HOORAY, Ronald!! Now YOU can marry LINDA RONSTADT too!!

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Re: Pixel 5 end of support

SubjectAuthor
* Pixel 5 end of supportScott
`* Pixel 5 end of supportAndy Burns
 `* Pixel 5 end of supportCharlie
  `* Pixel 5 end of supportAndy Burns
   `* Pixel 5 end of supportAndy Burns
    `* Pixel 5 end of supportScott
     `* Pixel 5 end of supportAndy Burns
      `* Pixel 5 end of supportScott
       +* Pixel 5 end of supportAndy Burns
       |`* Pixel 5 end of supportScott
       | +* Pixel 5 end of supportAndy Burns
       | |`* Pixel 5 end of supportJava Jive
       | | `* Pixel 5 end of supportScott
       | |  `- Pixel 5 end of supportJava Jive
       | `* Re: Pixel 5 end of supportTheo
       |  +- Re: Pixel 5 end of supportAndy Burns
       |  `- Re: Pixel 5 end of supportJava Jive
       `- Re: Pixel 5 end of supportAndy Burns

1
Pixel 5 end of support

<rm7cnipreqp5k939cq8t9m81pr1e7n1ebj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14605&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14605

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Pixel 5 end of support
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:28:30 +0000
 by: Scott - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:28 UTC

I understand that support for my Pixel 5 ended in October, though I
have received Android 14 and a November update. Should I be
concerned, and is there a way to overcome this?

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<ktmml9F27r3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14606&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14606

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Pixel 5 end of support
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:50:47 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:50 UTC

Scott wrote:

> I understand that support for my Pixel 5 ended in October, though I
> have received Android 14 and a November update.

Sounds about right, e.g. my Pixel3 got a major version upgrade right at
the end if its support life, then a couple of "bonus" bugfixes over the
next few months. My Pixel 5a will run out of support in August, so I'll
be hoping the Pixel 8a is released May'ish and comes down in price
around October'ish.

> Should I be concerned, and is there a way to overcome this?

Only by moving to e.g. LineageOS or another 3rd party ROM.

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<unlaqb$1qcq$1@neodome.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14734&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14734

From: char...@nospam.com (Charlie)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 22:43:40 -0700
 by: Charlie - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 05:43 UTC

On this Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:50:47 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

>> I understand that support for my Pixel 5 ended in October, though I
>> have received Android 14 and a November update.
>
> Sounds about right, e.g. my Pixel3 got a major version upgrade right at
> the end if its support life, then a couple of "bonus" bugfixes over the
> next few months. My Pixel 5a will run out of support in August, so I'll
> be hoping the Pixel 8a is released May'ish and comes down in price
> around October'ish.

Do you still get project mainline google play system updates on that pixel?

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<l0754oF5768U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14736&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14736

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:08:40 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:08 UTC

Charlie wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> my Pixel3 got a major version upgrade right at the end if its
>> support life, then a couple of "bonus" bugfixes over the next few
>> months.
>
> Do you still get project mainline google play system updates on that pixel?

I'll stick it on charge ...

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<l07c1qF57urU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14741&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14741

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:06:34 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:06 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> Charlie wrote:
>
>> Do you still get project mainline google play system updates on that
>> pixel?
>
> I'll stick it on charge ...

It's received a further "bonus" Android Security upgrade (only 243kB to
enable VoLTE roaming related to 3G shutdown) but the build date didn't
change from September 21, and it now displays "Regular updates have
ended for this device".

And a couple of Play System updates (1.2MB plus 69MB) the date did
change to November 23

Doing the normal Play store app updates, got a message "Can't install
Google Support Services"

I still don't know how to tell which individual system components have
received updates ...

And I *still* think the Pixel3 is a nicer physical device than the
Pixel5a, but battery life is looking poor (it's eaten 30% already, OK
it's been busy downloading and installing).

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<c0btpihddmus2ehdrnio9kr3jhdp2l3e7s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14750&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14750

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:39:35 +0000
 by: Scott - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:39 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:06:34 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Charlie wrote:
>>
>>> Do you still get project mainline google play system updates on that
>>> pixel?
>>
>> I'll stick it on charge ...
>
>It's received a further "bonus" Android Security upgrade (only 243kB to
>enable VoLTE roaming related to 3G shutdown) but the build date didn't
>change from September 21, and it now displays "Regular updates have
>ended for this device".
>
>And a couple of Play System updates (1.2MB plus 69MB) the date did
>change to November 23
>
>Doing the normal Play store app updates, got a message "Can't install
>Google Support Services"
>
>I still don't know how to tell which individual system components have
>received updates ...
>
>And I *still* think the Pixel3 is a nicer physical device than the
>Pixel5a, but battery life is looking poor (it's eaten 30% already, OK
>it's been busy downloading and installing).

Any merit in moving to an alternative operating system, or would this
be even more out of date?

