up shop and move elsewhere making us worse off so its a
fine balance between collecting a reasonable amount of tax but not
killing off the goose that laid the golden egg.

--
Daryl