You have Egyptian flu: you're going to be a mummy.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin

SubjectAuthor
* Food in the Bird Bath for a Robinjohn west
+* Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a RobinChris Bacon
|`- Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a RobinAndy Burns
`* Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a RobinChris Hogg
 +* Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a RobinJeff Layman
 |+- Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a RobinAndy Burns
 |`- Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a RobinGraeme
 +- Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a RobinJenny M Benson
 +* Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a RobinMartin Brown
 |`- Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a RobinChris Bacon
 `- Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robinalan_m

1
Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin

<sifvss$mrp$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1471&group=uk.rec.gardening#1471

From: mail.inv...@mail.invalid (john west)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 20:24:14 +0100
 by: john west - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 19:24 UTC

The Robin in our garden has totally ignored some dried meal worms we
have left for some time in various places in the Garden.
It does come regularly for a wash in a shallow tray we have on the
ground as a bird bath.
Could we put in the bath some meal worms and chopped up peanuts and
anything else that he might take to ? Preferably something that will
not disintegrate soaking in the water.

Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin

<sig1m0$5pb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1472&group=uk.rec.gardening#1472

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 20:54:40 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 19:54 UTC

On 22/09/2021 20:24, john west wrote:

> The Robin in our garden has totally ignored some dried meal worms we
> have left for some time in various places in the Garden.
> It does come regularly for a wash in a shallow tray we have on the
> ground as a bird bath.
> Could we put in the bath some meal worms and chopped up peanuts and
> anything else that he might take to ?  Preferably something that will
> not disintegrate soaking in the water.

If it's not hungry, it's not hungry. Get out there, see where it goes,
and put food nearby, preferably protected from the big birds which will
scoff the lot (I hang a feeder under an oblong fof mesh from a "mini
greenhouse", the bigger birds are too ungainly to be abl to get at it).

Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin

<1l7nkg9qa3uai3kj1977lbv6ifie0j40cd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1474&group=uk.rec.gardening#1474

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 22:42:56 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 21:42 UTC

On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 20:24:14 +0100, john west
<mail.invalid456@mail.invalid> wrote:

>The Robin in our garden has totally ignored some dried meal worms we
>have left for some time in various places in the Garden.
>It does come regularly for a wash in a shallow tray we have on the
>ground as a bird bath.
>Could we put in the bath some meal worms and chopped up peanuts and
>anything else that he might take to ? Preferably something that will
>not disintegrate soaking in the water.

I put out three feeders earlier in the year - fat-balls, peanuts and
mixed seeds. The latter two were almost totally ignored by all of the
birds, but a pair of robins worked the fat-balls all the time, the (I
presume) male also feeding the (I presume) female, which is what they
do apparently (I read it gives the female extra nourishment when
laying her eggs). They must have had a nest very close by because they
were making repeat visits to the feeder every few minutes at one time.
Not seen them for several weeks now though - I assume the brood has
flown the nest and the pair have gone their separate ways.

The occasional blackbird and blue-tit also had a go at the fat-balls.

I also tried dried mealworms, but they didn't generate much interest
either.

But I eventually put the peanuts into a open dish, and they were all
scoffed by magpies, jackdaws, pigeons and seagulls. The mixed seed in
that feeder are very slowly going down - I see a pigeon and sometimes
a magpie on it.

Perhaps in the depths of winter when food is more scarce I'll
re-charge all three feeders and see if there are any takers, but I
shan't be in a hurry to put out bird-food again if there's plenty
around naturally.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin

<sih8ku$sl2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1476&group=uk.rec.gardening#1476

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 07:59:42 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 06:59 UTC

On 22/09/2021 22:42, Chris Hogg wrote:

> I put out three feeders earlier in the year - fat-balls, peanuts and
> mixed seeds. The latter two were almost totally ignored by all of the
> birds, but a pair of robins worked the fat-balls all the time, the (I
> presume) male also feeding the (I presume) female, which is what they
> do apparently (I read it gives the female extra nourishment when
> laying her eggs). They must have had a nest very close by because they
> were making repeat visits to the feeder every few minutes at one time.
> Not seen them for several weeks now though - I assume the brood has
> flown the nest and the pair have gone their separate ways.
>
> But I eventually put the peanuts into a open dish, and they were all
> scoffed by magpies, jackdaws, pigeons and seagulls. The mixed seed in
> that feeder are very slowly going down - I see a pigeon and sometimes
> a magpie on it.
>
> Perhaps in the depths of winter when food is more scarce I'll
> re-charge all three feeders and see if there are any takers, but I
> shan't be in a hurry to put out bird-food again if there's plenty
> around naturally.