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<l07rnfF954dU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14754&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14754

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:34:05 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:34 UTC

Scott wrote:

> Any merit in moving to an alternative operating system, or would this
> be even more out of date?
The Pixel3 is running the final version of android12, I'm pretty sure it
would run LineageOS20 (based on android13), which I suspect will be
supported for at least a couple more years.

The phone is already 2+ years past EoL and the battery is feeling it,
it's basically just my backup phone, I never seem to have time on my
hands to tinker nowadays ...

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<bdftpi91qevkqd6cuqmosr42k9h93jmv03@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14755&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14755

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:56:13 +0000
 by: Scott - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:56 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:34:05 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>
>> Any merit in moving to an alternative operating system, or would this
>> be even more out of date?
>The Pixel3 is running the final version of android12, I'm pretty sure it
>would run LineageOS20 (based on android13), which I suspect will be
>supported for at least a couple more years.
>
>The phone is already 2+ years past EoL and the battery is feeling it,
>it's basically just my backup phone, I never seem to have time on my
>hands to tinker nowadays ...

Yes, but I have Android 14 (on Pixel 5). I am wondering if there will
come a point when Lineage is ahead of Android 14. Also, what is the
risk of apps not running?

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<l07uumF954dU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14756&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14756

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:29:08 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:29 UTC

Scott wrote:

> I have Android 14 (on Pixel 5). I am wondering if there will
> come a point when Lineage is ahead of Android 14.

I suspect LineageOS 21 isn't too far away (for Pixels) and probably will
have security fixes newer that the final Pixel5 release. Has yours had
any "bonus" fixes since october?

> Also, what is the risk of apps not running?

The last devices that I ran 3rd party ROMs on were Nexus1 and Nexus7, so
difficult to say ... but always easy enough to try and then put a Pixel
back to the last factory version.

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<4mmtpid6snrbgt2dcaf45u5ap30vabie6r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14761&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14761

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:09:05 +0000
 by: Scott - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:09 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:29:08 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>
>> I have Android 14 (on Pixel 5). I am wondering if there will
>> come a point when Lineage is ahead of Android 14.
>
>I suspect LineageOS 21 isn't too far away (for Pixels) and probably will
>have security fixes newer that the final Pixel5 release. Has yours had
>any "bonus" fixes since october?

I don't know but I received Android 14, which may have incorporated
some early security fixes.

>> Also, what is the risk of apps not running?
>
>The last devices that I ran 3rd party ROMs on were Nexus1 and Nexus7, so
>difficult to say ... but always easy enough to try and then put a Pixel
>back to the last factory version.

Can it be assumed all core Android functions will work - phone calls,
messages, calendar, contacts, camera? Can it be assumed almost all
mainstream apps will work - eg, emails, BBC, Sky News, National Rail
Enquiries?

I think the last time I installed a third party OS (Cyanogen?) the
camera never worked properly so I am reluctant to depart from my
comfort zone to deal with a hypothetical risk.

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<l085boFb4g3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14763&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14763

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:18:31 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:18 UTC

Scott wrote:

> Can it be assumed all core Android functions will work - phone calls,
> messages, calendar, contacts, camera? Can it be assumed almost all
> mainstream apps will work - eg, emails, BBC, Sky News, National Rail
> Enquiries?

I would think so, a long time ago rooting was synonymous with 3rd party
ROMs, banking apps objected, I think nowadays you don't have to run as root.

> I think the last time I installed a third party OS (Cyanogen?) the
> camera never worked properly so I am reluctant to depart from my
> comfort zone to deal with a hypothetical risk.

Camera was a sticking point for me too back then (and maybe NFC, can't
remember).

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<unmnqd$2jg1a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14764&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14764

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:31:42 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:31 UTC

On 10/01/2024 18:18, Andy Burns wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
>> Can it be assumed all core Android functions will work - phone calls,
>> messages, calendar, contacts, camera? Can it be assumed almost all
>> mainstream apps will work - eg, emails, BBC, Sky News, National Rail
>> Enquiries?
>
> I would think so, a long time ago rooting was synonymous with 3rd party
> ROMs, banking apps objected, I think nowadays you don't have to run as
> root.
>
>> I think the last time I installed a third party OS (Cyanogen?) the
>> camera never worked properly so I am reluctant to depart from my
>> comfort zone to deal with a hypothetical risk.
>
> Camera was a sticking point for me too back then (and maybe NFC, can't
> remember).

