She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong. -- Mae West

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

SubjectAuthor
* ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltarjeremy
+* ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltarMark Olson
|+* ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltarTurby
||`- ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltarMark Olson
|`* ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltarBoots
| `- ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltarMark Olson
+* ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltargeoffC
|`* ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltarPaul Carmichael
| +* ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltargeoffC
| |`- ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltarPipl
| `- ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltarWUN
+* ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltarwessie
|`* ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltarjeremy
| `* ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltarogden
|  `* ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltarStephen Packer
|   `- ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltarWUN
`* ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into GibraltarPaul Carmichael
 `- ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltarjeremy

1
ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<k47gr7F2uhkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14659&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14659

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar
Date: 4 Feb 2023 16:52:55 GMT
 by: jeremy - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 16:52 UTC

Just about to press the button on flights for a holiday at the end of the
summer - we're planning to stay in the Andalucia region - the town is around
1hr from gibraltar airport or 1.5hrs from Malaga - so Gibraltar looks
favourite.

But noting that it's actually UK territory & post-brexit blah blah - any
things to be aware of regarding car hire *in* Gibraltar (i.e. right at the
airport) as opposed to renting in Spain?
--
jeremy

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<trmdr7$23u11$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14660&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14660

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 20:05:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 20:05 UTC

jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just about to press the button on flights for a holiday at the end of the
> summer - we're planning to stay in the Andalucia region - the town is around
> 1hr from gibraltar airport or 1.5hrs from Malaga - so Gibraltar looks
> favourite.
>
> But noting that it's actually UK territory & post-brexit blah blah - any
> things to be aware of regarding car hire *in* Gibraltar (i.e. right at the
> airport) as opposed to renting in Spain?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaque_on_a_tourist.jpg#/media/File:Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaque_on_a_tourist.jpg

Showed this to P. Response: "Nope, nope, nope."

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<trn3uj$27nmq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14663&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14663

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 18:23:15 -0800
 by: Turby - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 02:23 UTC

On 2/4/2023 12:05 PM, Mark Olson wrote:
> jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just about to press the button on flights for a holiday at the end of the
>> summer - we're planning to stay in the Andalucia region - the town is around
>> 1hr from gibraltar airport or 1.5hrs from Malaga - so Gibraltar looks
>> favourite.
>>
>> But noting that it's actually UK territory & post-brexit blah blah - any
>> things to be aware of regarding car hire *in* Gibraltar (i.e. right at the
>> airport) as opposed to renting in Spain?
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaque_on_a_tourist.jpg#/media/File:Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaque_on_a_tourist.jpg
>
> Showed this to P. Response: "Nope, nope, nope."

Reminds me of the video of a guy feeding cookies to a bear someplace in
the US. From his mouth.
https://fb.watch/iuP2DnCqeH/

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<trn6su$2b3he$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14664&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14664

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 03:13:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 03:13 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/4/2023 12:05 PM, Mark Olson wrote:
>> jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Just about to press the button on flights for a holiday at the end of the
>>> summer - we're planning to stay in the Andalucia region - the town is around
>>> 1hr from gibraltar airport or 1.5hrs from Malaga - so Gibraltar looks
>>> favourite.
>>>
>>> But noting that it's actually UK territory & post-brexit blah blah - any
>>> things to be aware of regarding car hire *in* Gibraltar (i.e. right at the
>>> airport) as opposed to renting in Spain?
>>
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaque_on_a_tourist.jpg#/media/File:Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaque_on_a_tourist.jpg
>>
>> Showed this to P. Response: "Nope, nope, nope."
>>

> Reminds me of the video of a guy feeding cookies to a bear someplace in
> the US. From his mouth.
> https://fb.watch/iuP2DnCqeH/

She loves bears. Sending that link now.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<mrl3bj-3p3.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14666&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14666

From: new...@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 11:53:58 +0800
 by: Boots - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 03:53 UTC

On 05/02/2023 04:05 Mark Olson penned these words:
> jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just about to press the button on flights for a holiday at the end of the
>> summer - we're planning to stay in the Andalucia region - the town is around
>> 1hr from gibraltar airport or 1.5hrs from Malaga - so Gibraltar looks
>> favourite.
>>
>> But noting that it's actually UK territory & post-brexit blah blah - any
>> things to be aware of regarding car hire *in* Gibraltar (i.e. right at the
>> airport) as opposed to renting in Spain?
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaque_on_a_tourist.jpg#/media/File:Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaque_on_a_tourist.jpg
>
> Showed this to P. Response: "Nope, nope, nope."

We get 2 types of monkey Macaques and Dusky Leaf[1] no way would I want to
interact with a Macaque they're vicious evil bastards, the Dusky Leaf OTOH are
cute and very chilled out, they tend to avoid people but I have had them come up
and check me out when I've been walking in the forest on my own but never with a
group.

