"Plan to throw one away. You will anyway." -- Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

SubjectAuthor
* Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sightRichard Treen
+* Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sightAndy Burns
|`* Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sightWoody
| `- Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sightAndy Burns
`* Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sightPeter Johnson
 `* Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sightRichard Treen
  `* Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sightDavid Rance
   `* Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sightDavey
    `* Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sightJava Jive
     +- Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sightDave Royal
     `- Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sightDavid Rance

1
Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<jkp7rihl9dmnidotdthjca145640n11h2h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14854&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14854

From: treenoa...@home.com (Richard Treen)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:18:11 +0000
 by: Richard Treen - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:18 UTC

I bought the Samsung S23 Ultra for the improved, clearer ( to me)
display and I've got great hopes on that basis.
What has shocked me is the constant stream of prompts, requests and
requirements to install this, agree to that, and buy the other.
There was never such an onslaught of demands on my previous phones.
Is this particularly a Samsung thing?
If it is, is there a centralised information source covering how to
deal with this and reduce the problem?
--

Ric_Treen

Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<l1i8dpFkkmpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14855&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14855

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:28:25 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:28 UTC

Richard Treen wrote:

> I bought the Samsung S23 Ultra for the improved, clearer ( to me)
> display and I've got great hopes on that basis.
> What has shocked me is the constant stream of prompts, requests and
> requirements to install this, agree to that, and buy the other.
> There was never such an onslaught of demands on my previous phones.
> Is this particularly a Samsung thing?

Most of the smartphones I've owned have been Nexus/Pixel devices, the
exception being that I inherited a Samsung from my Dad, I waited until
it had a major android version bump, the factory reset it, set it up for
one of my nephews ... and yes, far more prompts as you mention to agree
to this, enable that, install the other.

> If it is, is there a centralised information source covering how to
> deal with this and reduce the problem?

I didn't keep the phone long enough to find out.

Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<up0sl8$2vf3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14856&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14856

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:11:51 +0000
 by: Woody - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:11 UTC

On Fri 26/01/2024 17:28, Andy Burns wrote:
> Richard Treen wrote:
>
>> I bought the Samsung S23 Ultra for the improved, clearer ( to me)
>> display and I've got great hopes on that basis.
>> What has shocked me is the constant stream of prompts, requests and
>> requirements to install this, agree to that, and buy the other.
>> There was never such an onslaught of demands on my previous phones.
>> Is this particularly a Samsung thing?
>
> Most of the smartphones I've owned have been Nexus/Pixel devices, the
> exception being that I inherited a Samsung from my Dad, I waited until
> it had a major android version bump, the factory reset it, set it up for
> one of my nephews ... and yes, far more prompts as you mention to agree
> to this, enable that, install the other.
>
>> If it is, is there a centralised information source covering how to
>> deal with this and reduce the problem?
>
> I didn't keep the phone long enough to find out.

Never had that problem with Huawei, but Herr Trump last time around
stopped Android being sold to them in case their systems had a 'back
door'. Ergo you can no longer use Google Play - which is one reason for
getting an Android phone as against an iPhone (pah - (spits).)

Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<l1ibehFkkmpU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14857&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14857

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:20:00 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:20 UTC

Woody wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I inherited a Samsung from my Dad, I waited until
>> it had a major android version bump, the factory reset it, set it up
>> for one of my nephews ... and yes, far more prompts as you mention to
>> agree to this, enable that, install the other.
>
> Never had that problem with Huawei, but Herr Trump last time around
> stopped Android being sold to them in case their systems had a 'back
> door'. Ergo you can no longer use Google Play - which is one reason for
> getting an Android phone as against an iPhone (pah - (spits).)

I do have a Huawei tablet, as you say it got "stuck" on android 9 due to
export bans etc, but it does still use Google Play

Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<3pncri5lile49qeaaf82uq7v22787gp0gu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14859&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14859

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:18:02 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:18 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:18:11 +0000, Richard Treen
<treenoakio@home.com> wrote:

>I bought the Samsung S23 Ultra for the improved, clearer ( to me)
>display and I've got great hopes on that basis.
>What has shocked me is the constant stream of prompts, requests and
>requirements to install this, agree to that, and buy the other.
>There was never such an onslaught of demands on my previous phones.
>Is this particularly a Samsung thing?
>If it is, is there a centralised information source covering how to
>deal with this and reduce the problem?

