From: New...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Graeme)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Keeping plants over winter, in plastic pots
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 10:16:52 +0100
 by: Graeme - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 09:16 UTC

I bought four plants at a local sale a few days ago, all in plastic
pots, and would prefer not to plant them in the garden until next year.
The plants are Rowan, Lilac, Lychnis Chalcedonica and Helianthus 'Lemon
Queen'.

Not sure how or where to store them, options being in the garden, an
unheated greenhouse, unheated porch or unheated but not terribly cold
bedroom.

I am assuming (or hoping) they will require little more than an
occasional drop of water until the spring. Pictures here :

https://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/plants/index.html

Any advice welcome.
--
Graeme

Re: Keeping plants over winter, in plastic pots

<sif123$gih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1467&group=uk.rec.gardening#1467

From: {$new...@meden.demon.co.uk (Stewart Robert Hinsley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Keeping plants over winter, in plastic pots
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 11:37:54 +0100
 by: Stewart Robert Hinsl - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 10:37 UTC

On 22/09/2021 10:16, Graeme wrote:

> I bought four plants at a local sale a few days ago, all in plastic
> pots, and would prefer not to plant them in the garden until next year.
> The plants are Rowan, Lilac, Lychnis Chalcedonica and Helianthus 'Lemon
> Queen'.
>
> Not sure how or where to store them, options being in the garden, an
> unheated greenhouse, unheated porch or unheated but not terribly cold
> bedroom.
>
> I am assuming (or hoping) they will require little more than an
> occasional drop of water until the spring.  Pictures here :
>
> https://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/plants/index.html
>
> Any advice welcome.

They're all hardy, so they'd normally be ok in the garden. In the event
of a severe cold spell there's the risk of the pots freezing solid,
causing frost damage to the roots, or physiological drought. The latter
shouldn't be a problem with plants that lose their leaves over winter.

(I lost all my potted Hibiscus syriacus in 2009/20, but none of those in
the ground.)

*The botanists have changed the name on us - it's now Silene chalcedonica.

--
SRH

Re: Keeping plants over winter, in plastic pots

<sifffi$11hn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1468&group=uk.rec.gardening#1468

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:44:02 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 14:44 UTC

On 22/09/2021 10:16, Graeme wrote:

> I bought four plants at a local sale a few days ago, all in plastic
> pots, and would prefer not to plant them in the garden until next year.
> The plants are Rowan, Lilac, Lychnis Chalcedonica and Helianthus 'Lemon
> Queen'.

They should all be OK in a sheltered spot in the garden. Just keep an
eye on them to make sure they don't get too waterlogged or bone dry.

> Not sure how or where to store them, options being in the garden, an
> unheated greenhouse, unheated porch or unheated but not terribly cold
> bedroom.
>
> I am assuming (or hoping) they will require little more than an
> occasional drop of water until the spring.  Pictures here :
>
> https://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/plants/index.html
>
> Any advice welcome.

Autumn is a good time to plant trees so if you can prepare the site the
rowan and lilac could go in and would have a chance to root down. That
way you might get a better show from them next year.

Bought plants tend to be borderline pot bound at this time of year.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Keeping plants over winter, in plastic pots

<qvjKmvE7T1ShFwY7@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1469&group=uk.rec.gardening#1469

From: New...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Graeme)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 17:08:27 +0100
 by: Graeme - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 16:08 UTC

In message <sifffi$11hn$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> writes

>Autumn is a good time to plant trees so if you can prepare the site the
>rowan and lilac could go in and would have a chance to root down. That
>way you might get a better show from them next year.

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, where I would like to plant the
rowan and lilac in particular is in the vicinity of an area that will
become a building site in the not too distant future, hence the need to
keep them in pots for the time being.

--
Graeme

Re: Keeping plants over winter, in plastic pots

<lNOdndKIudhhNdb8nZ2dnUU78V_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1475&group=uk.rec.gardening#1475

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
From: tahi...@tanygraig.force9.co.uk (tahiri)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 23:06:52 +0100
 by: tahiri - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 22:06 UTC

On 22/09/2021 15:44, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 22/09/2021 10:16, Graeme wrote:
>>
>> I bought four plants at a local sale a few days ago, all in plastic
>> pots, and would prefer not to plant them in the garden until next
>> year. The plants are Rowan, Lilac, Lychnis Chalcedonica and Helianthus
>> 'Lemon Queen'.
>
> They should all be OK in a sheltered spot in the garden. Just keep an
> eye on them to make sure they don't get too waterlogged or bone dry.
>
>> Not sure how or where to store them, options being in the garden, an
>> unheated greenhouse, unheated porch or unheated but not terribly cold
>> bedroom.
>>
>> I am assuming (or hoping) they will require little more than an
>> occasional drop of water until the spring.  Pictures here :
>>
>> https://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/plants/index.html
>>
>> Any advice welcome.
>
> Autumn is a good time to plant trees so if you can prepare the site the
> rowan and lilac could go in and would have a chance to root down. That
> way you might get a better show from them next year.
>
> Bought plants tend to be borderline pot bound at this time of year.

I think Graeme is in Scotland isn't he? Would it not be better to plunge
the pots in a spare bit of flowerbed to give the rootballs some extra
protection?

Re: Keeping plants over winter, in plastic pots

<eppnH5FUyDThFwWL@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1484&group=uk.rec.gardening#1484

From: New...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Graeme)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 09:36:36 +0100
 by: Graeme - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 08:36 UTC

In message <lNOdndKIudhhNdb8nZ2dnUU78V_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, tahiri
<tahiri2@tanygraig.force9.co.uk> writes

>I think Graeme is in Scotland isn't he? Would it not be better to
>plunge the pots in a spare bit of flowerbed to give the rootballs some
>extra protection?

Deeside, Aberdeenshire. Well remembered :-)

Very tempted to keep them in a large (ish) porch at the moment.
Unheated, single glazed and very cold. Reasoning is that, in the porch,
they will not be forgotten whereas in the garden, they may be out of
sight, out of mind. Coupled with that, we will almost certainly get a
lot of snow at some point between now and spring, and I would be happier
if they were under cover of some sort.

Last winter, I kept a couple of fuchsias in an unheated bedroom, but
that was still too warm - them kept flowering all winter. Flowering
well this summer though, in the garden.

You may remember my wild honeysuckle cuttings from last year. Long
story short, of ten, three rooted well, and survived, and were planted
in the garden earlier this year, and seem to be happy.
--
Graeme