I don't bother feeding birds in summer. Even in winter I use only
peanuts and the cheapest mixed seed. No matter what mixed seed is used,
the tits and other birds will sort through it and just throw out what
they don't want leaving a mess under the feeder. I have to accept
pigeons because at least they do a good clean-up job on any fallen seeds.

We haven't had goldfinches for ages because I stopped feeding them
sunflower hearts. They used to eat only the plumpest seeds and, like the
tits with the mixed seeds, eject any half-seeds, leaving an expensive
mess. Some time ago I used niger (nyjer?) seed which attracted some
goldfinches. It was, though, more effective as a very fast-growing plant
for composting, growing to up to 2m in a couple of months.

The peanuts are fine and last a long time, as the feeder defeats the
squirrels. I haven't tried fat balls for ages, but might go back to
those rather than mixed seed.

--

Jeff

Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin

<ir2q8tFjed9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1481&group=uk.rec.gardening#1481

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 08:56:12 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 07:56 UTC

Chris Bacon wrote:

> john west wrote:
>
>> The Robin in our garden has totally ignored some dried meal worms we have left
>> for some time in various places in the Garden.
>
> If it's not hungry, it's not hungry. Get out there, see where it goes, and put
> food nearby

"my" robin must have eyes in the back of his head, if I so much as scratch the
ground with a stick, the moment my back is turned he'll be down there having a
look for insects etc ... maybe get yours to see you dropping the food?

Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin

<ir2qemFjed9U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1482&group=uk.rec.gardening#1482

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 08:59:18 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 07:59 UTC

Jeff Layman wrote:

> The peanuts are fine and last a long time

Peanuts last an infinite time here, nothing seems to eat them any more, they
just go mouldy and need replacing, I've run out now, so obviously not buying any
more ... they used to eat them a few years ago.

Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin

<ir3197Fko9mU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1485&group=uk.rec.gardening#1485

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 10:55:51 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 09:55 UTC

On 22/09/2021 22:42, Chris Hogg wrote:
> I also tried dried mealworms, but they didn't generate much interest
> either.

Odd, because dried mealworms are like hot cakes at my feeding station.
I have to limit their availability because I couldn't afford to keep
them on offer all the time.

> But I eventually put the peanuts into a open dish, and they were all
> scoffed by magpies, jackdaws, pigeons and seagulls. The mixed seed in
> that feeder are very slowly going down - I see a pigeon and sometimes
> a magpie on it.

I've given up with peanuts as they always ended up going stale. Fat
balls are always popular. I got fed up with wood pigeons devouring all
the seed so I removed the tray they stood on to reach the feeder.
Seeing them about to land and realising it wasn't there any more, then
discovering that what they could perch on didn't allow them to reach the
seed, was really rather funny, if a bit cruel.

I used to get a good variety of birds on my feeders, but now it is
little other than house sparrows and a few blackbirds nosey about on the
ground beneath. A fearless robin has put in an appearance in the last
few days but not actually seen it on the feeders.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin

<ocP6qIIPYFThFwyi@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1486&group=uk.rec.gardening#1486

From: New...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Graeme)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 11:25:19 +0100
 by: Graeme - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 10:25 UTC

In message <sih8ku$sl2$1@dont-email.me>, Jeff Layman
<jmlayman@invalid.invalid> writes

>I don't bother feeding birds in summer. Even in winter I use only
>peanuts and the cheapest mixed seed.

Very much agree, particularly at this time of the year. Gardens and
hedgerows are full of fruit and berries, and, watching the birds, the
ground and lawn are soft enough for them to find all manner of creepy
crawlies.

Blackbirds in particular love wind fall apples, so I always keep a box
full and put them out, halved, in the depths of winter, together with
mixed seeds. A few raisins too, and the odd fat ball. Seems to keep
them happy and well fed. Biggest job in January and February is water,
which has to be changed up several times a day, otherwise it is just a
block of ice.

One of the biggest benefits of retirement is the time to just watch the
birds, and look forward to seeing them gathering nest building
materials, one of the first signs of spring.

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare ...