[1] They are actually Langurs URL:https://langurprojectpenang.com/1520-2/
--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<trnjot$2d49m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14667&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14667

From: me...@home.nl (geoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 06:53:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: geoffC - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 06:53 UTC

On 04/02/2023 17:52, jeremy wrote:
>Just about to press the button on flights for a holiday at the end of the
>summer - we're planning to stay in the Andalucia region - the town is around
>1hr from gibraltar airport or 1.5hrs from Malaga - so Gibraltar looks
>favourite.
>
>But noting that it's actually UK territory & post-brexit blah blah - any
>things to be aware of regarding car hire *in* Gibraltar (i.e. right at the
>airport) as opposed to renting in Spain?

Never been there myself but I've heard there can be delays at the border.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187510-i1247-k5829397-Warning_border_queues-Gibraltar.html

--
Geoff
NTV 650

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<pan$d2cb5$502a9dec$6dd8d48c$4a5d09d7@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14668&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14668

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 5 Feb 2023 09:13:43 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 09:13 UTC

El Sun, 05 Feb 2023 06:53:17 +0000, geoffC escribió:

> On 04/02/2023 17:52, jeremy wrote:
>>Just about to press the button on flights for a holiday at the end of
>>the summer - we're planning to stay in the Andalucia region - the town
>>is around 1hr from gibraltar airport or 1.5hrs from Malaga - so
>>Gibraltar looks favourite.
>>
>>But noting that it's actually UK territory & post-brexit blah blah - any
>>things to be aware of regarding car hire *in* Gibraltar (i.e. right at
>>the airport) as opposed to renting in Spain?
>
> Never been there myself but I've heard there can be delays at the
> border.
>
> https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187510-i1247-k5829397-
Warning_border_queues-Gibraltar.html

I have been twice to Gibraltar. Never again. Horrible place and horrible
attitudes. And yes, you can be several hours at the border.

Just fly to Málaga and hire from one of the dozens of cheap hire
companies based at and around the airport.

Thread swerve:

Saw on telly yesterday that the other day, a Spanish customs boat broke
down after chasing narcos (Gibraltar has lots). They got to a Gibraltan
beach where they were attacked by local smugglers and British soldiers,
who fired shots at them. Nice. Oh, and the locals stole all the drugs
from the boat.

PS: They were talking about doing away with the border, but after what
just happened, it's all up in the air again.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<tro2cq$2fkdb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14669&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14669

From: me...@home.nl (geoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 11:02:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: geoffC - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 11:02 UTC

On 05/02/2023 10:13, Paul Carmichael wrote:

>Thread swerve:
>
>Saw on telly yesterday that the other day, a Spanish customs boat broke
>down after chasing narcos (Gibraltar has lots). They got to a Gibraltan
>beach where they were attacked by local smugglers and British soldiers,
>who fired shots at them. Nice. Oh, and the locals stole all the drugs
>from the boat.
>
>PS: They were talking about doing away with the border, but after what
>just happened, it's all up in the air again.

There have been a few incidents over the years I believe:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/feb/19/gibraltar.world

--
Geoff
NTV 650

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<troegt$2hp5g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14670&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14670

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 14:29:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 14:29 UTC

Boots <news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote:
> On 05/02/2023 04:05 Mark Olson penned these words:

>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaque_on_a_tourist.jpg#/media/File:Gibraltar_Barbary_Macaque_on_a_tourist.jpg
>>
>> Showed this to P. Response: "Nope, nope, nope."
>>

> We get 2 types of monkey Macaques and Dusky Leaf[1] no way would I want to
> interact with a Macaque they're vicious evil bastards, the Dusky Leaf OTOH are
> cute and very chilled out, they tend to avoid people but I have had them come up
> and check me out when I've been walking in the forest on my own but never with a
> group.
>
> [1] They are actually Langurs URL:https://langurprojectpenang.com/1520-2/

She can't abide _any_ sort of monkey, chimp, lemur, ape, aye-aye, etc.

When I told her I had seen the baboons up close in Abha at the
promenade, she nearly fainted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uH0OGlNMLw

I promised if she's ever paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair,
she is getting a helper monkey.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<a86976fa-14f0-42ae-90cc-84d8eaddbec0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14682&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14682

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 02:59:54 -0800 (PST)
From: nigel.ea...@gmail.com (WUN)
 by: WUN - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 10:59 UTC

On Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 9:13:47 AM UTC, Paul Carmichael wrote:

> I have been twice to Gibraltar. Never again. Horrible place and horrible
> attitudes. And yes, you can be several hours at the border.
>
> Just fly to Málaga and hire from one of the dozens of cheap hire
> companies based at and around the airport.

What he said. I wonder if the Gibraltarian nutter will pop up who
appeared last time we discussed what an utter shithole Gibraltar is?

He was fun.

