From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Virgin Media most-complained about broadband provider
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:07:55 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:07 UTC

Virgin Media most-complained about broadband provider
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68093374

"Virgin Media is the most-complained about broadband, landline phone and
pay-TV service in the UK.

The company attracted 32 complaints per 100,000 broadband customers
between July and September 2023, regulator Ofcom said.

For pay monthly mobile services, O2, which is part of the same group as
Virgin, attracted the most gripes.

Virgin Media O2 admitted the figures fell short of its expectations but
said customer service was its priority.

Alongside Virgin Media, NOW Broadband and TalkTalk received
higher-than-average numbers of complaints for their landline services,
while NOW Broadband also received higher-than-average complaints about
broadband.

Sky was the best-performing firm when it came to broadband, with only
five complaints per 100,000 customers."

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Virgin Media most-complained about broadband provider

<up0c7j$2rden$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14907&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14907

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:31:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:e0/cqlvvW0ZXnsHprbDkNrK6jQ8=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:31 UTC

Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
> Virgin Media most-complained about broadband provider
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68093374
>
> "Virgin Media is the most-complained about broadband, landline phone and
> pay-TV service in the UK.
>
> The company attracted 32 complaints per 100,000 broadband customers
> between July and September 2023, regulator Ofcom said.
>
> For pay monthly mobile services, O2, which is part of the same group as
> Virgin, attracted the most gripes.
>
> Virgin Media O2 admitted the figures fell short of its expectations but
> said customer service was its priority.
>
> Alongside Virgin Media, NOW Broadband and TalkTalk received
> higher-than-average numbers of complaints for their landline services,
> while NOW Broadband also received higher-than-average complaints about
> broadband.
>
> Sky was the best-performing firm when it came to broadband, with only
> five complaints per 100,000 customers."

Unsurprising - their pricing policy for customers coming off introductory
contracts isn’t going to put the customer in the best frame of mind. They
are wanting £62/month for their 250/25 Mbit service for my son.
Unfortunately he has no viable alternative at the moment. My IDNET 500/500
service via City Fibre is only £38/month, and you can get cheaper if you
are prepared to put up with some of the larger ISPs. VM tried to charge me
after I left them, well outside of the month’s notice period I gave. They
did manage to cut the service on the expected date, so at best poor
internal processes.

Re: Virgin Media most-complained about broadband provider

<up0nqi$2uljf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14908&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14908

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:49:19 +0000
 by: Woody - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:49 UTC

On Fri 26/01/2024 13:31, Tweed wrote:
> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>> Virgin Media most-complained about broadband provider
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68093374
>>
>> "Virgin Media is the most-complained about broadband, landline phone and
>> pay-TV service in the UK.
>>
>> The company attracted 32 complaints per 100,000 broadband customers
>> between July and September 2023, regulator Ofcom said.
>>
>> For pay monthly mobile services, O2, which is part of the same group as
>> Virgin, attracted the most gripes.
>>
>> Virgin Media O2 admitted the figures fell short of its expectations but
>> said customer service was its priority.
>>
>> Alongside Virgin Media, NOW Broadband and TalkTalk received
>> higher-than-average numbers of complaints for their landline services,
>> while NOW Broadband also received higher-than-average complaints about
>> broadband.
>>
>> Sky was the best-performing firm when it came to broadband, with only
>> five complaints per 100,000 customers."
>>

> Unsurprising - their pricing policy for customers coming off introductory
> contracts isn’t going to put the customer in the best frame of mind. They
> are wanting £62/month for their 250/25 Mbit service for my son.
> Unfortunately he has no viable alternative at the moment. My IDNET 500/500
> service via City Fibre is only £38/month, and you can get cheaper if you
> are prepared to put up with some of the larger ISPs. VM tried to charge me
> after I left them, well outside of the month’s notice period I gave. They
> did manage to cut the service on the expected date, so at best poor
> internal processes.

Did you argue with them when your contract was nearing the end? I am on
50/5 (enough for my needs) for which (after the mid year rise from £36)
I was paying £42 and it was going up to £51. They sent me a letter which
showed that if I were a new customer I would be paying £34 for M125
which would rise after 18 months to £57 (which I accidentally read as £51.)
I rang Retentions and argued that I didn't like the idea - after being a
customer for 23+ years - of subsidising new customers, plus there is a
CityFibre pole outside my gate from which I can have 160MB both ways for
£28/m. The guy went away for a minute or so, then came back and said I
can have my 50/5 for £35/m. Needless to say I took it and it gives me a
good lever in 18 months time!

VM will usually charge you for 3 months (nominally 90 days) from your
contract termination date so that you can collect any incoming emails
etc and change your email addresses.

Have you looked around to see if there is a 4G/5G signal available at
good strength for your son? GiffGaff for instance will do you unlimited
data for about £25/m with free calls and texts. Get a 4G/5G router/mi-fi
(as appropriate) and off you go.

