From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Run an app strictly on demand
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:38:17 GMT
 by: Pamela - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:38 UTC

I have a weather app which pops up alerts on my Android phone when heavy
rain in expected.

I dont want this running the the whole time, so I have restricted it to
background operation and also enabled battery optimisation.

Somehow it still pops up notifications. How can I prevent this? I want the
app to run only on demand.

The app isn't showing in Running Services in Developer Options. I am using
Android 10.

Re: Run an app strictly on demand

<4UE*dV-Az@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14847&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14847

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Run an app strictly on demand
Date: 23 Jan 2024 16:53:32 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:53 UTC

Pamela <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a weather app which pops up alerts on my Android phone when heavy
> rain in expected.
>
> I dont want this running the the whole time, so I have restricted it to
> background operation and also enabled battery optimisation.
>
> Somehow it still pops up notifications. How can I prevent this? I want the
> app to run only on demand.

Turn off notifications for the app? It may be receiving push notifications
from its server which wake up the app.

I'm not sure if turning off notifications will either stop the app being
woken by push messages, or stop it polling for status updates, but at
least it won't bother you with notifications.

Theo