Anything is possible, unless it's not.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / SOT: charging a battery shaver

SubjectAuthor
* SOT: charging a battery shaverScott
`* Re: SOT: charging a battery shaverTheo
 +* Re: SOT: charging a battery shaverScott
 |`* Re: SOT: charging a battery shaverTweed
 | `- Re: SOT: charging a battery shaverScott
 `* Re: SOT: charging a battery shaverJMB99
  `* Re: SOT: charging a battery shaverTheo
   `* Re: SOT: charging a battery shaverJMB99
    `- Re: SOT: charging a battery shaverScott

1
SOT: charging a battery shaver

<pq3fsi903dfp7pnlqm77t00a6h374orvv4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14934&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14934

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: SOT: charging a battery shaver
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 15:01:11 +0000
 by: Scott - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 15:01 UTC

I have received a new shaver from Philips as a warranty replacement.
Unlike its predecessor, it is charged via a USB port with no charger
supplied. However, the instructions say that it requires a 'certified'
charger (or I can buy a splashproof IPX4 charger from Philips). It is
unclear to me how to determine whether a charger unit is certified or
not. I have tried it with an iPhone charger and it works fine - no
excessive heat, full charge attained. Is this sufficient to allow me
to 'self-certify' the charger? Can I assume that any reputable phone
charger will be compatible?

Re: SOT: charging a battery shaver

<8Nn*0sECz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14935&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14935

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: SOT: charging a battery shaver
Date: 10 Feb 2024 15:14:24 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 15:14 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> I have received a new shaver from Philips as a warranty replacement.
> Unlike its predecessor, it is charged via a USB port with no charger
> supplied. However, the instructions say that it requires a 'certified'
> charger (or I can buy a splashproof IPX4 charger from Philips). It is
> unclear to me how to determine whether a charger unit is certified or
> not. I have tried it with an iPhone charger and it works fine - no
> excessive heat, full charge attained. Is this sufficient to allow me
> to 'self-certify' the charger? Can I assume that any reputable phone
> charger will be compatible?

They are probably meaning that if you charge it in a bathroom you need a
charger suitable for use in a bathroom. If you charge it outside a bathroom
then it doesn't need to follow electrical regs for bathroom use.

So if you have a charger that works then use it and it'll be fine, just
don't charge in the bathroom (or if the charging port is wet).

Theo

Re: SOT: charging a battery shaver

<bo4fsi9isqdvipnl0hl80eh48oork2q1bu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14936&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14936

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 15:17:34 +0000
 by: Scott - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 15:17 UTC

On 10 Feb 2024 15:14:24 +0000 (GMT), Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> I have received a new shaver from Philips as a warranty replacement.
>> Unlike its predecessor, it is charged via a USB port with no charger
>> supplied. However, the instructions say that it requires a 'certified'
>> charger (or I can buy a splashproof IPX4 charger from Philips). It is
>> unclear to me how to determine whether a charger unit is certified or
>> not. I have tried it with an iPhone charger and it works fine - no
>> excessive heat, full charge attained. Is this sufficient to allow me
>> to 'self-certify' the charger? Can I assume that any reputable phone
>> charger will be compatible?
>
>They are probably meaning that if you charge it in a bathroom you need a
>charger suitable for use in a bathroom. If you charge it outside a bathroom
>then it doesn't need to follow electrical regs for bathroom use.
>
>So if you have a charger that works then use it and it'll be fine, just
>don't charge in the bathroom (or if the charging port is wet).

Thanks for responding so quickly. This was my assumption but I wanted
to check there is no need to compare amperages or anything.

Re: SOT: charging a battery shaver

<uq84qt$37l2p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14938&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14938

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 15:30:37 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tF5nquObdvd/AQ2tyNAhSpLXfgo=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 15:30 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2024 15:14:24 +0000 (GMT), Theo
> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I have received a new shaver from Philips as a warranty replacement.
>>> Unlike its predecessor, it is charged via a USB port with no charger
>>> supplied. However, the instructions say that it requires a 'certified'
>>> charger (or I can buy a splashproof IPX4 charger from Philips). It is
>>> unclear to me how to determine whether a charger unit is certified or
>>> not. I have tried it with an iPhone charger and it works fine - no
>>> excessive heat, full charge attained. Is this sufficient to allow me
>>> to 'self-certify' the charger? Can I assume that any reputable phone
>>> charger will be compatible?
>>
>> They are probably meaning that if you charge it in a bathroom you need a
>> charger suitable for use in a bathroom. If you charge it outside a bathroom
>> then it doesn't need to follow electrical regs for bathroom use.
>>
>> So if you have a charger that works then use it and it'll be fine, just
>> don't charge in the bathroom (or if the charging port is wet).
>>
> Thanks for responding so quickly. This was my assumption but I wanted
> to check there is no need to compare amperages or anything.