Re: Virgin Media most-complained about broadband provider

<up1337$30j9t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14909&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14909

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:01:43 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:a4pCS9UMBVU3Ez/d2Sh0NIkOa18=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:01 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Fri 26/01/2024 13:31, Tweed wrote:
>> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>>> Virgin Media most-complained about broadband provider
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68093374
>>>
>>> "Virgin Media is the most-complained about broadband, landline phone and
>>> pay-TV service in the UK.
>>>
>>> The company attracted 32 complaints per 100,000 broadband customers
>>> between July and September 2023, regulator Ofcom said.
>>>
>>> For pay monthly mobile services, O2, which is part of the same group as
>>> Virgin, attracted the most gripes.
>>>
>>> Virgin Media O2 admitted the figures fell short of its expectations but
>>> said customer service was its priority.
>>>
>>> Alongside Virgin Media, NOW Broadband and TalkTalk received
>>> higher-than-average numbers of complaints for their landline services,
>>> while NOW Broadband also received higher-than-average complaints about
>>> broadband.
>>>
>>> Sky was the best-performing firm when it came to broadband, with only
>>> five complaints per 100,000 customers."
>>>

>> Unsurprising - their pricing policy for customers coming off introductory
>> contracts isn’t going to put the customer in the best frame of mind. They
>> are wanting £62/month for their 250/25 Mbit service for my son.
>> Unfortunately he has no viable alternative at the moment. My IDNET 500/500
>> service via City Fibre is only £38/month, and you can get cheaper if you
>> are prepared to put up with some of the larger ISPs. VM tried to charge me
>> after I left them, well outside of the month’s notice period I gave. They
>> did manage to cut the service on the expected date, so at best poor
>> internal processes.
>>

> Did you argue with them when your contract was nearing the end? I am on
> 50/5 (enough for my needs) for which (after the mid year rise from £36)
> I was paying £42 and it was going up to £51. They sent me a letter which
> showed that if I were a new customer I would be paying £34 for M125
> which would rise after 18 months to £57 (which I accidentally read as £51.)
> I rang Retentions and argued that I didn't like the idea - after being a
> customer for 23+ years - of subsidising new customers, plus there is a
> CityFibre pole outside my gate from which I can have 160MB both ways for
> £28/m. The guy went away for a minute or so, then came back and said I
> can have my 50/5 for £35/m. Needless to say I took it and it gives me a
> good lever in 18 months time!
>
> VM will usually charge you for 3 months (nominally 90 days) from your
> contract termination date so that you can collect any incoming emails
> etc and change your email addresses.
>
> Have you looked around to see if there is a 4G/5G signal available at
> good strength for your son? GiffGaff for instance will do you unlimited
> data for about £25/m with free calls and texts. Get a 4G/5G router/mi-fi
> (as appropriate) and off you go.

They did try to offer me a cheaper deal once I’d handed in my notice.
However I fed up with having to barter with them. The CityFibre connection
is far superior, lower latency, less jitter and upload as fast as download,
and with IDNET a static IPv4 address, and a range of IPv6 addresses.
Customer service is excellent, email queries are answered by return with
logical answers that make sense.

Unfortunately mobile phone speeds for my son are very slow on both EE and
Vodafone.

Re: Virgin Media most-complained about broadband provider

<up16h0$31461$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14910&group=uk.telecom.broadband#14910

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:00:15 +0000
 by: Woody - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:00 UTC

On Fri 26/01/2024 20:01, Tweed wrote:
> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> Unsurprising - their pricing policy for customers coming off introductory
>>> contracts isn’t going to put the customer in the best frame of mind. They
>>> are wanting £62/month for their 250/25 Mbit service for my son.
>>> Unfortunately he has no viable alternative at the moment. My IDNET 500/500
>>> service via City Fibre is only £38/month, and you can get cheaper if you
>>> are prepared to put up with some of the larger ISPs. VM tried to charge me
>>> after I left them, well outside of the month’s notice period I gave. They
>>> did manage to cut the service on the expected date, so at best poor
>>> internal processes.
>>>

>> Did you argue with them when your contract was nearing the end? I am on
>> 50/5 (enough for my needs) for which (after the mid year rise from £36)
>> I was paying £42 and it was going up to £51. They sent me a letter which
>> showed that if I were a new customer I would be paying £34 for M125
>> which would rise after 18 months to £57 (which I accidentally read as £51.)
>> I rang Retentions and argued that I didn't like the idea - after being a
>> customer for 23+ years - of subsidising new customers, plus there is a
>> CityFibre pole outside my gate from which I can have 160MB both ways for
>> £28/m. The guy went away for a minute or so, then came back and said I
>> can have my 50/5 for £35/m. Needless to say I took it and it gives me a
>> good lever in 18 months time!
>>
>> VM will usually charge you for 3 months (nominally 90 days) from your
>> contract termination date so that you can collect any incoming emails
>> etc and change your email addresses.
>>
>> Have you looked around to see if there is a 4G/5G signal available at
>> good strength for your son? GiffGaff for instance will do you unlimited
>> data for about £25/m with free calls and texts. Get a 4G/5G router/mi-fi
>> (as appropriate) and off you go.
>>

> They did try to offer me a cheaper deal once I’d handed in my notice.
> However I fed up with having to barter with them. The CityFibre connection
> is far superior, lower latency, less jitter and upload as fast as download,
> and with IDNET a static IPv4 address, and a range of IPv6 addresses.
> Customer service is excellent, email queries are answered by return with
> logical answers that make sense.
>
> Unfortunately mobile phone speeds for my son are very slow on both EE and
> Vodafone.

GiffGaff runs on O2. Tried it?