I have one of them but haven't had any issue with unwanted prompts
etc.
I'd suggest going into settings/notifications/app notifications and
turn off the notification for everything that you don't want to hear
from. There will be much more than you expect.
I did this with an earlier phone and probably didn't get troubled by
the S23 Ultra because the previous settings were copied over.
(I have also uninstalled all the pre-installed apps that I don't use
that it is possible to uninstall.)

Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<e8qeri568i0r303i7tsnpt0hq9lj98nhgp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14860&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14860

From: treenoa...@home.com (Richard Treen)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:36:02 +0000
 by: Richard Treen - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:36 UTC

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:18:02 +0000, Peter Johnson
<peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:18:11 +0000, Richard Treen
><treenoakio@home.com> wrote:
>
>>I bought the Samsung S23 Ultra for the improved, clearer ( to me)
>>display and I've got great hopes on that basis.
>>What has shocked me is the constant stream of prompts, requests and
>>requirements to install this, agree to that, and buy the other.
>>There was never such an onslaught of demands on my previous phones.
>>Is this particularly a Samsung thing?
>>If it is, is there a centralised information source covering how to
>>deal with this and reduce the problem?
>
>I have one of them but haven't had any issue with unwanted prompts
>etc.
>I'd suggest going into settings/notifications/app notifications and
>turn off the notification for everything that you don't want to hear
>from. There will be much more than you expect.
>I did this with an earlier phone and probably didn't get troubled by
>the S23 Ultra because the previous settings were copied over.
>(I have also uninstalled all the pre-installed apps that I don't use
>that it is possible to uninstall.)

Thanks for the advice. I've already turned off App notifications and
now uninstalled or disabled unwanted apps.

As a result of a further search, I was advised to make a more thorough
reduction of unwanted interruptions by going to:
Settings > Samsung Account > Security and privacy > Customization
Service, then turn it off.

I get as far as "Settings > Samsung Account" and am invited to sign
in with my Google account.
Oh Good! that seems nice and easy
My GMaill login name is already entered automatically
I enter my much used GMail password
WRONG PASSWORD!
Just to be on the safe side and to be sure to placate Samsung I go to
Google, logging in effectively with my usual Google password and
change my password to a new one.

Back to Settings > Samsung Account
Attempt to sign in with Gmail account
Before even entering my password Samsung say:
"You have had this password for a long time please change it"
Enter exiting (new) password > OK
Enter (extra)new password > OK
Confirm (extra)new password > OK
WRONG PASSWORD!

Oh dear!
But all is not lost. I'm Informed that I can be sent an emailed
password reset message.

Salvation!

I go to my email, click on the password reset button
Get taken to the Samsung site, where I'm offered to
Enter new password > OK
Confirm new password > OK

Whoopee!

Back to Settings > Samsung Account
Attempt to sign in with Gmail account
Before even entering my password Samsung say:
"You have had this password for a long time please change it"
Enter exiting (new, new) password > OK
Enter (extra, extra)new password > OK
Confirm (extra)new password > OK
WRONG PASSWORD!
--

Ric_Treen

Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<GTvBC6Mhv8tlFwmu@david.rance.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14861&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14861

From: david.ra...@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:01:37 +0000
 by: David Rance - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:01 UTC

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:36:02 Richard Treen wrote:

> [...]
>Attempt to sign in with Gmail account
>Before even entering my password Samsung say:
>"You have had this password for a long time please change it"
>Enter exiting (new) password > OK
>Enter (extra)new password > OK
>Confirm (extra)new password > OK
>WRONG PASSWORD!
>
>Oh dear!
>But all is not lost. I'm Informed that I can be sent an emailed
>password reset message.
>
>Salvation!
>
>I go to my email, click on the password reset button
>Get taken to the Samsung site, where I'm offered to
>Enter new password > OK
>Confirm new password > OK
>
>Whoopee!
>
>Back to Settings > Samsung Account
>Attempt to sign in with Gmail account
>Before even entering my password Samsung say:
>"You have had this password for a long time please change it"

If anyone can remember a TV drama series called "Blott on the Landscape"
then the name Dundridge might well be applicable here as the author of
such software!