1 Amp or greater USB charger

https://www.philips.iq/en/c-f/XC000019396/how-do-i-charge-my-philips-shaver

Charging with a USB cable

If your Philips shaver comes with a USB charging cable, we recommend
charging it using an adapter with an output rating of 5 V, ≥ 1 A. For safe
charging in a moist environment (e.g. in a bathroom), only use an IPX4
(splash-proof) adapter.

Re: SOT: charging a battery shaver

<9f8fsiptohkf4dmqdkj24utikpgkrea4b4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14939&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14939

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:21:13 +0000
 by: Scott - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:21 UTC

On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 15:30:37 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
<usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 10 Feb 2024 15:14:24 +0000 (GMT), Theo
>> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>>> They are probably meaning that if you charge it in a bathroom you need a
>>> charger suitable for use in a bathroom. If you charge it outside a bathroom
>>> then it doesn't need to follow electrical regs for bathroom use.
>>>
>>> So if you have a charger that works then use it and it'll be fine, just
>>> don't charge in the bathroom (or if the charging port is wet).
>>>
>> Thanks for responding so quickly. This was my assumption but I wanted
>> to check there is no need to compare amperages or anything.
>>

>1 Amp or greater USB charger
>
>https://www.philips.iq/en/c-f/XC000019396/how-do-i-charge-my-philips-shaver
>
>Charging with a USB cable
>
>If your Philips shaver comes with a USB charging cable, we recommend
>charging it using an adapter with an output rating of 5 V, ? 1 A. For safe
>charging in a moist environment (e.g. in a bathroom), only use an IPX4
>(splash-proof) adapter.

Mea culpa I think. I missed the significance of the 'greater than or
equal to' symbol and I could not read the writing on the iPhone
charger. I'm sure it could be expressed in simpler terms for a
consumer audience.

Re: SOT: charging a battery shaver

<uqd3o0$1g71b$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14940&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14940

From: mb...@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 12:42:41 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 12:42 UTC

On 10/02/2024 15:14, Theo wrote:
> They are probably meaning that if you charge it in a bathroom you need a
> charger suitable for use in a bathroom. If you charge it outside a bathroom
> then it doesn't need to follow electrical regs for bathroom use.
>
> So if you have a charger that works then use it and it'll be fine, just
> don't charge in the bathroom (or if the charging port is wet).

Also covering themselves so if you return it as faulty, they can ask if
you used an approved charger and refuse to replace if you did not.

Re: SOT: charging a battery shaver

<8Nn*+ROCz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14943&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14943

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 12 Feb 2024 14:32:24 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:32 UTC

JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 10/02/2024 15:14, Theo wrote:
> > They are probably meaning that if you charge it in a bathroom you need a
> > charger suitable for use in a bathroom. If you charge it outside a bathroom
> > then it doesn't need to follow electrical regs for bathroom use.
> >
> > So if you have a charger that works then use it and it'll be fine, just
> > don't charge in the bathroom (or if the charging port is wet).
>

> Also covering themselves so if you return it as faulty, they can ask if
> you used an approved charger and refuse to replace if you did not.

To do that they would need to state what counts as an approved charger.
Who does the approval and approved to what standard?

Theo

Re: SOT: charging a battery shaver

<uqdj3p$1kgjo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14944&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14944

From: mb...@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 17:04:58 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 17:04 UTC

On 12/02/2024 14:32, Theo wrote:
> To do that they would need to state what counts as an approved charger.
> Who does the approval and approved to what standard?

Just specify that the item needs a charger made by them and quote the
type number.

Re: SOT: charging a battery shaver

<tdfssi1f84qk1fpm7r9qd892r4uo1vcgoo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14961&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14961

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 16:41:24 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 16:41 UTC

On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 17:04:58 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 12/02/2024 14:32, Theo wrote:
>> To do that they would need to state what counts as an approved charger.
>> Who does the approval and approved to what standard?
>
>Just specify that the item needs a charger made by them and quote the
>type number.

But they have not done this. The say it can be charged from USB and
you *can* buy an IPX4 charger from Philips *if* you wish. Hence my
question in the first place.

(From the answers, I am assuming if the unit requires 1 amp, any
charger providing more than 1 amp should be okay.)