--
Graeme

Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin

<sii8tp$j90$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1487&group=uk.rec.gardening#1487

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 17:10:33 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 16:10 UTC

On 22/09/2021 22:42, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 20:24:14 +0100, john west
> <mail.invalid456@mail.invalid> wrote:
>

>> The Robin in our garden has totally ignored some dried meal worms we
>> have left for some time in various places in the Garden.
>> It does come regularly for a wash in a shallow tray we have on the
>> ground as a bird bath.
>> Could we put in the bath some meal worms and chopped up peanuts and
>> anything else that he might take to ? Preferably something that will
>> not disintegrate soaking in the water.

Robins tend to be much more interested in fresh juicy worms when you are
digging over the garden. Our resident male follows me round!

> I put out three feeders earlier in the year - fat-balls, peanuts and
> mixed seeds. The latter two were almost totally ignored by all of the
> birds, but a pair of robins worked the fat-balls all the time, the (I
> presume) male also feeding the (I presume) female, which is what they
> do apparently (I read it gives the female extra nourishment when
> laying her eggs). They must have had a nest very close by because they
> were making repeat visits to the feeder every few minutes at one time.
> Not seen them for several weeks now though - I assume the brood has
> flown the nest and the pair have gone their separate ways.
>
> The occasional blackbird and blue-tit also had a go at the fat-balls.

Round here I only really do peanuts in the late autumn and winter. I
stop feeding when spring comes as I want the birds to eat caterpillars
and aphids (much better for the chicks as well - peanuts are too dry).

Our local birds will demolish a full feeder of peanuts in just a few
days. Sparrows have proved very adept at it followed by tits of all
sizes, the odd tree creeper and greater spotted woodpecker. A
surprisingly nervous bird considering its size and strength. I have had
the lesser spotted woodpecker on it too but not for a while now.

Perhaps most interesting a few local crows have learned how to take on
one of the feeders by landing simultaneously on both sides. Just one has
learned how to do it solo by latching on and wrapping its tail under the
feeder to stabilise itself (falls off backwards about 1 in 3 attempts).
It is very entertaining to watch so I don't begrudge them some peanuts.

> Perhaps in the depths of winter when food is more scarce I'll
> re-charge all three feeders and see if there are any takers, but I
> shan't be in a hurry to put out bird-food again if there's plenty
> around naturally.

Peanuts seem to be by far the most popular with my local birds. The
other advantage is that they don't grow if spilled by messy eaters.

They absolutely refuse to eat up scraps of bread. Only pigeons and doves
will come down for that. Right now there are enormous numbers of ripe
berries in the hedgerows so they are pretty busy polishing them off!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin

<ir3nokFosspU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1488&group=uk.rec.gardening#1488

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 17:19:32 +0100
 by: alan_m - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 16:19 UTC

On 22/09/2021 22:42, Chris Hogg wrote:

> I put out three feeders earlier in the year - fat-balls, peanuts and
> mixed seeds. The latter two were almost totally ignored by all of the
> birds, but a pair of robins worked the fat-balls all the time, the (I
> presume) male also feeding the (I presume) female, which is what they
> do apparently (I read it gives the female extra nourishment when
> laying her eggs). They must have had a nest very close by because they
> were making repeat visits to the feeder every few minutes at one time.
> Not seen them for several weeks now though - I assume the brood has
> flown the nest and the pair have gone their separate ways.

Fat balls in my garden haven't been touched in months

The mixed seed feeders were also ignored for a couple of months until
recently - birds are now (slowly) returning to them.

Re: Food in the Bird Bath for a Robin

<siif8j$1oia$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1489&group=uk.rec.gardening#1489

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 18:58:43 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 17:58 UTC

On 23/09/2021 17:10, Martin Brown wrote:
> Robins tend to be much more interested in fresh juicy worms when you are
> digging over the garden. Our resident male follows me round!

I've got a picture of one which came to sit on the toe of my boot when I
has digging out to put a few slabs down under the apple tree. Nice
little thing. No idea what sex it was, it's hard to tell unless... but
that's in the spring. I pick out wireworms and othe pests when I'm
digging, and put them in a pot saucer or similar for the birds. It's
interesting; robins, for instance, will only eat the head and thorax,
maybe part of the abdomen of cockchafer larvae (I am not surprised).
They love wireworms, and collect numbers in their beaks. One robin I
nicknaked "Groucho", as he appeared to have a dense, writhing moustache
as he flew off to deliver them to his offspring. Sparrows are ambitious,
and will take big prey, such as the female cockchafer beetle I took
photos of, with others, earlier in the year. I threw it up in the air,
to admire it in flight, and an opportunistic sparrow intercepted the
thing, and bashed it senseless in my seedling sunflowers, before flying
off with it.