David

Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<up9d0l$ledt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14864&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14864

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:40:05 +0000
 by: Davey - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 23:40 UTC

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:01:37 +0000
David Rance <david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:36:02 Richard Treen wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:18:02 +0000, Peter Johnson
> ><peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

> >>I have one of them but haven't had any issue with unwanted prompts
> >>etc.
> >>I'd suggest going into settings/notifications/app notifications and
> >>turn off the notification for everything that you don't want to hear
> >>from. There will be much more than you expect.
> >>I did this with an earlier phone and probably didn't get troubled by
> >>the S23 Ultra because the previous settings were copied over.
> >>(I have also uninstalled all the pre-installed apps that I don't use
> >>that it is possible to uninstall.)
> >
> >Thanks for the advice. I've already turned off App notifications and
> >now uninstalled or disabled unwanted apps.
> >
> >As a result of a further search, I was advised to make a more
> >thorough reduction of unwanted interruptions by going to:
> > Settings > Samsung Account > Security and privacy > Customization
> >Service, then turn it off.
> >
> >I get as far as "Settings > Samsung Account" and am invited to sign
> >in with my Google account.
> >Oh Good! that seems nice and easy
> >My GMaill login name is already entered automatically
> >I enter my much used GMail password
> >WRONG PASSWORD!
> >Just to be on the safe side and to be sure to placate Samsung I go to
> >Google, logging in effectively with my usual Google password and
> >change my password to a new one.
> >
> >Back to Settings > Samsung Account
> >Attempt to sign in with Gmail account
> >Before even entering my password Samsung say:
> >"You have had this password for a long time please change it"
> >Enter exiting (new) password > OK
> >Enter (extra)new password > OK
> >Confirm (extra)new password > OK
> >WRONG PASSWORD!
> >
> >Oh dear!
> >But all is not lost. I'm Informed that I can be sent an emailed
> >password reset message.
> >
> >Salvation!
> >
> >I go to my email, click on the password reset button
> >Get taken to the Samsung site, where I'm offered to
> >Enter new password > OK
> >Confirm new password > OK
> >
> >Whoopee!
> >
> >Back to Settings > Samsung Account
> >Attempt to sign in with Gmail account
> >Before even entering my password Samsung say:
> >"You have had this password for a long time please change it"
> >Enter exiting (new, new) password > OK
> >Enter (extra, extra)new password > OK
> >Confirm (extra)new password > OK
> >WRONG PASSWORD!
>
> If anyone can remember a TV drama series called "Blott on the
> Landscape" then the name Dundridge might well be applicable here as
> the author of such software!
>
> David

Yes, Blott became Poirot later.

--
Davey.

Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<upajjo$uu0j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14866&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14866

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:38:50 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:38 UTC

On 29/01/2024 23:40, Davey wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:01:37 +0000
>>
>> If anyone can remember a TV drama series called "Blott on the
>> Landscape" then the name Dundridge might well be applicable here as
>> the author of such software!
>
> Yes, Blott became Poirot later.

A pretty good adaptation of Tom Sharpe's original book, which, like most
of his books, is a good & entertainingly funny read.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<upaouo$vp0r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14868&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14868

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:10:00 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:10 UTC

Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> Wrote in message:

> On 29/01/2024 23:40, Davey wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:01:37 +0000
>>>
>>> If anyone can remember a TV drama series called "Blott on the
>>> Landscape" then the name Dundridge might well be applicable here as
>>> the author of such software!
>>
>> Yes, Blott became Poirot later.
>
> A pretty good adaptation of Tom Sharpe's original book, which, like most
> of his books, is a good & entertainingly funny read.

He wrote a load of similar ones, of which I remember reading the
first four:
<https://www.mostrecommendedbooks.com/series/tom-sharpe-books-in-order>
--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: Was: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<tce7Rqbpw2ulFw6d@david.rance.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14883&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14883

From: david.ra...@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:02:17 +0000
 by: David Rance - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:02 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:38:50 Java Jive wrote:

>On 29/01/2024 23:40, Davey wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:01:37 +0000
>>>
>>> If anyone can remember a TV drama series called "Blott on the
>>> Landscape" then the name Dundridge might well be applicable here as
>>> the author of such software!
>> Yes, Blott became Poirot later.
>
>A pretty good adaptation of Tom Sharpe's original book, which, like
>most of his books, is a good & entertainingly funny read.

And it had a stellar cast: In addition to David Suchet (Blott) there was
George Cole, Geraldine James and the Dundridge character played by Simon
Cadell.

I think I'm right that David Suchet once said that it was "Blott" that
actually led to him being offered the part of Poirot.

David