For me it was phone calls, rather a basic failure, I couldn't hear
callers, but they could hear me.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<mjptpih9kib5rrqoc5u3gqnj0vg2chhpjd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14765&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14765

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:48:37 +0000
References: <rm7cnipreqp5k939cq8t9m81pr1e7n1ebj@4ax.com> <ktmml9F27r3U2@mid.individual.net> <unlaqb$1qcq$1@neodome.net> <l0754oF5768U1@mid.individual.net> <l07c1qF57urU2@mid.individual.net> <c0btpihddmus2ehdrnio9kr3jhdp2l3e7s@4ax.com> <l07rnfF954dU2@mid.individual.net> <bdftpi91qevkqd6cuqmosr42k9h93jmv03@4ax.com> <l07uumF954dU3@mid.individual.net> <4mmtpid6snrbgt2dcaf45u5ap30vabie6r@4ax.com> <l085boFb4g3U1@mid.individual.net> <unmnqd$2jg1a$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Scott - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:48 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:31:42 +0000, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 10/01/2024 18:18, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Scott wrote:
>>
>>> Can it be assumed all core Android functions will work - phone calls,
>>> messages, calendar, contacts, camera? Can it be assumed almost all
>>> mainstream apps will work - eg, emails, BBC, Sky News, National Rail
>>> Enquiries?
>>
>> I would think so, a long time ago rooting was synonymous with 3rd party
>> ROMs, banking apps objected, I think nowadays you don't have to run as
>> root.
>>
>>> I think the last time I installed a third party OS (Cyanogen?) the
>>> camera never worked properly so I am reluctant to depart from my
>>> comfort zone to deal with a hypothetical risk.
>>
>> Camera was a sticking point for me too back then (and maybe NFC, can't
>> remember).
>
>For me it was phone calls, rather a basic failure, I couldn't hear
>callers, but they could hear me.

I am becoming discouraged now.

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<unmrmr$2k4a1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14766&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14766

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:38:05 +0000
<ktmml9F27r3U2@mid.individual.net> <unlaqb$1qcq$1@neodome.net>
<l0754oF5768U1@mid.individual.net> <l07c1qF57urU2@mid.individual.net>
<c0btpihddmus2ehdrnio9kr3jhdp2l3e7s@4ax.com>
<l07rnfF954dU2@mid.individual.net>
<bdftpi91qevkqd6cuqmosr42k9h93jmv03@4ax.com>
<l07uumF954dU3@mid.individual.net>
<4mmtpid6snrbgt2dcaf45u5ap30vabie6r@4ax.com>
<l085boFb4g3U1@mid.individual.net> <unmnqd$2jg1a$1@dont-email.me>
<mjptpih9kib5rrqoc5u3gqnj0vg2chhpjd@4ax.com>
 by: Java Jive - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:38 UTC

On 10/01/2024 18:48, Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:31:42 +0000, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> I would think so, a long time ago rooting was synonymous with 3rd party
>>> ROMs, banking apps objected, I think nowadays you don't have to run as
>>> root.

>>> Camera was a sticking point for me too back then (and maybe NFC, can't
>>> remember).
>>
>> For me it was phone calls, rather a basic failure, I couldn't hear
>> callers, but they could hear me.
>
> I am becoming discouraged now.

It was about 5 or 6 years ago, so things may have improved since.
Probably try on an old or spare phone first, if you have one.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<Lkc*4-+zz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14769&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14769

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 11 Jan 2024 10:16:01 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:16 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> Can it be assumed all core Android functions will work - phone calls,
> messages, calendar, contacts, camera? Can it be assumed almost all
> mainstream apps will work - eg, emails, BBC, Sky News, National Rail
> Enquiries?
>
> I think the last time I installed a third party OS (Cyanogen?) the
> camera never worked properly so I am reluctant to depart from my
> comfort zone to deal with a hypothetical risk.

LineageOS won't make a phone an 'official' device unless all the hardware
works. Those are rather few nowadays because of their strict policy on
this. Community builds for unsupported devices from some random dev on
XDA-Developers may be lacking in support for some bit of hardware or other
(fingerprint reader or NFC or something) but are often usable if you can put
up with that.

'Working' does not mean the full features of the stock OS - eg you won't get
Google's AI camera voodoo unless you install Google's camera app (and maybe
Google lock that down for some reason).

Also, LineageOS ships without Google Play Services and Play Store by
default. The Google Apps (GApps) are a separate download which you need to
flash separately. Or you can use non-GPS apps and app stores if you prefer.

Some banking apps do Play Integrity checks and don't work (Lloyds/Halifax is
one), but many do.

I can also suggest DivestOS as they are specifically targeting older
unsupported phones and may have better support, as well as better security.
A comparison:
https://eylenburg.github.io/android_comparison.htm

Theo

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<l09vbgFl9fcU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14771&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14771

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:48:17 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:48 UTC

Theo wrote:

> https://eylenburg.github.io/android_comparison.htm

Handy, thanks ...

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<unoihb$2vb37$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14773&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14773

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:13:49 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:13 UTC

On 11/01/2024 10:16, Theo wrote:

> I can also suggest DivestOS

Not to be confused with DomestOS!

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Pixel 5 end of support

<KwmdnQ588PU5fE34nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=14970&group=uk.telecom.mobile#14970

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:41:06 +0000
From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:41 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>
>> I have Android 14 (on Pixel 5). I am wondering if there will
>> come a point when Lineage is ahead of Android 14.
>
> I suspect LineageOS 21 isn't too far away (for Pixels)

Initial release out now

<https://lineageos.org/Changelog-28>

But I only see builds for pixel6 and newer so far ...