--
WUN

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<XnsAFA38D0EF603Dwtymmmsas@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14685&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14685

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 13:52:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 13:52 UTC

jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote in

> Just about to press the button on flights for a holiday at the end of
> the summer - we're planning to stay in the Andalucia region - the town
> is around 1hr from gibraltar airport or 1.5hrs from Malaga - so
> Gibraltar looks favourite.
>
> But noting that it's actually UK territory & post-brexit blah blah -
> any things to be aware of regarding car hire *in* Gibraltar (i.e.
> right at the airport) as opposed to renting in Spain?

Go to Malaga. You'll be in your apartment before you have left Gibraltar.

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<gsr2uhdlpecs2ahfh268cthkfl8ftjh9ot@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14697&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14697

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 21:24:27 +0000
 by: Pipl - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 21:24 UTC

On Sun, 5 Feb 2023 11:02:50 -0000 (UTC), geoffC <me@home.nl> wrote:

>On 05/02/2023 10:13, Paul Carmichael wrote:
>

>>Thread swerve:
>>
>>Saw on telly yesterday that the other day, a Spanish customs boat broke
>>down after chasing narcos (Gibraltar has lots). They got to a Gibraltan
>>beach where they were attacked by local smugglers and British soldiers,
>>who fired shots at them. Nice. Oh, and the locals stole all the drugs
>>from the boat.
>>
>>PS: They were talking about doing away with the border, but after what
>>just happened, it's all up in the air again.
>>

>There have been a few incidents over the years I believe:
>
>https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/feb/19/gibraltar.world

How the fuck could they miss Gibraltar, even at night? It's a ruddy
great rock with flat Spanish terrain to the north.

--

-Pip

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<k4h47mFhrmlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14741&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14741

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 8 Feb 2023 08:19:03 GMT
 by: jeremy - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 08:19 UTC

On 6 Feb 2023 at 13:52:00 GMT, "wessie" <willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:

> jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Just about to press the button on flights for a holiday at the end of
>> the summer - we're planning to stay in the Andalucia region - the town
>> is around 1hr from gibraltar airport or 1.5hrs from Malaga - so
>> Gibraltar looks favourite.
>>
>> But noting that it's actually UK territory & post-brexit blah blah -
>> any things to be aware of regarding car hire *in* Gibraltar (i.e.
>> right at the airport) as opposed to renting in Spain?
>
> Go to Malaga. You'll be in your apartment before you have left Gibraltar.

Thanks. Not one response indicating that it's a *good* idea to go via
Gibraltar...
--
jeremy

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<bb0b6857-4f4d-4ce3-b91a-05e3c4315a34n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14771&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14771

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 09:34:38 -0800 (PST)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 17:34 UTC

jeremy wrote:
> Not one response indicating that it's a *good* idea to go via
> Gibraltar...

And you were expecting what, exactly?

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<9b1b0fe3-4a52-4c63-bc77-02770905cc59n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14772&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14772

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 09:46:30 -0800 (PST)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 17:46 UTC

On Wednesday, 8 February 2023 at 17:34:39 UTC, ogden wrote:
> jeremy wrote:
> > Not one response indicating that it's a *good* idea to go via
> > Gibraltar...
> And you were expecting what, exactly?

Someone to be a bit of a twat and encourage him?

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<4c7d0c83-85e9-4acf-901a-120b765b14e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14796&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14796

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 16:17:13 -0800 (PST)
From: nigel.ea...@gmail.com (WUN)
 by: WUN - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 00:17 UTC

On Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at 5:46:31 PM UTC, Stephen Packer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 8 February 2023 at 17:34:39 UTC, ogden wrote:
> > jeremy wrote:
> > > Not one response indicating that it's a *good* idea to go via
> > > Gibraltar...
> > And you were expecting what, exactly?
> Someone to be a bit of a twat and encourage him?

<VBG>

--
WUN

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<pan$d6301$5dc415e8$96338a62$292f9596@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14917&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14917

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 15 Feb 2023 10:15:51 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 10:15 UTC

El Sat, 04 Feb 2023 16:52:55 +0000, jeremy escribió:

> Just about to press the button on flights for a holiday at the end of
> the summer - we're planning to stay in the Andalucia region - the town
> is around 1hr from gibraltar airport or 1.5hrs from Malaga

BTW, what's the name of the town? Curiosity, as we live in the region.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: ot: car hire for spanish holiday but flying into Gibraltar

<k53v6aFg8mnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14920&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#14920

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 15 Feb 2023 11:49:30 GMT
 by: jeremy - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 11:49 UTC

On 15 Feb 2023 at 10:15:51 GMT, "Paul Carmichael" <wibbleypants@gmail.com>
wrote:

> El Sat, 04 Feb 2023 16:52:55 +0000, jeremy escribió:
>
>> Just about to press the button on flights for a holiday at the end of
>> the summer - we're planning to stay in the Andalucia region - the town
>> is around 1hr from gibraltar airport or 1.5hrs from Malaga
>
> BTW, what's the name of the town? Curiosity, as we live in the region.

Gaucin - familiar with it?

--
jeremy