From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Overheating - CPUID HWMonitor readings
Date: 18 Oct 2021 15:50:27 GMT
 by: David - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:50 UTC

System just shut down on me without warning.
[See sig for details of system.]

I've started it up again and something seems to be running hot.

HWMonitor reports:

TMPIN0 around 40C

TMPIN1 around 67C with maximum 76C

TMPIN2 around 50-55C but one maximum now at 70C

The AMD FX-6300 54C 52C 70C.
[Value, min, max.]
This matches TMPIN2 which makes me think that this is CPU temperature.
So what is TMPIN1?

A clean up and reseat of the fan looks like a good idea with new thermal
paste on the heat sink.

However I would like to know what the hottest reading is for if it isn't
the CPUs.

When it had just stopped and I restarted it there were temperatures around
80C.
I've now shut it down again and taken the side off the case to check that
the fans are running and they seem to be.

Core temp is reporting the same values as TMPIN2.

The confusing part at the moment is that searches all claim that TMPIN1 is
the CPU.

Baffled at the moment.
I need to give the whole thing the once over, but I don't want to do it
just now as I'm in the middle of something!

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Overheating - CPUID HWMonitor readings

<skk5qt$10s7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1485&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1485

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Overheating - CPUID HWMonitor readings
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:02:39 +0100
 by: SH - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:02 UTC

On 18/10/2021 16:50, David wrote:
> System just shut down on me without warning.
> [See sig for details of system.]
>
> I've started it up again and something seems to be running hot.
>
> HWMonitor reports:
>
> TMPIN0 around 40C
>
> TMPIN1 around 67C with maximum 76C
>
> TMPIN2 around 50-55C but one maximum now at 70C
>
> The AMD FX-6300 54C 52C 70C.
> [Value, min, max.]
> This matches TMPIN2 which makes me think that this is CPU temperature.
> So what is TMPIN1?
>
> A clean up and reseat of the fan looks like a good idea with new thermal
> paste on the heat sink.
>
> However I would like to know what the hottest reading is for if it isn't
> the CPUs.
>
> When it had just stopped and I restarted it there were temperatures around
> 80C.
> I've now shut it down again and taken the side off the case to check that
> the fans are running and they seem to be.
>
> Core temp is reporting the same values as TMPIN2.
>
> The confusing part at the moment is that searches all claim that TMPIN1 is
> the CPU.
>
> Baffled at the moment.
> I need to give the whole thing the once over, but I don't want to do it
> just now as I'm in the middle of something!
>

> Cheers
>

> Dave R

sounds like a heatsink fail has failed (check your Fan RPM readings) or
a heatsink has literally fallen off a chip..

Another possibility is someone has hacked your machine to to steal CPU
time to run bitmining code :-)

Re: Overheating - CPUID HWMonitor readings

<it5kvqFe55eU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1486&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1486

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 18 Oct 2021 16:16:58 GMT
 by: David - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:16 UTC

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 15:50:27 +0000, David wrote:

> System just shut down on me without warning.
> [See sig for details of system.]
>
> I've started it up again and something seems to be running hot.
<snip>

I had a thought and checked temperatures with an IR thermometer.

There is an area on the MoBo which is running hot, but it doesn't seem to
be the CPU and cooler.

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA-990X-Gaming-SLI-Socket-Motherboard/
dp/B01DAK8EEA>

This shows pictures of the motherboard.

If you look at the second picture in the series, you can see the CPU
socket, then to the left and up a bit a big heat sink with GIGABYTE
written on it, and a row of silver buttons above the CPU socket with grey
oblongs just above the buttons.

The area around the left hand side of the buttons is running at around 70C
according to the IR thermometer.

Heat sink, CPU, CPU cooler etc. all seem to be down in the 50s or below.

So there seems to be a bit of the MoBo running hot but at the moment I
have no idea what it is.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Overheating - CPUID HWMonitor readings

<it5lo0FeshsU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1487&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1487

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 17:29:52 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:29 UTC

David wrote:

> a row of silver buttons above the CPU socket with grey
> oblongs just above the buttons.
>
> The area around the left hand side of the buttons is running at around 70C
> according to the IR thermometer.

Voltage regulators, they can run warm.